Author Topic: What's your favorite thing to do in fall?  (Read 42497 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: What's your favorite thing to do in fall?
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »
Clarrissa.. when you're talking about time being precious..it reminded me... how is your friend?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 05:32:13 pm »
I  miss all the russets, oranges, and other glorious colours of autumn in England, I don't miss the grey and damp drizzle. I positively am delighted not to have to cope with mountains of leaves, particularly when they turn all slushy ands slimy on the pavement/side walk.
What I love here, is Halloween, and Thanksgiving, plus the general feeling in the air that Xmas the best time of the year is around the corner. l can feel the anticipation in the air. I am not mad keen on doing 2 turkey dinners !!!!
We are starting to see Halloween decs. going up already, ooh and I love roast chestnuts and being able to stand in the sea in the fall.That never ceases to fill me with awe. A couple of beers on the beach in the evening, knowing it is cold and wet back in England.
I go so over the top with my Halloween decs. I will post pics when they are up, it is all so new to me.We have an amazing Hallowen night here.The club hires out golf carts and all the kids go round in amazing costumes.All the residents take part and there are beer stops, Margarita stops etc for the adults, it is really a sight to behold.Some of the real big houses have bands in their yards and all sorts going on. Even after 3 years my eyes are still out on stalks. Then there is a big party and dance up at the club, which is decked out as a dungeon and haunted house.Then we just walk back to the house. It is gated so it is so safe, and yes it really is an amazing night.

I love Halloween too! :D

Those Halloween activities in your neighborhood sound like so much fun! I wish my neighborhood did that. The house down the street throws a party each Halloween but that is about it. I've been a couple of times. Mostly the party is for the neighborhood kids with some alcoholic drinks for the adults. Generally what ends up happening though is the kids rushing through their trick-or-treating so they can get to the party in plenty of time, which means some of us on the other side of the neighborhood don't get as many trick-or-treaters as we used to.

Over in Speedway there are no Halloween parties at all in my neighborhood (that I'm aware of anyway), at least not on Halloween night, but we do have lots and lots of kids trick-or-treating. I like what your neighborhood does much better. And since it is a gated community everyone stays safe.

The haunted houses around town are always lots of fun and I love going to some of them each year with friends. They are getting pretty expensive though. Some around here charge upwards of $20.00 per person. It's only once a year though so it is worth it imo. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 04:07:28 am »
We are still having very warm weather here, but every day I'm noticing some new tree that didn't have color before.  One of my favorite things happened for me two falls ago, and I was able to repeat it last year, and hoping to this year.  There is a winding street in Seattle with one kind of tree planted all along it at frequent, regular intervals on both sides.  One day two years ago, I happened to drive down it on just the right windy, sunlit day when the many very small bright yellow leaves, were swirling and blowing all around over and around the street.  It was like wonderland.  One of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen.  I hope that happens for me again this year.

We are spending a lot of time outside with various friends these days, since when the weather does turn, we'll probably get a lot of rain.  So for now, each clear day seems extra precious.  We were outside yesterday from 1pm to 8pm constantly, except for a half hour break in an ice cream shop and later an hour in a restaurant.  We watched a beautiful orange sunset and tipped our hats at the equal night and day.

That day came today.  We drove down that sun-dappled golden street today.  I'm going to try to remember to do it again tomorrow.  After that we'll be away for nearly a week, and I think the leaves will be off those trees when we come home.

Kelda - thanks for asking, my friend Jana is doing remarkably better.  She is still having a lot of confusion, but she is getting stronger each day.  A big miracle.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 10:42:28 am »
Hey Elle, so glad you got to see your golden street, and that Jana is doing better.

I have a favorite fall tradition.  Every year, a friend and I schlep down to Rhode Island for a little reunion with friends we used to work with.  We visit their little town and hang out with their two great kids.  I'm in charge of bringing donuts on the way:  a pink one for Talia, and chocolate for Max.

The big event is apple picking, in a special, famly-run orchard that has more than a dozen different varieties, plus some ancient trees that "have always been there" with their mysterious, unknown, unnamed apples.  We grab a red wagon, a bunch of bags, and these lacrosse-like sticks for picking the high-up apples.  Most of the trees have hand-carved wooden signs announcing their variety, along with a colored spool indicating the best time to pick.  It's never crowded, the smell is intoxicating, and we sample along the way.  The kids have a blast, helping choose just the right apple, or simply getting a ride in the wagon.  Last year, the quince were abundant too, and my friend Joey made some chutney.

After the apples, it's time for a little treat for the adults.  We visit a nearby vineyard and winery, hang out on the beautiful grounds, taste a little wine (Rhode Island wine is often very bad), and listen to the jazz trio in the tasting room. 

Then it's home for cooking something vegetarian, and something with all those apples! 

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 06:42:05 pm »
Thank you all for sharing your lovely autumn reports.. I loved them, makes me think autumn do have a purpose. :D

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 08:56:03 pm »
Fall is my favorite season in Florida because the weather is most beautiful. The highs are in the low 80's and the nites are in the 50 and 60's which makes great sleeping weather. Also the humidity is gone so this is my favorite time to do outside work like trimming and painting.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline optom3

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 11:32:34 pm »
Fall is my favorite season in Florida because the weather is most beautiful. The highs are in the low 80's and the nites are in the 50 and 60's which makes great sleeping weather. Also the humidity is gone so this is my favorite time to do outside work like trimming and painting.

TampaTalon^">

I 100% agree with you, I will never get over the fact that I can sit outside in the fall, in lovely balmy temperatures, it is such a treat. Some weekends I have even stood in the sea to watch the sunset, which is truly spectacular, and to a Brit. nothing short of miraculous.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 05:15:46 pm »
 :D Fall is pretty much my favorite time of year, although the rest of the year is great too.

I love the smell of the fresh air, crisp and clean, like apples, leaves and pumpkins.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 06:00:06 pm »
Fall is always an exciting time of year in the performing arts world. Every theatre company, orchestra, ballet company, and opera company starts its season in September. Its always a time of great performances, and gala receptions. This year in particular, the galas have proven to be fertile networking ground for me from a business perspective, I have made some good connections that have potential to turn into sales down the road.

Yep...I LOVE Fall.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 06:21:06 pm »
It's fall?    We just got over a heat wave here in So Cal.   But we're weird that way.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"