Author Topic: Your orientation  (Read 13831 times)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Your orientation
« on: April 02, 2006, 06:18:01 pm »
I have an impression that Brokies tend to be heterosexual women or gay men, and I would like to test it. All self-selecting polls are statistically valueless, so the results of this can only be expressed as "Of those who answered, x said they were..." So far as I know, there is no way to extract individual votes, so confidentiality is automatic.

Later: Notice that the ratio needs to be compared with the sex ratio of all users, which can be derived from the "About our users" poll. Taking into account the very low turnout, the ratios are about the same. That is, there are more men than women here, and the men are almost all gay, the women almost all strait. Given the topic is a love story about two men, this is hardly surprising. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 05:15:49 pm by Shuggy »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Your orientation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 04:27:35 pm »
Here I am.  Nice to meet you, Isabelle.  I'm Barb.  I'm in that largest female group with you.  And Shuggy, looks like you were definitely right.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 06:18:06 pm »
Here I am.  Nice to meet you, Isabelle.  I'm Barb.  I'm in that largest female group with you.  And Shuggy, looks like you were definitely right.   ;D

OOps... Just had a look at the results again, and it seems I wasn't looking right! I am not in the biggest group AT ALL (since that is gay men). I am in fact in the bi female list. Sorry I must have confused you.

So Shuggy is still right, and I am only half 'not surprising'!
I'll reiterate my call:
Hello, sisters, where are you, who are you?? There're 3 of us so far, where are the other 2? You, Mandy?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 05:15:13 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 04:32:45 am »
I reckon you should add to the list: straight female but slightly bent  ;D

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 09:54:27 am »
I wish there was an option for "not sure/questioning/curious"

I know of at least one bettermost member who probably would have chosen that...  and BBM is likely responsible for scores of people suddenly questioning themselves.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 02:02:08 pm »
I..used to be a straight woman...now, I'm a straight woman who falls in love with (real!) gay men...man...none of you, Eric, Pete, Krik,
Michael, and--whoever else I;ve seen the verschlungener movie with.

But I go by the Bette Davis--smoking principle: when she got to be 82, and still hadn't gotten ill from asmoking, she didn't stop.

I figure at my age I can fall in love with anyone i want...who's gonna care, anyway? 

CLICK TO ENLARGE (if you really want to)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 02:06:22 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 08:13:44 pm »
I wish there was an option for "not sure/questioning/curious"

I know of at least one bettermost member who probably would have chosen that...  and BBM is likely responsible for scores of people suddenly questioning themselves.
Well they can put "none of the above". To test my theory ("Most people here are gay males or strait females"), all I needed was
gay male
strait female
other
and if G+S>O my theory is proved. As editor, I can still change it, and people can change their votes - if they happen to come back. This is never going to get enough hits to reach any kind of statistical significance.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:19:43 pm by Shuggy »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 09:58:00 am »

Well, that'd be all of us girls, wouldn't it?
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 12:21:46 pm »

:D

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 01:58:29 pm »

I did the Kinsey test online a couple of months ago and it said it's natural to have same-sex sex dreams, fantasies, etc. but only if you act on those tendencies would you be considered bi or gay. I don't know if I believe it or agree, I'm just telling y'all what I read.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

moremojo

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 11:13:11 pm »
For anyone interested:

I just responded to this poll, but to ensure that I don't lurk in anonymity, I am a gay male (will answer to queer and homosexual also). I'm also single and available :)...

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:40:34 pm by moremojo »

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 07:00:46 pm »
I'm also single and available :)...

Scott M. in Austin, Texas

hmmmm..... Not too far away from my home, Albuquerque, NM.....
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline David

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 08:48:56 pm »
Oh?   are we adding availability status to the Poll?   Hehehe!

Single.....Sigh, so very single.
   :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 11:20:28 pm »
Ya know, this poll is kind of giving me the courage to mention something I've been privately wondering, that kind of relates to this poll.

I've been wondering what role, if any, age, gender, and orientation play in who we find "more attractive," Ennis or Jack. (I suppose a straight male wouldn't find either "attractive.")

I'll only use myself as an example of what I'm wondering about. I'm a middle-aged gay male--and Jack is my ideal fantasy young cowboy lover, no doubt about it. But, I honestly ask myself, if were 20--okay 25--years younger, would I be more attracted to strong, silent "daddy" Ennis? Quite possibly, I might be.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 12:21:51 pm »
Oh?   are we adding availability status to the Poll?   Hehehe!

Single.....Sigh, so very single.
   :-\

Well, David, which would you rather be: very single? or technically in a relationship, 'cos you're living with that person, but feeling like you ARE single?  :-\
I'm afraid I fall - I am falling - in the second category, and find it uncomfortable. I like situations to be clear. I want to be really single when I am feeling available   ;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 12:24:25 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 01:58:39 pm »
Well, David, which would you rather be: very single? or technically in a relationship, 'cos you're living with that person, but feeling like you ARE single?  :-\
I'm afraid I fall - I am falling - in the second category, and find it uncomfortable. I like situations to be clear. I want to be really single when I am feeling available   ;D

I hear you, Isabelle! As we have noted before.

TJ

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 02:45:40 pm »
Say, I like this kind of poll because some Brokeback Mountain forums' and Yahoo Group's moderators/monitors think that gender and sexual orientation are irrelevant to the discussion of the movie and the book.

While I strongly believe that I was born with the sexual orientation of homosexuality exclusively, I did not become "gay" until I left the proverbial homosexual closet of denial in March 1984 after my 41st birthday (Nov. 4).

Empirical evidence proves that a person's sexual orientation is apparently decided before a person is born. By divine inspiration, I have to believe that my sexual orientation was was decided at the very moment of conception and it was inherited through my father's father's branch of the family tree.  I don't know of any homosexuals or gay person on my mother's side of the family. My mother had an aunt who was her father's half-sister (different mothers) who had a son a few years younger than me who liked sex with guys when he was a teen growing up. Where that came from for him, I cannot say.

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 07:57:29 pm »
Howdy,

I voted.

May I say how tired I am of the word "gay," though?   I'm becoming downright resentful.  Never been one for bars (haven't set foot in one in 15 years - infrequent and irregular attendance prior to that.)  Been once to Fire Island (or equivalent party spot)  not obsessed with clothes, appearance...  anyway... you get the idea.  While sexually attracted only to males, I've never shared much else with the "gay" community at large.  In fact, I've often been outright rejected by it.  None if this is meant as a criticism of that lifestyle -- some people hate brussels sprouts, I love' em (go figure.) -- but it's just not appealling to me.

Anyway...  I think we need to find another word... a new word... one that conveys clearly where one's emotional/sexual energies focus, but does not conjur up all the attendant stereotypical images.

Maybe I'm dreaming...   or being silly (neither beyond the realm of possibility.)  Queer is better, I think, but for me smacks too much of "in your face"  as in "we're here, get over it!))  And homosexual has always been a problem.  A Latin/Greek hybrid that should have died in Mr. Kertbeny's notes never to be heard of again.  Homophile, while at least a real word, doesn't convey the "sexual" side, it simply means Love of the Same.

I'm sure I'm not the first to pose this but I'd welcome any thoughts...  (Mods, if this is the wrong place for this, tell me where and how I can move it.)

We also need a new word to replace "wife" or "husband" in the context of same sex marriage.

But that's a rant for another time...

Just my 2 cents

Kudz

TJ

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 09:30:16 pm »
"Husband?"

That reminds me of the time I had gone to the Rawhide Club in N. Hollywood and for some reason, Ed, was going to show up later.

When our mutual friend, Paul, saw me at the bar, he asked, "Where's your husband?"

I said, "I don't have a husband."

Then Paul explained his use of he word. He said, "Jack and I each consider ourself to be a husband. A husband is one who cares for the person with whom he lives."

"Husband" literally means "one who holds a house" or owns one.

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 03:51:40 pm »
Indeed...  point well taken

And as a verb, it also means to nurture, use well or sparingly, etc., as in "to husband one's resources."

I was kinda hoping for a totally new term as this one is so totally tied to the old paradigm.  But, it's not an easy task to come up with one.

That said husband/husband would not bother me...

I often think of the Greeks and their delineation of Eromenos/Erastes - neither of which translates well (Lover/Beloved -- too sappy/romantic for my tastes.)  The Spartans, on the other hand, I like very well... I forget the original words but they translate to  Inspirer/breather-in  (inspire in the dual sense or providing inspiration/breathing.  -- interesting semantic tangle there...

But since both of these derive from the pederastic model... perhaps we should look elsewhere.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 04:44:10 pm »
May I say how tired I am of the word "gay," though?   I'm becoming downright resentful.  Never been one for bars (haven't set foot in one in 15 years - infrequent and irregular attendance prior to that.)  Been once to Fire Island (or equivalent party spot)  not obsessed with clothes, appearance...  anyway... you get the idea.  While sexually attracted only to males, I've never shared much else with the "gay" community at large.  In fact, I've often been outright rejected by it.  None if this is meant as a criticism of that lifestyle -- some people hate brussels sprouts, I love' em (go figure.) -- but it's just not appealling to me.

Anyway...  I think we need to find another word... a new word... one that conveys clearly where one's emotional/sexual energies focus, but does not conjur up all the attendant stereotypical images.

Maybe I'm dreaming...   or being silly (neither beyond the realm of possibility.)  Queer is better, I think, but for me smacks too much of "in your face"  as in "we're here, get over it!))  And homosexual has always been a problem.  A Latin/Greek hybrid that should have died in Mr. Kertbeny's notes never to be heard of again.  Homophile, while at least a real word, doesn't convey the "sexual" side, it simply means Love of the Same.

I'm sure I'm not the first to pose this but I'd welcome any thoughts...  (Mods, if this is the wrong place for this, tell me where and how I can move it.)

This is a good topic, but it doesn't belong here. I'm starting a new thread in Safe Haven.

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 01:05:46 am »
Sorry, Shuggy,

I wondered about that.  But I had no idea how to go about moving it.  Hate to cause trouble.  I'll try to be more on topic in future.

Kudz

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 09:49:06 am »
I'm curious and have a question for the two females with "other" orientation: what orientations are there aside from hetero, bi, and gay/lesbian??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 09:52:56 am »
I'm curious and have a question for the two females with "other" orientation: what orientations are there aside from hetero, bi, and gay/lesbian??

"Asexual", I guess.
" - I'm vegan now."

TJ

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 06:04:54 pm »
A person who experiences physiological sexual attractions to both genders equally is "omnisexual." A PhD psychologist told me that.

A person who is double-gendered, both male and female a the same time with variations is an "Intersex." Those people have been called "hermaphrodites." But, "Intersex" seems to be a more preferred term now and I have met some people who identified themselves that way.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 03:05:15 am »
I am gay, gay, all the way.

It isn't easy in this part of the country though. I learned long ago to keep it "under the table" so to speak.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Giancarlo

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 04:10:41 am »
I'm gay. :) I live in Los Angeles.. just depends on where you are...

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 12:45:18 am »
It isn't easy in this part of the country though.
I hear ya, Friend.

I will admit to being able to find men attractive, but I didn't vote bisexual because sometimes I'm not totally sure what that entails, and I'm certainly not half-and-half, as I am much more often attracted to females and would only consider having a relationship with a woman.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 10:03:22 am »
According to the poll I am the only straight male on BetterMost...

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 10:25:37 am »
I wasn't sure whether to put myself in the bi female or straight female, slightly bent category... so I plumped for bi female on the strength of the only short relationship I've had with a woman, which was pretty chaste I guess but did involve some hanky panky. Does it mean I'm past the 'slightly bent' stage if it's got physical? I sure wouldn't object if it happened again, I had a major crush on this woman for a long time, and I sure appreciate a good looking woman, so I guess I must be bi? ???

I'm afraid I fall - I am falling - in the second category, and find it uncomfortable. I like situations to be clear. I want to be really single when I am feeling available   ;D

Isabelle, honey, you and I are on the same page at the moment  :-*

That's because you're special Chris... ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:29:01 am by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 11:10:39 am »

:laugh: :laugh:

Good for you Chris.  You know we love you here.  Actually I think there was one other young guy who said he is straight male, but I don't think he posted more than a few posts.  Oh, and don't forget our StudDuck (David).

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 01:24:55 pm »

Isabelle, honey, you and I are on the same page at the moment  :-*

And on all points, it would seem  ;)
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 01:32:10 pm »
And on all points, it would seem  ;)

LOL!!! ;)
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2006, 01:20:17 pm »
I'm a man that loves men, but the men have to be manly. 

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 12:20:31 pm »
gay male here.

Used to date women while living in the closet, but never had any real attraction to any women at all.

No offense meant, ladies. 

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 03:00:23 pm »
None taken!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 10:50:55 am »

To quote Mart Crowley in "The Boys in the Band, "I've known what I was since I was four years old!" (and it ain't straight, mate!)  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν