Author Topic: The Chris Memorial Thread  (Read 16686 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Chris
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 10:56:30 am »
Thank you, Shea, for informing us. My heart goes out to you and the family. Please accept our sympathy, prayers, and wishes. Does your announcement mean that Chris has died? Could you please be more clear? What was the cause of death? We would be very grateful if you could just give us a little more detail about our friend. Thank you.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 11:05:37 am »

I'm so sorry to hear of this! It's a reminder to all of us of the shortness, uncertainty, and preciousness of all our lives.

Because all of us bettermosters are experiencing some grief over this loss, I want to say a few words about death and dying, based on the research of Elizabeth Kubler-Ross.

Using the story and movie of Brokeback Mountain, we can illustrate the five stages of death and dying; these five stages apply equally to grief.

1.) Denial - Upon receiving the postcard marked, "Deceased," Ennis went to a nearby pay phone to call Jack, thinking, "This would be alright, Jack would answer, had to answer."

2.) Anger - Jack did not answer. When Lureen confirmed that Jack really was dead, Ennis began to feel anger at her: "He wanted to curse her for letting Jack die on the dirt road."

3.) Bargaining - Ennis hoped to find comfort by fulfilling Jack's wish to have his ashes scattered on Brokeback Mountain. He did not get the ashes, but at least he got the shirts, making a shrine of them.

4.) Depression - The shirts were a cold comfort. Ennis faced life in his lonely trailer, knowing he had lost the love of his life, without ever having realized that he had been the love of his life.

5.) Acceptance - Ennis learned that loving and being loved is the most important thing in life, asking Alma, Jr. if Curt loves her, and deciding to attend their wedding. Ennis's dreams of Jack were his grief and solace. Sometimes the pillow was wet, sometimes the sheets.

These five stages are universal, and each person has to pass through them in our own time. Sometimes we move through them backwards and forwards, and no one can tell anyone else how it must be done or how long it should take. "If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it."
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 11:08:15 am »
Just got the news.  I'm saddened, but also a bit angry at the hospital and doctors that allowed this to happen....  well, more than "a bit."

I didn't know Chris very well, but I remember his wonderful sense of humor.  I marvel now at that, now that I know a bit more of his history.  Here was a man who kept a positive attitude, who refused to become bitter, even after experiences that would leave others pale and defeated.

Victoria:  You were a true friend to Chris, and thanks to you, the rest of us were able to keep up-to-date in his last weeks.  More importantly, Chris knew that you were his strongest link  back to his friends here at Bettermost, and knew of your love for him.

I don't mean to negate the grief of others here, but I'm guessing Chris' passing will hit you hardest.  I'm reminded of a line from Terrence McNally's play "Andre's Mother," in which a character says of his recently departed loved one,

"His absence is a thing....  a palpable thing."  I think you'll understand that line more deeply than most.

So to everyone else, I'm asking that all of us here rally around Victoria, to offer your support and love.  You'd do it anyway, without my asking, but I wanted (needed?) to ask it all the same.

If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 12:32:11 pm »
In re:  Funeral?

perhaps you can tell us where the obituary is posted, and if there is a memorial gift that people can send, or flowers, etc.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 12:41:45 pm »
perhaps you can tell us where the obituary is posted, and if there is a memorial gift that people can send, or flowers, etc.

Yes. I've been thinking about Chris's little boy all morning. He came into the world right about the time when I arrived at Bettermost, and, well... it's hard for one person to raise a kid alone. Hard emotionally, most definitely, but also hard financially. If there's anything that I (we?) can do financially, I would like to help.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 01:23:54 pm »
Last night when I read that Chris was gone I was so shocked I was at a complete lost for words. I had to log off and try to grasp what I had just read.  Today I am still in shock but I want to send some personal condolences.

First to Chris's family. My heart goes out to all of you.
To Chris's mother; I pray hardest for you. the worse thing that can happen to a mother is losing a child.. The pain must be unbearable. I pray that you will be able to get through this .Thank God you have a little grandson to take care of.

To all of you that were close to Chris;  My condolences to you for losing your friend. Friends are gifts.They can never be replaced.

To Victoria:  I know this news has hit you hard. You and Chris shared what i think was the strongest bond on these boards. We have all had a chance to relize that in the last month or so.  I think it was a combination of being a friend, Aunt or maybe even being a bit of a mother to him. What ever the friendship was to both of you,  I know it was a special one.  .Thank God  Chris did have such a wonderful friend as he had in you. My heart goes out to you. I hope you too will be able to heal in time.

If anyone has any ideas how we can help the family please post them. I really feel like doing something for them. Or even putting on some kind of special memorial day for Chris. So we too can have some closure.

Geri
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:01:08 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Wayne

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 02:01:49 pm »
i'm sure he'll check in on you all from time to time.
:'(    I'm so sorry - I'm confused - do you mean that he died? I'm so sorry, I don't understand!
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 02:51:18 pm »
i just read this very sad news.
i know that he will be sadly missed by many, many people
i'd would like to offer my condolences to his family and friends.

Fabienne
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 03:40:00 pm »
I'm beside myself with this news.  Shea, my heart goes out to you and your family.  Victoria, my heart goes out to you, too, honey.  I'm wrapping my love around you all right now and will be for some time to come.

Chris was a special light, and the world is a lot darker without him.

No more beans!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2006, 03:55:25 pm »
Just got home and I don't know what to say.  Words fail me right now.  I need to process this and I will post then.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich