Author Topic: What is behind Jack and Ennis' hats?  (Read 19389 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What is behind Jack and Ennis' hats?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 02:44:49 pm »
Great post, Mikaela! I've been wearing my straw cowboy hat over the summer, and I can tell you that having it on really does affect your world view. And it's the most natural thing in the world to duck and have the hat take over when there is something you don't want to look at or confront. Also, when you're putting your hat on, especially with a straw one, you tend to "rock" it which is what I saw Ennis doing one or two times in the movie.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 02:47:16 pm »
Wow, such great observations, and all these scenes where the hats play such a big role are becoming iconic, especially when Jack looks around after his first glance at Ennis in front of Aguirre's trailer, the point where he turns away from him and looks away, his hat lowered, and then to the ground and we see him in profile. Oh my God, the first time I saw that I knew the movie was going to be unforgettable, that shot is a classic one. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:49:42 pm by mvansand76 »

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 02:51:44 pm »
Great post, Mikaela! I've been wearing my straw cowboy hat over the summer, and I can tell you that having it on really does affect your world view. And it's the most natural thing in the world to duck and have the hat take over when there is something you don't want to look at or confront. Also, when you're putting your hat on, especially with a straw one, you tend to "rock" it which is what I saw Ennis doing one or two times in the movie.

:D I have been wearing my straw one over the summer too, it's great, it's easy to pull it over your eyes when you are on the train!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 03:03:56 pm »
The hats are put to excellent use throughout the film - a combination of practical realism and symbolism that is so seamless it's nearly impossible to untangle the one from the other. I'm completely on board with what has been said here so far, so I won't repeat to prove that I agree.  ;)  I do however want to say how impressed I am at the use of those hats as effective props throughout the entire movie. And how impressed I am at Rodrigo Prieto for the camera angles that manage to show off the hats and their significance to the emotions of the characters in scene after scene, depending on the angle of the brim and how much or little of the face (and eyes) is shown.

Well stated! You have provided so many additional thoughts about how the hats were used.

I love everyone’s insights on this topic. All of you keep providing more and more ideas that I had not previously considered! Love it!!

I can't help thinking that one reason they kept the hats on in the dozy embrace was not only the realism (they're outside, and it's pretty cold) but the stunningly iconic image the two of them in their white and black hat create. They come close to forming the yin / yang symbol. I think Ang Lee may have thought it worthwhile prioritizing that over strict adherence to a consistent symbol language of hats donned and doffed.  :)

Great point!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 04:04:09 pm »
Fantastic post, Mikaela! And I love your explanation of hats in the dozy embrace!  :D

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 01:38:06 pm »
Diane and Katherine, thank you for the lovely comments.  :)

(I'm trying to remind myself to remember to give more positive feedback. There are so many insightful and wonderful posts to be read from all of you here and it's too easy to forget to say so before I hit the keyboard to post my own view on the topic at hand...... )

I can't believe I forgot the reunion knocking--the-hat-off moment in my list above. It's been mentioned in this thread, so it's not been forgotten (how could it, ever?) - but still. No overview of memorable BBM hat moments is complete without that one prominently featured.

**reminiscing mode**

After I'd read and fallen in love with the short story back in November (I think), one of the first actual film clips I got to see (beyond the trailer) was a relatively poor copy of the reunion kiss that someone had copied onto the net from the Logo Special. Don't know how many times I played that clip. It made such an impression. The whole thing, of course.... but the urgency of Ennis knocking that hat off is certainly part of it.  :-*

mvansand76

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 03:15:17 pm »
Diane and Katherine, thank you for the lovely comments.  :)

After I'd read and fallen in love with the short story back in November (I think), one of the first actual film clips I got to see (beyond the trailer) was a relatively poor copy of the reunion kiss that someone had copied onto the net from the Logo Special. Don't know how many times I played that clip. It made such an impression. The whole thing, of course.... but the urgency of Ennis knocking that hat off is certainly part of it.  :-*

It shows the passion Ennis is feeling, the knocking the hat off was the first thing that struck me about the whole scene, and still, that's what gets to me most when I watch the movie. I also love that Jack, after a fraction of a second, lays his hand against Ennis' head, I always notice the wedding ring then. Sorry, that had nothing to do with hats...

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 03:20:42 pm »
It shows the passion Ennis is feeling, the knocking the hat off was the first thing that struck me about the whole scene, and still, that's what gets to me most when I watch the movie. I also love that Jack, after a fraction of a second, lays his hand against Ennis' head, I always notice the wedding ring then. Sorry, that had nothing to do with hats...

It doesn't matter! ;DThese are free flowing discussions.

Yeah ... the wedding rings.  :(   I have to admit that I hate seeing those rings during the reunion scene. Not sure why that bothers me so much, but it does. Am I the only one?
Diane

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 11:51:45 pm »
*bump* I really wonder if this was intentional...
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 06:44:54 pm »
I really wonder if this was intentional...

Do you mean the rings?

I also noticed that there are a number of scenes where Jack is wearing a "taupe" colored hat vesrus his signature black hat. I'm unsure if there is a trend there .... can anyone enlighten me?
Diane