Author Topic: BBM mentioned in sitcoms/TV-series  (Read 5231 times)

mvansand76

BBM mentioned in sitcoms/TV-series
« on: August 10, 2006, 07:19:51 am »

I was watching an episode of Joey and he was in a bookstore and he picked up Brokeback Mountain and said something like "Hey, cowboys, I am going to get this" and then later in the episode he is reading it and thinks the writer made all these mistakes, mistaking he for she. Kinda cute.

In which sitcom/TV-series have you heard BBM mentioned?

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: BBM mentioned in sitcoms/TV-series
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:35:13 pm »
Hey mvansand76...so you get "Joey" there in Amsterdamn...it was cancelled over here (San Diego, CA) long time ago.  I never watched it after it's first season, but I can picture airhead Joey as you related.  I thought he was excellent on "Friends", but just wasn't the same with "Joey".

Anyway, I seen references too, although I don't remember the shows...too many, too long ago.  If I do see one soon I'll be sure to come back and post it...Doug

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 07:32:28 am »
Hey mvansand76...so you get "Joey" there in Amsterdamn...it was cancelled over here (San Diego, CA) long time ago.  I never watched it after it's first season, but I can picture airhead Joey as you related.  I thought he was excellent on "Friends", but just wasn't the same with "Joey".

Anyway, I seen references too, although I don't remember the shows...too many, too long ago.  If I do see one soon I'll be sure to come back and post it...Doug

The funny thing is that that was the first and the last episode of Joey that I saw, ever! It was only on TV for about two seasons, right? They air just about everything here in Holland!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 08:26:24 pm »
I haven't heard it referenced in sitcoms/TV series but then I don't watch them either.  I still hear it referenced on shows like E! and other entertainment programs as an expression "He's going all Brokeback on me".  Things like that.

Offline JfT

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 01:46:38 am »
The host of America's Funniest Animals on Animal Planet made reference during a video of a horseback rider being thrown from his mount. Something to the effect of "Talk about a "broke back on the mountain."
Not very funny.

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 06:47:52 am »
Now that I think about it, on Will&Grace Will mentioned that he has a Jake Gyllenhaal screensaver, the joke went by too quickly, so I have no idea what the punchline was...

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 06:15:48 pm »
Just saw Brokeback referenced in Grey's anatomy episode 7 of season three... Anybody see that? The hospital boys go camping and I was just waiting for the Brokeback reference and there it was....

"brokeback mountain and all of that...."

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:21:11 pm »
Yes, mvansand76.  I saw it and immediately turned in my radar just in case there was more.  The actual scene was borning and my mind was wandering, but I payed close attention after that.

Just recently on Whose Line Is It Anyway, Drew Carey also made a reference, but I have forgotten what it was...it was very funny, though...Doug

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 03:33:10 pm »
I was watching the latest episode of "Sunday Morning Shootout," a show about movies that is on AMC.  The guy (a film critic whose name I forget) was analyzing the effect of winning a Golden Globe on the movie's box office (which can be huge).  The first movie he used in his example was BBM. 

The thing I liked most, besides the pleasant surprise of seeing Jack and Ennis suddenly on the screen, is that he treated it like a plain old movie he respects, the first in the list of plain, old, respectable movies.  The normalization felt good.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 05:45:31 pm »
Perhaps neither of the following is what the thread is after, but it *is* somehow TV-related at least:

I happened to watch the five last minutes or so of some totally braindead celebrity show about "Hot celebrity couples" and got to watch the Beckhams in all their glory  ::) , and then Brangelina winning first prize as the very hottest. But there also was a montage of all the other couples who'd been "honoured" with a place on the show's celeb couple list, and since they had a tiny clip of Ennis and Alma it's a fair bet that one of the couples had to be Heath and Michelle, and that their meeting onset for BBM must have been mentioned. (Bet Heath especially is less than thrilled about being included in such inane celebrity TV stuff....)

Then I recently picked up a local movie magazine that did a review of a "6 Feet Under" box set and warmly recommended it despite a small complaint that there was a little too much "Brokebacking" in it.  ::)

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 11:44:49 am »
On Wed night's CSI:NY, the team was investigating the murder of a drag queen/gender transitional, and a suspect was being questioned.  The NY detective, played by Eddie Cahill, after several stern accustions as to why this perp killed the drag queen, got down in the perps ear and said "Have you ever seen "Brokeback Mountain?"  This is not the first time this show has referenced the movie, and I suspect it won't be the last, but at least it is done nicely...Doug

Offline angry little lawyer

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 12:55:21 am »
It was referenced in the Batman/Superman Annual. Bruce Wayne (Bats) and Clark Kent (Supes) at this point don't know each other's identities. They are on a cruise line and due to an error in the computer system, they are forced to spend the night in the same room, on the same bed (!). A villain attacks the cruiseship (an alternate version of Deathstroke aka Slade if anyone cares) and wacky hijinks ensue.  Anywayz here is the delightful exchange that happens.

BOOM (Explosion rocks the boat)
Bruce (thinking): Fifty lifeboats. Eleven decks. Bring the BatSub to surface and--
Clark (thinking): Can the hull withstand it if I lift the ship, or should I tow it--
Bruce: Shouldn't you...grab pencil or something? Go report?
Clark: Yeah...um, Lois has my pencils. And I feel seasick. Maybe you--?

Bruce: ....I have no time for this. Goodnight, Kent.

Bruce shoots a tranquilizer dart at Clark but since Clark is Superman of course, the dart merely bounces off of his neck.

Bruce (realizing Clark is Superman): The chin.
Clark: I always vibrate a little when people take my picture. Messes with the details.
Bruce: Son of a--

When suddenly

Alternate Deathstroke: Howdy, sailors! Hate to interrupt this production of Brokeback Titanic, but Bruce Wayne! It's time to play "I'm saving your capitalist pig life" starring everyone's hero (gets shot) ...Glurk.

Clark: Your vacations always like this?
Bruce: Pretty much.

:laugh: so yeah. BBM references in comics. I think there's rumor of a Brokeback Mutant ref in X-Men but not sure
 ;D
If I take that aspirin....then I took it
-The Wisdom of 12 oz. Mouse

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 08:18:07 pm »
I was watching Planet's Funniest Animals a few days ago and saw these 3 cats playing on top of a cowboy hat.

"They just can't quit each other!" was a quote used to describe the scene. The image was funny enough but that line was great too!
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...