Author Topic: Four (now FOURTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?  (Read 183704 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: On this day in history - Brokies were "born"!
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2011, 07:27:26 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2011, 07:31:58 pm »
I'll admit the NYC 'premiere' was 12/6/05, but that was for the stars and the press.  That's where the cast were all photographed.  Probably an invitation-only event. 

The 'opening', however, was on Friday, 12/9/05, when the public was invited, at least in NYC, LA and SF.  To me, that's when 'Brokies' were born!

IMDb considers the 'release' date to be 12/16/05, when it was released wider.  That's when I became a Brokie!

I saw it the first time on 12/26/2005, but was aware of the movie when it won the Golden Lion before Halloween, and I even dressed as a cowboy that year because of the movie....Techincally I guess I was a Brokie then.

12/5 was the NYC premiere, and that's when I REALLY started to hear about Brokeback everywhere....TV, radio, print, everywhere, and that's when people started to anticipate the public release.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2011, 07:34:02 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2011, 08:08:24 pm »
IMDb considers the 'release' date to be 12/16/05, when it was released wider. 

That's when it opened in Philadelphia--on three screens, IIRC. That was a Friday, as I saw it first on Sunday, 12/18/05.

I just double-checked the date on my ticket stub. ...  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2011, 09:15:11 pm »

Well, the date is up for debate!

The film was actually first shown in the US at the Telluride film festival, on September 3, right after Venice. 

I'll admit the NYC 'premiere' was 12/6/05, but that was for the stars and the press.  That's where the cast were all photographed.  Probably an invitation-only event. 

The 'opening', however, was on Friday, 12/9/05, when the public was invited, at least in NYC, LA and SF.  To me, that's when 'Brokies' were born!

IMDb considers the 'release' date to be 12/16/05, when it was released wider.  That's when I became a Brokie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/releaseinfo

Yup!--except--

They released it at midight the night before! I was there with a friend Thursday night, December 8th--they opened the theater (it was at the Loews on Broadway and 68th) and started the trailers just around 12--and there it was.

And there I was--I went again the very next night, Friday December 9 (at the Loews at 11th and 3rd Ave). And then the next night (you get the idea)--and so on--

:)

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2011, 09:36:11 pm »
I sure wish I had a head for dates, and I'm too lazy (tired) to look it up  ;D but I think Brokeback opened in Oakland first at the Art House Theatre: The Piedmont, the second week of December.  It spread like wildfire shortly after that.  I believe every theatre  in town featured it, except the Grand Lake.  The Grand Lake owner said he would have shown it but the Piedmont was so close in proximity. 

I became a Brokie right after Xmas and I've never been the same!  8)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2011, 10:42:47 pm »
I first saw the movie a few days after Christmas too. My daughter took me to see it...it was her Christmas present to me.

Fancy that the U.S. first showing of Brokeback was in Colorado...wow!! It also showed at the Denver International Film Festival in early November. Ang Lee, Annie Proulx and other stars were there. I didn't go...I was being stubborn.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2011, 11:45:21 pm »
I, too, went with my daughter.  We actually saw it together 10 times after that.  We saw it in just about every East Bay theatre; screenings at the Castro in SF were especially nice!   :)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2011, 09:00:50 am »
About this time I was reading a story in the Kansas City Star about the making of the film; the account centered around the scene with Ennis and Jack's parents.  BBM didn't open in the Kansas City region till January of 2006, and I drove all the way out to "Cupcakeland" (suburban KC on the Kansas side) to see it.  Just a few weeks later it opened in a suburban theatre closer by, and I saw it a second time and was thoroughly hooked.

Wonderful artwork in this thread!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2011, 01:39:08 pm »
Happy Birthday Friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was about this time I first saw the trailer on TV, after a couple of months of hearing about it on NPR, and so began the switch from "I'll have to remember the name of this movie so I can rent it later" to "I have to fine this movie and see it". It was as simple as that, by this point in 2005 I knew something big was about to happen.

I had no idea.......

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xuugq7fito[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."