Author Topic: Favourite food  (Read 9570 times)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Favourite food
« on: August 20, 2006, 04:15:12 pm »
Oh my God! They grow again! Yay!  :D

What am I talking about? Wild mushrooms, and especially Porcini Mushrooms, aka Yellow Boletuses. I don't know how well known they are in North America, but overhere in Germany, Austria and Italy many people are crazy about them, me included.
Today, me, my Dad (it's because of him, I'm like this...)  ;D and little Franca ventured out into the woods and brought home two baskets full of fresh mushrooms. Yum, yum, yum!!!

Here's our find on my mum's kitchen table:

And here's my dinner before...  :)

...and after cooking:

I just love wild mushrooms! Just had to share this.  :)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:16:52 pm by Pipedream »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Favourite food
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 08:02:36 pm »
Never been much of a mushroom fan, myself.  But those look really lovely, and that soup, is it?, at the end looks good enough to eat even to me.

I'll tell you what my favorite food is, though - pasta.  In all its various forms.  I can go without cookies and cakes and ice cream and brownies for the rest of my days.  I can live without rice, cereal, and even bread.  But the single thing that brings about the downfall to my South Beach Dieting success every time (well, twice so far, anyway) is pasta.  That whole wheat stuff out there now is crap.  Make mine semolina, dammit.
No more beans!

injest

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 08:15:05 pm »
crispy fried chicken...heck chicken cooked any way...

We have a cattle ranch and so we have beef coming out our ears...so I trade beef for chicken....

stir fried, oven baked, cooked in pies, but the best is good ol golden fried!!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 09:34:48 pm »
Other the obvious Deep Browned beans (hey! I'm french canadian!), I LOVE calf liver (tenderized in milk and coated with flour) with onions and ketchup (and make a nice sauce with the scapings from the bottom of the fry pan - for the mashed potatoes). The problem is, I don't frequently make some.

Also of note, every member of my rather large family (4 brothers and 2 sisters) are also liver lovers ... On a recent get together at a family type restaurant, everybody at the gathering ordered the same liver diner, after I had ordered mine.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Giancarlo

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 10:00:45 pm »
I do like mushrooms. I have a packet of dried funghi from Italy typically used in risotto dishes.

Here are some of my favorite dishes:

From Spain:

(Paella)

Patatas Bravas (typical tapa dish from Spain - basically potatoes with a wonderful sauce)

(more tapas)

From Italy:

Spaghetti al mare

Just some dishes I like...

Oh and must not forget a drink to go with...

For the Paella and/or Pasta I recommend:

Albariño
Albariño is an aromatic, fruity, dry white wine. It is a thick-skinned, low yielding Spanish variety which was brought to North Western Spain in 1185 by Cistercian monks from the Rhine. One theory for its name is that it was called “the Rhine white” (Alba-white and Riño-Rhine). Our tasting notes reveal delicate hints of tropical fruit, pear, apricot and citrus rind. Our Albariño was fermented in stainless steel and partly in neutral oak barrels. This wine pairs wonderfully with seafood, poultry and traditional Spanish dishes such as paella and tapas.

Garnacha
This fruity, floral variety is one of the most drinkable wines in the Mediterranean.  In Spain it is known as "Garnacha," while in France it is known as "Grenache".  Both countries agree that its delightful aromas and appealing flavors make it a favorite from the Rhone to the Rioja.  It loves warm, sunny climates and has done very well in California.  Our Garnacha is grown on the volcanic red soils of the Clements Hills east of Lodi.  Our tasting notes reveal luscious fruity flavors of strawberry, black cherry and hints of rose petals.  Enjoy everyday with light fare, appetizers and grilled summer vegetables.   

http://www.bokischvineyards.com/tastingnotes.htm

The Garnacha is a more deep wine, probably more suitable for the Paella.

For Tapas... a good old beer would do..

I'm a total mediterranean boy... heheheh :) And my taste in food is quite elegant. I love the right kind of wine mmm... you'll also notice I'm huge on seafood... I LOVE SEAFOOD. LOBSTER, CRAB, SHRIMP... mmmm....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 10:16:57 pm by Giancarlo »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 01:49:28 am »
I do like mushrooms. I have a packet of dried funghi from Italy typically used in risotto dishes.

Here are some of my favorite dishes:

From Spain:

(Paella)

Torremolinos, Spain (March 1982)19 year old Hoosier boy tastes paella for the first time in Torremolinos.
(AP) A 19 year old youth from Indianapolis ordered paella for the first time in a local Torremolinos restaurant. After sampling the regional dish, the youth, while enjoying lunch with his family, told the AP in an interview "I have never ordered anything more delicious in my life...except maybe the cute bus boy at Hillcrest and my life will not be complete until I taste Paella again... or until I have my way with Heath Ledger, Ray Romano, Matt Damon, Justin Long, Wentworth Miller, Leonardo DiCaprio... or a luncheon with Cher, Kate Winslet, Britney Spears or Madonna." Details at 10.

You just HAD to show that picture of the paella again, didn't you Giancarlo?  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 01:50:39 am »
Oh. I was suppose to tell you all my favorite food.

Chocolate. It's chocolate.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Giancarlo

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 03:22:06 am »
Torremolinos, Spain (March 1982)19 year old Hoosier boy tastes paella for the first time in Torremolinos.
(AP) A 19 year old youth from Indianapolis ordered paella for the first time in a local Torremolinos restaurant. After sampling the regional dish, the youth, while enjoying lunch with his family, told the AP in an interview "I have never ordered anything more delicious in my life...except maybe the cute bus boy at Hillcrest and my life will not be complete until I taste Paella again... or until I have my way with Heath Ledger, Ray Romano, Matt Damon, Justin Long, Wentworth Miller, Leonardo DiCaprio... or a luncheon with Cher, Kate Winslet, Britney Spears or Madonna." Details at 10.

You just HAD to show that picture of the paella again, didn't you Giancarlo?  :)

Indeed, it is a fantastic dish of our culture, and differs from region to region. In regions that include seaports it includes a great deal of wonderful seafood.

vkm91941

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 03:39:04 am »
Chicken, chicken, chicken.  I love Chicken   ;) and any fresh veggie steamed.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 03:21:10 pm »

You're a lucky girl, I envy you. Mmmmh, I love Yellow Boletuses and Chanterelles. I used to go in the woods for fungi with my dad when I was a child. He knew them well. But I don't have a clue and I don't want an evening of enjoying fungi to end at the ER. So I just let them be.

My favourite food is pasta. And from the various pasta dishes, my fav is the ordinary Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 03:23:02 pm by Penthesilea »