Author Topic: Dave Cullen people making a book?  (Read 4739 times)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
Dave Cullen people making a book?
« on: August 20, 2006, 11:52:11 am »
Sorry if there's a post on this already. If so, this can be deleted, admins.

But aren't the people at Dave Cullen making a book consisting of passages written on BBM message boards? I remember hearing that online and I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it. It's supposed to be released sometime this fall, likely available to order online.

Comments?
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

mvansand76

Re: Dave Cullen people making a book?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 12:27:59 pm »
I was just on the davecullen site and it's huge! I still like it better here... :) It's more like a village here compared to their metropole. Anyway, I read about that somewhere, they have collected all the best posts and are going to publish them. It better not be all the posts about the discussion on what Jack and Ennis whispered in the SNIT... that would be boring... ;)

horo35

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:04:18 pm »
Apparently they are making a book..I wouldn't mind seeing it cause I'll collect anything pertaining to the movie.  I don't care for going on that site but I would still like to collect that book.

jack

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 01:24:42 pm »
the book is to be posts by cullen forum members onsite, illustrating various themes of awareness, epeiphanies  and the like, experienced as a result of the book, the movie, and sharing about it online.  it looks to be VERY professionally executed.  i have allowed one of my posts to be in it, and i think it was well chosen.

it may be the first time in history a movie and/or a website has generated a book of personal revalations that sprang from said movie.  it is, i think, going to address the fact that the power of the movie was so great that forums, not just fansites, sprung up.  i would hope they at least allude to the multiple sites, and in fact i will put forth that idea dierctly to the guy in charge, whose ear i have.

one thing about a site that large, the talent pool is astonishing and nearly inexaustible. 

a heads up.  the book is rather expensive so far, as it is after all a vanity printing.  i still think they are getting gauged, but i am not on comittee, nor am i familiar with this industry.  i believe it will be a worthy addition to the movie memorabilia, and will include posts from some members of this forum from their participation there.

jack       

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 01:33:52 pm »
I'm all over it!  It will be a welcome addition to my BBM collection! :)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 01:52:26 pm »
TexRob (Robert), who some of us had the pleasure of meeting at the Atlanta Fox Theatre BBM viewing, is heavily involved in this book project (specifically editing, I believe).  I sent him a PM just now, so hopefully he'll have time soon to post all pertinent details here.

I think the book is going to be a wonderful addition to our Brokeback Mountain collections.  And I believe that if the first book is successful, there are plans for future volumes focusing on other aspects of the BBM experience.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 09:43:31 am »
I'm one of the volunteer proofreaders and have read about 1/4 of the book in its rough form. Some of the stories are heart-wrenching, others very encouraging; and the editors went to an incredible amount of work going through all the possible posts.

The DC site reported this week that the book will be sold for about $31.00 hardback and $15.95 paperback. A bit higher than the usual costs of books but self-published books do tend to be more expensive and the paperback edition wouldn't be out of reach for most people. They're still working on options for marketing the book but it should be out in a few months. Just don't hold me to that! I have no control over it.  But being able to read part of this book while it's being put together has been a great experience.

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 10:27:12 am »
will it be available outside the US? I'd definately love to buy a copy

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 11:00:26 am »
I'm one of the volunteer proofreaders and have read about 1/4 of the book in its rough form. Some of the stories are heart-wrenching, others very encouraging; and the editors went to an incredible amount of work going through all the possible posts.

The DC site reported this week that the book will be sold for about $31.00 hardback and $15.95 paperback. A bit higher than the usual costs of books but self-published books do tend to be more expensive and the paperback edition wouldn't be out of reach for most people. They're still working on options for marketing the book but it should be out in a few months. Just don't hold me to that! I have no control over it.  But being able to read part of this book while it's being put together has been a great experience.

I'm pleased to meet you, Marge.  Thanks for posting the information about the upcoming book.  I'm sure it was a TON of work, but a labor of love, right?  I'm sure it's going to be amazing.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 11:20:25 am »
That is a wonderful thing.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."