Author Topic: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17  (Read 85076 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2007, 11:20:49 pm »
And I do see hope as well in the ending.

I always have, too, though in a way I'm sure others would disagree with or find controversial. Whatever it is that we see through the trailer window, waving in the wind, just prairie grass or some kind of growing grain, it's green. It's alive. It's growing.

If the filmmakers had wanted to convey despair, they could just as easily have had something yellowed, dried-up, and dead visible through that window. But they don't. We see something alive.

And it's something waving in the wind. This might be the point for some comment about "Jack is the wind," or whatever, but I've never followed that thread of thought, so I'll stop here.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2007, 12:04:12 am »
Whatever it is that we see through the trailer window, waving in the wind, just prairie grass or some kind of growing grain, it's green. It's alive. It's growing.

If the filmmakers had wanted to convey despair, they could just as easily have had something yellowed, dried-up, and dead visible through that window. But they don't. We see something alive.

I understand what you're saying Jeff, but I think it's ambiguous. After all, the green grass is outside of the window.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2007, 12:51:42 am »
To me, it looks like green corn. Any Midwesterners have a thought on that?

Maybe I'm just obsessing on corn mazes...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2007, 09:37:51 am »
I understand what you're saying Jeff, but I think it's ambiguous. After all, the green grass is outside of the window.

Oh, for heaven's sake, Katherine, where do you want it to be? Growing in Ennis's living room?  :laugh:

I figured you'd be the one to disagree, Little Darlin'.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 09:42:02 am by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2007, 09:40:33 am »
To me, it looks like green corn. Any Midwesterners have a thought on that?

Maybe I'm just obsessing on corn mazes...

Do they grow corn--maize--in Wyoming?  ???

Looks a little too "flowing" in its waving for cornstalks, to me, but I could be wrong.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2007, 11:30:38 am »
Oh, for heaven's sake, Katherine, where do you want it to be? Growing in Ennis's living room?  :laugh:

I figured you'd be the one to disagree, Little Darlin'.  ;D

Surely you're not implying that I'm ... argumentative ?!!  :laugh:

Well, I'm just sayin, I think the fact that the grass (or corn, or soybeans, or whatever the heck it is) that looks all green and healthy and natural and alive is outside the window, while Ennis himself is closed up inside -- considering the outside/inside distinction and the looking-through-windows symbolism that run throughout the film -- is significant. If the last shot were of Ennis outdoors in nature, it would have a different effect.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2007, 11:55:36 am »
Surely you're not implying that I'm ... argumentative ?!!  :laugh:

Well, I'm just sayin, I think the fact that the grass (or corn, or soybeans, or whatever the heck it is) that looks all green and healthy and natural and alive is outside the window, while Ennis himself is closed up inside -- considering the outside/inside distinction and the looking-through-windows symbolism that run throughout the film -- is significant. If the last shot were of Ennis outdoors in nature, it would have a different effect.

Yes, and did you notice the placement of the different elements, Jeff and Katherine: the brown dirt is on the bottom, the green corn (or whatever) in the middle, and the blue sky on top--on top, Jeff! Why do you think the director had the location manager arrange them that way??   :laugh:

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2007, 02:37:38 pm »
Yes, and did you notice the placement of the different elements, Jeff and Katherine: the brown dirt is on the bottom, the green corn (or whatever) in the middle, and the blue sky on top--on top, Jeff! Why do you think the director had the location manager arrange them that way??   :laugh:

Ang Lee is talented and powerful, but even he can't turn the world upside down. I think. ...  ;D

But do they grow maize in Wyoming?

I think whatever it is, it's too tall for soybeans.  ;D

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2007, 03:40:45 pm »
But do they grow maize in Wyoming?

I think whatever it is, it's too tall for soybeans.  ;D

I believe that they grow wheat (and grass for hay) in the high plains (like Wyoming) -- there's a line around 100 W longitude where it gets awfully dry for growing corn. (Though I know that corn is a stable of the traditional diet of various Southwest Indian tribes. From what I've seen of places like Mesa Verde, though, the corn was grown in small, highly irrigated fields. I think.)

Ranching (lots of land + grazing animals, especially cows) is more common than farming (crops, with smaller economically viable plots of land) in eastern Wyoming. I think.

The green stuff outside Ennis's window looks like a hay field to me.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2007, 05:27:44 pm »
I believe that they grow wheat (and grass for hay) in the high plains (like Wyoming) -- there's a line around 100 W longitude where it gets awfully dry for growing corn. (Though I know that corn is a stable of the traditional diet of various Southwest Indian tribes. From what I've seen of places like Mesa Verde, though, the corn was grown in small, highly irrigated fields. I think.)

Ranching (lots of land + grazing animals, especially cows) is more common than farming (crops, with smaller economically viable plots of land) in eastern Wyoming. I think.

The green stuff outside Ennis's window looks like a hay field to me.

Now that you mention it, Mel, I have this vague memory from American History that west of the Hundredth Meridian was once considered "The Great American Desert," that is, you couldn't farm west of that line? Does that sound familiar?