Author Topic: Ang Lee and the POM synergy  (Read 20974 times)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
Re: Directions and the POM synergy
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2006, 05:07:31 pm »
OK, speaking of the sheets, here's one that's kind of funny and I know from previous attempts to defend it is controversial: I think that when Ennis reads Jack's first postcard and then bolts from the kitchen and strides toward the back of the house, it implicitly illustrates the line, "I sure wrang it out a hundred times thinking about you."

I used to think of that too!  :D
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 02:12:41 am »
Well, sorry to burst a few bubbles, but Barbara's floor plan proves something for me--that when Ennis left the kitchen striding purposfully, he was going, not toward the bedroom, but toward the entrance. And I think he was heading in the direction of Linda Higgins' gift shop to buy a postcard and then to the post office to send it back to Jack saying "You bet."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 08:59:15 am »
Barbara, I love the postcard!  This is really fun.

Until recently, I had thought Ennis was redlining it straight to the post office (to buy the postcard there).  But I have come to realize that he is walking deeper into the apartment.  And maybe you all are right, he's heading to the shower to "warsh."  And really he does seem like a clean person - he probably usually takes a shower as soon as he comes home from work each day.

Barbara, maybe it would help to show the sink where Alma is standing, and the stove?  Also, I can't figure out why the salt and pepper shakers are where they are.  In the film, they are on the table with the half-empty sugar shaker between 'em.

Oh, I just noticed there's a vacuum cleaner now too.  This is great.  :)

Updated to add the important R to warsh.  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:09:38 am by Ellemeno »

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 12:40:13 pm »
Just adding my applause to the chorus, Barbara! :D This is great. (The feet! The postcard! The toothbrush! The beer bottles!)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 02:45:16 pm »
Okay, the circles and arrows helped me see things right, Barbara. I'm just a Front-Ranger, if I can't see the mountains, I get my directions all mixed up!!

I know what you mean about the salt and pepper visible next to Alma, and, in fact, weren't they to be seen between her and her arm which she's using to prop herself up while cooking (LOL)?

There were also two cans with no labels there together and a bunch of things with handles.

When latjoreme came into town we were happily looking through the propmaster's book which EDelMar owns and trying to make connections. We were chagrined to discover that only the things that the actors touch are called props, and the rest of the, to us very important, items visibble in the movie are actually called "set decoration." I made a plea to Ennis to please get us the set decorator's book, and he said "I'll get right on it."

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2007, 03:24:38 pm »
No, I think those belong to the sets dept. but I'll check with him!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 09:06:46 am »
In this photo, one of my favorites, the air would be a prop, but not the floor.  Look closely, closely...  Who can explain this?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2007, 09:01:25 pm »
Look closely, closely...  Who can explain this?

No miracle that Heath might perform would surprise me, at this point.  :laugh:

Barbara, I'm just catching up on this thread, but allow me to add my voice to the chorus of kudos!  :D

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2007, 12:36:16 pm »
My feeling is that the economic straits of Ennis or Jack/Ennis are just another hurdle, like homophobia and self-doubt, put in the way of Jack and Ennis being together. Jack loved Ennis and that is the simple reason why he wanted to get out of Texas--he loved Wyoming primarily because Ennis was there and their memories were there. Nothing else mattered.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2007, 10:07:46 am »
What's with all the thermoses and other containers in the Del Mar household??