Author Topic: Ang Lee and the POM synergy  (Read 20932 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Ang Lee and the POM synergy
« on: August 28, 2006, 10:15:45 am »
Have you noticed that there are several places where Ossana/McMurty riff off of Annie Proulx's prose or move it to another place in the story? This occurs in the use of geographic directions, to name one. In the story, the topic of directions comes up in the early sexual relationship between Ennis and Alma. AP writes of Ennis that his, "...fingers moving...all the way to the North Pole or the equator, depending on which way you thought you were sailing..." But in the movie, the directions theme pops up instead with Jack and Lureen, where Jack says, "Fast or slow, I just like the direction you're going." However, in both the movie and the book, it's clear that Jack and Ennis are going in the wrong direction, Alma and Lureen too, for that matter. There are quite a few other examples of the Proulx/Ossana/McMurtry (POM) synergy. It's not a matter of whether the story is better than the movie or vise versa, it's a matter of appreciating all the elements these great minds brought to the work.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 02:29:20 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Directions and the POM synergy
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 12:24:27 pm »
This occurs in the use of geographic directions, to name one. In the story, the topic of directions comes up in the early sexual relationship between Ennis and Alma. AP writes of Ennis that his, "...fingers moving...all the way to the North Pole or the equator, depending on which way you thought you were sailing..." But in the movie, the directions theme pops up instead with Jack and Lureen, where Jack says, "Fast or slow, I just like the direction you're going."

Lee, that's great. A good observation. I never connected these two scenes in the way of descibing directions.

There are quite a few other examples of the Proulx/Ossana/McMurtry (POM) synergy.

I'd like to hear more examples. A more obvious one that comes to my mind is this one:

From story:
"...nothing he'd done before, but no instruction manual needed" (BTW, I love this phrase)

From movie:
Ennis: "Speak for yourself. You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the oppurtunity."

Both let us know Ennis was a virgin at this point.

On a similar note, I would put Ang Lee's direction into account, too. There are some scenes which I find particulary well transferred from story to movie. For example when they head up the mountain at the beginning:

From story:
"Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber ..."

This is really what it looked like. I saw the movie first and when this scene was shown, at first I thought indeed it was water running down the mountain, instead of a flow of sheep heading up the mountain.
I was surprised to read the description in the story later. I attach a picture of this scene.

It's not a matter of whether the story is better than the movie or vise versa, it's a matter of appreciating all the elements these great minds brought to the work.
Yep, full agreement here. And, as I said befoe, I think Ang Lee belongs with them.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 02:17:05 pm »
iIt would have been cool if they had incorperated Ennis having dreams about Jack at the end. Perhaps a montoge of thie times together befor "Jack I swear..."
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 03:07:38 pm »
Perhaps they did! I'll have to review the screenplay.

And yes you're right about the Proulx-Lee (P-L) synergy too, pent. Here's an example: There's a big trash bucket outside the door of Ennis's trailer in the last scene, and there's a big fan on his bed. Those are both visual code for Jack. Especially having the fan on the bed harks back to Proulx's line about Ennis waking up after dreaming about Jack and "sometimes the pillow was wet, sometimes the sheets."

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:48:02 pm »
I think this may be a little bit on the side of what you're discussing here, but I've noted the careful use of descriptive passages from the short story that have been inserted in the screenplay as mood setters/ instructions to actors/director. And not only in the appropriate and directly corresponding scenes between short story and film (like for instance the mention of Ennis's failure to embrace Jack face-to-face in relation to the dozy embrace), but also mixed so that one scene in the short story provides background material for an entirely other scene in the screenplay/film. For instance, the wind hitting the trailer like a load of dirt coming off a dump truck pesters lonely Ennis in the prologue in the short story, but has moved to shake Aguirre's trailer during Jack's attempt to get work on Brokeback in 1964 in the screenplay. I really like the way O/M has taken care to use those distinct and mood-setting parts of the short story as much as possible in this way.

I'm sorry they didn't find the opportunity to include more of the descriptive passages of the first days of Jack and Ennis's last fishing trip, because of the many lovely nature images there that simultaneously are used to characterize jack and Ennis and their relationship. (Jack drowning in the boneless blue sky looking up, the ochre-branched willows, the tea-colored river....etc ) But that scene in the short story does provide a bear that makes the horses startle, so I suppose that's the very bear got transplanted to the early Brokeback days in the film.  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 05:50:34 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 07:30:17 pm »
Not off topic at all! Just the thing I had in mind. Thanks, Mikaela.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 12:39:40 pm »
There's a big trash bucket outside the door of Ennis's trailer in the last scene, and there's a big fan on his bed. Those are both visual code for Jack. Especially having the fan on the bed harks back to Proulx's line about Ennis waking up after dreaming about Jack and "sometimes the pillow was wet, sometimes the sheets."

Also a coffee pot on the stove. But the huge fan on the bed is my favorite.

OK, speaking of the sheets, here's one that's kind of funny and I know from previous attempts to defend it is controversial: I think that when Ennis reads Jack's first postcard and then bolts from the kitchen and strides toward the back of the house, it implicitly illustrates the line, "I sure wrang it out a hundred times thinking about you."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 12:44:15 pm »
I'm with U lat! The director has to set us up for that reunion kiss which would normally be slightly out-of-character for Ennis!!  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 03:31:46 pm »
Help me remember, Katherine. I think ruthlessly pointed out that there were three sets of knives on the counter in Ennis's trailer. Is that true??

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 04:42:01 pm »
Help me remember, Katherine. I think ruthlessly pointed out that there were three sets of knives on the counter in Ennis's trailer. Is that true??

Yes, I believe I do remember ruthlessly saying that. But I don't recall what they were supposed to mean (if I ever understood in the first place). Do you?

I haven't seen all those knives, myself. It would seem odd to me to find three sets of knives in an underfurnished trailer. I think ruthlessly counted more than one coffee pot, too? But I haven't seen the movie even one tenth as many times as ruthlessly had, so I'll defer.

I do think there is more than one fan. Am I right?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 09:00:27 pm »
I just finished watching again. I only saw one knife block full of knives and I only saw one fan,

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 12:03:56 am »
I just finished watching again. I only saw one knife block full of knives and I only saw one fan,

OK. Well, having more than one knife set or coffee pot didn't make sense anyway. What, did someone throw him a bridal shower?

I think I remember what ruthlessly said knives symbolized: their relationship. That still doesn't explain why there'd be more than one, though.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 08:23:37 am »

Yep. I just checked the screencaps and I found only one block of knives, too. There's something similar to the block of knives on the counter, but it seems to be other kitchen utensils, no knives. I'll attach two pictures. In the first, the *other* object is left of the block of knives. In the second pic, it's on the right edge of the pic, behind the block of knives. Both times, the block of knives and the *other* object are not in focus, but can be seen good enough.
Both pictures are by roniabirk from www.stripedwall.com

What a sad picture the first one is  :'(
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 08:32:57 am by Penthesilea »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 08:29:25 am »
Off topic here:

Junior: "Daddy, you need more furniture."

Where the heck should Ennis have put more furniture? The trailer is full. Other, better furniture, yes. But more?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 04:05:42 pm »
LOL Pent, you're right. But I think Alma Jr. like most everyone, was speaking in code. What do U suppose she meant? Maybe pointing out that Ennis was living with only one foot in the material world. But on another level, I think he wanted to return to a way of living on the mountain in the camp. Just a log to lean against while sitting round the fire, and a washtub for a bathroom, a grate to cook on. I can understand where he's coming from...

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 03:41:02 pm »
Where the heck should Ennis have put more furniture? The trailer is full. Other, better furniture, yes. But more?

I think Alma Jr. is speaking in polite code for "Daddy, you need a home" as in "Daddy, you need a life". The stuff in Ennis's trailer looks like the accidental leftovers from a garage jumble sale - decrepit lamps, random odds and ends including that block of knives, broken stuff that has been kept on the odd chance it may one day be mended.....

Except for the hidden little Brokeback shrine the trailer's interior is impersonal, cold, indifferent, can be left at any time without a backward glance. It's not a home, it's not the frame surrounding an actual *life*, it's a place to exist while the days go by. It's downright scary to think that Ennis actually lives there.  :'(  You're so right - the first picture is so sad it hurts!

If I were a spiritual person I'd find it extremely painful to imagine Jack looking in on Ennis from some other reality, and seeing that first image or other moments like it.

~~~~

Lee, I'm with you in surmising that Ennis rushes off for some Jack-related alone-time when he leaves the kitchen with that purposeful stride after having re-read the postcard. Partly so as to not have to come up with more lies to answer Alma's queries, but I agree it's mostly to be alone with his thoughts and memories of Jack, - letting himself imaginine the upcoming reunion. And it's a very short step to including the line you're quoting in the likely scenario.......   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:43:16 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 03:53:37 pm »
Actually those are Katharine's (latjoreme's) thoughts, though I go along with them completely, Mikaela!!

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 06:10:40 pm »
Ooops! Sorry, Katherine!  You're a real thinker, you know I think so.  8)

Has anyone figured out the exact layout of the Del Mar Riverton apartment? Ennis is rushing from the kitchen into the living room towards the bedroom/bathroom section, far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:12:18 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 01:19:01 pm »
Thanks for this diagram, it really answers a few questions!! Could the dotted space be the girls' bedroom?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 06:50:02 pm »
bump
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 01:27:12 am »
Thanks for the bump, Lynne.  I ain't never seen this thread before.

I am interested in this apartment diagram, Barbara.  Where would the following be:

The couch ("that fire and brimstone crowd?")

The couch ("Maybe we could take your friend to the Knife & Fork.")

Are they the same?

Why does their living room seem so much bigger to me in the brimstone scene than in the Knife & Fork scene?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 01:12:58 pm »
The couches are in the same position in both scenes, but the first is faded orange, the second faded blue.

As to why the room seems bigger: All I can suggest is the difference in camera position. The ?brimstone? scene is shot with the camera next to the TV, looking down the length of the room. The ?Knife & Fork? scene is shot from the window, looking across the width of the room.

Here is another revised layout.

I love this.  Last night, when I was watching BBM in chat, I did deliberately look at the two scenes to contrast the two living room scenes.  It seemed more obvious that they are the same this time.

I have an urge to see a notation for where Ennis hangs his hat in the entryway.  Is that possible?  :)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 12:05:11 am »
Great observations, everybody! I love all the connections being described.

Quote from: goadra
Something I’d like to know: Why the switch in tense when Jack talks about quitting rodeo?
  • In the story: “I’m gettin out while I still can walk.”
  • In the film: “Got out while I could still walk.”

Oooh, grammar! (confession time - in jr. high I thought diagramming sentences was some high-class entertainment. Weird but true...)

Ok, I think the switch here goes along with Annie's Jack still being broke, still driving "the same old green pickup", 'cause LD isn't letting Lureen "have none a the money....so it's a hard go now"
That really is a big difference from the movie. It means Jack's been rodeoing, and barely scraping by, for 4 years. It also means that Bobby being born apparently didn't make any difference to Story LD, far as welcoming Lureen back into the family affluence. (Maybe Story Fayette still got those 120 cans of formula to Lureen somehow. ;))
 It seems like Annie's Jack and Ennis are in comparable financial circumstances, at least as far as that present moment was concerned.

I've got a question:
What things does the trailer mailbox connect to in the story? The screenplay is real specific. It's a "new mailbox" and "Ennis has a set of stick-on numbers in his hand. Peels the 1 off and precisely applies it, then the 7: 17."
Someone (who?) pointed out in another thread that there were 17 mountain ranges listed. Is one point of this carefully spelled out action of Ennis maybe to serve as something of that montage you mentioned hoping for, jp? Awake (instead of asleep), remembering (dreaming) their times together, as you said?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 12:11:04 am by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 12:50:52 am »
I don't understand the significance of the mailbox exactly, but I do know that it is a powerful image to Annie Proulx, the author of the story. She uses mailboxes and mail in many of her works; in fact her second novel is called "Postcards" and there are images of postcards at the beginning of each chapter. I surmise that the mailbox has to do with a character's receptivity to others, as well as relationships between people in general. Added to this is the fact that both the trailer and the mailbox have a similar shape and are made out of a similar light metal. These repeated shapes, colors, and materials add resonance to the movie.

There have been many theories, mostly fanciful or far-fetched, about the 17. My own theory has to do with 1 + 7 = 8, or the eighth month, the missing August. But it is as far-fetched as any of the others. Who knows, it may have been the propmaster's birthday (January 7)!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 02:18:00 am »
Whaddya think, Elle?

I love it!  A wonderful New Year's gift.  Thank you so much.  :)  I need a clapping emoticon!  Now I have an urge to see the medicine cabinet where Ennis takes out his toothbrush.  And the counter where he stuffs his thermos into his bag.  Never enough detail, never enough.  :D

I marvel at your prowess in doing this. 

P.S. to all -  I love our Open Forum.

I don't recollect the duffle bag by the door.  Can you remind me?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2006, 01:05:27 pm »
Aww, I love the salt & pepper!! Keep it up, goadra!!

BTW, there is also a vacuum cleaner with the water heater and the ironing board. And on the opposite wall is a sewing machine, a la Penelope.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2006, 01:14:38 pm »
Beer bottles, ash tray, and two bare feet ;D   Most excellent!

on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 03:29:27 pm »
I love the feet and beer bottles!  Go Barbara!!!  [Clapping, clapping hands emoticon]

How about a lighter by the window too? (JennyC's and Flashframe777's favorite shot.)

There is really nothing we know to put in the girls' room, is there?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2006, 03:32:52 pm »

Oooh, grammar! (confession time - in jr. high I thought diagramming sentences was some high-class entertainment. Weird but true...)

Fern, I think there are several grammar-lovers 'round these parts.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2006, 04:44:19 pm »
Oooh, the right kind of lighter!  :)  And those big toes are just right too.  :)

How about their marital bed?  ("I'd have 'em if you'ld spurt 'em.")  :D

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2006, 05:07:31 pm »
OK, speaking of the sheets, here's one that's kind of funny and I know from previous attempts to defend it is controversial: I think that when Ennis reads Jack's first postcard and then bolts from the kitchen and strides toward the back of the house, it implicitly illustrates the line, "I sure wrang it out a hundred times thinking about you."

I used to think of that too!  :D
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 02:12:41 am »
Well, sorry to burst a few bubbles, but Barbara's floor plan proves something for me--that when Ennis left the kitchen striding purposfully, he was going, not toward the bedroom, but toward the entrance. And I think he was heading in the direction of Linda Higgins' gift shop to buy a postcard and then to the post office to send it back to Jack saying "You bet."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 08:59:15 am »
Barbara, I love the postcard!  This is really fun.

Until recently, I had thought Ennis was redlining it straight to the post office (to buy the postcard there).  But I have come to realize that he is walking deeper into the apartment.  And maybe you all are right, he's heading to the shower to "warsh."  And really he does seem like a clean person - he probably usually takes a shower as soon as he comes home from work each day.

Barbara, maybe it would help to show the sink where Alma is standing, and the stove?  Also, I can't figure out why the salt and pepper shakers are where they are.  In the film, they are on the table with the half-empty sugar shaker between 'em.

Oh, I just noticed there's a vacuum cleaner now too.  This is great.  :)

Updated to add the important R to warsh.  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:09:38 am by Ellemeno »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 12:40:13 pm »
Just adding my applause to the chorus, Barbara! :D This is great. (The feet! The postcard! The toothbrush! The beer bottles!)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 02:45:16 pm »
Okay, the circles and arrows helped me see things right, Barbara. I'm just a Front-Ranger, if I can't see the mountains, I get my directions all mixed up!!

I know what you mean about the salt and pepper visible next to Alma, and, in fact, weren't they to be seen between her and her arm which she's using to prop herself up while cooking (LOL)?

There were also two cans with no labels there together and a bunch of things with handles.

When latjoreme came into town we were happily looking through the propmaster's book which EDelMar owns and trying to make connections. We were chagrined to discover that only the things that the actors touch are called props, and the rest of the, to us very important, items visibble in the movie are actually called "set decoration." I made a plea to Ennis to please get us the set decorator's book, and he said "I'll get right on it."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2007, 03:24:38 pm »
No, I think those belong to the sets dept. but I'll check with him!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 09:06:46 am »
In this photo, one of my favorites, the air would be a prop, but not the floor.  Look closely, closely...  Who can explain this?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2007, 09:01:25 pm »
Look closely, closely...  Who can explain this?

No miracle that Heath might perform would surprise me, at this point.  :laugh:

Barbara, I'm just catching up on this thread, but allow me to add my voice to the chorus of kudos!  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2007, 12:36:16 pm »
My feeling is that the economic straits of Ennis or Jack/Ennis are just another hurdle, like homophobia and self-doubt, put in the way of Jack and Ennis being together. Jack loved Ennis and that is the simple reason why he wanted to get out of Texas--he loved Wyoming primarily because Ennis was there and their memories were there. Nothing else mattered.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2007, 10:07:46 am »
What's with all the thermoses and other containers in the Del Mar household??

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2007, 10:38:27 am »
If water symbolizes love, then Ennis needs a lot of containers to store up water between fishing trips.

Alternatively, Ennis may need a lot of containers for coffee for long days with the animals.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2007, 12:12:12 am »
It is amazing that there are new things to find out no matter how many times you watch.

I also always thought that Ennis was going straight to the post office.  I never noticed until I read it here that he went further into the apartment.

To take a shower....
Or to the think and imagine by himself?

Makes the reunion kiss so much less surprising.

But I did notice the thermos.  It looks likes the ones LLBean sell.  Actually maybe too expensive for Ennis and Alma. Why would he have it? Just for "fishing" trips?

Curious, like the knife set later in the trailer. I have been wondering about those too.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:42:35 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2007, 10:43:51 pm »
If water symbolizes love, then Ennis needs a lot of containers to store up water between fishing trips.

Alternatively, Ennis may need a lot of containers for coffee for long days with the animals.

I think you are right!!  :'(

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2007, 06:22:07 pm »
Early in the story, Aguirre points to Jack with a CHOP of his hand and says that the HERDER is goin a sleep in a pup tent a hunderd percent. In the movie, Jack can be seen relaxing by the fire, with an AX HANDLE behind him, appearing to come out of his head.  :'( Also, in the movie, Ennis saws patiently on the trunk of a tree while Jack whacks at it with an ax. And then there's the scene where Aguirre rides up while Jack is chopping wood, and Ennis's saw is lying at the side.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 10:11:44 am »
Here's another example of the POM synergy: Annie Proulx brings in a wire clothes hanger during the fight at the lake scene to talk about how a hanger can be used to unlock a car door, then bent back into its original shape. Director Ang Lee shows the hanger in the closet holding the shirts, and has Ennis press them into his face when he embraces the shirts. It reappears at the very end, holding the shirts on a nail. The hook of the hanger is like a question mark, leaving the end of the movie ambiguous.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2007, 10:21:44 pm »
Just to reiterate, "POM" in this sense means the Proulx/Ossana/McMurtry synergy. Can you find examples where something in the story was worked into the screenplay, but in a different place or way? I'll bet there are at least a hunderd examples!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 12:22:46 pm »
Here's an example. This is a line from the story that was translated into the movie in a different place and way. Can anyone guess where this appears in the movie?

" ...a bandy-legged Basque showed Ennis how to pack the mules--two packs and a riding load on each animal, ring-lashed with double diamonds and secured with half hitches...."

Now, think outside the box everybody!!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2007, 02:25:27 pm »
I finally got around to looking up the definition of "bandy-legged," which means bowlegged... so I'll guess the little cowboy-and-horse figurine that Ennis discovered in Jack's bedroom in Lightning Flat.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2007, 02:37:41 pm »
That's very good FRiend FRan! A very poignant connection! I'm also reminded of the movie Little Big Man, where Gen. Custer looked down upon our hero and pronounced him a mule-skinner, because of his bandy legs. He went on to hire him on as a mule skinner for the famous battle...

But I digress...the POM synergy I was thinking of here has to do with the double diamond lashing. Does that ring a bell?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2007, 03:42:51 pm »
HERE are the double diamond half-hitches as seen in the movie!! Other translations/references are welcome!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2007, 04:38:53 pm »
FRLee, I don't remember seeing the lacing on Jack's jacket.  I guess it's time to rewatch my DVD.  Ah, any excuse....

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2007, 04:54:42 pm »
Ennis often appeared with packs or thermoses, and his shirts were usually all buttoned up. Let's explore how this is conveyed in the story.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2007, 04:55:11 pm »

Oh that jacket is my favorite piece of costume in the whole movie...I wanted that so bad, but I never did see it on any of the auctions...NOT LIKE I COULD AFFORD IT ANYWAY....it probably would have sold if the other things were indicators for 7=10 thousand dollars...

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2007, 04:58:38 pm »
I covet it too Janice!! How I would love to have the arms of that jacket encircling me!!

and now we also see that Jack is RING-LASHED!!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2007, 05:00:26 pm »
And we also see by the liberal use of brown in Jack's costuming that he is totally ape-shit over Ennis!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2007, 05:03:58 pm »
Here's that Ennis again and his dumb-ass mules and packs

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2007, 07:04:33 pm »
Okay, here's another request for an example of synergy between the movie and the story. Annie Proulx writes about the "sweet salty stink" of Jack and Ennis knows the "salty words" to the song Strawberry Roan. How is this translated into the visuals of the movie??

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2007, 02:15:15 pm »
Okay, I'll tell you this time. 'Member, as Jack rides up after a hard day in the saddle (or a hard nite in the cat-piss tent) how Ennis is just finishing up the cooking, by salting the food in the iron skillet? And he's not sure if any salt is coming out, maybe the salt got wet and is all clogged up, or maybe the holes got clogged up, so he "salts" his glove? Ennis's salt shaker appears later on in the story too, at pivotal points!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2008, 02:31:48 pm »
On a similar note, I would put Ang Lee's direction into account, too. There are some scenes which I find particulary well transferred from story to movie. For example when they head up the mountain at the beginning:

From story:
"Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber ..."

This is really what it looked like. I saw the movie first and when this scene was shown, at first I thought indeed it was water running down the mountain, instead of a flow of sheep heading up the mountain.
I was surprised to read the description in the story later. I attach a picture of this scene.

Yep, full agreement here. And, as I said befoe, I think Ang Lee belongs with them.

Good point, Chrissi! And did you know that there really is a river that (seems to) flow uphill in Wyoming? It is the Wind River, which flows northward for many miles. You'll be seeing it when you attend the Roundup!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Ang Lee and the POM synergy
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 09:49:59 pm »
Annie says: "...but the truck broke down short of it, pitching him directly into ranch work."

And Larry/Diana said,"It'll pitch you off your horse and you'll wish you hadn't tried."

And what did Ennis do when he came down from the mountain? He got a job with Timmy, putting pitch on the road!!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2009, 04:09:48 pm »
Another example where something from the story is transferred to another place in the movie:

The widening water between Ennis and Alma from the story is transferred visually to widening water between Ennis and Jack at the lake side argument.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2009, 07:58:36 pm »
Annie Proulx wrote "He could smell Jack--the intensely familiar odor of cigarettes, musky sweat, and a faint sweetness like grass, and with it the rushing cold of the mountain."

And Ang Lee showed us a rushing stream crowned with snowcaps. He also showed us green grass. Where? Out the window in the very last scene of the movie.