Author Topic: Thoughts, discussion and feedback on the banner  (Read 105186 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Thoughts, discussion and feedback on the banner
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:06:15 am »
Hi BetterMostians,

a few days ago, the current banner sparked a spontaneous discussion about the color coordination in BBM among a few of us. Then Amanda (atz75) remarked it would be a nice to have a place for discussions sparked by banners, feedback on them, or just general thoughts about the respective banners.

This thread is the place! :)
Thanks Amanda for having the idea :-*.

Since our banners are mostly BBM related, this thread is hosted in Open Forum. But talk about non-BBM banners is just as welcome here!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Thoughts, discussion and feedback on the banner
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:11:08 am »
good idea, Chrissie. I have often wanted to comment on the banners, but haven´t been sure where to do it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:18:32 am »
I'll start with the banner pic that triggered the idea:

Isn't it amazing how the color coordination of Ennis's outfit and Jack's truck in the background match?

The above pic also reminded Meryl of the fact that a similar truck drives through the frame when Ennis gets the deceased postcard. I couldn't find a pic of it on Stripedwall, so I took the DVD out to take a snapshot. A truck similar to Jack's crosses the screen from left to right exact in the same moment when Enni's eyes fall on the fateful postcard. It's as if Jack were driving out of the movie :(.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 11:18:58 am »
good idea, Chrissie. I have often wanted to comment on the banners, but haven´t been sure where to do it.

Thank you. It was Amanda's idea :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:53:15 am »
I'll start with the banner pic that triggered the idea:

Isn't it amazing how the color coordination of Ennis's outfit and Jack's truck in the background match?

The above pic also reminded Meryl of the fact that a similar truck drives through the frame when Ennis gets the deceased postcard. I couldn't find a pic of it on Stripedwall, so I took the DVD out to take a snapshot. A truck similar to Jack's crosses the screen from left to right exact in the same moment when Enni's eyes fall on the fateful postcard. It's as if Jack were driving out of the movie :(.

wow. Great observation there by Meryl.

The banner made me think back on Jack's different trucks.

The first time we see him he drives the black one (perhaps symbolizing youthful rebellion).
Later on, in his mid-twenties as he drives to meet Ennis in Riverton for the first time, he drives a red truck. (perhaps the color of a man who has learned some things about himself and who is going after what he really wants. Red also symbolizes love and sexuality and with this in mind, I've always thought the red color of his truck to be extremely fitting in the reunion scene).

As Jack and Ennis start to meet more regularly, Jack drives a big blue truck fitting someone who is a family man. The blue color might symbolise that the fierceness is somewhat sedated since Jacks gets a regular dose of Ennis. Or perhaps that Jack's dream about him and Ennis is still alive.

The last time we see Jack, he drives a brownish colored truck, very fitting a man who perhaps has lost hope. The brownish color also makes me think of dirt and soil, something Jack is soon about to buried in.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:52:15 pm »
Did you notice how they aged this gorgeous 25 year old guy by giving him a coat that sags, especially around the waist, making him look like he has a paunch.  His hat, which was stiff and shapely when he was young has been traded for one that's almost limp.  The brim even droops.  But he still has his coat zipped up high to show that closed-off attitude.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 03:57:24 pm »
I'm happy that folks are enjoying this idea for a thread! :)

One of Meryl's observations about the brown truck in the postcard scene that I found so spooky is that the angle on the truck is such that you can't see a visible driver!  It really is as if a ghost is driving it... at least in the still provided here.

Yeah, the color of trucks and the changes in trucks across the span of their relationship seems to be a major theme or visual element, perhaps meant to be clues to deeper meaning.  The trucks are usually quite striking one way or another, and I think it's kind of fun to think about both Jack and Ennis's trucks in relation to one another.

Buffymon, I like your analysis. :)

To me, Jack's first truck is almost comic in it's banged-up and run-down state... and of course we're immediately made aware of it by the funny tire that spins causing Jack to kick the truck.  By the way, I've always thought that this might be foreshadowing about Jack's death (even this early on).

Then, later during the early years of his marriage, Ennis gets that clunky black truck that seems somewhat visually similar to Jack's first one.  I always wonder if that's meant to kind of indicate that Ennis is thinking about Jack during that phase of time.  And, I also wonder if it may be part of the idea that Jack is one step ahead of Ennis, but Ennis comes along eventually.  At first Jack has the clunky black truck and Ennis walks.  Then Ennis has a clunky black truck, and Jack moves on to a new truck.

That red truck during the reunion seems so important, and the image of that happy red truck driving off to the mountains is such an iconic BBM image.
:)

Yeah, and there's certainly a lot ot be said about the later blue and aqua blue trucks.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 04:09:05 pm »
Then, later during the early years of his marriage, Ennis gets that clunky black truck that seems somewhat visually similar to Jack's first one.  I always wonder if that's meant to kind of indicate that Ennis is thinking about Jack during that phase of time.  

That's how I like to think of it. I imagine it's pretty unconsciously done on Ennis's part, though.

And, I also wonder if it may be part of the idea that Jack is one step ahead of Ennis, but Ennis comes along eventually.  At first Jack has the clunky black truck and Ennis walks.  Then Ennis has a clunky black truck, and Jack moves on to a new truck.
that´s an interesting thought. I mean, it's an ongoing theme throughout the movie that Jack leads the way and Ennis follows. Ever since Ennis  followed Jack into that bar in Signal back in 63.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 04:40:26 pm »

that´s an interesting thought. I mean, it's an ongoing theme throughout the movie that Jack leads the way and Ennis follows. Ever since Ennis  followed Jack into that bar in Signal back in 63.

Yes!  I love that whole theme of Jack in the lead. You're definitely right about the bar in Signal.  

And, then Jack leads the flock in the correct direction (or, he is a modern day "point man" - if I understand McMurtry's Lonesome Dove terminology correctly), and Ennis follows along behind with the pack animals and is sometimes way in the back.  There are moments when you can see Jack resting and Ennis catching up during the trip up the mountain and when they're moving camp.

I also think that Jack may perceive this status of being slightly ahead as his "short leash."  I recall discussions from long ago where folks observed that the early scene where Jack is a few steps ahead of Ennis going to the bar in Signal... almost looks like Jack is on an invisible/ make-believe leash.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 04:41:10 pm »
One of Meryl's observations about the brown truck in the postcard scene that I found so spooky is that the angle on the truck is such that you can't see a visible driver!  It really is as if a ghost is driving it... at least in the still provided here.

You can't see the driver in the whole sequence. I watched it repeatedly, in slow-motion, and frame by frame. No driver visible (except maybe for a hand at the steering wheel). It's because of the angle Ang Lee and/or Rodrigo Prieto chose. And at the moment when you (normally) would see the driver from behind  through the back window - the truck passes Ennis. The view through the rear window is hidden by Ennis. I'm sure this was exactly planned by Ang Lee, just as the crow and the truck meeting in the middle of the picture in the post divorce scene.
Remember how Heath and Jake (and others) continued to say how "microscopic" Ang Lee's view through the camera is?

Two more details stood out for me in that scene: look at the screenshot again. The woman to the right holds a brown paper bag. I know this is very common in the US But she doesn't hold a full paper bag on her arm; no it's a half empty one, the above part rolled down. She holds it the same way Ennis holds his paper bags in the beginning and when he leaves the Twist ranch.