Author Topic: Timeline for the film & story  (Read 10401 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Timeline for the film
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 03:14:54 pm »
Sorry I forgot my usual disclaimer about working from memory here at the office.  ;)  Maybe Annie does place their conversation two months after the Thresher disaster, which would place that particular conversation some time in June, as the Thresher went down April 10, 1963. Vide:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-t/ssn593.htm

(Google is our friend. ...  :laugh: )

As to the story, as opposed to the film, I'm sticking with my understanding of a May ascent, for the symmetry of the story's final confrontation taking place in May 1983.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 03:23:59 pm »
As to the story, as opposed to the film, I'm sticking with my understanding of a May ascent, for the symmetry of the story's final confrontation taking place in May 1983.

I'll give you the 2nd half of May. Fair? ;D
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 03:26:51 pm »
I'll give you the 2nd half of May. Fair? ;D

Seems fair enough, but I don't have "the Scripture" here with me. Don't want to agree to anything that's contrary to Scripture--  :laugh: --but also recognizing that I've got a memory like Swiss cheese: Full of holes.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 03:47:39 pm »
Sure 'nuff. ;D

(And Lee's gone to bring the sheep down early, so she can't confirm anything. ;D )
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 05:37:20 pm by nakymaton »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 05:32:10 pm »
Sure 'noug. ;D

(And Lee's gone to bring the sheep down early, so she can't confirm anything. ;D )

Guess this time of year that snow's gonna stick a helluva lot longer than an hour. ...  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 07:11:24 pm »
OK, friends, I'm standing corrected:

I'm at home now, with the story in front of me. The relevant detail is buried in one of Annie's long run-on sentences (which is why I'm not typing out the whole sentence):

...the submarine Thresher lost two months earlier with all hands and how it must have been in the last doomed minutes...

Like I said, a memory like Swiss cheese.  ;D

In the story the conversation that included the Thresher apparently took place the night Jack noticed Ennis washing, after they had already switched jobs.

I'm sure there must have been a discussion somewhere about when the sheep would have been taken up on the mountain, but searching isn't my strong point.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 12:23:04 pm »
Apparently  Larry McMurtry or Diana Ossana could be bothered look up dates. June 5th 1984 ( Jr.s wedding )was a Tuesday and September 24th was a Sunday. Neither of which makes sense in the dialog. It makes much more sense that the 4 year reunion occurred mid week. "Be gone only a couple a' days...back Sunday at the latest." Although  it certainly doesn't change my opinion of the movie, this is so easy to get right.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 01:26:09 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 12:33:26 pm »
Apparently Anne Proulx, Larry McMurtry or Diana Ossana could be bothered look up dates. June 5th 1984 ( Jr.s wedding )was a Tuesday and September 24th was a Sunday. Neither of which makes sense in the dialog. It makes much more sense that the 4 year reunion occurred mid week. "Be gone only a couple a' days...back Sunday at the latest." Although  it certainly doesn't change my opinion of the movie, this is so easy to get right.

September 24, 1967, doesn't make sense, but remember that Annie Proulx's "24th" was June 24, 1967, which was a Saturday.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 01:25:43 pm »
I stand corrected, I did check the story but didn't look past the day.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 02:20:24 pm »
I stand corrected, I did check the story but didn't look past the day.

But your point is well taken as far as the film is concerned.  :)