Author Topic: Favorite Horror, Scary, Spooky or Ghost Story Writers  (Read 16171 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Favorite Horror, Scary, Spooky or Ghost Story Writers
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:17:55 pm »

Heya!

Tell us about your favorite author of scary, spooky or horror related stories, books or poems!  Do you have a favorite author, or a favorite type of scary story?  Do you like all-out horror type stories, or more subtle psychological chiller type stories?

I tried to include a wide variety of types of writers here... both classic and modern.  Please let me know if there are any specific requests for me to add to the list.

You can pick up to 3 options here, and you can change your vote if you feel like it.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: Favorite Horror, Scary, Spooky or Ghost Story Writers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:35:55 pm »
I picked Steven King for "Cujo" and  Bram stoker for "Dracula" thanks to him we have vampires in our midst. FInally Edgar Allen Poe for "The Raven"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:39:48 pm »
One of the first horror stories I remember hearing was The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe. I was really young and I listened to it on cassette and remember being terrified!

from wikipedia

"The Tell-Tale Heart" is a short story by Edgar Allan Poe first published in 1843. It follows an unnamed narrator who insists on his sanity after murdering an old man with a "vulture eye". The murder is carefully calculated, and the murderer hides the body by dismembering it and hiding it under the floorboards. Ultimately the narrator's guilt manifests itself in the hallucination that the man's heart is still beating under the floorboards.

It is unclear what relationship, if any, the old man and his murderer share. It has been suggested that the old man is a father figure, or whether the narrator works for the old man as a servant, perhaps, that his vulture eye represents some sort of veiled secret, or power. The ambiguity and lack of details about the two main characters stand in stark contrast to the specific plot details leading up to the murder.

The story was first published in James Russell Lowell's The Pioneer in January 1843. "The Tell-Tale Heart" is widely considered a classic of the Gothic fiction genre and one of Poe's most famous short stories.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:44:37 pm »
H. P. Lovecraft   

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:18:56 pm »
I'm not really well-read in this genre since I don't really like to be scared  :-\.  But I put down two writers I do know that scared me - Stephen King for Pet Semetary and Edgar Allen Poe for most of his short stories.

And

Phantoms by Koontz was really scary if you can suspend your fear of his really careless writing.  The story is good though.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:20:25 pm »
Thanks Buds!

So, I have a question for folks... I considered putting Toni Morrison on the list because of Beloved.  I think Beloved is an absolutely fantastic book and it does involve a ghost.  It's one of those books that's always stuck with me.  

I didn't really know if it would qualify for this type of list, or if the use of the ghost theme in that book is too metaphoric... or, in other words... if the inclusion of the ghost in that book was for motivations so different from a lot of typical ghost stories, that it wouldn't really be appropriate for this list.

For anyone who's read Beloved, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:31:06 pm »
One of the first horror stories I remember hearing was The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe. I was really young and I listened to it on cassette and remember being terrified!

Yes, The Tell-Tale Heart was one of the first horror stories I read, along with his poem, The Raven. 

Firestarter was the first Stephen King book I read and I remember that I couldn't put it down, even though it scared me.  I'm not generally a big fan of the "horror" stories, but I appreciate good writing in any genre.

Thanks Buds!

So, I have a question for folks... I considered putting Toni Morrison on the list because of Beloved.  I think Beloved is an absolutely fantastic book and it does involve a ghost.  It's one of those books that's always stuck with me. 

I didn't really know if it would qualify for this type of list, or if the use of the ghost theme in that book is too metaphoric... or, in other words... if the inclusion of the ghost in that book was for motivations so different from a lot of typical ghost stories, that it wouldn't really be appropriate for this list.

For anyone who's read Beloved, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Oh, this came in as I was typing.  That's a good question, Amanda. I have read Beloved and I agree that it's a terrific book. I don't think it would have occured to me to put it on this list for the reasons you mentioned - but strictly speaking I guess it is a "ghost" story of sorts.
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:40:22 pm »
I used to have a ton of Stephen King paperbacks.  his stories are great!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:57:34 pm »
Poe and Stoker. Classics both.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 10:27:45 pm »
I'm finding the (early) results here very interesting.  Some clear favorites indicated in the results so far.  I have to say that I'm surprised that Rice hasn't gotten any votes yet (I'm not an Anne Rice fan, but still...) and I think it's awesome that Poe is getting so many votes!

I voted for Jackson Shelley and Wharton.  I love Shirley Jackson... The Haunting of Hill House (and the movie that came out in the early 1960s based on the book) I think is absolutely spectacular.  Her book We Have Always Lived in the Castle is also great, but not quite the same as The Haunting.  

Oh, this came in as I was typing.  That's a good question, Amanda. I have read Beloved and I agree that it's a terrific book. I don't think it would have occured to me to put it on this list for the reasons you mentioned - but strictly speaking I guess it is a "ghost" story of sorts.

Thanks for your input Marie.  Yeah, I think you're right.