Author Topic: Four (now FOURTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?  (Read 183778 times)

retropian

Re: Four Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 07:44:18 am »
I saw it Saturday 12-10 with several friends. i became the only Brokie. Actually I was already a Brokie by the time it was released on 12-9. I had never read the story, but I do recall a display of Annie Proulx books, probably Close Range in the late 90's at my local Borders. I remember because Proulx is such a distinctive name, but at the time I wasn't interested in western literature so I passed. I think it was in 2004 reports of "a gay cowboy" movie being filmed with JG and HL began to appear in the various entertainment rags. I really wasn't familiar with either of them, I don't think I'd seen a single film of theirs. I vaguely remember Heath being promoted as the Hot new Aussie hunk in the early 2000's. I recall the report of Heath nearly breaking Jakes nose during a take of the reunion kiss. Of course a report like that really put the movie on my radar, and so I started following any reports on the progress of it's filming I could find. Still, I did not read the SS. finally in september 05 it debuted at the Venice Film Festival and I started assiduously checking IMDB for comments and reviews. Then the Toronto film festival happened and around that time I read the SS, repeatedly. Damn, I had to wait 'til December to see it. I started googling it and discovered the message board that later evolved into the Dave Cullen site. Later came Bettermost. So Saturday the 10th rolled around and I was almost sick with anticipation, but had to play it cool with my friends. I just didn't want to let on how obsessed I already was. The movie did not disappoint, far from it. I had never been affected by a film like that before. Today, 4 years later, I still think about it. I'm still here.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 11:12:12 am »
On a date I can't remember in October, I went to work and opened yahoo.  In the news section was a headline that caught my eye.

"Gay Cowboy Movie Wins Golden Lion Award".

I read the story, with quotes from Ang Lee (who I knew) and Heath and Jake (who I didn't).  The online article ended with a link to the trailer, which I sat at my desk and watched.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xuugq7fito[/youtube]

I was immediately hooked, and I made note of the release date of 12/9.  It was at that moment I decided to dress as a cowboy for Halloween that year.

I learned that the movie was "limited release" at first, with no Jersey dates.  I only live about 45 mintues from the city, but couldn't justify spending $10.00 on tolls, $20.00 for parking, movie ticket prices, and whatever food or drink I got.  So I decided to wait.

That year, Christmas fell on a Sunday.  That meant my job was closed on Monday.  I also found that Brokeback was now playing in Montclair, a 10 minute ride from my house, with much cheaper parking.  My friends were all working, so I intended on going along.  Mom decided to join me the last minute.

We got there for the 1:00 showing, a half hour early, thinking that would be plenty of time.  There was a line outside the theater.  When we walked in, they were announcing the only seats available for the 1:00 showing was front row.  The 3:45 and the 6:30 showings were already sold out.  Mom and I grabbed those front row seats, and we ran in and sat down, and slid down in the seats.

That was the first of many showings of BBM for me.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 04:02:50 pm »
For me it'll be 2½ effin' years the 7th of January 2010.

When the movie was released in Sweden some time during spring of 2006 I read a very positve review, and thought to myself that it seemed to be an interesting film, and that I'd like to see it. I had never heard of HL or JG, but the way the review was written appealed to me.

Then time went by, I never got to see it and forgot about it. 1½ years later I saw the name Brokeback Mountain again, in a list of films on the website of an online DVD subscription site I was a member of. "Oh yeah, it's that film I wanted to see" I thought and ticked it off. Some time later it arrived in my letter box, and on the 7/7 -07 I, totally unprepared, put it in my DVD player and sat down to watch it alone at home.

Nothing has been the same ever since.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 04:36:18 pm »
January 2006, a small theatre in a small town in northern Sweden. I don't know why I went. I drove 26 km from my home to the town, went alone. I never asked anyone to come.

I remember when I came out on the street after the film. I was numb. I couldn't figure out what had hit me.

I went back the next night. two nights later I went with my hubby. When we got home he ordered the film from Amazon, it wasn't released yet in Sweden. My daughter helped me with the down loading. Later that spring they were on Oprah, I called in sick and stayed home just because.....

No, nothing has been the same ever since......
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 04:46:25 pm »
I always have to go back and look in my journal to be sure, but I am pretty sure it was Friday, the 6th of January, 2006. I had been following the progress of the movie since first hearing about it in September 2005 when it was at the Toronto Film Festival and was reported on by NPR.

The week before I bought a copy of the the Roanoke Times and checked the movie section, knowing if it was in Roanoke it would be at the art house cinema, The Grandin.

It opened there that afternoon at a matinee, we made the 7pm show and it was a crowd of people there. The movie was being shown in the largest theater of the 5 or so they have, it was full. A lot of gay men were there, a lot of straight couples and old women too, and when Jack Twist told L.D. Newsome to sit down, we all applauded.

I will probably have a toast in recognition of the day, I think about the story and film and its impact on my life everyday. I am glad I don't cry like I once did.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 06:37:56 pm »
I was early January, in Dundee. I must go find my ticket stub for the actual date. But the next day, I went and bought the soundtrack and joined IMDB message boards.

And th rest, as they say is history!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 10:46:24 pm »
A Sunday in January 2006. Other people have mentioned seeing it on the fateful date of Jan. 22. That may have been it for me, too, but I'm thinking it was more likely Jan. 15.

I decided to go to a movie, and it was between Brokeback Mountain, Munich and The New World. I'd noticed that BBM was getting good reviews, and was mildly interested in seeing it, although having read the story I thought I kind of knew about what to expect and wasn't super excited about it. Not that I didn't like the SS, just that I basically got the message and felt the movie would be preaching to the choir. I chose it more for the way the movie schedule worked into my time frame than anything else.

I went here:

I never did see Munich or The New World. I didn't see any other movie at all for months afterward.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:35:45 am by serious crayons »

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 12:50:56 am »
I saw BBM a few days after XMAS, 2005.  I don't remember the exact day, but I suspect it was Dec. 28th.  My daughter asked me to take her to see it, as she waited for the movie to be released for over a year.  I had every intention of seeing Brokeback, and we saw it for the first time at the AMC complex in Emeryville, CA.  I knew nothing about the short story, or anything else about Brokeback.  After the movie ended I couldn't account for my feelings.  I rushed home and read every review I could find and became a regular poster over at IMDB.  I was hooked! I saw the movie 15 more times in 06 at 3 or 4 different theaters in The Bay Area.  I don't know how I'll celebrate.  My daughter wanted to watch it on Bravo yesterday, but I didn't feel up to it. Once the movie starts, I can't take my eyes of of it.  I may take out one of my copies of the DVD (I have 3 for some reason) and have a private showing, just my daughter and I.  4 years is not such a long time, IMHO.  I plan to be a Brokie forever.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 01:19:03 am »
I used to play the movie and book games on IMDb, and had favorite players whose posting history I would check, as a quick way to find the best games in play.

One was DryToast.  I started noticing that he had dozens (and eventually hundreds) of posts in the IMDb forum for a movie with a weird name, "Brokeback Mountain."  I took a look, and then read more and more of the posts in the forum.  I can't say what got me sucked in, but I was.  That was in October 2005.

I read all the posts, I downloaded the short story to my Palm and read it over and over.  I watched YouTube videos people had made from the Logo documentary about BBM.  And then, the day BBM was supposed to open here in Seattle, Dec 16, 2005, I flew across the country to be with my family for the holidays.  The day it opened there, I flew back to Seattle.  I finally, finally saw it, by myself, on December 31st.  I saw it a bunch of times in the theater, and several (though not a bunch of) times on my DVDs.  Now I mostly just watch it when I'm with other Brokies, or in an organized chat to watch it.  Like many of you, I can play it in my head if I want to watch it.

I don't know how I plan to celebrate - I guess I see my anniversary as mostly in October, when I first discovered it.  Sometimes to honor BBM, I wear blue and brown together (something I had never done before), or talk in Brokieisms.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 01:22:32 am »
I saw Brokeback Mountain on Jan. 1, 2006 - it made such an impression on me that I kept the ticket stub.  I remember I had heard a discussion about it on Good Morning America, and it sounded so intriguing to me.   I love Wyoming as well - then I heard the author's name and I realized I had a copy of Wyoming Stories that we bought, but I hadn't had time to read.   I read the short story and it brought me to tears, especially the part where Ennis still dreamt of Jack - so I fell hook, line and sinker for the entire thing.   My husband read it too.  We were not disappointed when we saw it either -  everything, from the soundtrack to the cinematography, to the magnificent performances of Heath and Jake, to the beauty of their intimacy.   Just amazing.  I've seen it countless times, I even enjoyed it on Bravo last night, even though I own 3 copies of the DVD - the first one, the Collector's edition, and then one on Blu-Ray, and if a deleted scenes/anniversary edition comes out,  you bet I'll get that too.   I have the soundtrack as well.   We both just sat there as the credits rolled, stunned - couldn't cry, couldn't even move.   Looking around, I did see that it affected everyone in some way - some couples touching each other affectionately, some softly crying.  In subsequent viewings I have cried buckets too.  I guess you could say it made an impression on me - and it is one of my very favorite films, ever.   Just a haunting and affecting film.

How will I celebrate four years later?   I'd love to see it on the big screen again, somewhere.  I have only seen it on the big screen once.

:D
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love