Author Topic: What is behind Jack and Ennis' hats?  (Read 19540 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: What is behind Jack and Ennis' hats?
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 07:03:09 pm »
I also noticed that there are a number of scenes where Jack is wearing a "taupe" colored hat vesrus his signature black hat. I'm unsure if there is a trend there .... can anyone enlighten me?

The reunion, the post-divorce scene, and the camping trip after the Thanksgiving scenes.

The three times that Jack mentions living together (even indirectly) with any smidgeon of hope that it's possible.

(Jack also wears a white (?) hat when he's demonstrating in the tractors in the "didn't that pissant used to ride bulls?" scene.)

Another thing I noticed... in the Angry Tussle, Jack knocks Ennis's hat off, but Jack's hat stays on until after the punch.

As for the rings... I think it is intentional that they're shown. They're kind of a subtle reminder of how complicated the relationship is, even when the guys seem to forget it (like during the reunion kiss, during which both rings show up on hands holding faces, or during the Motel Siesta scene, where they're naked except for their rings). Alma's wedding ring also is really obvious in a couple scenes, like right after Ennis takes off on his first fishing trip, when Alma is hugging Alma Jr.

So now that makes me wonder. When we see Alma hanging out the laundry, she's just been washing the shirt Ennis was wearing when he had sex for the first time. But do we ever seen Lureen handling anything of Jack's that would have similar significance? When Lureen knocks Jack's hat off in the car, maybe?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 08:18:19 pm »
The reunion, the post-divorce scene, and the camping trip after the Thanksgiving scenes.

The three times that Jack mentions living together (even indirectly) with any smidgeon of hope that it's possible.

Excellent observation! I never saw it that way, but it makes sense. Interestingly, I saw it exactly opposite. Every time Jack wore the lighter hat, his hopes and dreams were dashed. Maybe we are saying something similar. It is just the opposite sides of the same coin.

As for the rings... I think it is intentional that they're shown. They're kind of a subtle reminder of how complicated the relationship is, even when the guys seem to forget it (like during the reunion kiss, during which both rings show up on hands holding faces, or during the Motel Siesta scene, where they're naked except for their rings). Alma's wedding ring also is really obvious in a couple scenes, like right after Ennis takes off on his first fishing trip, when Alma is hugging Alma Jr.

This makes sense. It shows the incongruity of the situation. The idea that Ennis and Jack are in bed together is diametrically opposed to the wedding rings and what those rings symbolize. 

So now that makes me wonder. When we see Alma hanging out the laundry, she's just been washing the shirt Ennis was wearing when he had sex for the first time. But do we ever seen Lureen handling anything of Jack's that would have similar significance? When Lureen knocks Jack's hat off in the car, maybe?

I don’t think Lureen “handles” anything that is significant to Jack and Ennis’ relationship. Lureen is the dominant person in Jack and her marriage. Alma, however, is subservient (at least at the beginning). Alma is handling the shirt in which her husband lost his virginity and then is seen washing Ennis’ underwear on a washboard inside the house (wearing several layers of clothes). It is the polar opposite to BBM. Jack is washing Ennis’ shirt outside and he is wearing nothing (except his boots). Ennis doesn’t even have any underwear while on the mountain. Additionally, Lureen is closed off and becomes more and more embittered. Alma is much more vulnerable and is never able to get beyond the fact that Ennis loved Jack. It is ironic that Alma has washed and handled the shirt in which her husband’s relationship with Jack was consummated … and then it is Alma who sees Jack and Ennis together.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 08:57:03 pm »
Excellent observation! I never saw it that way, but it makes sense. Interestingly, I saw it exactly opposite. Every time Jack wore the lighter hat, his hopes and dreams were dashed. Maybe we are saying something similar. It is just the opposite sides of the same coin.

Yep. Two ways of describing the same thing, I think. I was scrambling for some way of separating the "maybe Texas" scene from the lake confrontation, where Jack is wearing a black hat again. I guess you could say that, since Jack didn't have any hopes left ("I did once"), they weren't dashed in quite the same way at the last meeting.

Though I suspect that there's another reason Jack is wearing a black hat in the last scene: to help the viewers make a connection back to the mountain, both emotionally and visually. It helps the editing of the dozy embrace that Jack's wearing a black hat in both scenes -- and by keeping the hat similar, it makes the difference in Jack's eyes so much more painful. (The softer, more romantic look as Jack watches Ennis leave in the flashback, and the... dead? hopeless? look as Jack watches Ennis drive away for the last time.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 10:58:25 am »
Yep. Two ways of describing the same thing, I think. I was scrambling for some way of separating the "maybe Texas" scene from the lake confrontation, where Jack is wearing a black hat again. I guess you could say that, since Jack didn't have any hopes left ("I did once"), they weren't dashed in quite the same way at the last meeting.

Though I suspect that there's another reason Jack is wearing a black hat in the last scene: to help the viewers make a connection back to the mountain, both emotionally and visually. It helps the editing of the dozy embrace that Jack's wearing a black hat in both scenes -- and by keeping the hat similar, it makes the difference in Jack's eyes so much more painful. (The softer, more romantic look as Jack watches Ennis leave in the flashback, and the... dead? hopeless? look as Jack watches Ennis drive away for the last time.)

Again, a great observation, Mel. Your comments made me start to think (which is a scary thing …  :laugh: ). I know there is another thread (I think started by Opinionista) talking about the “yin and yang” between Jack and Ennis.

http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/bldefyinyang.htm

The yin yang is the easily recognized Taoist symbol of the interplay of forces in the universe. In Chinese philosophy, yin and yang represent the two primal cosmic forces in the universe. Yin (moon) is the receptive, passive, cold female force. Yang (sun) is masculine- force, movement, heat.

The Yin Yang symbol represents the idealized harmony of these forces; equilibrium in the universe. In ancient Taoist texts, white and black represent enlightenment and ignorance, respectively.

I bring this theory back into discussion because I think the yin-yang symbol illustrates Jack’s and Ennis’ relationship …. albeit not the “passive, cold female force” … but the concept that they exemplify the “harmony of these forces.”  It is stated in the screenplay that, after the “dozy embrace,” when we see an older Jack watching Ennis drive away …. Jack is watching his “other half.” Their hats are an outward expression of the “yin-yang” philosophy. Since the lake scene was their last time together (although Jack and Ennis didn’t know it) we, the audience, are brought back to the idea that one is not complete without the other. 
Diane

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2006, 12:32:13 pm »
Do you mean the rings?

I also noticed that there are a number of scenes where Jack is wearing a "taupe" colored hat vesrus his signature black hat. I'm unsure if there is a trend there .... can anyone enlighten me?

I always think it shows how close they are at that moment, I always see the reunion scene as the peak of their love for each other, and this is where Jack wears a hat that matches the color that Ennis wears mostly. He also wears a light-colored one when he drives up after the divorce, maybe showing that he thinks this is the point where he thinks they will be together? I don't know...

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006, 01:21:46 pm »
I always think it shows how close they are at that moment, I always see the reunion scene as the peak of their love for each other, and this is where Jack wears a hat that matches the color that Ennis wears mostly. He also wears a light-colored one when he drives up after the divorce, maybe showing that he thinks this is the point where he thinks they will be together? I don't know...

Something you said has triggered this thought .... could the lighter hats signify a new phase in their relationship? I mean, they are no longer on BBM and they will never be able to recapture that time (i.e. the complete freedom that BBM represented). Hmmmm ....  :-\ . Other viewpoints??
Diane

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2006, 11:29:17 pm »
Yes, in that terrible flashback, the first thing that happens is he is hit from behind, and his hat is knocked off.  :(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 06:21:59 am »
Yes, in that terrible flashback, the first thing that happens is he is hit from behind, and his hat is knocked off.  :(

I always close my eyes during this flashback, I cannot watch it.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 08:49:26 am »

But it's not really a "flashback." It's what Ennis thinks happened. Although it's amiguous, I do tend to think that is what happened.  :'( No matter what, it is incredibly difficult to watch.
Diane

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 01:59:49 pm »
You're right, it's not a flashback. I stand corrected.  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"