Author Topic: Virginity device sparks backlash in Egypt  (Read 2462 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Virginity device sparks backlash in Egypt
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:37:49 pm »
Set a rule, there will always be some way around it...

Conservatives in Egypt are in a lather over a new device that promises to simulate the bleeding a virgin bride experiences on her wedding night. Politicians are calling the device an assault on Islamic and Arab values. But some young women say it's the inevitable result of Egypt's double standard when it comes to premarital sex.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113763459

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: Virginity device sparks backlash in Egypt
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 02:26:19 pm »
When asked if it should be the same for the male, he says, "No, it's not a big deal if the guy's not a virgin. I'm not speaking about Islam — I'm just saying it's normal. But she has to be a virgin, because she's a girl. She's a girl! That's just the way it is."

Ah, the old "That's just the way it is." explanation.  Ignoring, of course, that "the way it is," depends on when and where you are.

I didn't notice any mention of the men being concerned whether they'd "measure up" for an experienced girl.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Virginity device sparks backlash in Egypt
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:32:46 pm »
Ah, the old "That's just the way it is." explanation.  Ignoring, of course, that "the way it is," depends on when and where you are.

I didn't notice any mention of the men being concerned whether they'd "measure up" for an experienced girl.

Exactly.  That's why the girl next to him laughed at his reasoning.  Wonder how he felt sitting there listening to a woman speak openly that she expects her man to be a virgin.  Did he wonder if all women thought this?  Or did it just go in one ear and out the other because she's a woman and her desires were not considered important to men of his culture?