Author Topic: Women should have the vote taken away says conservative author  (Read 4058 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Women should have the vote taken away says conservative author
« on: October 01, 2009, 11:57:48 am »

Even in the West and 21st century, women's rights are bandied about by some men as something that it's up to them to give or take.  Just boggles the mind.

John Derbyshire, a British-American conservative author and columnist for the National Review, has written a new book titled We Are Doomed: Reclaiming Conservative Pessimism. The book contains a section called “The Case Against Female Suffrage.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/09/30/derbyshire-female-suffrage/

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: Women should have the vote taken away says conservative author
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:11:19 pm »
Even in the West and 21st century, women's rights are bandied about by some men as something that it's up to them to give or take.  Just boggles the mind.

John Derbyshire, a British-American conservative author and columnist for the National Review, has written a new book titled We Are Doomed: Reclaiming Conservative Pessimism. The book contains a section called “The Case Against Female Suffrage.”

Well of course!  Us men are the masters, and if you don't believe it, just ask us!   :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:13:59 pm »
Well of course!  Us men are the masters, and if you don't believe it, just ask us!   :laugh:

That basically it.  Some men have such a superiority complex (to mask their feelings of inferiority, I guess) that they feel that other people's rights are up to them.  THEY will graciously grant these rights and having given them feel free to suggest that taking them is also an option left up to them whenever they feel like it.

The arrogance is astounding.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:24:40 pm »
......We Are Doomed: Reclaiming Conservative Pessimism. The book contains a section called “The Case Against Female Suffrage.”[/b]

I am considering writing a book myself, where one prominent chapter if so will be called: "The Case Against John Derbyshire's Freedom of Speech".

I'm sure he will agree my right to pursue that matter is as valid as his efforts to deny me the right to vote.  ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 01:20:34 pm »

That would serve Ann Coulter right. Didn't she say something similar, once? Evidently she forgot that she'd lose her vote, too.

Unless she's really a drag queen, which I've long suspected. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 01:51:43 pm »
"DERBYSHIRE: Among the hopes that I do not realistically nurse is the hope that female suffrage will be repealed. But I’ll say this – if it were to be, I wouldn’t lose a minute’s sleep.

COLMES: We’d be a better country if women didn’t vote?

DERBYSHIRE: Probably. Don’t you think so?

COLMES: No, I do not think so whatsoever.

DERBYSHIRE: Come on Alan. Come clean here [laughing].

COLMES: We would be a better country? John Derbyshire making the statement, we would be a better country if women did not vote.

DERBYSHIRE: Yeah, probably."

You know, sometimes it's refreshing to have these guys just come right out and say it - because you just know there are more than a few National Review readers who would nod their heads in agreement, but don't want to state it publicly.

Later in the interview, Derbyshire said there’s also a case to be made for repealing the 1964 Civil Rights Act because you “shouldn’t try to force people to be good.”

Ah, a racist as well as a misogynist.  Why doesn't this surprise me. 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 03:05:19 pm »
I am considering writing a book myself, where one prominent chapter if so will be called: "The Case Against John Derbyshire's Freedom of Speech".

I'm sure he will agree my right to pursue that matter is as valid as his efforts to deny me the right to vote.  ::)

I'll buy a copy.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:55:37 pm »
That would serve Ann Coulter right. Didn't she say something similar, once? Evidently she forgot that she'd lose her vote, too.

Unless she's really a drag queen, which I've long suspected. ...

:D :D :D :D :D :D