Author Topic: Two trailers  (Read 2150 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Two trailers
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:40:09 pm »
Until yesterday, I hadn't realized that there were two trailers for Brokeback Mountain - one in English, the other in French. And they're far from identical. They both, however, employ deleted scenes but, in the French version, the "sneering mechanics" scene, perhaps significantly, does not occur. Anyway, here are the two versions:

English

French

Any comments?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Two trailers
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 03:50:18 pm »

I also noticed that the French version showed less from FNIT that the US version.

Overall, the US version followed the chronological order to a higher degree, than the French trailer.

I must say it´s slightly traumatic to hear two uneducated Wyoming cowboys speaking French :laugh:

As always, I get goosebumps when watching the trailer.

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Two trailers
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 02:06:10 pm »
I note, as well, that in the French version, the title is not just Brokeback Mountain but The Secret of Brokeback Mountain.  For me, this narrows the focus of the movie from the more general to the more specific - the fact that Jack and Ennis have to keep their affair a secret. I wondered whether the French version had more shots of Ennis and Jack as married men with children but I don't think this is the case. Nevertheless, after reading the French title, I became more aware of the domestic shots of Jack and Ennis in the French version than I have been when watching the English version.

By the way, an Italian Broke friend tells me that in Italy it's the English version of the trailer that gets shown though, obviously, dubbed into Italian. So it looks as though the French version was made specifically for the French market.