Author Topic: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17  (Read 84829 times)

injest

Re: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2008, 03:57:33 pm »
I always pictured the 'gift shop' as that little area inside a grocery/gas station/restaurant thing like we have here in small towns in Texas....kinda a one stop shop...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2008, 04:33:03 pm »

When I was a teenager.  Around about the same time as Jack and Ennis..  We lived way out from the
main town.  However we had a truck stop, gas station with a small grocery store, and a post office all in one
building.  There was a section to buy levis, shirts and hats.  Scarves and gloves.  Both work gloves and mittens.
There was a basic food store and a gift card and post card section near the post office as well.  As Jess says,
a one stop store, for those times between saturdays for things you needed and didnt have.  Since back
then we only went to the market one time a week. It also allowed the huband or sweetheart the luxury of a few gifts for that forgotten birthday, or anniversary too.   And oh yes a hand dipped icecream section, and picnic
tables out front.   You could  sit and visit, or have your soda and ice cream.  A bunch of us teens used to ride
bikes over there after we rode the bus home from school and meet and talk and flirt....whatever teens did
back then.  Talk about friday night parties at  my house.  Or out by the reservoirs.   LOL
You know stone age stuff.

Beautiful mind

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2008, 04:58:48 pm »
That could well be it.

You teenage years sound a lot like mine Janice, except I never had parties at my house.  ;D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2008, 06:29:40 pm »
The Number 17 having been discussed beyond my ability to take it all in, I would like to add that I think that Ennis having a mailbox is meaningful in that:

1. He has given up the P.O. Box necessitated by frequest moves, it was a place where Jack could reach him.

Ehm, Jack was dead when Ennis put up the PO box  :-\

3. It was symbolic in that he was acknowledging that he was going to be right there, was not going anywhere else, and that the only opportunity he may ever have to live elsewhere was gone.

What a sad, but logical view. I can't help seeing the exact same action in a more positive light, somehow like making a declaration : Here I am, Ennis Del Mar.

Now I never understood why he was in Higgins Gift Shop. He never struck me as the kind of person who would go into a gift shop. 

Depends on what associativities you have with the term gift shop. Like others have already stated, I thought of a small, old-fashioned corner-shop.

What I found interesting is the fact that Linda Higgings called Ennis by his first name. She knew who he was and they were on friendly enough terms that she called him Ennis.
I somehow picture Linda Higgins as a motherly, middle-aged woman who was on friendly terms with all townsfolk who regularly stopped by her shop.
When Jack came for his surpise visit after the divorce, he had to ask ten different people to find Ennis. But Linda Higgins knew who Ennis was. I like her for this.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2008, 06:46:42 pm »

A PO Box is a delivery box rented inside the post office.  The box that Ennis puts up for mail delivery outside the trailer is the kind that would be used for a R.R. (Rural Route) address, and even though it is numbered, it probably wouldn't be referred to as a PO box.

I believe Ennis picks up his mail general delivery rather than uses a PO box, which means that the post office holds on to it until he comes to the post office to pick it up.

Edit:  RR is also listed as RFD (Rural Free Delivery) in some parts of the country.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Artiste

« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2008, 07:16:58 pm »
Interesting!

Proof? What is on the two or more cards Ennis got??

Hugs!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2008, 07:46:38 pm »
General Delivery
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2008, 07:48:59 pm »
Ennis applying the "7" to his Rural Route mailbox.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #198 on: February 23, 2008, 07:58:38 pm »

Yes, but I see it that way, too. He was putting out the box as an unconscious invitation for Jack to contact him.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #199 on: February 23, 2008, 08:16:07 pm »
Of course putting these pictures together reveals a movie mistake:

Jack hasn't included a return address on his card that says he will be coming through Riverton, even though Jack says to drop him a line.

Evidently, Ennis already knows where Jack is living when he writes him back to tell him "You bet!"  Since Jack doesn't include a return address, but asks Ennis to "drop him a line" (is this where Ennis gets his fishin' buddies reference?), Jack must already know that Ennis knows where Jack lives!