Author Topic: THE AERO SCREENING THREAD frm IMDB - part 1  (Read 3429 times)

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm a brokie and proud of it!
THE AERO SCREENING THREAD frm IMDB - part 1
« on: April 02, 2006, 04:44:32 pm »
reannawrites: it's been deleted from imdb, i saved it a couple of days ago - one of my favorite threads, I loved hearing about the screening:

Great screening tonight at the Aero!   

by - johntracytb5 (Tue Feb 14 2006 00:14:31 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Tue Feb 14 2006 11:10:53
 Just running in the door from tonight's screening at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica, but I wanted to file off a quickie report. Firstly, Ang Lee couldn't make it because of the big blizzard back East; he was trapped in Connecticut. However, he was amply made up for by the likes of Heath Ledger, Michelle Williams, Jake Gyllenhaal, Diana Ossana, Gustavo Santaolalla and cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto, all of whom were absolutely gracious. I didn't take notes and I'm sure that someone will ably fill in all of the details as they get home, but let me just say that Jake is so cute and funny in person and Heath gave some very thoughtful answers regarding his role (and is quite handsome as well). Jake also sang a bit of a disco tune for us (a little bit of "Night Fever" in which he tried to sound like Barry Gibb!), spurred on by the funky old microphone he was given. (He said it was a "'70s" microphone, hence the disco reference)! Questions were asked about how they approached their roles and about how Diana came to write the script. She addressed how difficult it had been to watch it bounce around from studio to studio for the better part of seven years. Gustavo told us that he'd written the score from the script long before any footage was shot (which is a rarity, really, since most composers score based on the visuals as opposed to composing based on the words---but he really "saw" the script come to life as he'd read it, which the viewer can easily tell). He said that upon hearing it, Ang Lee assumed it had been written for a previous project and had wished it were available for this film! (He got a collective laugh on that one)! Obviously, Lee recognized immediately just how perfect a score it was for his film. And, of course, someone just HAD to ask about "the kissing" and about the ending and if Ennis really knew what had happened to Jack. I loved Jake's response to that, which was that we live in this literal world which expects a concrete explanation and answer to everything under the sun and that there are times when that isn't necessary. (In other words, it's up to the viewer to interpret). Perfect answer indeed! Also, as I mentioned in a different thread: Jake talked about dealing with this sadness syndrome which so many of us experience after seeing the film, a sentiment with which I'm sure everyone there could relate. Here's someone who had to experience and portray the desperation of being Jack Twist and he's had to relive that with each screening of the film he's attended. He mentioned that it's difficult for him to have to view the final scenes of the movie, yet these actors are normally brought in for the panel discussions during that point in the film, often forcing him to have to view it. That really touched me because I've found that while I can get through the rest, the final sequences are the toughest part for me to get through as well. He was very honest about his feelings on this and it was truly touching. Both Jake and Heath talked about how very masculine their characters were, as befitting the script and the original story, and that the story wouldn't have worked any other way. Heath talked about personifying that rough and tough cowboy image and how he used body language (the speaking through clenched teeth with balled-up fists and arched shoulders, and the violence with which his character dealt with situations) to convey Ennis' pent up rage and frustration. Oh yeah---and a woman asked a rambling question about subtext in the film which seemed to throw many people in the audience as well as some of the panel. Jake turned it around on her and said that she could probably address that better than any of them could! (Sorry, I had no clue what the heck she was asking about)... Michelle was asked about why it took Alma so long to part from Ennis after catching his kiss with Jack. Her response mentioned Alma's dire circumstances---poverty, having two children to raise and no prospects of anything better at the time. (And both she and Heath mentioned Ennis' violent streak and Michelle figured that for yet another reason why Alma wouldn't have wanted to confront Ennis any sooner). What irked me was the way in which she was asked the question, with the moderator remarking something to the effect of "...the audience likes her, but we're not supposed to like her TOO much..." And there's me saying, "Excuse you?!" [I not only "like" Alma but feel extreme sorrow for her! No matter how much we are meant to sympathize with Jack and Ennis (and of course I do), Alma is certainly an innocent in this and a sympathetic character...but I digress.] After that answer, Michelle really didn't have anything else to say and everything else was directed mainly at Jake and Heath, except for one gentleman who commented on how wonderful Santaolalla's score is. Another person summed it all up by remarking on what a gift this film is to the world. (Too right)! All of us walking in received the press book that went out in the Daily Variety last week---score! And, happily, it appeared that several people who had come in need of a ticket were lucky enough to get in after all. I was really glad to see that folks who had come all the way from San Francisco, Chicago and other distances were able to experience this evening's moving panel discussion. Didn't get any photos, since they'd given us a stern warning about no photos or autographs and had big, stern-looking guards on either side of the stage. Nevertheless, the second we had thanked the panel for their appearance, some woman streaked forward and mobbed Jake, much to the security guard's shock. I lost sight of what happened next, but he appeared to be signing an autograph as I turned to leave. My sis and I had a bit of trouble navigating the driveway, which was advantageous because Heath and Michelle were trying to exit through it in their SUV at the time. My sis had to take it slowly because she's just had hip replacement surgery and it's an uneven walkway, but Heath was very nice and patient about it and even smiled and nodded to us (which WAS nice, because I'm sure he wanted to floor it before people mobbed the car)! Many thanks to all involved in putting this together; it was greatly appreciated! And thanks for reading all of this rambling, folks. I'm sure all of the IMDB regulars who attended will do a better job of filling in the events of the evening than I did. I was really trying to take it all in and it takes a bit for it to come back into my head after something like this. I'm sure someone took good notes regarding the questions (at least I hope so)!

Re: Great screening tonight at the Aero!     

by - diamond_inrough (Tue Feb 14 2006 00:17:49 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Wow, thanks. Wish I could've gone.

by - Bryan304 (Tue Feb 14 2006 00:19:05 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Wow! It's just now screening at the Aero!??

[Post deleted]     

This message has been deleted by the poster

by - nicoleross76 (Tue Feb 14 2006 01:02:00 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Wow - I'm so jealous. But also so happy that you took the time to post this. Thanks so much - look forward to hearing more about it! -Nicole  Well, I'm a highly intelligent underachiever. With debt.

by - damiengonzalez (Tue Feb 14 2006 01:04:47 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

as for the score being written before the shooting, i think jon brion did the same thing for PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE. Thanks for the report :)

by - muscla_1 (Tue Feb 14 2006 01:15:37 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

All I can say is...wow. I can die happy now. It was AMAZING to see them up on stage. I'll post more when I have a chance to process it. One thing that really stood out for me was, after several people thanked everyone involved for such a wonderful movie, Jake talked about how he can't watch the film, because he became Jack Twist for three months and the feelings that come back with watching the film come back and they're rather hard to deal with. He then said that it was hard enough for him to live in this character for three months, but that people had to live with it for their whole lives. Very touching. The last question was more of a statement, that the viewer didn't feel that they've been given a film, but more like a gift. I loved that. As to the first post, when Jake made the crack earlier in the Q&A about the totally retro microphone, he sang "Fever night, fever night, fever" from "Saturday Night Fever." A great ice-breaker; he's obviously the outgoing one in the bunch. Heath was very measured and had his arms folded most of the time, a very DELIBERATE fellow. You could see how they had brought their personalities to the roles. Another great moment was when the two actors were talking about Ang Lee's style. As mentioned previously, they talked about his love of silence, and how they got a lot of preparation before shooting, but when they arrived, Ang gave them little to no direction. Jake then talked about how Ang's silence can be misinterpreted as "sensitive," but then Heath talked about the "violence with the silence," and Jake said something about their being a sword to Ang's silence. Low point for me...someone in the audience asked if they'd ever had an interview where the kissing WASN'T mentioned. Both actors immediately said "NO!" Then the next questioner asked about the kissing! "Jack, I swear..."

by - nicoleross76 (Tue Feb 14 2006 01:21:21 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Wow - So great. Jake really likes that song, huh? Wish I could have seen it. That really sucks about the person asking re: the kissing scenes. The first question was interesting, and then the next person had to go and ruin it. Were they clueless to what had just transpired?? Jeez. Thanks for taking the time to post! -Nicole  Well, I'm a highly intelligent underachiever. With debt.

by - Shuggy (Tue Feb 14 2006 01:34:14 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

he sang "Fever night, fever night, fever" from "Saturday Night Fever."  And here was me thinking it was "NIGHT fever, NIGHT fever, NIGHT fee-ever" all these years.... "If you can't stand it, you gotta fix it."

by - johntracytb5 (Tue Feb 14 2006 03:31:45 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

*bump*

by - delalluvia (Tue Feb 14 2006 05:39:12 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

LOL! Jake's comment about the mic makes me laugh. How would he know what a 70's mic looks like? He was born in 1980!! LOL! That really sucks about the person asking re: the kissing scenes. The first question was interesting, and then the next person had to go and ruin it. Were they clueless to what had just transpired??! Probably. WHY in the world would they ask? They can find their answer in EVERY interview. All I can think is those people had waited a long time to ask about the kissing just to have the person in front of them make fun of their question and they decided to ask it anyway. Team Jolie

by - nicoleross76 (Tue Feb 14 2006 05:41:36 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

You're probably right, but if it had been me, the previous question would have shamed me into keeping quiet. -Nicole  Well, I'm a highly intelligent underachiever. With debt.

by - delalluvia (Tue Feb 14 2006 05:45:57 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

You're probably right, but if it had been me, the previous question would have shamed me into keeping quiet. No kidding. But some people have no shame or are just oblivious or pigheaded. I at least would have come up with a more original question. Team Jolie

by - Kd5000 (Tue Feb 14 2006 06:25:56 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Lucky west coasters, you get all the cultural events.. Are they going to tour! Thanks for sharing.. I'm glad Jake has a sense of humor and finds the ending emotional. Shameful about them being repeatedly asked about the kissing scene... I can see what Jake is saying i.e. "Jake's response to that, which was that we live in this literal world which expects a concrete explanation and answer to everything under the sun and that there are times when that isn't necessary. (In other words, it's up to the viewer to interpret). Perfect answer indeed!" However, ppl do want closure. IT's just human nature. A) Ppl asked Tony Kuschner what happened to the married gay Mormon guy in ANgels in America and his response was "I don't know." Every other character was accounted for. Last shot of Mormon guy is Descending the subway portal into the darkness. B) We know the girl dies in LOVE STORY and Oliver is reconciled with his father. End. Presume he will move on with his life. But the ending of BBM is so damn dangling.

by - ednbarby (Tue Feb 14 2006 06:29:20 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Thanks for the great reports. You both did a bang-up job. It's nice to get different participants' perspectives, but John, your initial report was great (it sounds like you doubt your ability in writing it - but you write beautifully). I find these screening Q&As so fascinating. I try to attend them at film festivals down here every chance I get - it doesn't matter if I know of the filmmakers/actors beforehand. But it makes it more fun when I do. ;) And yes, people do ask some boneheaded questions, don't they? I thought the initial kissing question was quite clever, though. How can you not answer no? Good one. I was going to ask whether they were all there for the entire movie, or came in at the end. At the film festivals, it's like a premiere for a lot of them so oftentimes they're there the whole time. I was wondering how difficult that must be to have to watch yourself over and over again - I know Heath has said in a couple of interviews that that is always very hard for him/actors generally. I hadn't thought about how hard it must be for Jake especially, dealing with the loss of his own character again and again. Thanks for sharing his thoughts on that. Look at you all, see the love there that's sleeping...

by - eric_yen (Tue Feb 14 2006 08:03:31 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

I too attended the screening. It was great to see the movie again and I appreciated the actors, as well as the Diana, Gustavo and Rodrigo for putting in their time for the Q & A. But, I do have to say that I was somewhat disappointed at some of the questions asked/comments made during the Q & A. I think there are so many people who are so taken by the movie that it felt like a fawning & smooching session. I would've liked to hear more about the rehearsal and the production aspect of the movie, but those questions weren't asked. Instead we got questions like "have you done any interviews where the interviewer didn't ask you about the sex scene." The worst was the 2nd to last question, when someone asked the cast whether Heath put in a cameo in the scene with Jack picking up a hustler in Mexico, because apparently the person who asked the question had seen a figure in the background that resembled Heath?! I mean, it's one thing to be passionate about a movie, it's another when one's obsessed over trivial things like that! I think the most interesting things that I got from the Q&A were Diana's recounting of why it took eight years to make this movie and Gustavo's explanation as to how he came up with the score.

by - surf501 (Tue Feb 14 2006 08:14:35 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

The person who asked about "the kiss" the second time was our very own Henrypie from IMDB, please don't criticize her too much, because I was actually there (she was sitting right behind me), and what she asked them was what they thought was the subtext of all the questions about the kissing, like *why* did they think people couldn't get past it and want to keep asking about it, and it actually stirred some deep thought and answers on both Jake and Heath's part, but mostly Jake, it was an excellent question actually, if you were up front (we were in the second and third rows, just feet away from the boys) and could hear everything. P.S. I am the person who made the final statement to the boys and Diana, Rodrigo and Gustavo about them not just doing their jobs when they made this film, but that they had given me a gift, and I also specifically spotlighted Gustavo for his score during that as well. "You know it could be like this, just like this, always" Black Hat White Hat

by - anml-lvr (Tue Feb 14 2006 08:18:11 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Great commments last night surf501. I applauded you. It's so great to see a face with a user name...lol

by - surf501 (Tue Feb 14 2006 08:29:15 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Thanks, when I was saying it, I really even wasn't aware of how people were reacting to what I was saying, I was just concentrating on talking to all of them, but at our post screening gethering at the restaurant, maribel (I think that is how you spell her name - she posts around here) and the friend that she was with her told me that they were looking at Jake when I said what I did and that he was really touched by it, he had this look on his face. I remember him looking at me and I do remember him sort of smiling but my head was spinning so I don't know and I wondered what Heath thought because I just remember him having a serious expression but he tends to look like that alot. Gustavo had a big smiile on his face and said "thank you". "You know it could be like this, just like this, always" Black Hat White Hat

eric_yen, you may have answered my question, but     

by - Julie01 (Tue Feb 14 2006 08:32:50 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

but--HOW WAS THE CROWD AS A MOVIE AUDIENCE? You say they asked some really dumb questions--but I've read other reports of good questions asked--so I was wondering, did they shut up most of the time, laugh in the right places, were they crying at the end? I know my experience with seeing the film many times is always a little dependent onbthe people I see it with... Thanks for the reports, guys! "You come back and see us again"--Jack's mother "Ennis dies of lung cancer in his early 60s. Jack comes for him at the end. They are together, forever, on Brokeback mountain, and it's a sweet life. (What can I say? I'm a romasntic.)"--JLScheib

by - yaadpyar (Tue Feb 14 2006 08:38:36 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Thnaks to everyone who was there for their reports back. Wish I had been there...please, share anything else ya'll can think of - Q&A, especially. Thanks. "I feel awful bad about Jack. Can't begin to say how bad I feel."

by - starboardlight (Tue Feb 14 2006 08:49:12 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Low point for me...someone in the audience asked if they'd ever had an interview where the kissing WASN'T mentioned. Both actors immediately said "NO!" Then the next questioner asked about the kissing!  actually no. i have to defend this because it is one of our very own imdb members who asked the follow up. The question was "what did they think was the subtext to all the kissing questions?" It was NOT a question about the kissing, but about what Heath and Jake thought about all those interviewers who asked about kissing; what they thought those interviewers were trying to get at?

by - starboardlight (Tue Feb 14 2006 08:54:45 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

And, of course, someone just HAD to ask about the ending and if Ennis really knew what had happened to Jack. I loved Jake's response to that, which was that we live in this literal world which expects a concrete explanation and answer to everything under the sun and that there are times when that isn't necessary. (In other words, it's up to the viewer to interpret). Perfect answer indeed!  his final words to this question just blew me away. Jake said "Jack died the moment they couldn't be together." I remember hearing the entire audience gasp at this. You could really feel the pain in Jake's voice. It felt honest. I was struck by the fact that he'd never said this before in any interviews prior to this. It didn't feel like a line that he'd rehearsed or have said too often. It felt like he gave the question thought and really felt what he said.

by - zeprules (Tue Feb 14 2006 09:17:33 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

*bump* I was there last night but won't be able to comment until lunch time.

by - Zippydash (Tue Feb 14 2006 09:19:25 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Man, how do you get into such an event? Do you need to be special vip?

by - zeprules (Tue Feb 14 2006 09:49:58 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Any one of you with good memories want to recount Jake and Rodrigo's story about the Mexico scene? It was very funny.

by - starboardlight (Tue Feb 14 2006 09:54:28 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

btw. i just have to say, despite what you may all think about how he looks in the film, Rodrigo Prieto is a gorgeous man. He looked amazing last night, tall, olive skinned, with soft wavy hair, very classic features. Very sexy when he walked out onto the stage.

by - opinionista (Tue Feb 14 2006 09:54:39 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Tue Feb 14 2006 10:31:04
  his final words to this question just blew me away. Jake said "Jack died the moment they couldn't be together."  God, I wish I was there. I don't agree with Jake Gyllenhaal. The story itself doesn't even imply what he said. When Ennis goes to visit Jack's parents after finding out about his death, he learns two things: 1) That Jack loved him in a way he never suspected (he realizes this when he finds the shirts;) and 2)that Jack had left him for another man. Jack's father tells Ennis that his son was planning to leave his wife and move back to Wyoming with some rancher from Texas. I suspect it was the same man he met when he and Lureen were at the party/dance or whatever. In fact, Jack even lies to Ennis. There's a scene when they are sharing a joint in front of a fire. There Jack tells Ennis he is having an affair with a wife of a rancher. After seeing the scene where Ennis talks to Jack's father, what I understood was that Jack was actually having an affair with the woman's husband. In my opinion, Jake Gyllenhaal's remarks makes Jack Twist look like a quitter when he is exactly the contrary. He is the bravest of the two, the one who always fought for them to be together, and the one who actually kept the relationship alive. He was always travelling back and forth to see Ennis, caring less about the consequences of it. He was eager to leave his wife and son for Ennis. He was always in search for his own happiness. And when he realizes Ennis would never change his mind, he moved on and found himself another man. In a nutshell, I think Jack's death has nothing to do with the fact that they could no longer be together. I think it has two purposes: 1. To show the painful reality of gay bashing 2. To increase Ennis' solitude and suffering.

Del, I was with the person who asked the follow up kissing question. At first, I was uncomfortable about it, (after all, I had just met her three hours before!) but I feel it really was a legitimate question and it pushed Jake G at least to provide a response which I thought to be insightful and added to my understanding of the cultural phenomena of the film and their role in that phenomena. Plus, the question, although detailed, was asked with wit (throwaway reference to Oprah), which made the cast at least laugh - and was trying to go deeper. The question was basically about what Jake and Heath believed was the real reason the questions about kissing were repeatedly asked - and I think the questioner would have been ok even with an answer such as "because people want to be titillated" and that's all - but Jake went farther and mused about the possible reasons. I defend this questioner and her question, and believe the question drew out a response that was worth hearing. BTW, she told us she wouldn't have even asked her question (for fear of just this kind of backlash) if the previous questioner had not broken the ice with his "has there been a interview where you haven't been asked" question. ". . . the single moment of artless, charmed happiness. . ."

by - losersticker22 (Tue Feb 14 2006 10:24:02 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Thanks for filling us in with what happened last night. I would to have gone there but the tickets were sold out. I hope they do more group interviews in LA.

Re: eric_yen, you may have answered my question, but     

by - mlewisusc (Tue Feb 14 2006 10:27:01 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Crowd was fantastic - laughed in all the right places - some folks openly sobbing at the end of the film. Sound system was the best yet (but I missed Ennis humming "Streets of Laredo" dammit)! ". . . the single moment of artless, charmed happiness. . ."

by - xsparkle_motionx (Tue Feb 14 2006 10:28:46 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

bump so I can find it.

[Post deleted]     

This message has been deleted by the poster

by - stephend01 (Tue Feb 14 2006 10:44:06 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

opinionista  God, I wish I was there. I don't agree with Jake Gyllenhaal... And when he realizes Ennis would never change his mind, he moved on and found himself another man.  I disagree. He maybe moved on to another fella for a physical relationship (we know he needs this from the "high altitude *beep* line), but his heart did die upon losing any chance of having Ennis for himself. Why else would he want his ashes scattered on Brokeback Mountain?

by - eric_yen (Tue Feb 14 2006 10:47:35 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BTW, she told us she wouldn't have even asked her question (for fear of just this kind of backlash) if the previous questioner had not broken the ice with his "has there been a interview where you haven't been asked" question. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- but that was really a pointless question because it would've been perhaps the first interview/Q&A the cast had done that didn't ask the gay love scene question. But instead, someone had to mention the obvious again. In terms of the kiss question, I just find it annoying sometimes that people ask questions not because they're truly curious of the subject, rather they just wanted an affirmation/confirmation of what they think the answer is. I thought Jake's initial response of "leading the witness" was very appropriate. Fans have all the right to be passionate or zealous of the movie, but I think it's silly to project what you think the movie or elements of the movie are onto the actors or director. Everyone has their own interpretation, there is no one definitive answer, or at least that would make things incredibly boring. If you see something the way it is then that is your point of view. Asking a question in hopes of the cast agreeing with you just seems somewhat desperate.

I had a lovers quarrel with the world - Robert Frost.

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
THE AERO SCREENING THREAD frm IMDB - part 2
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 04:48:46 pm »

by - starboardlight (Tue Feb 14 2006 10:55:08 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

i didn't interpret his state in the same way you did. there was something fatalistic about how he said it. to me, it felt like the moment Jack and Ennis couldn't be together (whether they knew it or not) Jack's fate was sealed. Annie Proulx had said, she tried so many ways, but in the end Jack had to die. I felt that's what Jake meant. The thing is, in regards to the debate of how Jack died, both Jake and Diana confirmed that neither of them could make up their minds even last night. Diana said that for her, the ambiguity is also part of the pain that eats at Ennis. He gets no closure from knowing. And that is also poignant and real. Jake said that we as a culture want absolute certainly but that's not going to always be possible, and this is a case in point.

by - newyearsday (Tue Feb 14 2006 10:57:24 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

his final words to this question just blew me away. Jake said "Jack died the moment they couldn't be together." I remember hearing the entire audience gasp at this. You could really feel the pain in Jake's voice. It felt honest. I was struck by the fact that he'd never said this before in any interviews prior to this. It didn't feel like a line that he'd rehearsed or have said too often. It felt like he gave the question thought and really felt what he said. God. This just silenced me...made me feel more than any thing else the immediacy of their connection to the movie and characters. Of course these characters are in these actors' souls. And very, very few interviewers are going to get to this kind of depth with them, when it is so often such a superficial, skimming-the-surface atmosphere. Thank god for moments like this. I think Jake probably gets some healing and maybe some needed connection to the world of people who love the film in moments like this. At least I hope he does. But it's rare, sadly. And to the poster above, I don't know really when in the relationship Jake is referring to...it could certainly be after the divorce...because that was a real death for him, it was obvious. But it could also be true that Jake is referring to the very end of the movie, when Jack has seen Ennis refuse to see him in August, and that this is the point where he truly gives up and dies. I would stand by what ever Jake says about this character, whom he embodied and lived so thoroughly that he is like a real person to all of us.

by - dog_lover-1 (Tue Feb 14 2006 11:03:18 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

It really was a terrific night! I was just thrilled to see Jake, Heath, Michelle, and getting Diana Ossana, Gustavo, and the cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto were just amazing. I hadn't realized that Rodrigo had played the Mexican prostitute Jack picks up. Rodrigo and Jake apparently had to take 10 tries to get the scene right as Jake kept cracking up!!! Diana gave some very interesting insights into getting the film made. I also got the feeling that Jake and Heath are quite good friends (did anyone else get that?)They kept cracking each other up and looking at one another and filling in each others sentences. I got a chuckle when they introduced them all, they first brought out Michelle, and then Jake (who took a place right next to Michelle), and then Heath. Jake sort of moved over for Heath to be next to Michelle (what a gentleman!). I forget who moderated the discussion, but it was a very good looking young man who introduced himself as "Senior Editor" at Newsweek Magazine. He got a little choked up introducing all the actors saying that the movie just meant so much to him (saying, "Not only is it nominated for Best Picture of the Year, it IS the best picture of the year!") It really was a love fest for everyone there. They asked at the beginning how many people had seen Brokeback. I couldn't see the hands behind me, but certainly it seemed like every hand in front of me went up as having seen the movie before. The actors spent about 40 minutes answering questions. My one complaint was that the moderator should have repeated the questions asked so everyone could know what the actors were addressing. While you could assume what the question was, sometimes I thought, "Huh? What did they ask?". Still it was a magical night, and for only $9--that for the movie, the panel discussion, AND an incredibly beautiful souvenir program.

by - opinionista (Tue Feb 14 2006 11:10:52 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Tue Feb 14 2006 11:23:29
  his heart did die upon losing any chance of having Ennis for himself. Why else would he want his ashes scattered on Brokeback Mountain?  Good point. But I didn't say the fact that he decides to move on with another man meant he stopped loving Ennis. You're probably right, his heart died upon losing the chance of being with Ennis, but I think that inspite of that Jack came to a point when he decided to love himself a bit more, no matter how much he loved Ennis or how emotionally drawn he was to him. I think Ennis will always be the love of his life even though Jack knew they couldn't be together. But that didn't mean he would give up his own happiness.

by - dog_lover-1 (Tue Feb 14 2006 11:12:37 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Yeah, I hadn't realized Rodrigo, the Cinematographer, was the one playing the Mexican prostitute. Rodrigo mentioned how he thought of the scene as his "big chance", and how nervous he was. He was nervous about the lighting, being outside, etc. etc., and just as he was about to give his line ("...senior?"), Jake comes around the corner and busts out laughing. Jake and Rodrigo exchanged laughs about it, and Jake chimed in about it taking "about 10 takes").

by - marjorie9 (Tue Feb 14 2006 11:20:27 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

btw. i just have to say, despite what you may all think about how he looks in the film, Rodrigo Prieto is a gorgeous man. He looked amazing last night, tall, olive skinned, with soft wavy hair, very classic features. Very sexy when he walked out onto the stage.  Oh my God, I thought the same thing! I leaned over to Maribel when he walked out and said..."(gasp) He is gorgeous!" "I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."

by - opinionista (Tue Feb 14 2006 11:27:49 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Jack's fate was sealed. Annie Proulx had said, she tried so many ways, but in the end Jack had to die. I felt that's what Jake meant  Thank you for the explanation. Now, I understand what Jake said.

by - johntracytb5 (Tue Feb 14 2006 11:29:58 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Tue Feb 14 2006 12:05:47
 re: [Yeah, I hadn't realized Rodrigo, the Cinematographer, was the one playing the Mexican prostitute. Rodrigo mentioned how he thought of the scene as his "big chance", and how nervous he was. He was nervous about the lighting, being outside, etc. etc., and just as he was about to give his line ("...senior?"), Jake comes around the corner and busts out laughing. Jake and Rodrigo exchanged laughs about it, and Jake chimed in about it taking "about 10 takes").] Oh gosh---yes, yes, yes, that was a cute story! (There's SO much to remember from last night and everyone is doing a great job at reporting what they recall of it, thank you)! But what Jake mentioned as a close to this is that the take that's seen in the film (of him walking up to and leaving with Rodrigo) is the only one of around a dozen of them that he didn't ruin by giggling, so that's why it made it! Poor baby---he couldn't even stop giggling right there on the stage, so I can only imagine how hard it was for him to get through the scene during the filming! re: [but--HOW WAS THE CROWD AS A MOVIE AUDIENCE? You say they asked some really dumb questions--but I've read other reports of good questions asked--so I was wondering, did they shut up most of the time, laugh in the right places, were they crying at the end? I know my experience with seeing the film many times is always a little dependent onbthe people I see it with... ] That crowd was wonderful---a dream audience in this day of idiots either talking with each other, to the screen or on their cel phones during films. (Oh yeah---whose cel phone's silent buzzer kept going off during the interview portion, huh?! Come on---'fess up! Funny that those things aren't really "silent")! Almost everyone there had seen the film at least once (with a couple newbies, including my sis), so they were all very respectful and seemed to view the film with the same sort of reverence we'd all expect. Most people giggled when Jake showed surprise at one person mentioning that he'd seen the film ten times. (He'd probably faint if he'd heard that some folks have seen it 20 or 30 times)! The audience certainly showed that they loved what's funny in the film, judging from the laughter, and were as deeply affected by what's sorrowful in it as they probably were on their first viewing. I love it that everyone felt so liberated to the point of cheering when Jack finally tells off that awful father-in-law of his; it's just such a relief and a life-affirming moment, and that seems to be a universal emotion with viewers, especially with last night's audience. Also, I recall that someone had asked how it was that a straight woman could write this script and how she and all the straight men involved could have so perfectly presented the story of these two gay men in such a sensitive, sympathetic and realistic manner. I can't recall her total answer, but Diana mentioned that it shouldn't be too surprising, given that Larry McMurtry had developed or helped to develop such well-rounded female characters in projects such as "Terms Of Endearment" and "Lonesome Dove," which, by inference, should indicate that you don't necessarily have to be gay to understand these characters. (Obviously not, since many members of the film's loyal viewing audience aren't gay either). Jake mentioned also that both of his godparents are gay and he felt that this had helped him in his portrayal of Jack. (And if anyone else remembers more of their responses on this, please fill in)...!

by - stephend01 (Tue Feb 14 2006 11:41:57 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

opinionista  But that didn't mean he would give up his own happiness.  Agreed!

by - lcalee (Tue Feb 14 2006 11:42:18 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Thank you to everyone who attended for posting your observations! I know I am enjoying reading them. If you remember more, please keep posting. :) "The root of all unhappiness is unmet expectation."

by - monimm18 (Tue Feb 14 2006 11:52:48 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

You're probably right, his heart died upon losing the chance of being with Ennis, but I think that inspite of that Jack came to a point when he decided to love himself a bit more, no matter how much he loved Ennis or how emotionally drawn he was to him. I saw his decision to move on with another man as a survival thing. At the point he had reached emotionally, it was either that or giving up on living. No one can uphold the idealism of such love forever, in spite of reality destroying any chance of that love being actualized, and go on as a whole human being. I think Ennis will always be the love of his life even though Jack knew they couldn't be together. But that didn't mean he would give up his own happiness. Dunno... I think Jack already reached the point where he had no happiness to give up anymore. In my opinion, his decision to move on was not an attempt to cling to happiness, more of a quest for some peace, to keep some interest in life. "There ain't never enough time, never enough..."

by - cmr107 (Tue Feb 14 2006 12:11:20 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Bump to find later!  Courtney

by - muscla_1 (Tue Feb 14 2006 12:18:53 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

The person who asked about "the kiss" the second time was our very own Henrypie from IMDB, please don't criticize her too much, because I was actually there (she was sitting right behind me), and what she asked them was what they thought was the subtext of all the questions about the kissing, like *why* did they think people couldn't get past it and want to keep asking about it, and it actually stirred some deep thought and answers on both Jake and Heath's part, but mostly Jake, it was an excellent question actually, if you were up front (we were in the second and third rows, just feet away from the boys) and could hear everything.  Yes, I was behind you guys, and it was difficult to hear the question. I thought she was asking about the SUBTEXT of the kissing itself, rather than the subtext of people continually asking about it. It was kind of confusing; Jake and Heath appeared confused to me about the question.  P.S. I am the person who made the final statement to the boys and Diana, Rodrigo and Gustavo about them not just doing their jobs when they made this film, but that they had given me a gift, and I also specifically spotlighted Gustavo for his score during that as well.  That was one of the highlights of the evening for me, and you could tell that all six of them were moved by it. I didn't get to ask my question, I had two. "Jack, I swear..."

by - lucise (Tue Feb 14 2006 12:27:48 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

johntracytb5 - Thanks so much for your post, and thanks to all the other posters who were at the event! Sounds like it was a blast indeed! Wow! I really enjoyed reading your posts on the event and the questions asked. THANKS!! 'If you sleep through life, you wake up dead.'

by - Shuggy (Tue Feb 14 2006 12:38:18 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Rodrigo, the Cinematographer, was the one playing the Mexican prostitute  So THAT'S why he's not credited. I was looking for him. NICE. "If you can't stand it, you gotta fix it."

by - starboardlight (Tue Feb 14 2006 12:53:27 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Everyone has their own interpretation, there is no one definitive answer, or at least that would make things incredibly boring. If you see something the way it is then that is your point of view. Asking a question in hopes of the cast agreeing with you just  like that question from a guy asking if Diana and the cast ever thought about the people who actually lived through those experiences during that time? It felt like he was looking for approval. I didn't think that herypie was doing that though. i thought she was genuinely curious to know what the actors thought of those types of questions.

by - starboardlight (Tue Feb 14 2006 12:56:32 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Jake's response was a train of thoughts, really. He began talking about growing up in LA and being pretty used to seeing gay people in his life. So when first confronted with the question, he didn't really think much of it. but as time went on and other people projected their fears into the role, the film and as more of these questions show up, he became more award of those subtext. He said something to the effect that it took some growing on his part to understand those subtextes. I thought it was honest and wonderful to hear that from him.

by - zeprules (Tue Feb 14 2006 13:07:43 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

I really can't add much to the wonderful comments already made about last night but I was absolutely blown away by the reaction of the audience when the credits were rolling both at the beginning and the end of the film. There was a lot of love in the audience last night. I don't know if this was mentioned but Heath was asked about what he thought Ennis did with the rest of his life. I can't remember what he said exactly...something like "he lived it," which got a laugh. Then Jake piped in with Ennis meeting Bobby and said it could be "Brokeback Mountain, the sequel." Big laugh. It was a night I won't forget for a long time. Pam

by - iluvmovies2000 (Tue Feb 14 2006 13:12:22 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Wow, such a great thread! Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience as accurately and vividly as you can manage. Interesting to learn that the Mexican prostitute is the cinematographer, and how many takes it took to get it done, lol.  Then Jake piped in with Ennis meeting Bobby and said it could be "Brokeback Mountain, the sequel." Big laugh.  LOL, that's so wrong, but I confess to imagining the same thing while posting in the "Lines you'd never hear in the movie" thread.

by - BannerHill (Tue Feb 14 2006 13:36:25 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Not Exactly When Heath was asked what happens to Ennis. His response was "not much." Heath was relaxed and comfortable, a big relief after Jay Leno. "I suppose they'd appreciate it if his wishes were carried out.....about the ashes I mean."

by - muscla_1 (Tue Feb 14 2006 13:37:22 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

I really can't add much to the wonderful comments already made about last night but I was absolutely blown away by the reaction of the audience when the credits were rolling both at the beginning and the end of the film. There was a lot of love in the audience last night.  There was nearly continuous applause during both the opening and closing credits. It was quite moving. My friend and I went to La Cabana, but I couldn't tell who was a "Brokie," so we just had dinner. :-( I loved Jake's response that Jack died when he realized that he couldn't be with Ennis. It was so heartfelt, particularly coming from Jake, who was very "up" and animated and funny throughout the Q&A. Both actors have amazing depth for being so young (I know they're not young to many on the board, but they're young to me). My question, which I didn't get to ask, would have been to address the other beautiful ambiguity in the story/film...the final line. I would have loved to have gotten Jake's, Diana's and especially Heath's take on it. "Jack, I swear..."

by - johntracytb5 (Tue Feb 14 2006 13:48:48 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Tue Feb 14 2006 14:11:49
 re: [johntracytb5 - Thanks so much for your post, and thanks to all the other posters who were at the event! Sounds like it was a blast indeed! Wow! ] Oh no--thank you for reading all of that! Glad to be of service, honestly. I've read every post in this thread because every comment helped to remind me of one comment or another. I so wanted to sneak in my Handycam and at least record the comments, even if I couldn't get the visuals, but they were really strict about it and those security guys looked serious about grabbing cameras, just as we were told that they would. It sure would have been great to have a record of that event, though. re: [When Heath was asked what happens to Ennis. His response was "not much."] That's exactly right, but I noted that when he said it, he actually *sounded* like Ennis---very soto vocce and mumbling into the microphone---and not as he usually sounds. That was quite funny, especially because he said exactly what I was thinking when the question was asked!!! And I really wish that someone had asked them about the Academy luncheon they'd attended earlier in the day; I sure wanted to hear about it! I also wanted to ask about who or what they'd expected the audience for this film to be as they were making it, but I didn't get called on.

by - BannerHill (Tue Feb 14 2006 13:56:31 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

We were the rowdy table of ten on the patio...very sorry we didn't connect "I suppose they'd appreciate it if his wishes were carried out.....about the ashes I mean."

by - BannerHill (Tue Feb 14 2006 13:59:23 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Ellemmenno is relaxing at the beach here in Santa Monica after last night's activities. She said to tell everyone that she will be posting later tonight.
"I suppose they'd appreciate it if his wishes were carried out.....about the ashes I mean."

by - mlewisusc (Tue Feb 14 2006 14:50:42 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Jake made another comment that interested me very much. He pointed out that although making the film was an emotional experience AND he had to carry around for three months the emotion of his character, thus making watching parts of the film difficult for him, he also mentioned the obvious point that for he, Heath, and Michelle there is no objectivity regarding the emotional impact of the film on an audience because they were involved in the creative process. However, he looked at Gustavo and said that for him (Jake), listening to the soundtrack brings him that emotional response as a listener, or an audience member, that he can't get from watching the film - I took it as his tribute to Gustavo's score, and his illumination of the actors' difficulty in putting themselves in our shoes. Really good statement by him, IMO. ". . . the single moment of artless, charmed happiness. . ."

by - jmmgallagher (Tue Feb 14 2006 15:01:15 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Lovely comment, mlewisusc--I'm so sorry I missed this special evening, but with all of these terrific posts, well-- Thanks so much!

by - opinionista (Tue Feb 14 2006 15:40:59 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Any chance anybody filmed the event or caught it on audio tape?  Someone in this board said cameras weren't allowed.

johntracytb5--that' s the sort of stuff i love to hear!    

by - Julie01 (Tue Feb 14 2006 15:46:42 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

In the 15 times I've seen It, nobody ever cheered when Jack tells his father-in-law off! The movie must have been nearely as much fun as the Q and A. Jake and his giggles: Didn't he KNOW Prieto was playing the prostitute? Gee, maybe they're good frineds, or something. Anyway, 1 out of 12 or 15 ain't bad. "Jake showed surprise" when someone said he/she'd seen it ten times. I wonder if over twenty would warrent a look of..concern... "You come back and see us again"--Jack's mother "Ennis dies of lung cancer in his early 60s. Jack comes for him at the end. They are together, forever, on Brokeback mountain, and it's a sweet life. (What can I say? I'm a romantic.)+--JLScheib

by - Jassy (Tue Feb 14 2006 15:54:14 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

"Another great moment was when the two actors were talking about Ang Lee's style. As mentioned previously, they talked about his love of silence, and how they got a lot of preparation before shooting, but when they arrived, Ang gave them little to no direction. Jake then talked about how Ang's silence can be misinterpreted as "sensitive," but then Heath talked about the "violence with the silence," and Jake said something about their being a sword to Ang's silence." What did Heath mean by "violence with the silence"? or Jake's "being a sword to Ang's silence"? Thanks for all the reports. I didn't get a ticket because I decided too late. Knowing Ang Lee wasn't there makes me feel better since he would have been the reason I wanted to attend.

Re: johntracytb5--that' s the sort of stuff i love to hear!    

by - jmmgallagher (Tue Feb 14 2006 16:06:11 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Audiences have varied, but I've been witness to some pretty appreciatively loud and raucus reactions to the Jack'n'L.D. Newsome Thanksgiving scene over the last two and a half months-- (uhm--if I had been at the Santa Monica Q + A and had volunteered the number of times I'VE seen the movie, security would probably moved in with tasers drawn! But really, I'm harmless!)

by - starboardlight (Tue Feb 14 2006 17:02:08 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Me too. My friend has poor circulation and gets cold easily, so we ate inside.  there were several heat lamp where we were. i don't think any of us thought it was cold. we were just out there talking and laughing. wish you would have connected with us.

by - starboardlight (Tue Feb 14 2006 17:04:10 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

yep, there was a bit announcement threatening that undercover security would confiscate our phone or camera. I think we all took it pretty seriously, when the panelist came out and there were 6-8 guys in black suits, very serious Secret Service looking.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 04:50:46 pm by reannawrites »

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
THE AERO SCREENING THREAD frm IMDB - part 3
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 04:55:50 pm »

by - Buddy-51 (Tue Feb 14 2006 17:17:29 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Thanks for the info. I wasn't really expecting people to record it illegally, but thought there might have been an official photographer there for the occasion. I don't know how these things work.

Re: Great screening tonight at the Aero! - Mentioned in the Defamer     

by - lcalee (Tue Feb 14 2006 17:26:56 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

I don't know what "The Defamer" is, but the screening was mentioned. Seems kind of tongue in cheek: http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/brokeback-mountain/defamer-screening-report-brokeback-mountain-q-a-154842.php "The root of all unhappiness is unmet expectation."

by - the_Poppins (Tue Feb 14 2006 17:30:30 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Hey thanks for posting, guys. That sounded like a lot of fun. Gee I hope Jake knows another song.  I don't know why though, I used to always get ready to go out to "Night Fever". It was my own sad little ritual. Were you guys not allowed tape recorders and stuff? I skimmed everything so maybe you already answered that. Voting for Jake Gyllenhaal speeds up your metabolism  

by - BannerHill (Tue Feb 14 2006 17:42:34 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Tape recorders were allowed but no cameras. Seems that not one of us had one though. "I suppose they'd appreciate it if his wishes were carried out.....about the ashes I mean."

by - the_Poppins (Tue Feb 14 2006 17:50:33 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Someone probably brought one and will have the whole thing, or at least a trascript, online soon enough.  Voting for Jake Gyllenhaal speeds up your metabolism  

Totally Worth the Drive and $10!!!     

by - RingerFanatic (Tue Feb 14 2006 17:54:39 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Tue Feb 14 2006 18:09:33
 I was SO jazzed to see them pass out those beautiful BBM booklets. The pictures are amazing. Definitely a keepsake. First off, not to sound like a teenybopper..but man, Jake & Heath are even MORE gorgeous in person! The three actors came onstage looking like they just rolled out of bed, but very sexy looking! Particularly Jake whose hair was all over and looked like he was wearing a hoodie and baggy pants. Heath looked hot in his clean white shirt and mangy beard. I liked their look that night. It was very informal, but they both looked extremely comfortable and super HOT!!! I was a little taken aback when Michelle came onstage. I know the camera adds pounds, but in person she looked almost anorexic! It could be the leggings she wore, but she looked extremely thin. All three looked very tired. Seriously as if they just came straight from bed. But they all looked happy to be there. The first question went to Diana who spoke at length about the whole process of how the project started. I couldn't stop looking at Jake & Heath. They were both so cute. Jake kept whispering to Heath and smiling. Heath just nodded his head, but tried to keep quiet as Diana spoke for what seemed like 10 minutes. It was funny cuz Jake kept talking to Heath and Heath seemed like he was trying to get Jake to pay attention. They looked like two school boys at a lecture trying to pay attention. Next question went to Gustavo about how he came up with the music. Someone already posted about his response. Then Rodrigo was asked about the cinematography. The moderatory then asked to talk about his cameo and he replied, "I was the Mexican". In addition to what the other posters already wrote about this, Jake spoke up and said the reason he laughed was because the tracking was actually much longer than what's on film. He said he had to walk through the streets of Mexico, through the marketplace, around the corner...and apparently it was much longer so when he finally reaches Rodrigo he just laughed. And might I add that when Jake laughs with all his teeth showing and throwing his head back...he is just too cute for words! He IS Jack Twist. Jake also coughed throughout the Q&A and whispered to Heath while other people spoke. Michelle spoke once when asked about why Alma stayed with Ennis as long as she did. She is extremely soft-spoken, but she got a loud applause when the moderator commented that she did a great job. I also thought it was funny when someone asked, "what do you think happened to Ennis after the movie?" Heath replied "Not much" (laughter) and Jake followed with "He meets Jack's son". The audience's reaction was funny cuz it was a mixture of laughs and "ughs!" LOL. I didn't quite get the "kissing subtext" question either, but I think she was referring to the Oprah segment and asking why people are so interested to ask how it was kissing each other. Jake has a nice long comment about he doesn't know why people are interested. He said "is it because it's two straight guys? I don't know the answer". He went on to say that people get too involved with the concept and it spreads into other areas like calling into questions about peoples' sexual orientation (meaning his and Heath's and other actors who play gay characters)and so forth. He basically threw it back to the questioner and asked "what IS the subtext? Why do you want to know?" Or something to that effect. When asked about Ang's direction, Heath drank from his water bottle and said, "I need water to answer this one". (laughter) All three actors laughed about how Ang doesn't say anything to them. Heath said the same stuff he said on Leno about how Ang directs. When he started to lose his thoughts, Jake saved him and picked up from where he left off. Jake said people think Ang is quiet, sensitive and gentle (which he is), but at the same time he can also be ...and he and Heath look at each other and both say "violent!" Didn't quite know what that meant, but Jake continued to say that Ang is sharp as a sword (paraphrasing). I think they meant that Ang is not a quiet pushover. The man knows what he wants and knows how to get it. Brilliant. I really wish the man was there last night. I also thought it was great hearing Jake say that as an actor involved with the movie, since he was not involved with the musical score he is always moved when watching the ending with the music playing. I also loved the comment about Jack dying when they couldn't be together. Which is connected to the next question of "How did Jack really die". Jake's answer was great! First he said after a small pause, "I'm still here!" (laughter). I'm not sure if the person asking mistakenly said Jake or Jack. He said everyone always needs a solid answer. He said rationaliztion is a cancer. It's more about revelation. I couldn't agree more. Diana continued this thought and said that not knowing something...not having a concrete answer is part of Ennis' tragedy. She said particularly when a loved one dies and there's no real answer...it eats at you and that's the tragic part of the story. I agree. People always want the definitive answer to everything. I think that open ended question is more thought provoking. After Jake went on for awhile about how it's better not having a definite answer...Heath says to him in a deadpan voice, "So...how did he die?" (laughter!) Someone then asked if the actors had any special techniques to separate filming these sad characters and not taking them home with them. Heath said there's no technique, but that it's hard not to take some of that home. But he said it's like having a big knot in the back of your neck and you just have to release it...he went on about this for sometime and I noticed that as he was talking, Jake had his head in his hand as if he had a huge migraine or something. Maybe he was experiencing one of those knots Heath was talking about. LOL. Poor baby. I loved one audience member who thanked the entire panel for making the movie and how this movie really captured his life and thousands of other men as well who grew up like Jack & Ennis. At one point he said something like "I thank you two crazy straight boys". I thought that was so funny, yet cute. They seemed genuinely touched. At the beginning, the moderator said something about Jake playing Jack who is the chattier of the two characters. Jake looked like "who me?" I'm telling you. I was never a huge Jake fan...but after tonight I want me some Jake!!! The boy is too adorable for his own good. It really is amazing how these young actors were able to portray such depth and maturity on film. They really look young in person. It's an attribute to their stellar acting abilities to be able to pull it off. I do agree with other posters that the "final" question was somewhat lame. The guy had his hand up, but when the moderator chose him, he looked shocked and scared! He spoke really quiet and asked whether Heath was in the background of the Mexico scene since he's such a chameleon. Heath just said "uh-no". LOL. Even the moderator thought that was a sucky question to end on, so he chose another "final" question. All in all it was a priceless evening!! Oh, and the screen was HUGE! When I first got there, the screen was this small square. I thought, WTF?!? I was really disappointed. But then then when the movie started the curtains opened up and it was a ginormous screen!! The screen was so clear and the sound was awesome. I could even see some of the makeup around Ennis' eyes towards the end...it was that clear. The credits got loud rounds of applause. Oh, and the one bad thing was that they showed some ads in the beginning. Weird. And this one totally goofy trailer for an old movie. Man, I laughed so hard. It was so cheesy and overdramatic, but it was one of those old time movies where the voiceover announcer is totally melodramatic. When they announced each actor on stage I wanted to stand and give them an ovation, but the audience remained seated. There were about 4-5 people who did stand up for them, but it's too bad it didn't catch on. Overall a FANTASTIC evening!!

by - starboardlight (Tue Feb 14 2006 18:27:59 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

yeah, they're totally trying to be "funny" not even bothering with fact checking and taking what has been said out of context. if only they got their "funny" successfully though.

Re: Great screening tonight at the Aero! - Mentioned in the Defamer     

by - surf501 (Tue Feb 14 2006 18:53:17 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Tue Feb 14 2006 18:54:06
 LOL I made one of the defamers "favorite audience comments"!!! LOL. The comment that was mine that he liked was 'This movie does something for me that Will and Grace could never do.” only those weren't my exact words, all I said was, "you don't get this on Will & Grace", and actually, after I said, it, I wished I hadn't and was hoping that everyone had forgetten that since the main part of my comments about how I felt that they had given me a gift is what everyone seemed to like. "You know it could be like this, just like this, always" Black Hat White Hat

by - robins-1 (Tue Feb 14 2006 19:21:13 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Thank you to all who posted about the event. I was hoping to treat myself for Valentine's and see the movie for the 3rd time tonight, but it didn't work out. Reading your reports from the screening was a nice fill in. Sometimes, I think, that feeling that Heath and Jake are good guys, or nice guys, adds to the beautiful mystic of this movie and their performances. Now I wish them some rest, along with Michelle, Anne and Ang.

by - kirkmusic (Tue Feb 14 2006 19:42:18 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Tue Feb 14 2006 19:44:14
 The sound was AWESOME!!! Ennis could be easily understood. Imagine! I was the guy standing outside with the 3 signs saying "One ticket..." "Please" "I drove from San Francisco" I think nearly everyone who showed up without tickets got them eventually. Thanks again, Zach! My main reason for going was Gustavo. I'd written a song based on a piece of his score and I wanted to get a copy to him and didn't know how else to reach him. And I did. I asked if he could give it a listen and get back with his opinion of it. He smiled and shook my hand but really, I'm not expecting to hear from him. Hope to get it on the album I'm working on. But enough about me. Further comment on Jake's response to "Why do people keep asking about the kissing scenes?" The implication was that what people wanted to know is if the two of them had felt any guy on guy love in the process of those scenes. And Jake's thought regarding those asking such questions was "What are you feeling watching it?" I interpreted that as maybe people (meaning straight people) are surprized by how much they feel for these two men, like if they're feeling so much it must be because Heath and Jake are maybe not acting, at least somewhat. Which is silly. I've gotta say though, I would so date Jake. I don't watch TV and I don't follow the fan press so I'd never seen any interview footage of him and damn! what a smart, fun, engaging personality behing those eyes and that smile! Gustavo mentioned how he'd always been interested in the use of silence in music and how he was really able to run with that with this score. You can totally hear how a melodic phrase will end and there will be so... much... space... until the next one comes in. The interviewer (a regular writer for Newsweek) called it the loneliest score he'd ever heard.

by - kirkmusic (Tue Feb 14 2006 19:58:20 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

If you take all of this in a metaphysical sense, which I think is what Jake intended with his comment, Jack may have made a conscious decision to try and move on, but when your prevailing feeling is that your chances for true happiness are over and that your life sucks, the universe will sometimes step up and put you out of your misery. People have died from broken hearts. Jack just did it more suddenly than others.

Re: Totally Worth the Drive and $10!!!     

by - newyearsday (Tue Feb 14 2006 19:59:35 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

To Ringer, Thank you so much for all that you added to this amazing recounting of last night. I love how you captured both the humourous things (Heath's deadpaning, Jake's saying "I'm still here!" etc) and the details like how Jake might have not felt well (coughing and holding his head), and how, YES, he's too adorable for words (especially in person! I'm so jealous!. This thread is instantly one of my favorites. For me--and for many others I would bet--it's like we're getting a long drink of precious water after weeks of a drop here and a drop there (meaning NONE of the interviews I've seen so far in print or on TV come close to the depth and yet relaxedness that I sense they were feeling and expressing last night, from reading everyone's descriptions.) To the person way back in the thread who didn't get the thing about the sword comment, I think they meant that Ang's silence can be like a sword, cutting through any falseness, or that it can be as powerful and swift as a sword. Like how some people speak of silence being deafening at times. But I think that Ringer also explained above by saying Jake was talking about how Ang can be as sharp as a sword. Like, he doesn't have to say anything and you feel the intensity and power of his focus/direction through the minimalism of his words. Something like that. And lastly, Ringer, is your press book set with the binding on the short side, with all these AMAZING closeups from the 2 tent scenes, the accidental bloody nose, Jack crying in the truck, etc? If so, I got one too (several actually) at the HRC event I was at this weekend and I was flipping out at how incredible it is. I picked up the extras that were left over in the ballroom and I think I'll give some to friends and then auction the others on ebay and give the proceeds to the Matthew Shepard fund or something like that. I want people to have them, and I want the money to go to something good like that.

by - monimm18 (Tue Feb 14 2006 20:05:28 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Thank you, kirkmusic, that's exactly what I meant. "There ain't never enough time, never enough..."

by - stitchbuffymoulinfan (Tue Feb 14 2006 20:13:16 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

*bump* I am beyond envious of all of you who attended. To hear that this movie emotionally and strongly affects Jake Gyllenhaal touches me beyond words. www.jlodown.com www.petitionspot.com/petitions/jlodown

by - Rontrigger (Tue Feb 14 2006 20:37:46 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

"Rest" may not be a bad idea. The "Becksmith" team of gossip columnists interviewed Jake at the Oscar nominees' luncheon and reported that he had a nasty cold. His coughing throughout the Q & A seems to confirm that. But he still made it to both events--what a trouper! I become a bigger fan of his all the time--and Heath has gone up even higher in my estimation than he already was, with the revelation from Diana (in The Advocate) that he had the idea for Ennis reversing the shirts in the final scene. Wonder if Jake is putting up Heath and Michelle while they're out here? Imagine the conversations around Jake's house lately, if so. "You can't have Ennis without Jack."--Annie Proulx

by - maribel-3 (Tue Feb 14 2006 20:45:25 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Thanks, when I was saying it, I really even wasn't aware of how people were reacting to what I was saying, I was just concentrating on talking to all of them, but at our post screening gethering at the restaurant, maribel (I think that is how you spell her name - she posts around here) and the friend that she was with her told me that they were looking at Jake when I said what I did and that he was really touched by it, he had this look on his face. I remember him looking at me and I do remember him sort of smiling but my head was spinning so I don't know and I wondered what Heath thought because I just remember him having a serious expression but he tends to look like that alot. Gustavo had a big smiile on his face and said "thank you".  Jake AND Heath looked sincerely moved and humbled - Jake made a sort of hand gesture to his chest and Heath kind of looked down. It was as if despite all the compliments they have received, it was the first time it was put in those words, as "a gift." I thought Jake's quote about when he thought Jack died was: "He died when they couldn't be together." I guess it doesn't matter. I feel so lucky to have been a part of this. (Hello to all those at La Cabana - it was great meeting you all!)

by - diamond_inrough (Tue Feb 14 2006 20:50:12 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Tue Feb 14 2006 20:53:50
 opinionista I couldn't disagree more. I don't think it makes him sound like a quitter to say he died the moment they couldn't be together. Personally what I got from what he said is that Jack was dying all along in their relationship (figuratively not literally). Every time that Ennis turned him down, he broke a little more inside. I think the moment that shows his main "death" so to speak is when he goes to see Ennis after hearing of the divorce. This is the last time we really see that happy, excited spark in Jack's character. After that scene, he seems broken and even dead inside. Then when Ennis turns him down again in the scene where they are by the river (and Ennis is asking if people can tell just by looking), that's his final "death". Because after that, during their big fight by the lake, he answers "I did once" when Ennis asks if he had a better idea. He's given up on the idea that would've meant the most to him. Jack wasn't a quitter but he couldn't continue to be hurt like this. Having the shirts does show his love and Jake isn't saying that Jack stopped loving Ennis the moment they couldn't be together. He says he died the moment they couldn't be together. Those are two different statements. His relationship with the rancher isn't him not loving Ennis either, it's him trying to move on but not succeeding since he's still seeing Ennis in that joint scene and I have a feeling he wouldn't have been able to stay away from him in November either.

by - anml-lvr (Tue Feb 14 2006 20:52:48 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Oh yeah!!! Jake said, the closest he could get to feeling what we feel was when he listend to the film's score. Those were not his exact words but you get the idea.

by - starboardlight (Tue Feb 14 2006 20:58:06 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

well the thing is, he and Heath lived those emotions for 3-4 months. they don't get to experience the film the way we do, but they know what we're feeling. they did put their soul up there for us to see after all.

by - Puente27S (Tue Feb 14 2006 21:01:17 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

I will delurk for a moment and talk about the one sour note about the evening. After it was over, me and my newfound friend had to leave through the exits near the front of the theater. We ended up at the alley. What I saw was so distressing. Michelle and Heath were trying to leave. Michelle was already in the front seat and Heath was trying to walk around the back to the driver's seat. There was this pack of people yelling out, snapping pictures and shoving all these things into their faces. They were practically on top of Heath, he looked so uncomfortable. Someone was talking to Michelle with the door open and people were reaching over the door with posters, waving them in her face. As they started to drive off these hyenas started running with the car, taking more pictures. What I saw really left a sour taste. It was a such a nice and neat evening. Where else could this happen and us regular folks get to take part in the whole Academy Award campaign season. I was so glad that the guy from San Francisco made it in. They arranged for voters to be at the screening so having people gushing was probably a good thing, it shows the passion and importance this movie has. I would have loved Ang Lee to have been there. I would have loved to here more detailed type questions. As a showcase, this was wonderful. I hope it made as good an impression on them as it did me. If this event had been set up with the idea of people getting autographs that would have been cool. But it wasn't, and these people looked so tired. If what happened after happens at all their events it is a wonder they looked as good as they did. It shows how much the cast and crew believe in this movie to go through this. They've given us something special and some keep trying to take more. Still it was totally worth getting home so late and being tired all day at work.

Re: johntracytb5--that' s the sort of stuff i love to hear!     

by - johntracytb5 (Tue Feb 14 2006 21:32:57 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

re: [In the 15 times I've seen It, nobody ever cheered when Jack tells his father-in-law off! The movie must have been nearely as much fun as the Q and A. ] Oh wow--you're kidding! I guess some audiences don't feel open enough to do that. But the first time I saw the film, there were only maybe 17 of us in the whole place, almost all old ladies (one with her husband) and two or three middle-aged women like me. When Jack cussed that ol' coot out, every one of those folks screamed, clapped and cheered, just like last night! I wasn't sure what was going to happen when I looked around the theater on that first time; I felt sure that those little old folks hadn't a clue what they were getting into. I expected them to be uncomfortable or to get up and leave, but they couldn't have been more supportive of the film or more pleased with it. Wonders never cease! re: [(uhm--if I had been at the Santa Monica Q + A and had volunteered the number of times I'VE seen the movie, security would probably moved in with tasers drawn! But really, I'm harmless!)] Actually, we were asked prior to the beginning of the film how many of us had seen it multiple times and pretty much every hand went up. The host then said that there would be counseling made available to all of us at a given time!!! (And no, the cast weren't there then, btw; they weren't brought in until right before the credits rolled). That's why Jake was so shocked to hear about the multiple viewings of one fan. One guy I met in line said he's already seen it 20 times and some people who post here have him beaten. I wonder what Jake would say about THAT?! As for Heath and Michelle looking tired---yeah, they were exhausted! I just watched Heath on Ellen De Generes' show yesterday and, beyond attending the Oscar luncheon yesterday, he talked about how tired they are from little Matilde waking them up every two hours. A three month old baby will wear you out! I can understand why Michelle was so subdued; I don't know how she was even still awake after the day she'd had.

by - anml-lvr (Tue Feb 14 2006 21:45:33 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

If ya'all get together again...let us know!!!!

by - Ellemeno (Wed Feb 15 2006 01:13:43 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

That's very too bad about what happened to Heath and Michelle as they tried to drive away. I wonder why the serious-looking security guys from inside weren't there.

by - reannawrites (Wed Feb 15 2006 08:52:05 )            

UPDATED Wed Feb 15 2006 09:07:03
 I started crying the minute i read Jake's comment about Jack dying when they couldn't be together...its unbelievably touching. Thanks guys, I wish i could have been there but I'm really happy that all of you got to go.

by - BannerHill (Wed Feb 15 2006 09:15:23 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

I am sorry that I was not looking at Heath and Jake when Surf was making that statement. I would have liked to see their reaction. I was busy listening to surf. It was wierd to be so close to the guys. I was so close I could see a valet parking ticket stub in Heath's shirt pocket. You know how there is an outline of a car to show prior damage? It suddenly didn't feel appropriate to sit and stare and stare and stare. I felt like it was quite an intimate evening. "I suppose they'd appreciate it if his wishes were carried out.....about the ashes I mean."

by - wang_jude (Wed Feb 15 2006 09:21:24 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Awesome! Everyone who posted about them attending - THANK YOU! Will there be a transcript? Pictures.. Guess not, since pictures weren't allowed, right? So sad.. Thank you again! Hope to read more. "..it would be a sweet life.." - [J. Twist - BBM]

by - RingerFanatic (Wed Feb 15 2006 10:13:28 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Hi newyears! Yes, the booklet that they passed out at the Aero screening is the same one you got at HRC. I so wanted to take extra ones, but after the screening they weren't there anymore. I didn't want to ask the person handing them out in the beginning because I felt they wouldn't have. I should have tried. Oh well. I'm just glad I got mine! Seems like there were a lot of press type people around and I felt too intimidated to ask.

by - johntracytb5 (Wed Feb 15 2006 10:29:55 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Wed Feb 15 2006 10:30:49
 re: [I so wanted to take extra ones, but after the screening they weren't there anymore. I didn't want to ask the person handing them out in the beginning because I felt they wouldn't have. I should have tried. Oh well. I'm just glad I got mine! Seems like there were a lot of press type people around and I felt too intimidated to ask.] My sis and I were in the member's line, so we went in pretty early, and because of that I overheard one of the ladies who was taking tickets tell the other one something like "Make sure to only give them one each; no extra books." They looked to have counted out just enough for the number of people attending the screening. Besides, I'm sure the studio knows that these things are being sold for a lot of money on eBay and they don't want to contribute any more to that if they can help it.

by - dog_lover-1 (Wed Feb 15 2006 11:13:13 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

They were adament that no cameras, pictures, cell phones with cameras, etc. be used. "Absolutely no photography". They had several body guards (none of whom cracked a smile the entire night!) scanning the audience. I did see one "bouncer" approach someone getting ready to bounce someone who was only turning off their cell phone...when the guy realized this he backed away.

by - dog_lover-1 (Wed Feb 15 2006 11:15:29 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

I suspect that since the Newsweek editor moderated, that it will make a "piece" in an upcoming Newsweek magazine?

by - agent-of-evolution (Wed Feb 15 2006 11:48:45 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned an interesting bit of trivia about the location of this screening. The Aero theater in Santa Monica was featured in the movie Donnie Darko that Jake starred in back in 2001.

by - jmmgallagher (Wed Feb 15 2006 11:51:02 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Agent-of-evolution, that REALLY sets the scene! Thanks!
"Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
THE AERO SCREENING THREAD frm IMDB - part 4
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 04:59:40 pm »

by - maribel-3 (Wed Feb 15 2006 11:53:11 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Wed Feb 15 2006 11:54:25
 some fans took photos of jake outside of the aero and he looks miserable. as much as i would have liked a photo or an autograph i don't think i could've waited. i'll wait for my chance. :)
http://www.iheartjakemedia.com/categories.php?cat_id=562&sessionid=df27058ca01f5bfb2ef1ae30afca5ee5

by - bhebbe (Wed Feb 15 2006 14:20:58 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

It is probably here somewhere on this thread, but I can't find it. I wanted to make sure it was included in all of your detailed accounts. Jake spoke about the picture being a movie the audience participates in or contributes to. He also recounted Ang Lee saying to the actors something on the lines of this -- when *YOU* (an actor in BBM) are not speaking, *THATS* when the audience is working and thinking. This sums up everything which BBM means to me. Thanks Jake!

by - monimm18 (Wed Feb 15 2006 17:38:48 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Jake spoke about the picture being a movie the audience participates in or contributes to. He also recounted Ang Lee saying to the actors something on the lines of this -- when *YOU* (an actor in BBM) are not speaking, *THATS* when the audience is working and thinking. WOW... He practically summed up what great directing, great acting and a great film are about. God, I love these people. "There ain't never enough time, never enough..."

by - muscla_1 (Wed Feb 15 2006 17:46:52 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

I think what he meant was that people mistake Ang's silence for sensitivity, that he's just a sweet old guy. In fact, he's totally in control, knows what he wants, and does anything to get it. The directors that I've known have all been like that. Ang uses silence agressively, not passively. Wonder if Jake's father is like that? Steven Gyllenhaal has had a long, distinguished career as a director. "Jack, I swear..."

by - muscla_1 (Wed Feb 15 2006 17:55:02 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Heath HATES paparazzi. It's one of the reasons why he lives in and loves Brooklyn...people leave him alone. "Jack, I swear..."

by - marjorie9 (Wed Feb 15 2006 17:56:26 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

some fans took photos of jake outside of the aero and he looks miserable. as much as i would have liked a photo or an autograph i don't think i could've waited. i'll wait for my chance. :)  Hey Maribel, I think I recognize that hand with the sharpie. He was standing right by us when they all got up to exit the theater. He had his sharpie ready and waiting for an autograph. I guess he got one. There was something about that look of determination he had. Slightly desperate, slightly psychotic...hmmm... "I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."

by - marjorie9 (Wed Feb 15 2006 18:01:51 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

his final words to this question just blew me away. Jake said "Jack died the moment they couldn't be together." I remember hearing the entire audience gasp at this.  Oh God I know. That was so perfect. There couldn't have been any answer better then that. I wish there was screening part 2. So I could relive the whole thing. "I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."

by - marjorie9 (Wed Feb 15 2006 18:20:35 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

I was the guy standing outside with the 3 signs saying "One ticket..." "Please" "I drove from San Francisco" I think nearly everyone who showed up without tickets got them eventually. Thanks again, Zach!  Dude, maribel3 and I were so happy for you when we found out you got a ticket. We tried to find you so you could jump in the front of the line with us since you were there first. Where did you end up sitting? "I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."

by - newyearsday (Wed Feb 15 2006 18:34:06 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Yeah! I posted that on another thread about the evening before it happened....I just saw DD about two weeks ago (AND LOVED IT!!!) so I was psyched to see that. Especially since it only opened again last year after being closed a while.

by - starboardlight (Wed Feb 15 2006 19:26:32 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

hey marjorie, maribel, glad we got to meet at La Cabaña. had a lot of fun talking to you ladies. speaking of desperate and psychotic. there were these two people as we were leaving getting overly excited about missing the chance to grab Heath's empty water bottle. The guy ranted about "you could have just bent over and picked it up" from the first row all the way outside. I could not stop laughing. At first I thought he was just being funny, but then I realize he's just not quite right in the head. I'm glad there were securities there for the actors' sake.

by - johntracytb5 (Wed Feb 15 2006 20:35:49 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

re: [I'm surprised that no one has mentioned an interesting bit of trivia about the location of this screening. The Aero theater in Santa Monica was featured in the movie Donnie Darko that Jake starred in back in 2001.] It was mentioned several times in the threads which lead up to this one. Nice nod that there was a handbill for "Donnie Darko" hanging just behind the front desk for all to see as they entered the theater...

by - maribel-3 (Wed Feb 15 2006 20:46:32 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

hey marjorie, maribel, glad we got to meet at La Cabaña. had a lot of fun talking to you ladies.  It was nice meeting you too! Next up - the BAFTAS!

by - maribel-3 (Wed Feb 15 2006 20:48:23 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

hey marjorie, maribel, glad we got to meet at La Cabaña. had a lot of fun talking to you ladies.  It was nice meeting you too! I soooo wanted to take a photo but I was borrowing the camera I had with me and didn't want it confiscated. That security was scary looking.

by - BannerHill (Wed Feb 15 2006 20:57:01 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Hello Ladies. I am so glad you joined us at the big table. Should we plan a big screening for the academy awards? That would be fun. Brokeback fans only. We could go crazy while they win award after award after award....... "I suppose they'd appreciate it if his wishes were carried out.....about the ashes I mean."

by - kirkmusic (Thu Feb 16 2006 00:14:43 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Thanks for the kind thoughts M9. I was the first of the non ticketed hopefuls to be offered a seat so I was quite relieved. We were only about 6 rows back toward the center. The guy who got me in didn't get his tickets before the printing machine broke down, so you guys got seated before we did. At least I think you did. Were you and M3 the two young ladies who got there around 2:30? And if not who were you?

by - yaadpyar (Thu Feb 16 2006 12:46:41 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Just to repeat what everyone has already said, one more time, thanks so much to everyone attending for their comments, insights, memories, etc. This adds a lot of depth to my own experience of the movie. I wish a similar event could be organized in other places, or on some special Inside the Actor's Studio edition (so we all could see it!). I'm going to e-mail James Lipton and suggest this as a theme for a show...maybe an Oscar special where they interview the casts of the Oscar nominated movies. Thanks again. "You sure have a way with people." "Well, they're my species!"

by - maribel-3 (Thu Feb 16 2006 12:55:13 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Were you and M3 the two young ladies who got there around 2:30? And if not who were you?  That was us alright. We wanted to check out the parking and line situation but when we saw it was pretty mellow we went and got ourselves lunch. I'm realllllly glad you got in.

by - marjorie9 (Thu Feb 16 2006 17:56:46 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

hey marjorie, maribel, glad we got to meet at La Cabaña. had a lot of fun talking to you ladies.  Word. Too bad we had to skip out kind of early. We had a bit of a drive ahead of us though. "I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."

by - marjorie9 (Thu Feb 16 2006 18:16:45 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

And if not who were you?  I don't know... Just kidding, Maribel already answered the question, I just wanted to post my two cents. "I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."

by - johntracytb5 (Thu Feb 16 2006 21:56:16 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

re: [I'm going to e-mail James Lipton and suggest this as a theme for a show...maybe an Oscar special where they interview the casts of the Oscar nominated movies.] I love love LOVE that idea!!! That's a great show and Lipton really could get five shows out of interviewing actors related to each of the Best Picture nominees...but I'd settle for one on BBM above the others. They've also covered the Oscar race on BBC America's show "Talking Movies" (including a piece detailing two opposing reviewers of BBM). I'm sure they'll do a BAFTA wrap-up next week as well.

by - opinionista (Fri Feb 17 2006 07:42:32 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

diamond_inrough You couldn't be more right. I hadn't think of that. I mean I noticed Jack, as the years go by, changes and becomes sad and even bitter. But until I read what you wrote above, I didn't realized it happens when he hears about Ennis divorce and drives all the way to Wyoming just to be rejected by Ennis. It's true Jack dies from that moment on, it's the only time we see him cry. So I take it back, I take back what I said about not agreeing with Jake Gyllenhaal, but the way it was explained made me think otherwise. Thanks!

by - kelda_shelton (Sun Feb 26 2006 11:46:37 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

just found this thread... wow. Just had to bumb. I love Jake saying he dies when he knew he couldn't be with Ennis. Heartbreaking. This film is just so great, on so many levels.
girls don't fall in love with fun www.spreadshirt.com/shop.php?sid=25107

by - BannerHill (Sun Feb 26 2006 11:57:10 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

UPDATED Sun Feb 26 2006 11:59:45
 What a phenomenal evening. We were so close to Heath and Jake it was (almost) uncomfortable. They were sitting there looking at us and we were trying not to stare at them. I loved it when Dianna Ossana said that Ang Lee says that when the movie is quiet he knows that the audience is working. I am going today for my ninth. I haven't seen it since the night at the Aero two weeks ago. "I suppose they'd appreciate it if his wishes were carried out.....about the ashes I mean."

by - milena-covic (Sun Feb 26 2006 12:18:47 )    Ignore this User | Report Abuse   

Well, BannerHill, ENJOY... I am just back from my 4th and again loved every minute of it. I am so jealous of you people who can get to screenings where the actors/director/script writers are there for your questions. I live in France, and don't think we are ever going to get this!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 05:45:05 pm by reannawrites »

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: THE AERO SCREENING THREAD frm IMDB - part 1
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 06:52:03 pm »
Thanks reanna! I was looking for it to save it and couldn't find it.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline RingerFanatic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 07:28:50 pm »
Reanna, you're a doll!! I'm so glad you saved this. I was so sad when I saw the posts were gone. Good job  ;D

Offline reannawrites

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 08:28:18 pm »
Always a pleasure darlin!  ;D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:47:51 pm »
I had wanted so bad to be there...

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 09:43:31 pm »
Hunh, thanks for finding this, Eric.  Rereading this, I see that Kirk was there too.  Wish we could have connected up with him then.  Had to wait til the Castro adventure YOU organized to do that. 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 07:48:47 pm »
Is it a coincidence that the Pilgrims of the Aero reappear at the very cusp of the Alberta Pilgrimage?  I think not.  They are giving their blessing to the Great Clambering that is to come.

~The High Priestess
Ich bin ein Brokie...