Author Topic: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17  (Read 84796 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2007, 03:58:04 pm »
Well, I'm just sayin, I think the fact that the grass (or corn, or soybeans, or whatever the heck it is) that looks all green and healthy and natural and alive is outside the window, while Ennis himself is closed up inside -- considering the outside/inside distinction and the looking-through-windows symbolism that run throughout the film -- is significant. If the last shot were of Ennis outdoors in nature, it would have a different effect.

"Looking-through-windows symbolism"? Lord, that's another thread I think I'm glad I missed.  ;)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2007, 04:09:23 pm »
Ennis is just in purgatory.
And Ennis is still a working ranch hand by story's end...the trailer is basically just where he rests up between his work stints, which always take place out of doors. The round-up in which he decides not to participate in order to attend Junior's wedding would take place in the Tetons...just the kind of high country in which he found love with Jack. So Ennis would be exposed to Brokeback-reminiscent landscapes for the foreseeable future.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2007, 06:16:55 pm »
"Looking-through-windows symbolism"? Lord, that's another thread I think I'm glad I missed.  ;)  ;D

I don't think there's a single thread devoted to it, but it's been mentioned on quite a few threads. Notice how often Ennis is looking through a window or off into nature when thinking of or talking about Jack.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2007, 09:41:34 am »
Notice how often Ennis is looking through a window or off into nature when thinking of or talking about Jack.

Thanks, but I don't think I want to. I'm sorry if I'm offensive, but for me, personally, this excess of symbolism is just starting to seem a little ridiculous. (Of course, some of it has always seemed a bit de trops to me.) Maybe I'm just moving into a new "phase."  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2007, 10:40:09 am »
Thanks, but I don't think I want to. I'm sorry if I'm offensive, but for me, personally, this excess of symbolism is just starting to seem a little ridiculous. (Of course, some of it has always seemed a bit de trops to me.) Maybe I'm just moving into a new "phase."  :-\

That's okay Jeff. It just leaves more for us to talk about!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2007, 11:18:48 am »
That's okay Jeff. It just leaves more for us to talk about!

;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2007, 04:24:01 pm »
Oh one other thing along that line: I've been invited to go over to the DC site where they have a symbolism forum and contribute. So, it's nice to go visit with the symbolism junkies when the smoke in the just a cigar bar gets really thick around here.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2007, 04:33:26 pm »
it's nice to go visit with the symbolism junkies when the smoke in the just a cigar bar gets really thick around here.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

F-R, I'd be interested in hearing what all they're talking about over there in terms of symbolism. I'm curious if their ideas completely overlap ours, or if they have different ones, or what. Please report back!  :)

Meanwhile, the DC gang will be lucky to partake in the wisdom of as skilled a symbolismologist as yourself!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2007, 05:05:31 pm »

F-R, I'd be interested in hearing what all they're talking about over there in terms of symbolism. I'm curious if their ideas completely overlap ours, or if they have different ones, or what. Please report back!  :)

Oh, my goodness, what if they don't even recognize buckets, eagles, and looking through windows!?!  :o

Be careful over there!  :D

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2007, 08:03:02 pm »
To continue symbolism

I havn't read that much about it, but I did notice the window thing with Ennis  right away and wondered about that. Especially in the scenes where it is a minor detail, not like the major window scenes.

Like when he comes home to Alma and the crying babies, and as soon as he comes in and washes his hands he glances out the window, way before the reunion.

Was he looking for Jack already?

Also at Thanksgiving, before Alma lashes out, he looks out the window.  What for?
But it was snowing, so maybe he was just looking out at the snow.

I love the symbolism stuff, and well maybe some of it is a little excess, but so what?
It is fun, but I do wonder about it all, how much was really intentional?
I suppose it really doesn't matter, but it is all there.