Author Topic: What is behind Jack and Ennis' hats?  (Read 19549 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: What is behind Jack and Ennis' hats?
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2006, 07:01:44 pm »
It does seem clear that Jack (in person, not just the thought and memory of him)  enters and leaves Ennis's life close to a railroad track.

It's been said that the train going by Ennis in the beginning of the film for a few moments make us see him as if in the separate images of a roll of film. The train carriages separate the view of Ennis into one passing image after the other: The first few images of a whole life in revue.

So perhaps the train in the beginning tells us we are about to see the relevant images / scenes of Ennis's and Jack's lives together; - Jack appearing and entering Ennis's life as soon as that train has gone past. Then, with Jack's exit from Ennis's life there's the now empty railroad track as part of Ennis's vision of what happens to Jack: The train has left and is gone for good, the track is empty, there are no more new images to be had.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2006, 07:42:48 pm »
Thanks for bringing this up, Diane. I'll try to add to Mikaela and goadra's excellent observations. The thing I think of first with the railroad tracks is the beginning and end of a journey. The story is like a journey, and the actors wind up in a far different place than where they started. On another level, trains are an icon in the West because they tamed the West and made it possible for people to come in and populate it and "civilize" it. Trains bisected towns and whole areas of the country and brought divisiveness so that you had to be from the right side of the tracks and never go to the wrong side of the tracks. I talk about this more in the subject "Broken in Two" on Chez Tremblay. On yet anohter level, there are two tracks which are forever joined, so the train tracks are a symbol speaking of the duality of Jack and Ennis.

The way I interpret the beginning view when we see Ennis through the gaps in a passing train is an alternating dark and light scene, which introduces the theme of yin and yang, the opposite and complementary forces of dark and light, noisy and quiet, etc. that will work upon Ennis and Jack throughout the film.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2006, 12:12:53 pm »
Great observations all! My town is full of trains. So now, whenever I see a train go by I will think of Jack and Ennis' relationship (instead of rolling my eyes and pounding on the stearing wheel!).  ;)

Trains are also a heavy and forceful piece of transportation. When a train tries to stop, it can take miles. When it hits someone/ something it is very destructive (often deadly). Jack and Ennis’ relationship seemed to be directed by a force that neither knew how to handle. After the reunion, when Jack asks Ennis (in essence) how long they will be able to continue their secret relationship … Ennis uses a horse metaphor: “As long as we can ride it. There ain’t no reins on this one.”  I’m not sure where I am going with all of this. It just seems to me that the train, when started, it very difficult to stop unless forced to do so. In essence, isn’t that what happened to Jack and Ennis?
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2006, 02:02:12 pm »
Short on time to post, but...

Do any of you know Michelle Shocked's song "If Love Was a Train"?

Lyrics here: http://www.michelleshocked.com/chords_if_love_was_train.htm

I guess I should list this in "songs that remind me of BBM," huh?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2006, 06:51:57 pm »
Short on time to post, but...

Do any of you know Michelle Shocked's song "If Love Was a Train"?

Lyrics here: http://www.michelleshocked.com/chords_if_love_was_train.htm

I guess I should list this in "songs that remind me of BBM," huh?

That song's lyrics hit the mark! WOW!
Diane

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2006, 11:00:40 am »
Well, the train was known as the “iron horse.”

OMG! I didn't know that! That makes even more sense!
Diane

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 04:26:12 pm »
I was just reading the interesting interview with the location manager of the movie, and he said this about finding the best old-time and dilapidated locations for the movie:
we took a map of Alberta and highlighted every rail line, current and former.

Read the interview! There's a link in Movie Resources.

Offline serious crayons

Re: What is behind Jack and Ennis's hats?
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2006, 11:44:31 pm »
Ennis takes off his own hat when he kneels in the alley (using his hat to shield himself from the world),

Somebody just noticed this on an imdb thread as a bookend to the moment in the "happy tussle" where Ennis takes off his hat to shield their kiss -- even when, as far as he knows, the world can't see them.

Ennis puts on his hat after the Thankgiving dinner (someone mentioned that he puts it on backward, but I can't tell); his hat is then knocked off when the trucker hits him.

And as a result of posting on the aforementioned bookend thread, I'm so hyperaware of bookends that this makes me think, "Is this a bookend specifically linked to some former scene of hat-knocking off?" I mean, lots if not all of the love scenes involve knocked-off hats.

I suppose I'd need a little more to go on to call it an actual bookend, though. But part of me is busily thinking, is this the anti-reunion scene?. Once you start looking for stuff like this, it's hard to know where to stop!

:laugh:

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2006, 08:35:46 am »
....is this the anti-reunion scene?

Surely the scene where Jack is murdered is the ultimate anti-reunion scene... But of course there can be more than one, since so much in both their separate and difficult lives is anti-reunion to some degree.

A bookends thread would be great!  :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:38:30 am by Mikaela »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2006, 06:51:53 pm »
Amanda has a "bookends" thread in the archive. Maybe we can get her to revive it. If she doesn't, I will start one, altho I'll need to do some research first!!