Author Topic: Gustavo's Music for Brokeback Mountain same as on 21 Grams Score  (Read 6082 times)

Surf

You know that track everyone called the "Death Music"? Well Gustavo used it (or a variation of it) in his score for "21 Grams" first.  On the "21 Grams" soundtrack it's called "Does he who looks for the truth, Deserve Punishment for Finding It?".

If you have iTunes, you can listen to a sample of it here:  http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=77668202&s=14344

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Gustavo's Music for Brokeback Mountain same as on 21 Grams Score
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 06:26:33 pm »
If you have the physical CD of the 21 Grams soundtrack (I bought it on Amazon), SORRY, EDIT: tracks 3 and 11 (Three and Eleven) are very similar to Ennis riding along the ridge--Jack washing the shirts--the 2nd tent scene.

I think the music serves Brokeback better than it did 21 Grams. I love the soundtrack exactly the way it is...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 06:28:54 pm by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Surf

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 06:29:44 pm »
If you have the physical CD of the 21 Grams soundtrack (I bought it on Amazon), tracks 3 and 4 are very similar to Ennis riding along the ridge--Jack washing the shirts--the 2nd tent scene.

I think the music serves Brokeback better than it did 21 Grams. I love the soundtrack exactly the way it is...

OH my God you are right! Track 3 from the 21 Grams Soundtrack is like an early rough version of "Horse Love" (second tent scene music).  Track 4 howerver, is a rap song, surely, umm, you meant another track number....

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 06:31:42 pm »
Yes, please see my edit, it's THREE and ELEVEN.

I posted a very illogical but sincerely believed rant on TOB today on the topic--I'll go see if I can find it--

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 06:37:12 pm »
My illogical but sincerely believed rant from TOB:
(Similarites?) I don't care. Yes, I hear the similarities not only to 'Different Gods,' but to Santaolalla's own earlier work on 21 Grams, and you know--I don't care.

If other musicians deserve compensation, let the courts decide and award it. If they deserve it, they should get it, and I will cheer--

However--if this should happen, it would not affect my love for this score, nor my gratitude to Santaolalla and Lee for releasing it exactly as it is because, note by note, moment by moment, it is the perfect score for this movie, and if it were different in any way in the slightest degree it would be less than perfect.

I'm beginning to believe in fate. Ang Lee said during his appearance with Charlie Rose that sometimes a story waits and waits, chooses its time, then makes itself be made, manipulating people so that they just channel it into being, servants of the story.

This is such a movie.

In some form or another, it whatever medium is current, as long as there are people, this initial theatrical release cut version will always exist--with the original Santaolalla score--whatever the "sources" or "inspirations" or influences" might have been. I know this will be way too "woo woo" for many people, but--so what.

JMHO, as we say on the web.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 06:38:59 pm by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

Surf

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 06:49:34 pm »
Found this comment online:

"The main theme is a complete rip off Snuffy Walden's score for Stephen King's "The Stand" mini-series."  Ummm..sooo...wonder what "theme" from Brokeback Mountain he is talking about?

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 06:49:48 pm »
21 Grams is a good movie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 07:04:42 pm »
Brandon, I agree. but--that 21 G and BBM have this 'overlap' doesn't trouble me in the slightest.

Way long ago, traditional music had no authors and composers--just well-known themes that were borrowed without thought. Of course The Academy wasn't awarding Oscars for best score in those days, and people justifiably expect credit, compensation, acclaim.

Whatever happened, however it happened, it resulted in a miraculous pairing of music and images. I'm glad we have it. I think IT deserved the Oscar, regardless of WHO 'wrote' it, and if any one else genuinely deserves credit/money, I hope they get it.

I've got a fever, I'm raving, and I know it. Night all! See ya in the mornin' (I hope)--

:-[ (Burnin' up--)

"Camping Out"

Surf

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 07:10:11 pm »
Brandon, I agree. but--that 21 G and BBM have this 'overlap' doesn't trouble me in the slightest.

Way long ago, traditional music had no authors and composers--just well-known themes that were borrowed without thought. Of course The Academy wasn't awarding Oscars for best score in those days, and people justifiably expect credit, compensation, acclaim.

Whatever happened, however it happened, it resulted in a miraculous pairing of music and images. I'm glad we have it. I think IT deserved the Oscar, regardless of WHO 'wrote' it, and if any one else genuinely deserves credit/money, I hope they get it.

I've got a fever, I'm raving, and I know it. Night all! See ya in the mornin' (I hope)--

:-[ (Burnin' up--)

Well Gustavo is the composer for both 21 Grams and Brokeback Mountain so if he want's to re-work, refine or rebuild earlier work, that's totally acceptable.  The big thing some people get worked up about is "The Wings" versus that Irish Folk guys song, but I really don't believe Gustavo plagarized anything, I really think it's entirely conincidental, and it's not like it hasn't happened before...like Starboard said both musicians are part of the World Music scene there's going to be influences all around.

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 08:41:26 pm »
OK, wow.

Track #11 isn't just re-working, it IS the first half of the "death theme".  Maybe that's why it wasn't included on the commercial CD?

Track #3 is similar to the second half, the 2nd tent scene music, but it has become more developed in Brokeback Mountain.

Did everyone get the complete score when fopper posted it back at the original Tremblay?

I listen to that track over and over in my car.  And I renamed it from "Horse Love" to "The Morning After and The Night After".   :)
I know I shall meet you on that final day! Water Walkin' Jesus, take me away...