Author Topic: Twins for Maggie Gyllenhaal (well not really)  (Read 3461 times)

vkm91941

Twins for Maggie Gyllenhaal (well not really)
« on: August 13, 2006, 10:46:28 am »
'Twins' for Gyllenhaal
Updated 8/9/2006 8:57 AM ET
By Donna Freydkin, USA TODAY

"As much as I tried to imagine what pregnancy would be like, it's totally different," observes Gyllenhaal. "It's blown my mind every step of the way."

NEW YORK — The top half of Maggie Gyllenhaal is all gussied-up, camera-ready movie star.
Her brown hair is softly braided and wrapped around her head, her blue eyes and plump lips lightly but meticulously made up, and her billowy purple top camouflages her pregnant belly.

Her bottom half is practical, relaxed, working mom-to-be in fitted dark jeans with sandals that reveal chipped dark polish on her toenails.

Gyllenhaal, a self-described clotheshorse, has other things on the brain. Like the baby she and fiancé Peter Sarsgaard, who starred in Shattered Glass and last year's Jarhead, are expecting this fall. And her other baby, World Trade Center, which opens Wednesday and stars Gyllenhaal (sister of Brokeback Mountain's Jake) as Allison Jimeno, pregnant wife of a Port Authority officer missing in the rubble on Sept. 11.

Seeing the film for the first time made Gyllenhaal, who was out of the country on Sept. 11 but flew back as soon as the airports were open again, go gaga for Gotham.

For Gyllenhaal, who graduated from Columbia University and lives in the West Village with Sarsgaard, 35, and their two cats, "seeing the Port Authority bus rushing downtown, and recognizing the corner of Greenwich and Canal, made me feel very proud to be a New Yorker. I know those places. That's my city."

And she's proud to be in the film.

"This movie was really made out of honesty, out of a desire to honor people who did an incredibly brave thing," says Gyllenhaal, 28, who famously said at the 2005 Tribeca Film Festival that "America has done reprehensible things and is responsible in some way" for the 9/11 attacks.

Today, she eschews politics and gives the credit for the film to Stone, better known for incendiary fare such as 1994's Natural Born Killers and 1991's JFK: "Everyone is so scared of what take he'll have on the subject, and it's so interesting to me that it's the most gentle and genuine take I've seen."

Gyllenhaal and Sarsgaard, who met three years ago at a dinner party, have no immediate plans to get married. She is busy promoting two other films: the romantic comedy Trust the Man, opening Aug. 18, and the low-budget drama Sherrybaby, out Aug. 25.

They also want to settle in as parents first. "As much as I tried to imagine what pregnancy would be like, it's totally different," says Gyllenhaal, rubbing her belly. "It's blown my mind every step of the way." They've decided to leave a major surprise for delivery day: whether they're having a boy or a girl.

Initially, Gyllenhaal had morning sickness. Now she feels "blissed out. It's part of it, all the hormones. It feels great. It's a real intense experience."

The only downside? "We do have the paparazzi after us now. They like pregnant actresses. They get 20 pictures of me doing nothing. It's weird."

She gets giggly and girlish when discussing her fiance, and she says someday they'll work together. "Peter always says we shouldn't play lovers. He wants to do something 1940s — where there's a spark between us, but we don't ever get together. Or we do for a second, and then I slap him."

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-08-08-maggie-gyllenhaal_x.htm 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 10:48:06 am by Victoria »

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Re: Twins for Maggie Gyllenhaal (well not really)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 11:13:40 am »
I really like this article, Victoria, thanks for posting it. I didn't know a lot of the things in it--that she graduated from Columbia, is only 28, and that she said that thing about the US after 9/11, which I have no problem with. I also love that they are leaving the gender of the baby a surprise. V cool!

J
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 12:36:45 pm »
Thanks for the article!

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 03:24:25 pm »
Great article! thanks for the read!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 02:29:11 pm »
Maggie is on the cover of Marie Claire magazine now, with the caption, "And you thought her brother was hot!!"

:)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 07:28:16 pm »
 :)   I <3 Maggie so much!!!     :-* :-* :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don