Author Topic: "closet" BBM fans  (Read 5596 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "closet" BBM fans
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 08:20:42 am »
Every friend I've taken to see it I told I've seen it before and thought it was so wonderful that I wanted to see it again with them.  I didn't tell more than a couple of friends that it was 10, 20, 30 times before.

For me, my reticence has nothing to do with the content.  I live in an open-minded area, and as far as I know, none of my friends are anything but gay-friendly and/or gay.  No, I keep quiet about it because I'm embarrassed to be so obsessed about anything this much.

I'm kind of with you on this. People know I've seen BBM more than once, but nobody knows it was (only  ;)) 8 times.. I keep them in the dark. Though, having named my new cat 'Brokie' could easily make them understand how far obsessed I got..  ;D But to most people asking me about the name, I just say it's because of a film I like.. They then nod knowingly (or not, actually) and don't bother asking which film. Nobody knows the exact reason for my travelling to London in two weeks time (EURO Brokie meeting). I've been to London often lately, so it's easier to just pretend this is a normal London-sightseeing-shopping trip.. Nobody ever knew why or even that I went to London for one day in the middle of the week on January 5th - my first BMM viewing! I couldn't wait for it to be released in Brussels.

Yesterday I went to the cinema with a friend (with whom I'd seen BBM a few months ago) to see "Bashing" (disturbing and powerful movie!). It's an 'arty' cinema (see flyer below) and I was positively surprised to see that they show BBM! I thought it was gone for good from Brussels cinema screens. I said "Oh BBM!" and my friend just had this kind of mocking look on her face. I don't mind...  ;)

Like you Clarissa, I'm more shy about the fact that I 'obsess' about something - especially when it's 'just' a film. In my surrounding I'm expected to 'obsess', if at all, about less irrelevant things.. I have one friend though (we've been friends for a while, but I only found out she's madly obsessing about George Clooney and other celebrities and stuff, in February - she even changed her London plans in February so she could join me on my BAFTA spree in February this year) who would probably understand my obsession. But I haven't really felt the need to tell her about how much I obsess about BBM.

j. U. d. E.

-> this is not 'Brokie' but her son 'Sayif' meaning 'summer', as in 1963.. ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 08:31:42 am by j. U. d. E. »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 09:11:52 am »
I've gotten that - "YOU liked that movie?"  But the people I've gotten it from are a couple of the gay men I work with.  Fortunately I work in a fairly liberal, relatively gay-friendly environment, so there aren't too many people around who are openly homophobic.  Lucky for them, because I've become a real pain in the ass about homophobia in any form lately.

All the folks I've worked with and known for years know all about my little movie (and otherwise) obsessions.  I'm one of those people who isn't good at hiding whole parts of myself from others - in fact I don't even try.  Maybe they whisper behind my back about what a colossal flake I am.  OK, probably they do.  But that doesn't stop them from coming and asking me whether I recommend a movie they're thinking about seeing or what I thought of one they just saw.

As we've talked about before, I've had some vast disappointments in terms of friends I was sure would be deeply moved by this movie who just... weren't.  But I've had some happy surprises, too.  One was in the form of a longtime friend - a married straight guy who had said some marginally homophobic things in the past and had joked that he "wouldn't ever be seeing 'that' movie."  His wife convinced him to and they both loved it.  I think he thought I was a little (lot?) off for a long time after it came out and I was so ga-ga over it, and then so infuriated when it didn't win the Oscar.  He even tried to sugar-coat its loss, not having seen either it or "Crash."  Pissed me off.  Then he saw "Crash."  And said, "Ew."  Then he saw "Brokeback," which I truly never thought would happen, and he said, "You're right.  They were robbed."  Sounds trivial, but I can't tell you how happy his saying that made me.  And I've noticed he doesn't say little homophobic things anymore - at least not around me.  What I like to hope most of all is that it changed the way he thinks.  I believe it did.

Getting back to the matter at hand, I think there are closet fans.  I think he's one of them.  And every now and then someone (not me, I swear!) will bring up the movie in mixed company, and someone I didn't know had seen it will say, "Yeah, that was a GREAT movie."  I don't pursue it with them, usually, but I wonder if they've secretly seen it "more than once" and secretly still mourn Jack.
No more beans!

iluvchocolate

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 11:05:55 am »
I've gotten that - "YOU liked that movie?"  But the people I've gotten it from are a couple of the gay men I work with.  Fortunately I work in a fairly liberal, relatively gay-friendly environment, so there aren't too many people around who are openly homophobic.  Lucky for them, because I've become a real pain in the ass about homophobia in any form lately.

All the folks I've worked with and known for years know all about my little movie (and otherwise) obsessions.  I'm one of those people who isn't good at hiding whole parts of myself from others - in fact I don't even try.  Maybe they whisper behind my back about what a colossal flake I am.  OK, probably they do.  But that doesn't stop them from coming and asking me whether I recommend a movie they're thinking about seeing or what I thought of one they just saw.
The people that questioned me don't hang up with me on a regular bases.  I was sorta forced to hang out with her cause she was in my class at the time.  I was telling another classmate in class about the movie and the fact the my husband had seen it too and we had both liked it.   She tackled me when I had said my husband had saw it and actually liked it.  I told her my husband had had an open mind about this movie.  And it turned out he enjoyed the movie!  But she twisted what I said and made it sound like cause mky husband liked it that there was "something wrong" with him and me.   Now she is the type of to make people think that her ways is the only way to be. 

She is why we have closet bbm fans.  Cause people in this world believe that we should think and act their way and not our own.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 01:53:52 pm »
If folks can handle Will & Grace, they can handle BBM.  In fact, the only nudity in the film that stays on screen for more than a second is from a female character.  You can see more sexual content on an episode of CSI. 
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming