Author Topic: Thoughts, discussion and feedback on the banner  (Read 105784 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Thoughts, discussion and feedback on the banner
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:06:15 am »
Hi BetterMostians,

a few days ago, the current banner sparked a spontaneous discussion about the color coordination in BBM among a few of us. Then Amanda (atz75) remarked it would be a nice to have a place for discussions sparked by banners, feedback on them, or just general thoughts about the respective banners.

This thread is the place! :)
Thanks Amanda for having the idea :-*.

Since our banners are mostly BBM related, this thread is hosted in Open Forum. But talk about non-BBM banners is just as welcome here!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Thoughts, discussion and feedback on the banner
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:11:08 am »
good idea, Chrissie. I have often wanted to comment on the banners, but haven´t been sure where to do it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:18:32 am »
I'll start with the banner pic that triggered the idea:

Isn't it amazing how the color coordination of Ennis's outfit and Jack's truck in the background match?

The above pic also reminded Meryl of the fact that a similar truck drives through the frame when Ennis gets the deceased postcard. I couldn't find a pic of it on Stripedwall, so I took the DVD out to take a snapshot. A truck similar to Jack's crosses the screen from left to right exact in the same moment when Enni's eyes fall on the fateful postcard. It's as if Jack were driving out of the movie :(.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 11:18:58 am »
good idea, Chrissie. I have often wanted to comment on the banners, but haven´t been sure where to do it.

Thank you. It was Amanda's idea :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:53:15 am »
I'll start with the banner pic that triggered the idea:

Isn't it amazing how the color coordination of Ennis's outfit and Jack's truck in the background match?

The above pic also reminded Meryl of the fact that a similar truck drives through the frame when Ennis gets the deceased postcard. I couldn't find a pic of it on Stripedwall, so I took the DVD out to take a snapshot. A truck similar to Jack's crosses the screen from left to right exact in the same moment when Enni's eyes fall on the fateful postcard. It's as if Jack were driving out of the movie :(.

wow. Great observation there by Meryl.

The banner made me think back on Jack's different trucks.

The first time we see him he drives the black one (perhaps symbolizing youthful rebellion).
Later on, in his mid-twenties as he drives to meet Ennis in Riverton for the first time, he drives a red truck. (perhaps the color of a man who has learned some things about himself and who is going after what he really wants. Red also symbolizes love and sexuality and with this in mind, I've always thought the red color of his truck to be extremely fitting in the reunion scene).

As Jack and Ennis start to meet more regularly, Jack drives a big blue truck fitting someone who is a family man. The blue color might symbolise that the fierceness is somewhat sedated since Jacks gets a regular dose of Ennis. Or perhaps that Jack's dream about him and Ennis is still alive.

The last time we see Jack, he drives a brownish colored truck, very fitting a man who perhaps has lost hope. The brownish color also makes me think of dirt and soil, something Jack is soon about to buried in.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:52:15 pm »
Did you notice how they aged this gorgeous 25 year old guy by giving him a coat that sags, especially around the waist, making him look like he has a paunch.  His hat, which was stiff and shapely when he was young has been traded for one that's almost limp.  The brim even droops.  But he still has his coat zipped up high to show that closed-off attitude.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 03:57:24 pm »
I'm happy that folks are enjoying this idea for a thread! :)

One of Meryl's observations about the brown truck in the postcard scene that I found so spooky is that the angle on the truck is such that you can't see a visible driver!  It really is as if a ghost is driving it... at least in the still provided here.

Yeah, the color of trucks and the changes in trucks across the span of their relationship seems to be a major theme or visual element, perhaps meant to be clues to deeper meaning.  The trucks are usually quite striking one way or another, and I think it's kind of fun to think about both Jack and Ennis's trucks in relation to one another.

Buffymon, I like your analysis. :)

To me, Jack's first truck is almost comic in it's banged-up and run-down state... and of course we're immediately made aware of it by the funny tire that spins causing Jack to kick the truck.  By the way, I've always thought that this might be foreshadowing about Jack's death (even this early on).

Then, later during the early years of his marriage, Ennis gets that clunky black truck that seems somewhat visually similar to Jack's first one.  I always wonder if that's meant to kind of indicate that Ennis is thinking about Jack during that phase of time.  And, I also wonder if it may be part of the idea that Jack is one step ahead of Ennis, but Ennis comes along eventually.  At first Jack has the clunky black truck and Ennis walks.  Then Ennis has a clunky black truck, and Jack moves on to a new truck.

That red truck during the reunion seems so important, and the image of that happy red truck driving off to the mountains is such an iconic BBM image.
:)

Yeah, and there's certainly a lot ot be said about the later blue and aqua blue trucks.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 04:09:05 pm »
Then, later during the early years of his marriage, Ennis gets that clunky black truck that seems somewhat visually similar to Jack's first one.  I always wonder if that's meant to kind of indicate that Ennis is thinking about Jack during that phase of time.  

That's how I like to think of it. I imagine it's pretty unconsciously done on Ennis's part, though.

And, I also wonder if it may be part of the idea that Jack is one step ahead of Ennis, but Ennis comes along eventually.  At first Jack has the clunky black truck and Ennis walks.  Then Ennis has a clunky black truck, and Jack moves on to a new truck.
that´s an interesting thought. I mean, it's an ongoing theme throughout the movie that Jack leads the way and Ennis follows. Ever since Ennis  followed Jack into that bar in Signal back in 63.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 04:40:26 pm »

that´s an interesting thought. I mean, it's an ongoing theme throughout the movie that Jack leads the way and Ennis follows. Ever since Ennis  followed Jack into that bar in Signal back in 63.

Yes!  I love that whole theme of Jack in the lead. You're definitely right about the bar in Signal.  

And, then Jack leads the flock in the correct direction (or, he is a modern day "point man" - if I understand McMurtry's Lonesome Dove terminology correctly), and Ennis follows along behind with the pack animals and is sometimes way in the back.  There are moments when you can see Jack resting and Ennis catching up during the trip up the mountain and when they're moving camp.

I also think that Jack may perceive this status of being slightly ahead as his "short leash."  I recall discussions from long ago where folks observed that the early scene where Jack is a few steps ahead of Ennis going to the bar in Signal... almost looks like Jack is on an invisible/ make-believe leash.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 04:41:10 pm »
One of Meryl's observations about the brown truck in the postcard scene that I found so spooky is that the angle on the truck is such that you can't see a visible driver!  It really is as if a ghost is driving it... at least in the still provided here.

You can't see the driver in the whole sequence. I watched it repeatedly, in slow-motion, and frame by frame. No driver visible (except maybe for a hand at the steering wheel). It's because of the angle Ang Lee and/or Rodrigo Prieto chose. And at the moment when you (normally) would see the driver from behind  through the back window - the truck passes Ennis. The view through the rear window is hidden by Ennis. I'm sure this was exactly planned by Ang Lee, just as the crow and the truck meeting in the middle of the picture in the post divorce scene.
Remember how Heath and Jake (and others) continued to say how "microscopic" Ang Lee's view through the camera is?

Two more details stood out for me in that scene: look at the screenshot again. The woman to the right holds a brown paper bag. I know this is very common in the US But she doesn't hold a full paper bag on her arm; no it's a half empty one, the above part rolled down. She holds it the same way Ennis holds his paper bags in the beginning and when he leaves the Twist ranch.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 04:46:36 pm »
Amanda's and my post just crossed. Speaking of Bobby the scene of them both walking to the bar in Signal: this is exactly what my second observation is about:

the front of this café reminds me of the front of the bar in Signal

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 04:52:57 pm »

I also think that Jack may perceive this status of being slightly ahead as his "short leash."  I recall discussions from long ago where folks observed that the early scene where Jack is a few steps ahead of Ennis going to the bar in Signal... almost looks like Jack is on an invisible/ make-believe leash.

yes, cause even though Jack leads the way and Ennis follows, Jack isn't necessarily the one with the most "power" in the relationship.

On another note, maybe another reason why Ennis never went for that sweet life, was because Jack didn´t lead the way. Not really. After all, Jack never left Lureen, he never bought a ranch etc. Jack only talked about it, but didn´t give Ennis any footsteps to follow in.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 04:57:46 pm »

Two more details stood out for me in that scene: look at the screenshot again. The woman to the right holds a brown paper bag. I know this is very common in the US But she doesn't hold a full paper bag on her arm; no it's a half empty one, the above part rolled down. She holds it the same way Ennis holds his paper bags in the beginning and when he leaves the Twist ranch.

Now, that´s just plain eerie

I´m impressed with your eye for details

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 07:23:13 pm »

Yes, Chrissi, that observation about the woman with the paper bag is absolutely amazing!!!  I never noticed that before (after all this time) and it seems so, so significant.  All I can say is wow, and I tip my hat to you Bud!
 :-*

yes, cause even though Jack leads the way and Ennis follows, Jack isn't necessarily the one with the most "power" in the relationship.

On another note, maybe another reason why Ennis never went for that sweet life, was because Jack didn´t lead the way. Not really. After all, Jack never left Lureen, he never bought a ranch etc. Jack only talked about it, but didn´t give Ennis any footsteps to follow in.

I really like these observations too!  You're right that being in front, while seemingly positive, doesn't necessarily mean Jack had control and interestingly, everything remains relative to Ennis's position.  They're tied together.

Also, I think you're right that Jack didn't really make a big push to lead the way about establishing a life together beyond making the steps to reconnect in 67.  It is very striking that he never got divorced and that Ennis took that step first.  Maybe if Jack had gone ahead and done something concrete... like moving closer to Ennis (maybe moving back to Wyoming someplace, etc.) or just anything that might have given Ennis something concrete to focus on in terms of moving forward together... maybe things could have been different.  Maybe the discussions about the sweet life always seemed too abstract and too linked to the realm of dream for it to seem realistic at all to Ennis (beyond all the fears that we know about).  But, maybe some kind of practical step or element to concentrate on could have helped.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 09:01:45 pm »
I have often wanted to comment on the banners, but haven´t been sure where to do it.

Me too!  Great idea, Amanda  :)

And the observations and discussion here is great also.  It's amazing - and wonderful - to keep discovering new things about the story and the movie.  I'd never noticed the similarities in the trucks, the invisible driver or the paper bag lady.  But it's clear that they are all carefully planned and placed (or not placed).  Ang Lee certainly earned that Oscar!

I also think that Jack may perceive this status of being slightly ahead as his "short leash."

I like the observation a lot, but even more so, I like the way you worded this.  It was Jack's perception, but I don't think Ennis had the same perception at all in regards to Jack's life or their relationship.  I think Ennis felt iintimidated by what he imagined Jack's life in Texas was like, and the fact that he had to quit jobs and barter for time off in order to see Jack probably made him feel pretty powerless himself.  I guess the sad truth is that neither one of them had any true "power."
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 11:10:19 pm »
Heya Marie!
Thanks for jumping in here Bud! :)  Yeah, my mind is still totally blown by the paper bag lady in the final postcard scene.

Anyway, I came back to this thread just now because I just was gazing at the banner and thinking about how ominous that truck really is.  I mean, in that shot we really are probably looking at the vehicle that factored significantly in Jack's death one way or the other.  He was probably driving that truck most definitely in the accident scenario (and the fact that the tire and rim feature so prominently in the picture is truly spooky), it's more ambigous in the murder alternative, but it also seems probably that he could have been coming or going from that truck.
 :(

Trucks can be positive things in BBM, like the red truck or the somewhat funny early clunker that Jack has, or truly ominous and deadly.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 05:26:03 am »
Wow, so many new things here. I never noticed the lady holding the paper bag in the postcard scene either, or the fact that there's no driver visible in that scene.
It's almost as if Ang put in these details like he was putting together a puzzle or a riddle. 'Let's see if anyone finds this!' Bravo Chrissi.  :)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 08:38:23 pm »
One truck that really makes an impact on me is the one between Ennis and Jack that is half-rust colored, half-blue.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 12:15:36 pm »

Yesterday I was the one who changed the banner image with the idea of stressing the re-opening of the Holiday Forum in mind.  And, I immediately gravitated to this image of the reunion camping scene for the banner.  It was mostly just for aesthetic reasons that I thought I chose it - knowing full well that within the context of BBM this isn't a holiday related scene.  I didn't feel like putting up any of the shots of the actual BBM Thanksgiving scenes.  It wasn't until later that I realized one reason why this image springs to mind when thinking about Thanksgiving particularly.  I think it has to do with the way Ennis expresses himself with the phrase "sending up a prayer of thanks." Which, in a fundamental way seems to be what Thanksgiving is supposed to be about... giving thanks for the people and good things in your life.

Maybe this is the real Thanksgiving scene in BBM and in the lives of Jack and Ennis... whereas the conventional Thanksgivings apart from one another fall well short of the ideals of Thanksgiving.

I wonder if there's a kind of bookend involved here.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 04:17:26 pm »
Maybe this is the real Thanksgiving scene in BBM and in the lives of Jack and Ennis... whereas the conventional Thanksgivings apart from one another fall well short of the ideals of Thanksgiving.

Oh, Amanda, I love this thought!  I think you're absolutely right.  And, once again, I can't believe I haven't made the connection before!  I've always loved that picture, but now you've added another layer and I appreciate it even more.  Thank you.   :)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 04:57:37 pm »
Oh, Amanda, I love this thought!  I think you're absolutely right.  And, once again, I can't believe I haven't made the connection before!  I've always loved that picture, but now you've added another layer and I appreciate it even more.  Thank you.   :)

Thanks Marie!  :-*

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 05:40:25 pm »

interesting and inspiring as always, Amanda

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 04:58:53 pm »

Love the banner because I recognise the view. It´s taken on the same spot as we see Jack sitting in his night camp, watching Ennis night fire.
I´ve been in that exact spot! *serious fangirl moment*

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:08:54 am by Penthesilea »

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 06:12:09 pm »
Love the banner because I recognise the view. It´s taken on the same spot as we see Jack sitting in his night camp, watching Ennis night fire.
I´ve been in that exact spot! *serious fangirl moment*

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 07:09:54 pm »
Good eye, Swedes!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 05:13:49 am »
Monika, I added the pic to your post, so we'll be able to retrace what you were talking about at some point in the future.
I assume you don't mind, otherwise I would have asked first. But I can change it back anytime, if you want.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 05:24:11 am »

:-* :-* :-* :-*

I wanna go back! Hell, I wanna build a house up there!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 05:24:44 am »
Monika, I added the pic to your post, so we'll be able to retrace what you were talking about at some point in the future.
I assume you don't mind, otherwise I would have asked first. But I can change it back anytime, if you want.
of course it´s fine :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 02:24:53 pm »
I really like the banner picture. And a good link with Thanksgiving. The people in that picture sure deserve a big thank you.

Yesterday I was the one who changed the banner image with the idea of stressing the re-opening of the Holiday Forum in mind.  And, I immediately gravitated to this image of the reunion camping scene for the banner.  It was mostly just for aesthetic reasons that I thought I chose it - knowing full well that within the context of BBM this isn't a holiday related scene.  I didn't feel like putting up any of the shots of the actual BBM Thanksgiving scenes.  It wasn't until later that I realized one reason why this image springs to mind when thinking about Thanksgiving particularly.  I think it has to do with the way Ennis expresses himself with the phrase "sending up a prayer of thanks." Which, in a fundamental way seems to be what Thanksgiving is supposed to be about... giving thanks for the people and good things in your life.

Gosh, Amanda, 'sending up a prayer of thanks', thinking about what you posted, that was quit a statement by Ennis, wasn't it? Thankful for Jack in his life.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 03:49:23 pm »
Good eye, Swedes!

Only Monika deserves praise.

I wouldn't have seen it if she hadn't mentioned it.

You have a very special eye for Brokeback locations, Monika!!!

;) :-* :-*

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 03:51:47 pm »
I wanna go back! Hell, I wanna build a house up there!

Yeah....

That mountain was something extra, wasn't it?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 04:10:28 pm »
Yeah....

That mountain was something extra, wasn't it?
sure was, as well as the company :-*

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 04:13:48 pm »
Only Monika deserves praise.

I wouldn't have seen it if she hadn't mentioned it.

You have a very special eye for Brokeback locations, Monika!!!

;) :-* :-*
I would recognise the grey mountain in the background any day. At home I have a framed picture on my wall of Jack standing in that very spot as the banner pic was taken. I love that pic and often look at it. As soon as we reached the summit of Moose Mountain, I recognised the spot. It was such a great moment for me!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 04:15:07 pm »
sure was, as well as the company :-*

right back at ya  :-*

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2009, 04:19:49 pm »
I would recognise the grey mountain in the background any day. At home I have a framed picture on my wall of Jack standing in that very spot as the banner pic was taken. I love that pic and often look at it. As soon as we reached the summit of Moose Mountain, I recognised the spot. It was such a great moment for me!

I can imagine!

Being up there was just totally overwhelming and amazing, there's no way to really describe it.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 04:28:49 pm »
I can imagine!

Being up there was just totally overwhelming and amazing, there's no way to really describe it.
I know what you mean. I have tried to explain it to others, but to no use.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 04:39:52 pm »
I know what you mean. I have tried to explain it to others, but to no use.

It's a very special and beautiful spot in itself (the silence!),

but with the Brokeback link added to that, it's just outstanding and not of this world.

I haven't even tried to describe it to non brokies.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 01:41:58 pm »
I don't mean to seem to like a complainer, but the front page banner photo of the boys jumping naked off that cliff, which I discovered when I accessed the site today--from work--may not be the most "friendly" image for accessing the site when you're not in private. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 03:05:51 pm »
Oops, sorry about the naked boys.  I'm sure I can find another photo.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 03:11:25 pm »
Oh can we please keep em a little longer? The work day is almost over on the East Coast!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 03:15:50 pm »
Oh can we please keep em a little longer? The work day is almost over on the East Coast!

one vote for naked boys, one vote against.  hmm, I'll see if I can make a compromise.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 03:20:15 pm »
one vote for naked boys, one vote against.  hmm, I'll see if I can make a compromise.

Half a naked boy? (which half does everybody prefer?)

A half naked boy? (ditto)

;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 03:22:07 pm »
How 'bout this--without the closeup.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 03:22:58 pm »
Hehe, I wonder if the Reunion Kiss is better to look at at work than naked boys.

If it is to be half of a naked boy picture, I vote for the Ennis half, because we know Jake wimped out on that scene!

Just saw your compromise, Paul. That works for me!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 03:28:56 pm »
I adore striped wall!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2009, 03:30:15 pm »
All three alternatives are fine with me.

Personally I prefer the close up to this one, but if it's uncomfortable for people at work, then it may not be a good choice.

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2009, 07:13:11 pm »
close up

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2010, 08:09:13 pm »
The banner right now shows Jack as the prairie.

Relax, you're home.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2010, 04:29:26 pm »
"Banner don´t look right"

:)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2010, 04:50:01 pm »
Why not?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2010, 04:55:23 pm »
Why not?
oh, is it just me? The top banner is too big for the frame.
However, it´s a lovely banner

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2010, 05:00:20 pm »
oh, is it just me? The top banner is too big for the frame.
However, it´s a lovely banner

It looks fine to me. Inside the frame.

Maybe it's your computer settings? I have that problem at work sometimes.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2010, 12:39:44 pm »
The firth anniversary screening in LA is coming up, a banner for that would be good.

Also, how about celebrating other gay themed films?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »
The firth anniversary screening in LA is coming up, a banner for that would be good.

In fact, we did, shortly after John announced it.  Perhaps it's time to bring it back.

Also, how about celebrating other gay themed films?

Great idea, Tru.  Especially if we have threads to link to.  

Thanks for the comments!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2010, 02:48:19 pm »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2010, 05:55:50 pm »
Jack taking the knives away from the stud duck!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2010, 06:28:58 pm »
Jack taking the knives away from the stud duck!

That is a good idea, there are a lot of smaller scenes that could be used:

"Not on your fuckin' life"
"Tryin' to get a foot rub, dummy"
"I'll clean up this mess as soon as I call my sister"
"I had to ask about ten people where you moved to"

Now what specific ocassions you would use them on I am not sure.  :laugh:

Also, there could be a banner for Armisted Maupin's new book and Aniie Proulx's book that will be coming out in January I believe.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2010, 08:00:41 pm »
Yes, but the stud duck scene is especially timely because it is during Thanksgiving.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05:12 pm »
Maybe after the holidays, you can spend sometime (if this hasn't been done already) spotlighting Brokeback themed artwork done by fans?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2010, 06:57:52 pm »
That's a great idea Chuck!

There's so much beautiful artwork out there!

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2010, 07:09:46 pm »
why not promote a fan fiction? To me it seems like a lot of people hang on this site just to check out what fiction people have publist.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2010, 07:33:00 pm »
Maybe after the holidays, you can spend sometime (if this hasn't been done already) spotlighting Brokeback themed artwork done by fans?

I like that idea. Just be sure to ask the artists first. Check out Rick Chris' work.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2010, 07:54:05 am »

Great idea. Maybe extend that to themed photos, to include fans who are not so artistic ?  :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2010, 08:33:48 am »
Great idea. Maybe extend that to themed photos, to include fans who are not so artistic ?  :)
good idea!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2010, 08:12:41 am »
Thanks for everyone's great suggestions. 

Chrissi and I will try to incorporate many of them. 

Please feel free to continue comments and feedback here.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2010, 01:30:01 pm »
Has this been done here already or maybe I´m confusing it with another site. But I like the idea of highlightning different members. Maybe ask them a few questions etc.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2010, 01:52:49 pm »
We used to do that in our Social Events newsletter, Monika.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2010, 12:41:30 am »
If those of you who do the banners ever run out of ideas, don't forget this one; though I'm sure it has been used before:

I just read a good biography (by William McFeely) of Thomas Eakins, who painted this.  Some of the happiest days of his life were during a summer trip he took to the Dakotas, where he could ride all day and forget the sting of his dismissal from the Philadelphia Academy for his Whitman-like free mindedness and unconventionality.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2010, 06:24:42 pm »
It's a lovely painting, Andrew!

Offline Andrew

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2010, 12:53:58 pm »
One of the cowboys even has a light hat and the other has a dark one!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2010, 12:58:43 pm »
what a beautiful painting!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2010, 02:01:51 pm »
One of the cowboys even has a light hat and the other has a dark one!

Oh that's right! I didn't notice before.

Makes it even more BBM-ish.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2010, 03:44:20 pm »
If those of you who do the banners ever run out of ideas, don't forget this one; though I'm sure it has been used before:

A lovely painting! Would love to own it!

I just read a good biography (by William McFeely) of Thomas Eakins, who painted this.  Some of the happiest days of his life were during a summer trip he took to the Dakotas, where he could ride all day and forget the sting of his dismissal from the Philadelphia Academy for his Whitman-like free mindedness and unconventionality.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2010, 05:47:40 pm »
You asked for it!  Because of the enthusiastic response for fan art, here's the latest banner:

Welcome to BetterMost!

(Image by Toast)

It's time to celebrate those unsung heroes:  the Fan Artists!
Discuss here.  Contribute yours!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:19 am »
There was a request to commemorate Matthew Shepard's birthday today.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2010, 03:33:49 pm »
You asked for it!  Because of the enthusiastic response for fan art, here's the latest banner:

Welcome to BetterMost!

(Image by Toast)

It's time to celebrate those unsung heroes:  the Fan Artists!
Discuss here.  Contribute yours!

Never got a chance to say that I really love this picture!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2010, 03:10:27 pm »
Here's the latest:

Welcome to BetterMost!

Are you going to the Fifth Anniversary screening of BBM at the Autry Center on December 11?

Check out the thread.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2010, 03:14:22 pm »
What??!!??

Didn't I just see a different picture on the banner??

Am I hallucinating??   :o

Do I suffer from errorum bannerus??   ::)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2010, 03:31:14 pm »
you mean this?

no, you didn't just see this LOL.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2010, 03:40:06 pm »
thought so   ::)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2010, 04:33:11 pm »
The new banner is awesome!!

The juxtaposition between movie DE and DE with Rodney and Adam.....awesome.

May I ask who made it?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2010, 05:56:13 pm »
The new banner is awesome!!

The juxtaposition between movie DE and DE with Rodney and Adam.....awesome.

May I ask who made it?

Thank you. :)
It's a joined work by Meryl and me.
The idea of juxtaposting movie DE and Rodney and Adam is from Meryl. Choosing the pics and bringing them into the correct form is by me.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2010, 06:03:19 pm »
Great work, the two of you.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2010, 02:29:28 pm »
ROTFLMAO!   :laugh:

I'm loving grumpy Lucy in the snow on the banner!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2010, 03:12:43 pm »

I second that!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2010, 04:17:27 pm »
I thought she felt right for the season.   :P

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2010, 05:21:02 pm »

I liked that, too.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2011, 02:21:40 am »
Paul, Chrissi, Meryl, Lee, and other mods - I love the banners you come up with!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2011, 08:30:42 pm »
I would like to thank our dear friends Mouk and Lauragigs for their artistic endeavors--Mouk slogging through snowy Canmore to snap a breath-taking photo of Campsite 2, laying flowers and a card at the site of the dozy embrace; Laura composing a gorgeous montage with a contemplative photo of our Heath. 

We honor them, and Heath, on the current banner:

Welcome to BetterMost

Remembering Heath Andrew Ledger
 4 April 1979 - 22 January 2008

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2011, 02:44:15 pm »
I second that. The montage is breathtakingly beautiful. Powerful beyond words.

Thanks Mouk and Laura!!

And thanks Paul for using it as banner today.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2011, 11:06:54 pm »
I agree and thanks for making it BIG...I just saw the card in among the tulips for the very first time.  :'(  :-*

Offline Jeff Benson

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2011, 06:19:33 am »

Didn't I just see a different picture on the banner??

Am I hallucinating??   

Do I suffer from errorum bannerus??   

why not promote a fan fiction? To me it seems like a lot of people hang
on this site just to check out what fiction people have publist 8)
Hello everyone

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2011, 09:25:27 pm »
Hi Jeff! We change the banner every day or few to keep it fresh. Good suggestion on the fan fiction banner. It's been a while since we had one devoted to that.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2011, 08:24:58 am »
LOVE the banner. It´s both oddly arousing and hilarious at the same time :D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2011, 09:03:54 am »
LOVE the banner. It´s both oddly arousing and hilarious at the same time :D

Glad you like it. 

Feel free to suggest topics for the banner, or threads to highlight. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2011, 01:58:06 pm »
bumping the banner

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2011, 10:19:35 am »
I love our banners. What a welcoming way to reach out to people searching for a community that they can feel close to!!  :-*

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2012, 10:36:50 pm »
I love that banner with the Christmas tree in front of the laundry apartment !  Whose work is it?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2012, 11:26:10 pm »
I love that banner with the Christmas tree in front of the laundry apartment !  Whose work is it?

With all those lighting effects, one almost suspects that Thomas Kinkade has become a Brokie.  ;)

Seriously, it is very pretty.  :)

But shouldn't that Christmas tree be in the living room window, looking directly down on the parking lot?  ???  ;)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2012, 06:48:17 pm »

Sorry, just seeing this now.  Those manips were done by our DCF friend, Jimmy/gnash.  He's very talented.  I should have given him credit. BayCityJohn had posted some of his stuff on facebook.

With all those lighting effects, one almost suspects that Thomas Kinkade has become a Brokie.  ;)

Seriously, it is very pretty.  :)

But shouldn't that Christmas tree be in the living room window, looking directly down on the parking lot?  ???  ;)

Thomas Kinkade, indeed! 

Maybe in Wyoming, they only put their Christmas trees outside?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2012, 07:26:30 pm »

I might have known it was by him.  He is awesomely talented.  I used one of his manips for quite a while for my banner.  It was terrific also, I got lots of comments on it.  It looked like a canvas painting.

Beautiful mind

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2012, 06:33:47 pm »

Maybe in Wyoming, they only put their Christmas trees outside?

If you look in the window to the left of the door at the top of the stairs, you'll see a tree......looks like a triangle of different colored lights.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2015, 08:31:00 am »
lmao!  I love Borkback Mountain!!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2015, 11:29:47 am »
lmao!  I love Borkback Mountain!!!

And I hear it will be in prime time!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2015, 12:24:18 pm »

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2015, 12:26:35 pm »
Haha Chuck, that's hilarious!   :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2016, 06:07:11 pm »
Has anyone ever been able to make out what it says under the picture of Jesus on that cross hanging on the wall behind Jack's mother in the current picture? The first word is Christ, but I can't make out what it says under the word Christ.

???

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2016, 06:23:27 pm »
Has anyone ever been able to make out what it says under the picture of Jesus on that cross hanging on the wall behind Jack's mother in the current picture? The first word is Christ, but I can't make out what it says under the word Christ.

???

Yes, as a matter of fact.

Initially, I believe it was CaseyCornelius who started a thread called, "Christ in our Home" back in them IMDb days.  But, later, it turned out to say, "Chris is our Hope".

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2016, 08:26:57 pm »
Yes, as a matter of fact.

Initially, I believe it was CaseyCornelius who started a thread called, "Christ in our Home" back in them IMDb days.  But, later, it turned out to say, "Chris is our Hope".

Thanks, Paul!

Interestingly enough, Christ in Our Home is the name of a quarterly devotional booklet published by Augsburg Fortress, the publishing wing, I'd guess you'd call it, of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2017, 07:41:24 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAbWQFM4G24[/youtube]

for the banner

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2017, 05:07:59 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love this!