Author Topic: Donnie Darko - SPOILERS  (Read 34863 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Donnie Darko - SPOILERS
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2007, 01:23:23 pm »
An early Easter gift...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2007, 08:50:07 pm »
Ellen, those are *SO* cool.  Where'd you find 'em?

No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2007, 02:34:09 am »
An early Easter gift...

Ohh!!  :o

I see the face of that mean 'ol bunny on that egg!

Cwazy Wabbit!

I hope he doesn't come to my house this Easter.  :P

I also saw the movie again, saw it the first time in 2001 and didn't understand a thing... Well, that improved slightly, but I still have a hard time understanding the ending.

I absolutely LOVED the smurf dialogue, god, that was hilarious!!!! :laugh:

Don't feel bad Melissa. I've probably watched it 10 times, and I don't get any of it!

But who cares? Jake is cute and Drew Barrymore ROCKED!!  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2007, 03:29:30 am »
Ellen, those are *SO* cool.  Where'd you find 'em?

(Barb, you know that's not really my name, right?)

I found them when I was Googling for a good Donnie Darko photo for your birthday thread!!  :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2007, 09:30:00 am »
(Barb, you know that's not really my name, right?)

I found them when I was Googling for a good Donnie Darko photo for your birthday thread!!  :)

Yes, Clarissa, I know.  :)

Don't know what possessed me to call you Ellen, though - I think I was going for "Elle" and slipped.

Anyway, thank you for your efforts! 
No more beans!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2007, 04:28:31 pm »
I LOVE Donnie Darko, just LOVE it, saw the director's cut over the weekend and it blew me away.

The whole film has this sort of schizoid spirituality to it. Donnie as a Christ-like figure who has to die to save the world, the 6 foot bunny rabbit...whole thing is amazing. Everybody sick of it or do you want to talk about it?
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2007, 04:54:48 pm »
Sick of it???  Who do you think you're talking to?  ;)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it, too.  I like the way you put it: that it has a certain "schizoid spirituality."  Excellent call.

Another one of the many things I love about it is the late 80s music.  Tears for Fears stuff in general is very evocative to me - 1988 was a pivotal year for me, as it was when I went from being utterly heartbroken by someone I'd been head-over-heels in love with and on the verge of major depression to meeting and falling in love with the man I would marry and have been married to since 1990, all in the space of about 9 months.

I especially love the camerawork in the "Head Over Heels" sequence - and how pretty much all the major players in the movie are shown in a space of about 90 seconds.  Lovely.
No more beans!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2007, 05:03:49 pm »
I...NEED...to see it again.

I had caught part of it on HBO a few months ago and afterwards I was like: what the hell did I just see??? It really threw me. Over the weekend I put on the director's cut and can't see why people are so confused by it. Was the theater version different? It was on HBO Saturday, seemed to be different but I only caught about half an hour of it.

This film doesn't confuse me at all. But it DOES pose questions that need to be answered!
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2007, 07:45:22 pm »
Yes - the original theater and DVD version are different from the Director's Cut.  They don't include all the excerpts from the chapter's of Grandma Death's book.  I agree that when you have those, there's no confusion whatsoever.

I don't remember being confused by it the first time I saw it years ago - just wondering if it had all really happened to him or if it had been just a dream.  Apparently, the answer is "both."

No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2007, 09:13:41 pm »
Yes - the original theater and DVD version are different from the Director's Cut.  They don't include all the excerpts from the chapter's of Grandma Death's book.  I agree that when you have those, there's no confusion whatsoever.

I don't remember being confused by it the first time I saw it years ago - just wondering if it had all really happened to him or if it had been just a dream.  Apparently, the answer is "both."

Is that correct?  ???  I read an article in "Empire" a couple of years ago where the director made it clear that the events really happened.  I had been thinking that it was all in Donnie's head - one thing tipped me off, but it was easily explained away - so I guess I'm on board with what the director intended.  :-\