Author Topic: Ang Lee and the POM synergy  (Read 21018 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Directions and the POM synergy
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2007, 10:38:27 am »
If water symbolizes love, then Ennis needs a lot of containers to store up water between fishing trips.

Alternatively, Ennis may need a lot of containers for coffee for long days with the animals.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2007, 12:12:12 am »
It is amazing that there are new things to find out no matter how many times you watch.

I also always thought that Ennis was going straight to the post office.  I never noticed until I read it here that he went further into the apartment.

To take a shower....
Or to the think and imagine by himself?

Makes the reunion kiss so much less surprising.

But I did notice the thermos.  It looks likes the ones LLBean sell.  Actually maybe too expensive for Ennis and Alma. Why would he have it? Just for "fishing" trips?

Curious, like the knife set later in the trailer. I have been wondering about those too.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:42:35 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2007, 10:43:51 pm »
If water symbolizes love, then Ennis needs a lot of containers to store up water between fishing trips.

Alternatively, Ennis may need a lot of containers for coffee for long days with the animals.

I think you are right!!  :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2007, 06:22:07 pm »
Early in the story, Aguirre points to Jack with a CHOP of his hand and says that the HERDER is goin a sleep in a pup tent a hunderd percent. In the movie, Jack can be seen relaxing by the fire, with an AX HANDLE behind him, appearing to come out of his head.  :'( Also, in the movie, Ennis saws patiently on the trunk of a tree while Jack whacks at it with an ax. And then there's the scene where Aguirre rides up while Jack is chopping wood, and Ennis's saw is lying at the side.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 10:11:44 am »
Here's another example of the POM synergy: Annie Proulx brings in a wire clothes hanger during the fight at the lake scene to talk about how a hanger can be used to unlock a car door, then bent back into its original shape. Director Ang Lee shows the hanger in the closet holding the shirts, and has Ennis press them into his face when he embraces the shirts. It reappears at the very end, holding the shirts on a nail. The hook of the hanger is like a question mark, leaving the end of the movie ambiguous.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2007, 10:21:44 pm »
Just to reiterate, "POM" in this sense means the Proulx/Ossana/McMurtry synergy. Can you find examples where something in the story was worked into the screenplay, but in a different place or way? I'll bet there are at least a hunderd examples!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 12:22:46 pm »
Here's an example. This is a line from the story that was translated into the movie in a different place and way. Can anyone guess where this appears in the movie?

" ...a bandy-legged Basque showed Ennis how to pack the mules--two packs and a riding load on each animal, ring-lashed with double diamonds and secured with half hitches...."

Now, think outside the box everybody!!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2007, 02:25:27 pm »
I finally got around to looking up the definition of "bandy-legged," which means bowlegged... so I'll guess the little cowboy-and-horse figurine that Ennis discovered in Jack's bedroom in Lightning Flat.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2007, 02:37:41 pm »
That's very good FRiend FRan! A very poignant connection! I'm also reminded of the movie Little Big Man, where Gen. Custer looked down upon our hero and pronounced him a mule-skinner, because of his bandy legs. He went on to hire him on as a mule skinner for the famous battle...

But I digress...the POM synergy I was thinking of here has to do with the double diamond lashing. Does that ring a bell?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2007, 03:42:51 pm »
HERE are the double diamond half-hitches as seen in the movie!! Other translations/references are welcome!