Author Topic: Annie Proulx, classic writer  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Annie Proulx, classic writer
« on: August 09, 2006, 11:58:39 am »
I was posting in the dozy embrace topic about the part of the story that was the basis of the filmed scene.  A single word slightly changed the meaning of the scene as written, gave it the depth of years.

And I got to thinking about my admiration of the writing.   Ang Lee subtly emphasized certain romantic elements, but he was building on a classic foundation.

So I'm copying in a post from way back in another forum about a particular sentence that I have always admired especially.  The post follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like other great art Proulx's story feeds on itself and then slowly grows from itself.  We need to go back time and time again to reread and see how it has changed since we left it, see how the shadows of sentences we noticed before have shifted, letting a brighter light fall on others.

Annie Proulx is a classical writer.  She is interested in facts.  Edith Hamilton describes the enormous plainness and simplicity of the ancient Greek writers in The Greek Way and this style informs Hamilton's own retelling of the Greek myths in her best-known work.

Proulx has this plainness.  ' "As Annie Proulx said in an interview, we 'added flesh to the long bones' of her
story," says Ossana' - that is from the Variety interview,http://www.variety.com/ac2006_article/VR1117934900 

No, Proulx is not only plain.  She describes her discovery of herself as a metaphorist while listening to music at a very early age.  The metaphors in the story, especially the lyrical nature ones, are easily identified as 'fine writing' and are often pulled out for special notice.  But just as the opposites of Jack and Ennis play off each other, each depending on the other's difference, so in Proulx's style the color and the plainness give each other the lift.

This post is about the plainness.

When you go back to the story to remind yourself how Proulx shows the passage of twenty years, the gradual accumulation of the most essential moments in Jack's and Ennis' lives, it is amazing to find the core of it in a single sentence.

Before this sentence, we have the first reunion and the motel scene and then a two-page summary of Ennis' life in Riverton since, without Jack: the 'widening water' between him and Alma, the divorce, the Thanksgiving dinner.

After this sentence, we have a one-paragraph summary of Jack's life in Texas in the intervening years, without Ennis, then a long description of ... the final meeting.  Can this be all?

This sentence is in the tradition of the epic writers - Homer, Virgil, Milton - who derived some of the quality of vastness of time and space with catalogs like this of heroes' names, of place names.

By its brevity, along with the vastness it simultaneously gives the impression of a single moment, an entire life reviewed in an instant, a thousand experiences collapsed into one, as happens to people who know they are at the moment of death.

The repetition, the rhythm is like a heart beat.

It feeds my soul to say this sentence to myself with my voice, recreate it here with my hands, to other faraway people.

Years on years they worked their way through the high meadows and mountain drainages, horse-packing into the Big Horns, Medicine Bows, south end of the Gallatins, Absarokas, Granites, Owl Creeks, the Bridger-Teton Range, the Freezeouts and the Shirleys, Ferrises and the Rattlesnakes, Salt River Range, into the Wind Rivers over and again, the Sierra Madres, Gros Ventres, the Washakies, Laramies, but never returning to Brokeback. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Annie Proulx, classic writer
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:31:36 pm »
I love that sentence, too, Andrew, especially that "Years on years." It practically seems to encompass an eternity in three little words--and two of them are the same word!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:32:03 am »
Beautiful post, Andrew!

Quote from: Andrew
Like other great art Proulx's story feeds on itself and then slowly grows from itself.  We need to go back time and time again to reread and see how it has changed since we left it, see how the shadows of sentences we noticed before have shifted, letting a brighter light fall on others.
Oh, yes, absolutely, and thank you for doing that with this particular sentence of hers.

how Proulx shows the passage of twenty years, the gradual accumulation of the most essential moments in Jack's and Ennis' lives, it is amazing to find the core of it in a single sentence.
 a two-page summary of Ennis' life in Riverton since, without Jack: the 'widening water' between him and Alma, the divorce, the Thanksgiving dinner.
 a one-paragraph summary of Jack's life in Texas in the intervening years, without Ennis
 then a long description of ... the final meeting
Thank you again for this breakdown  - it's so hard for me to stop and study this story, no matter how many times I've read it, because I get swept up in it, every time.

What Proulx does in this story, encompassing material that could so easily be a very long novel, into less than 30 pages, still stuns me.  And one of the ways she does it is by manipulating time, both in how she sequences events and in how fast or slow she describes them.
Someone, (apologies, I can't remember who) in another thread way back was discussing the function of the train in the beginning shots of the movie. That perhaps the glimpses we get of Ennis through the breaks between the train cars are showing that we will be getting only glimpses of his life and what is essential in it. The speed of the train contrasting with the near-complete stillness of Ennis waiting before and while the train is passing, has a lot of symbolic weight, but it can also possibly be seen as one of Ang's visual translations of Annie's words, in this case the varying speeds at which her story moves, for Ennis and Jack both together and apart.

I think the varying pace in Annie's story perhaps also lets us experience in Jack's and Ennis' lives what we do in our own. That parts of our life are so fast no matter how we want to hold on to them, others painfully slow or empty, and some so vivid that they can take longer to remember them each time than they did to live.

This sentence is in the tradition of the epic writers - Homer, Virgil, Milton - who derived some of the quality of vastness of time and space with catalogs like this of heroes' names, of place names.
The vastness of time she describes is, as you say, matched by the vastness of space. Not only "years on years" but miles on miles, and not just from one point on the map to another, but miles up those mountains, and down. The "headlong, irreversible fall" down Brokeback that in many ways was truly irreversible, but in other ways was reenacted every time on their trips that they came down from the mountains. That evocative list of names could be gone over for why she chose those, and not others, but regardless, each mountain was ascended in the joy of their beginning time together again, and each descended in a repetition of falling, irreversible loss.

The repetition, the rhythm is like a heart beat.

and like the rhythm of their love, over and over again, meeting and parting, meeting and parting
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 05:06:34 pm »
Beautiful insights, everyone. Probing minds and inquisitive souls brought together for love of a masterpiece of literary art.

Offline Toast

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 11:03:35 am »
Happy Birthday to
Annie Proulx

born August 22 1935

moremojo

Happy birthday anniversary, Ms. Proulx!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 11:45:38 am »
For she's a jolly good fellow
For she's a jolly good fellow
For she's a jolly good felloo-oow...
And nobody can deny!

Hey, Toast, thanks for the heads up about our lady's big day today, graced with another sample of your beautiful art.
The great Annie Proulx is seventy-one, now--a venerable grande dame of American letters. Incidentally, in Chinese astrology, she was born in the Year of the Pig (or Boar), a sign under which an unusual number of queens have come into the world.

So, from one queen to another...here's to you, Annie Proulx!

:)
Scott

horo35

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 01:32:56 pm »
That looks far out Toast!  Whay program do you use?? Photoshop?  Ohh and of course happy birthday to Annie...where would this forum be with out her?

Offline Toast

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 08:26:51 pm »
Hi Horo

Fancy running into you again over here
I use Virtual Artist an addon for Paint Shop Pro.
It gives some very good effects.
Toast

Now back to serious discussion about Classic Writer Annie Proulx.

My favourite quote from her (this week) is

The mountain boiled with demonic energy, glazed with flickering broken-cloud light, the wind combed the grass and drew from the damaged krummholz and slit rock a bestial drone. As they descended the slope Ennis felt he was in a slow-motion, but headlong, irreversible fall.

- beautiful way to describe the guys' feelings on that day.

Morey
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 10:33:03 am by Toast »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 09:43:46 pm »
I can't choose a favorite passage. I would have to quote, like, the whole damn story.

Anyway, happy birthday, Annie. :)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 04:58:25 pm »
I am glad I found this thread. I have read a lot of Annie Proulx's published work and have seem many memorable lines, but one stand out for me as near perfect in describing this story. It is the last line in her essay "Getting Moovied" in the Story to Screenplay book and is set up with a long run on sentence about the attention to detail that made the movie so believable: Ennis's dirty fingernails, Fayette's perfect Texas hair, the two sharing a joint rather than a cigarette, and the speckled enamel coffeepot. Then she concludes:

"People may doubt that young men fall in love up on the snowy heights, but no one disbelieves the speckled coffeepot, and if the coffeepot is true, so is the other."
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."