Author Topic: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17  (Read 85084 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17
« Reply #200 on: February 23, 2008, 08:36:38 pm »
Jack must already know that Ennis knows where Jack lives!

:laugh:  Guess Ennis keeps his friends' addresses in his head, too. Even if he's never been told what they are.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #201 on: February 23, 2008, 08:38:58 pm »
:laugh:  Guess Ennis keeps his friends' addresses in his head, too. Even if he's never been told what they are.

That's funny! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Artiste

« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2008, 11:19:40 pm »
Thanks for the post cards!!

Isn't there ANOTHER one?

Hugs!!

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2008, 06:45:35 pm »
there was no need for the case if the fish were immediately prepaired for a meal and how can you tell if a line was ever in the water?

This is my first-ever post, so forgive me if I do it wrong.  I was reading this long thread today, and wanted to answer jpwagoneer1964's question above from back in January of 2007, that I don't think anyone ever answered.  I think the "case" they were referring to was the tackle box, which, of course, would always be needed when fishing.  And you can tell if a line has been in water in two general ways:  first, the line, after having been cast and reeled back in a few times (which would have been the case on a "fishing trip" lasting for a week), begins to fray and show wear, similar to the way if you keep trying to thread a needle and missing the eye repeatedly, the thread will eventually split in two; and second, the line itself will discolor and begin to turn grayish or brownish, depending on the types of waters you're fishing in.  I'm sure j.p. has long ago forgotten asking this question; I was just trying to be helpful.

Mandy21 (latest member of the day)
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2008, 06:59:30 pm »
You did everything right, Mandy, and welcome to BetterMost!! I'll bet jp will be glad to have this information! I just love this place...nothing ever dies!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2008, 07:44:44 pm »
This is my first-ever post, so forgive me if I do it wrong.  I was reading this long thread today, and wanted to answer jpwagoneer1964's question above from back in January of 2007, that I don't think anyone ever answered.  I think the "case" they were referring to was the tackle box, which, of course, would always be needed when fishing.  And you can tell if a line has been in water in two general ways:  first, the line, after having been cast and reeled back in a few times (which would have been the case on a "fishing trip" lasting for a week), begins to fray and show wear, similar to the way if you keep trying to thread a needle and missing the eye repeatedly, the thread will eventually split in two; and second, the line itself will discolor and begin to turn grayish or brownish, depending on the types of waters you're fishing in.  I'm sure j.p. has long ago forgotten asking this question; I was just trying to be helpful.

Nice to see you found your way here, Mandy!

Welcome to Bettermost!

Bruce/ aka "G/xr40"
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2008, 09:11:23 pm »

Hey Mandy!

Great post!  And thanks for this info.  It's this kind of knowledge and attention to detail about things mentioned in BBM (like fishing, etc.) that make these topics so endlessly fascinating.  I personally, don't know anything about fishing, so it's great to know tidbits of info like this to help flesh out some of the context of what's being discussed in the film/ story.

Welcome to BetterMost!
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2008, 12:54:49 am »

I'm going to beat you all at being far-fetched: I like to read the 17 as 1+7=8. Because the "8" sideways becomes the sign of infinity. So the 17 really is a riddle, even a riddle within a riddle. 17 equals infinity, and what else equals infinity? The solution is "Jack and Ennis forever".

No, I don't at all think this is what was intended in the film. It's the explanation I favour even so.   :-* :)

good point, and remember Jacks goal as a rodeo cowboy is to ride for 8 seconds. the number 8 has very strong mythology in country and western songs because it is a metaphor for success.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2008, 11:21:36 am »
good point, and remember Jacks goal as a rodeo cowboy is to ride for 8 seconds. the number 8 has very strong mythology in country and western songs because it is a metaphor for success.

Good point Bud.  Now, following my BBM experience, I've become a big bull riding fan and watch it all the time.  And, I've always been curious about the origins of the 8 second rule.  I mean... why not an even 10 seconds or a "lucky" 7 seconds?   8 just seems so random somehow.  Do you happen to know more about what the number 8 means in this regard?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2008, 11:41:11 am »

Hey Mandy!
You are so right! My line usually comes back lookin pretty bad! I have to spend some time cleanin and re-spooling when I get back from a trip!
Welcome to Bettermost and thanks for sharing your insight!
It's never too late to answer a question or post on an old topic. Thats what keeps things alive and flourishing around here!
Richard AKA Loneleeb3
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"