Author Topic: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today  (Read 31748 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today
« on: September 04, 2006, 01:59:25 am »
Not sure even how many people knew of Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter)... rumour has it that he was rather popular in the US - don't know about our European brokies.

Unfortunately, he was killed earlier today filming a documentary on the Great Barrier Reef. He copped a sting-ray barb to the chest and died before paramedics arrived.

Personally, I was a great supporter of Steve. My son and I met him at the Australia Zoo (couple of hours north of Brisbane, where I live) and yes, he is EXACTLY the same is person as you've seen on TV. The man had a zest and passion for life that I don't think I've ever seen before. He had a gift for working with animals and using his very down-to-earth personality to charm the pants off the people he met.  I am really saddened by his death. The world has lost an amazing person.

Full story here:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/steve-irwin-killed-by-stingray/2006/09/04/1157222051512.html

Steve, with wife, Terri and a croc.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 06:31:37 am by hungry_hungryhippos »
Chut up!

injest

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Killed Today
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 02:08:14 am »
I saw this on another thread and checked the CNN website...so sad..he was still very young..

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 02:11:29 am »
I agree Sheyne, people either loved or hated his over-the-top exuberance.  I was in the latter until I saw an interview with him and his love of life and for his family in particular was overwhelming and endearing, even if he was sometimes seemed more in the "fools-rush-in" category.  I'm also shocked and saddened by the loss of this amazing and passionate man.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 02:38:21 am »
Oh God No!!! This can't be true!! I loved Steve Irwin!!!

I am so sorry for Steve's family, friends and for the people of Australia. He was an icon!

:'( :'( :'( I am so sorry and sad to hear this news!!  :'( :'( :'(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 02:57:10 am »
Oh God No!!! This can't be true!! I loved Steve Irwin!!!

I am so sorry for Steve's family, friends and for the people of Australia. He was an icon!

:'( :'( :'( I am so sorry and sad to hear this news!!  :'( :'( :'(

There are a lot of people who feel his loss today..  :'(

"Flabbergasted" is the word I would use to describe my reaction to the news. It just didn't seem possible. Steve's just one of those people you kinda figured would be around forever. He did so much for promoting Australia and tourism here. He was a wonderful ambassador for our country and he will be mourned by many for a long time. I just hope his kids grow up knowing what an incredible man their dad was.

Still can't believe it, really.  :'(
Chut up!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 03:11:29 am »
There are a lot of people who feel his loss today..  :'(

"Flabbergasted" is the word I would use to describe my reaction to the news. It just didn't seem possible. Steve's just one of those people you kinda figured would be around forever. He did so much for promoting Australia and tourism here. He was a wonderful ambassador for our country and he will be mourned by many for a long time. I just hope his kids grow up knowing what an incredible man their dad was.

Still can't believe it, really.  :'(

I'd imagine Animal Planet here in the U.S. will be airing alot of information about Steve, his work and his life during the next few weeks. His shows air on Animal Planet all the time. I am really going to miss him. And I agree with  you. I also hope his kids grow up knowing what a wonderful man he was.

I just can't believe this!  :'(

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 07:22:55 am »
Yes we are all in dis-belief at the moment.....Australia and the world have lost a good bloke....

At aged 44, he had done so much but there is no doubt, he still had much more to do......damn too young and with a lovely family who will never be able to replace him.

How I wish we could turn back the clock to just last night, so Steve could start tomorrow differently than he did today....

Rest in peace, Steve Irwin.......you will be missed
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 07:43:03 am »
My boyfriend called from downstairs this morning Guess who died? It was on national news in Holland this morning and I heard that his wife doesn't even know yet, because she is somewhere where she can't be reached! I couldn't believe it and I am very sad about it. What a way to go, though... :'(

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 08:22:25 am »

I've just finished watching a repeat of an interview Steve gave on a TV program here a few years ago.  My mum and I were hysterically laughing in parts cause the guy was so funny and straight to the point (fumbling over describing the size of his then-very pregnant wife.. eventually settling for "she's bloody big") and then in other parts we just broke down crying. Hearing him talk with such passion about preserving wild life and pouring millions of his dollars into purchasing land so that crocs and snakes would have somewhere to live...

This is such a sad day. The world truly has lost one of its great men. 
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 08:37:45 am »
This is such a sad day. The world truly has lost one of its great men. 

I agree.  I'm just gobsmacked about this.  Will is a major "Wiggles" fan, and "Wiggly Safari" with Steve Irwin is his favorite of many, many of their videos.  Like Chris, I didn't fully appreciate him until I watched this one for the first time with Will.  His wife and daughter are in it, and his passion and love for them is palpable.  When you see that this is truly what he was like in every aspect of his life, you can't help but like him.

The world was definitely more interesting (and beautiful and bursting with life) with him in it.

:'(
No more beans!

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 09:04:26 am »
I find it really interesting he was far better known outside of Australia than in it.  I've lived in Australia all my life and had never even heard of him until that episode a year or so ago when he held one of his children above a crocodile enclosure.  And I only heard of him then because that incident was all over the news.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 11:42:39 am »
It certianly made me stop in my tracks this morning when I heard the news.  Steve was such a champion for conservation.  He found a way to get even some of the least conservation minded people to watch his shows.  His willingness and JOY in wrestling with crocodiles and exploring the natural world brought the concept of protection and conservation to many people who before just did not care.  The conservation world has lost a major champion and a great man.  My condolences to his wife and children. 
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 11:57:05 am »
OMG!!!!  The guy was pretty popular in the U.S. as well. I used to watch his shows all the time when they first started airing in the U.S.   I loved his casual enthusiasm, though we all used to wonder why he got so close to such deadly animals when he was in the middle of nowhere.  He even made a Fed Ex commercial about it, making fun of him suddenly croaking over a late package of snake serum.

SOOOOOOOOOOO sad!!!

He was one of a kind and I can only hope that his family takes comfort in the fact that he was doing the work he loved and that he reached many many people with his message of conservation and love of Australia.

He will be missed and remembered.  :( :( :(

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 12:28:32 pm »
This is very sad news.  I always thought he was a bit crazy and took too many chances, but he was a charmer.  Hearing of all his work with conservation makes me even sadder he's gone so soon.   Go with God, Steve.  :'(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline whiteoutofthemoon

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 12:54:52 pm »
I was truly shocked too when I heard it on the late news last nite.   While we all appreciated his enthusiasm and zest for life, what is more tragic is that the world has lost a true-hearted conservationalist and nature-lover, someone who brought awareness and appreciation of nature to millions.   He was great entertainment, but I think the world suffers more at the loss of such a staunch defender and supporter of science and education, as well as preserving our planet.

I think, however, Brokies will feel the significance of his loss even more....what we have learned from our movie is that life is short......live it to the fullest, it can be ripped away in an instant.
"They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.  Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the whiteoutofthemoon."

Will-U

"The Crocodile Hunter" & "Will"?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 03:20:05 pm »
I agree.  I'm just gobsmacked about this.  Will is a major "Wiggles" fan, and "Wiggly Safari" with Steve Irwin is his favorite of many, many of their videos.  Like Chris, I didn't fully appreciate him until I watched this one for the first time with Will..............

Will?  "Wiggles"?  Who's that?  Is there another Will here at BM Forum besides me?  If so, it's newz to this Will!?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheyne, U have our appreciation for all of the 411 and the great photo.  Steve Irwin ("S.I.") is very popular in America!  It wasn't mentioned here but his lovely wife Terri is American.  BTW, we never considered S.I. "over-the-top"!  A lot of personality and enthusiasm is most desireable in real life, especially in the entertainment field.  Steve's exuberance added greatly to his uniqueness, appeal and success.

Oh, Sheyne, thanx also 4 your wonderful "exuberant" e-mails yda & tdy.  Cud U bring a postcard of S.I. from Australia when we C U in NYC in 19 days? :)

Luv 'n' life,
Will & Dre

---------------------------------------------------------
P.S.  Thanx to the subsequent explanatory 411
from both Barb 'n' Sheyne.  U galz never told
me U each have a son "Will" w/ my namesake. 
That's swell!!  My grandfather Will lived to 96!
Cheerio,
Will ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 05:25:13 pm by Will-U »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: "The Crocodile Hunter" & Will?
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 04:08:29 pm »
Will?  "Wiggles"?  Who's that?  Is there another Will here at BM Forum besides me?  If so, it's newz to this Will!?

Will is my four-year-old son.  Sorry to talk about him so familiarly there, like every single person reading this is behooved to already know who he is.  ;)

No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 05:07:14 pm »
F*cking horrible news!  :(
I watched his shows quite a few times on telly.
He was fearless, I used to get nervous just watching him do some of the things he did.

So sad. 

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "The Crocodile Hunter" & Will?
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 05:10:48 pm »

Just so you know, Will, Barb has a little boy called Will.  And so do I! I think my Will is a little bit older than her Will - my Will is nearly 7.  And yes, still a big Wiggles fan.  Will, go and Google "The Wiggles". They are a group of children's entertainers from Australia. And they are waaay cool.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheyne, U have our appreciation for all of the 411 and the great photo.  Steve Irwin ("S.I.") is very popular in America!  It wasn't mentioned here but his lovely wife Terri is American.  BTW, we never considered S.I. "over-the-top"!  A lot of personality and enthusiasm is most desireable in real life, especially in the entertainment field.  Steve's exuberance added greatly to his uniqueness, appeal and success.

Oh, Sheyne, thanx also 4 your wonderful "exuberant" e-mails yda & tdy.  Cud U bring a postcard of S.I. from Australia when we C U in NYC in 19 days? :)

I surely will, Will. I have a feeling there is going to be no shortage of Steve memorabilia available here.  :'(  He was killed only yesterday morning and yet, they had a 2 hour tribute on tv last night, with another to come tonight and then the "big" Steve memorial on Wednesday night.  

There is such a sense of loss here in Australia.  God knows I had a big cry last night. We, as a public, were only just beginning to fall in love with him the way you guys in the US did.  Me?  I just remember that lively, fluffy-haired, energetic fellow who said "beauty" and "crikey" a lot from the zoo when Will was just a toddler.  He'd talk to anyone about anything...  as long as it was crocs, snakes, animals or conservation! :-\  
Chut up!

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 07:21:23 pm »
I read this about Steve Irwin this morning. I have "Animal Planet" for a few months now and I enjoy the channel very much. But I am sorry to say, that each time he was on, I zapped. I found him rather irritating, but without knowing him really. So this morning when I read the news, I thought, I know this guy, I know him! Then I remembered "Animal Planet". I'm sorry I didn't take more time to find out about his documentaries..

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Katie77

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 08:24:34 pm »
I think we have all learned a lot more about Steve Irwin, since yesterday.....

His work for conservation,his generosity with the money he earned and the time he gave to wildlife preservation.......

I guess we had all heard at different times about the work that he was doing, but it seems different hearing it now, because we know he will not be here to continue with it......I guess its like a lot of things that we just accept and take for granted, until it is gone, we dont appreciate it like we should have.

Thank God, he was not like that, that he didnt just accept things as they were, and that he didnt take things for granted, he worked to change things, and he realized that if we didnt take care of our environment and wildlife, that they too would disappear from our lives.

I guess he was proably more popular and well known in America,because us Aussies, just accepted him as "another" aussie, with an infectious personality, and an adventurous spirit.....like our kangaroos and koalas, we thought of Steve, as just another Aussie icon......

How proud I am today, that we had such a fine bloke in our midst, and how sad I am, that his life has been cut so short....I am absolutely gutted, and I have cried many tears, over this terrible terrible loss.

On the same news bulletin in Australia today, there was a report on the arrest of two fishermen, who last week, shot and killed 40 seals, who were living in their natural habitat in southern Australia......(need I say more of the irony and the anger i was feeling).....

Today, this planet, is one good bloke short, may we all take something positive out of this, and use it to make things better.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 06:47:23 pm »
So sad about those seals Katie. Why does man enjoy killing so much? That is one thing I'll never understand. And note: I don't mean all mankind. But killing seems to be second nature to many.

It's so sad about Steve Irwin.  Not really surprising as most of the time I watched him I was a nervous wreck. He would get so close to these dangerous and poisonous animals that I would have to look away. Especially when he would be right next to a hissing snake and turn and talk into the camera. I would find myself screaming "watch what your doing! your crazy!!" Well in words close to that anyways. But he always scared me. It was worse than watching a horror flick because you knew these were real animals and anything could happen at any moment. I guess just like it did in the end.

.But the good thing is... he lived more in 44 years than most do a whole lifetime. God Bless.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 08:28:05 pm »
Go to:

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/1401993295

to see the below:

Animal Planet, and the entire Discovery Communications family, suffered a crushing loss this week when Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray while filming in Australia. Our thoughts are with his wife and children and the people who worked with him to bring conservation to the attention of people around the globe. The world will miss you, Steve!

The Steve Irwin Memorial Message Board
(Please note that due to the incredible volume of people posting to this message board, access may be slow.)

The Main Memorial Page

Statement from Billy Campbell, President, Discovery Networks, U.S. Discovery Communications, Inc.

Steve in Pictures

Steve Irwin, in His Own Words

The Wildlife Warrior

Special Programming Schedule: Steve on Animal Planet

Where to Make a Contribution

From Discovery News: Stingray Injuries Are Rarely Fatal

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Irwin family refuse offer of a state funeral
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 01:51:50 am »
It's a pitty really, because [IMHO] funerals are for the people left behind, not the person who died, and there are a lot of people who would have liked to pay their respects (unlike that awful Germaine Greer).  But I don't understand why the media keep asking his family what Steve would have made of all the fuss...  Jesus people!  They're traumatised enough already, what do you expect them to say?  Anyway, I guess those closest to him deserve their privacy and time to grieve.

One thing though, as endearing as it may be for his dad to say that Steve was "an ordinary bloke", well love him or hate him (yes I'm looking at you Germaine) that's just not how the world saw him and it's certainly not the impression that he has left on the planet.  What's going to be hard for us is that there are still many hours of footage of him that are yet to be aired, but apparently will be.  Bindi's television series will go ahead next year, and there are quite a few episodes that will have Steve in them.  There's even a advertising campaign that was about to start in Australia next month that also will go ahead.  It's going to be strange watching them, like coming back from the dead (like Brandon Lee in The Crow).

But for now...

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1319652006

Irwin family refuse offer of a state funeral
DENNIS PASSA IN BEERWAH, AUSTRALIA

"CROCODILE Hunter" Steve Irwin would not have wanted a state funeral because he wanted to be remembered as "an ordinary bloke," the television star's father said yesterday.

In the first public comments by Irwin's family since the hugely popular naturalist was killed by a stingray, Bob Irwin thanked his son's fans for their messages of support, and said his son had died doing what he loved.

The 44-year-old was being filmed for a new programme as he snorkeled with a stingray on the Great Barrier Reef, when it lashed out with its tail, plunging a poisonous barb into his chest. Irwin died minutes later.

John Howard, Australia's prime minister, said a state funeral was appropriate, calling Irwin a great ambassador for Australia.

But Bob Irwin said: "He's an ordinary guy, and he wants to be remembered as an ordinary bloke. The state funeral would be refused."

Mr Irwin, who started the wildlife park that his son turned into a major tourist attraction added: "Both of us have had some very close shaves and we both approached it the same way, we made jokes about it. That's not to say we were careless. But we treated it as part of the job."

Michael Hornby, the head of one of Irwin's wildlife charities, Wildlife Warriors, said Irwin's wife, Terri, was considering the state funeral offer, but ABC radio later said she had already decided against it.

Mr Hornby said Mrs Irwin was also thinking about having a smaller, private ceremony at an Outback location, and approving a separate event at a stadium in the state capital, Brisbane.

Offline acoustic man

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2006, 06:40:12 pm »
Steve Irwin was one interesting dude. The way he handled those croc's was unbelivable .I have always been a fan of Animal Planet. Steves show was always my favorite. He would make me LMAO most of the time.

At least he lived his life doing something he loved. Not everybody gets to do that..There will never be another like him thats for sure. We will all miss him. Rest in peace Crocodile Hunter.
"Night after night he'll treat you right baby it's the guitar man"
www.myspace.com/tulliodellaquila

Offline Katie77

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 06:52:18 pm »
At a news conference yesterday, Steve's dad said there would be no state funeral, as steve was an "ordinary bloke" and would like to be remembered that way.

A private funeral will be held within the week, and a memorial service for the public will be held within the next two weeks.

His Austrlian zoo, where he lived and worked, has become a shrine, and thousands of people have left messages and flowers and just visited there, to feel a little closer to his family and to the animals that Steve loved and cared for so much.

Respect and privacy to his family has been the primary concern, they have themselves thanked the public for their messages, and have been overwhelmed by the support.

Australia and the world are in sadness, we have lost an irreplaceable bloke, he was one of a kind, but I'm sure he had many many people working with him on his projects, and I have no doubt, that they will keep his work going.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 12:47:36 am »
When I heard about his death, I was really torn up about it and I don't know why! I haven't seen any of his shows in a long time or anything like that, but it really struck a chord with me. I called everyone I knew and told them and they all had the same reaction. I think it was because he seemed like a really genuine, kind hearted, happy soul. And you so rarely see that nowadays.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 09:18:51 am »
I found this poem posted on a message board I use. Thought you might like it..I think it,s very fitting. :( :( :(

THE CROCODILES ARE CRYING

Endless visions fill my head - this man - as large as life
And instantly my heart mourns for his angels and his wife
Because the way I see Steve Irwin - just put everything aside
It comes back to his family - it comes back to his pride

His animals inclusive - Crikey - light the place with love!
Shine his star with everything he fought to rise above
The crazy-man of Khaki from the day he left the pouch
Living out his dream and in that classic 'Stevo' crouch

Exploding forth with character and redefining cheek
It's one thing to be honoured as a champion unique
It's one thing to have microphones and spotlight cameras shoved
It's another to be taken in and genuinely loved

But that was where he had it right - I guess he always knew
From his fathers' modest reptile park and then Australia Zoo
We cringed at times and shook our heads - but true to natures call
There was something very Irwin in the make up of us all

Yes the more I care to think of it - the more he had it right
If you're going to make a difference - make it big and make it bright!
Yes - he was a lunatic! Yes - he went head first!
But he made the world feel happy with his energetic burst

A world so large and loyal that it's hard to comprehend
I doubt we truly count the warmth until life meets an end
To count it now I say a prayer with words of inspiration
May the spotlight shine forever on his dream for conservation

...My daughter broke the news to me - my six year old in tears
It was like she'd just turned old enough to show her honest fears
I tried to make some sense of it but whilst her Dad was trying
His little girl explained it best...she said "The crocodiles are crying"

Their best mate's up in heaven now - the crocs up there are smiling!
And as sure as flowers, poems and cards and memories are piling
As sure as we'll continue with the trademarks of his spiel
Of all the tributes worthy - he was rough...but he was real

As sure as 'Crikey!' fills the sky
I think we'll miss ya Steve...goodbye

RUPERT McCALL 2006
Australian Poet

He was a bloody good bloke... RIP Steve.... the world will miss ya mate. :( :( :( :(

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 09:52:28 am »
Thanks souxi, that helps.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 06:57:08 pm »
Souxi........thank you for posting that poem "The Crocodiles are Crying".....

While it made the tears flow once again, it also gave me the words, that I have been trying to say, myself.

The author of that poem Rupert McCall, is a wonderful Australian poet, he writes poems on many topical and sentimental things that are Australian.He has brought many a tear to those who have read his poems, or listened to them on cd's, as well as some humour......he always seems to find a way, of mixing that humour with the utmost respect to whoever or whatever he is writing about.

Most of his poems are obviously more relevant to us Aussies, but I know this one, about Steve, is a reflection, of what all the world is feeling and thinking today....I hadnt seen or heard of the poem, until I saw it here this morning....someone from the other side of the world, sending me a poem, written by an aussie, about an aussie...thank you.

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 07:10:54 pm »
WOW!  That poem was just wonderful.  I'm passing it on to all of my friends.  Thanks so much for sharing - I probably wouldn't have found it on my own.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2006, 03:06:23 am »
Souxi........thank you for posting that poem "The Crocodiles are Crying".....

While it made the tears flow once again, it also gave me the words, that I have been trying to say, myself.

The author of that poem Rupert McCall, is a wonderful Australian poet, he writes poems on many topical and sentimental things that are Australian.He has brought many a tear to those who have read his poems, or listened to them on cd's, as well as some humour......he always seems to find a way, of mixing that humour with the utmost respect to whoever or whatever he is writing about.

Most of his poems are obviously more relevant to us Aussies, but I know this one, about Steve, is a reflection, of what all the world is feeling and thinking today....I hadnt seen or heard of the poem, until I saw it here this morning....someone from the other side of the world, sending me a poem, written by an aussie, about an aussie...thank you.

You are very welcome Katie, it,s the least I could do. I know I live over here in the UK, but, like I said, he was a bloody good bloke. I liked him. He lit up the screen..with that smile, and that enthusiasm. He did a lot on discovery kids and made learning about the animals fun for the kids. I cannot even begin to imagine what his poor wife and children must be going through. Is there a website anywhere with a condolence book you can sign? I know sometimes you can do that when a person dies. If there is I,d like to sign it. Bless ya heart Steve..look after them crocs eh?  ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:05:31 am by souxi »

Offline Katie77

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2006, 04:08:09 am »
Hi Souixi, didnt realize you were from the UK, thought you were probably from US....

I think they have set up a condolence book at the Australian Embassy in London....dont know if that is near to you....I went into the Yahoo website and sent a message, that was all I could think of to do.....

Steve's Zoo is only and hour and a half drive from where I live, and it has turned into a shrine, of messages and flowers, the car park at the zoo has been taken over with all these things.....they were expecting even more visitors there over the weekend....I have been tempted to go there, but I have not done so....he pops into my head all the time, and of course the thought of his dear family so sad, breaks my heart.

Steve was a humble man, and television shows he made, was a way of not only getting people aware of animals, it was also a way of getting enough money to carry on his work for conservation...he did not live in a big flash house, actually the house he lived in, is the same house he grew up in, which is on the grounds of the zoo....he had all the animals for neighbours, which I'm sure, was the way Steve preferred anyway....

A good bloke, who had so much more to do, but I am sure he had plenty of people working with him, who will carry on his work....

The legacy of Steve Irwin, will live on.......

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2006, 04:12:40 am »
Is there a website anywhere with a concolence book you can sign? I know sometimes you can do that when a person dies. If there is I,d like to sign it.

Yes there is souxi, the Queensland state government has created one at http://www.qld.gov.au/announcements/steve_irwin.html.

Steve Irwin's Tragic Death

On Monday 4 September 2006, Steve Irwin died tragically while filming a documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in Far North Queensland.  A champion for wildlife and for the environment, Steve made an enormous difference to Queensland and to Australia.  His achievements in promoting tourism and a greater understanding of our natural environment were outstanding.  His loss will be felt by all those who followed his extraordinary passion for his work and his life.  You can send a message of sympathy and support and this will be passed on to Steve's family.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:18:19 am by Aussie Chris »

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2006, 07:02:04 am »
I was really shocked and saddened by this. I'm a huge fan of Australian films and got interested in him because of the whole Croc Dundee thing. I have to confess to not liking the amount he interfered with the reptiles he filmed sometimes, but I was humbled by his passion and commitment to them and their survival. I always got the impression that he and Terri were real soulmates and can't imagine what she and their kids are going through right now. RIP Steve, you were a bonzer bloke!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 07:05:44 am by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2006, 07:36:54 am »
I saw a story on STeve and Terri last night, made some time ago, where she told how she met Steve........

As you know, Terri is an American lady, and her passion in America, had been for the preservation of cougars.....She had come to Australia, back in the late 80's, to visit the zoos here, and to try to get homes at those zoos, for cougars who faced destruction in the US......

She told, how she was driving north up the Bruce Highway, about an hour or so, out of Brisbane (the capitol of Queensland), when she saw a tiny little sign, saying "Australia Zoo"......as fate would have it, she headed in the direction of this zoo, and she met up with Steve and his family, and as they say, the rest is history.

At the time, this little zoo, was just a very small reptile park, known about, by only a few people who, too, had turned at that little sign....but at that place she found not only someone that offered her help with her plight of the cougars, she also found a wonderful bloke called Steve...They married in 1992 and spent their honeymoon croc hunting.......of course they took a movie camera along with them, and one of the things that they filmed, was Steve rescuing a distressed crocodile, who had got bogged in some thick mud, and was no doubt going to die in it.....Steve risked life and limb to actually put a rope around the croc, push it single handedly into a little boat, and take it to safer waters.

Absolutely outstanding.....and to say  Terri and Steve are soul mates, is quite an understatement, I dont think there is a word that would describe the mutual admiration for each other, the same understandings of the wildlife and needs for conservation, and the love for their two little children....

Australia and the world, have broken hearts, for the sadness that is with that family at the moment.....

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 08:56:59 pm »
They're doing a retrospective on Steve Irwin's life right now on Animal Planet.  Wished I'd caught it sooner so I could record it.

Steve Irwin in his own words.  The birth of his baby son was enough to drive anyone to tears.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 08:58:37 am »
Did anyone read about all those sting rays that were slaughtered? ffs poor Steve would be heartbroken. They think it,s some kind of sick "revenge" killing. For christs sake it was a terrible accident. Steve certainly wouldnt want that and neither would his family. Last I read they,d found 10..two with their long tails sliced off. Isnt this sad enough without this? It, just makes things worse.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Katie77

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2006, 09:50:08 am »
Yes, I saw it on the news last night, about the sting rays being killled......i was absolutely discusted as no doubt Steve would have been too.....

Its bloody idiots like that, who did that, that Steve was trying to make realize, that all living creatures have the right to be respected and treated properly.....

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 02:48:45 pm »
I've just seen a news bulletin about it here in the UK. Are these people THICK or something?? They claim to be fans of Steve and yet seem to know nothing of him at all, or at least they have no respect for what he stood for (and how much this will upset his family even more). IDIOTS!!! >:(
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 09:22:39 pm »
People can be cruel idiots.

Irwin would have been appalled and very disappointed.  The poor shy creatures are maimed and left to die slowly.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2006, 12:13:49 am »
I hate to have any connection to this stupid idiotic event, but this happened at my local beach, which is 30minutes from where i live.....

The local authorities, are doing there best to find the culprits, and I'm sure they will be treated with the disdain they deserve....

A statement from Steve's manager and family today, said Steve would be disgusted with what has happened.....as the manager said, Steve was in their territory, and his motto was, "when in another animal's territory, you play by their rules"......the manager said, when crocodiles or sharks were hunted after they had attacked and killed people,  it used to make Steve angry and upset.....

I dont know if you know, but a private funeral was held for Steve last monday night, in the bush at his zoo...there are not too many details, but it has been told that his family and friends had a campfire outdoors, and talked about Steve, before laying him to rest.....a public memorial service is to be held next wednesday at the zoo......it was a first thought that memorial was going to be held in Brisbane which is 70 miles south of the zoo, but is the capitol city of the state, but today it was announced by his wife, that the most fitting place would be to hold it at the zoo....

I believe it is going to be telecast live to many countries over the world....it will be 9am wednesday morning......dont know all the time zones over in america, but I know Florida.....9am wednesday morning here, is 7pm tuesday night over there.....

Offline Katie77

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2006, 05:53:48 pm »
Just to let you all know......There is a memorial event being held this morning in Australia for Steve Irwin......it will be screened live around the world, so if you are interested, look for it on your television stations......

It will begin at 9am Aussie time, this morning......that is 7pm Florida time....not sure what time in other parts of the country......

From what i have seen of the preparation, it will be sad, but also have some humour...it is taking place in the crocodile arena of steves zoo....tickets were given out free....and large screens have been set up all over the country for people to watch it....

Steves manager said, it was the family's way of thanking the public  of the world for the respect and messages they have received since steve's death......

I have no doubt, the whole of Australia will cry today, and remember a bloody good bloke......

Offline Katie77

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2006, 08:31:39 pm »
Just to let you all know......There is a memorial event being held this morning in Australia for Steve Irwin......it will be screened live around the world, so if you are interested, look for it on your television stations......

It will begin at 9am Aussie time, this morning......that is 7pm Florida time....not sure what time in other parts of the country......

From what i have seen of the preparation, it will be sad, but also have some humour...it is taking place in the crocodile arena of steves zoo....tickets were given out free....and large screens have been set up all over the country for people to watch it....

Steves manager said, it was the family's way of thanking the public  of the world for the respect and messages they have received since steve's death......

I have no doubt, the whole of Australia will cry today, and remember a bloody good bloke......

The memorial service for Steve has just finished here on TV, and all of australia and a lot of the world will be wiping tears from their eyes.......

They were true to their word, the service was a combination of sadness and humour, very respectfully done. Whoever produced it, should be commended...

I hope you all get the opportunity to see it.............

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2006, 11:05:33 pm »

The memorial service for Steve has just finished here on TV, and all of australia and a lot of the world will be wiping tears from their eyes.......

They were true to their word, the service was a combination of sadness and humour, very respectfully done. Whoever produced it, should be commended...

I hope you all get the opportunity to see it.............

I missed it.   >:(   I'm hoping the 'Animal Channel' will run a repeat of it this weekend.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 01:33:28 am »
I believe the memorial was to be screened at 9pm EST america, tuesday night.....on the Animal Planet channell......i know its too late for that, but it is sure to be repeated......

Giancarlo

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 01:35:34 am »
I'm deeply saddened that he is gone. I'm sorry I did not say anything before. He truly was the only one that could interest me in what he did, and he should be commended for expanding our understanding of animals. Some may not like his tactics, but those people really are not worth the time. I was shocked to hear how his death happened... but I knew he was truly doing something he loved, and that's the most imporant thing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:38:22 am by Giancarlo »

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2006, 02:20:24 am »
I found this today. It was a tribute read by Steves daughter Bindi at his memorial service.
Fond farewell to a 'true natural'By staff writers
September 20, 2006 10:40am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
BINDI Irwin has taken centre-stage at Steve Irwin's memorial service, calling the Crocodile Hunter "the best daddy in the world".

Thousands of fans cheered the eight-year-old's appearance at the family's Australia Zoo today as Bindi's mother Terri and brother Bob, two, looked on.

"My daddy was my hero - he was always there for me when I needed him," she said, reading from a piece of paper.

"He listened to me and taught me so many things, but most of all he was fun.

"I know that Daddy had an important job. He was working to change the world so everyone would love wildlife like he did."

She said her father built a hospital and bought land to give animals a safe place to live and she wanted to continue his legacy.

"I don't want Daddy's passion to ever end," she said.

"I want to help endangered wildlife just like he did."

Bindi said she would miss her father.

"I have the best Daddy in the whole world and I will miss him every day," she said.

"When I see a crocodile I will always think of him and I know that Daddy made this zoo so everyone could come and learn to love all the animals.

"Daddy made this place his whole life and now it's our turn to help Daddy."

Earlier Steve's father Bob said: "On behalf of Terri, Bindi and Bob, and my two girls Mandy and Joy, I would like to thank all of you for your kind thoughts, letters, flowers and sympathy.

"Please don't grieve for Steve, he's at peace now. But I would like you to grieve for the animals. The animals have lost the best friend they had, and so have I."

Irwin died on September 4 when a stingray barb struck him in the chest as he was filming off Queensland.

His death at 44 sparked a huge outpouring of grief and today celebrities and dignitaries, including Prime Minister John Howard, lined up to pay their own tributes at a service beamed live to millions of fans across Australia and around the world.

Russell Crowe appeared on a TV screen to deliver his own message to "my friend Steve".

"I know, as humble as you are, you would still be pleased that the world sends its love," he said.

Mr Howard said: "We are here to celebrate the life of a remarkable man and a remarkable Australian.

"Steve Irwin touched the hearts of Australians and touched the hearts of millions around the world in a very special way."

He said he had the quality of being genuine and authentic and had a great zest for life.

"As we share this celebration and honour this life can I say to Terri and the rest of your family, there are 20 million pairs of Australian arms reaching out to you today."

Australian music star John Williamson sang True Blue, the Crocodile Hunter's favourite song, earning a standing ovation from the crowd.

There were also tributes from Anthony Field of The Wiggles, actor Hugh Jackman, singer Justin Timberlake, Environment Minister Ian Campbell and actress Cameron Diaz, as Terri watched with son Bob on her knee and Bindi by her side.

Diaz said: "People were just taken by him, they were just inspired and in awe of his energy and how he actually went about putting himself forward and what he represented.

"Every kid was in love with the idea of being able to be him."

US TV host Larry King said he had interviewed Irwin, who was a big star in America, to impress his own children.

"To Steve's wife Terri, my sincere condolences, to his kids - Bindi, Bob - your dad was a great man."

Australian actor David Wenham paid his tribute by reading a poem by Rupert McCall.

"My daughter broke the news to me - my six year-old in tears.
"It was like she'd just turned old enough to show her honest fears.
"I tried to make some sense of it but whilst her Dad was trying
"His little explained it best...she said: 'The Crocodiles are crying'.
"Their best mate's up in heaven now - the crocs up there are smiling!"

Wes Mannion, the director of Australia Zoo, broke down in tears as he tried to honour his mate.

"His love and passion for wildlife was so enveloping that at the time I found it hard to breathe," he said.

"Over time, we continued to grow closer and closer and shared so many exciting times."

He said Irwin was a great dad: "His love and dedication has been inspiring. He was a true natural.

"To the world he was a hero. To me he was my hero. He saved my life. I'll miss you mate."

The numerous tributes were mixed with footage of Irwin in his element, working with animals and teaching his fans about some of the world's most dangerous creatures.

Best friend and business manager John Stainton also introduced out-takes from Steve's shows.

The crowd was shown footage of Irwin falling out of boats, getting bitten by crocodiles and lizards, messing up his lines and being chased by cassowaries.

Animal researcher Professor Craig Franklin revealed the University of Queensland was about to make Irwin an adjunct professor for his work in studying crocodiles when he died.

"While not formally trained as a scientist he had all the qualities of a great scientist," he said.

"He was driven by curiosity and he had an endless list of questions that he sought answers to."

Towards the end of the service, men dressed in khaki laid out yellow flowers to spell out Steve's catchphrase "Crikey".

A single, empty seat was left in the zoo's Crocoseum in memory of the much-loved environmentalist and TV star.

It was marked with the wildlife warrior's favourite Australia Zoo cap.

At a press conference following the service, Bob Irwin said his son had remained an "ordinary bloke" even when his fame and influence grew.

"I'm probably one of the most fortunate fathers in the wold to have been able to spend 44 years (with Steve) ... he was just an ordinary Aussie bloke. "

He also spoke of his fears for his grandchildren.

"The way I feel about it is, I think it is going to be harder for Bindi and Bob to grow up with a father as famous as he was. There are going to be hurdles in their path."

But Mr Irwin said Terri Irwin was such a good mother, she would guide them through any difficulties.

"I think the fact that Bindi has been very, very strong throughout, it has encouraged Terri to keep up as well.," he said.

"Little Robert keeps them level."

Mr Irwin said Terri was pleased with the event, which was organised by Mr Stainton and Australia Zoo staff.

"Terri was very pleased, firstly because that's where Steve would have wanted it to be held," he said.

"John had done such a great job putting it all together and the people involved obviously loved Steve.

"I think today has come to a peak and I think I will probably fall apart from here on in probably for some time to come," he said.

Mr Stainton said the family had not thought any further ahead than getting through today.

"I think we got to today like getting to the cliff, and then falling over it. "

When asked what his highlight of today's service had been, he said: "Just getting through it."

Mr Stainton said the documentary Irwin had been working on when he was killed had been completed just a few days ago.

I,ve sat here this morning, all the way over in the UK, crying my eyes out. I,ts just so damn sad. What a bloody good bloke he was. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Giancarlo

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2006, 01:14:17 pm »
If there were more people like him in the world, this world would be a different place.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2006, 04:27:03 pm »
 Re: Katie77....just an aussie sheila
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2006, 04:07:37 pm »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stood so proud today, watching the Steve Irwin Memorial...just proud that I was an Aussie......

It got me to thinking, about what it was like growing up here....I can remember when we first got television in Australia, that was in 1956...it probably took a year or so, before everyone had a tv set....we used to sit and watch all the American shows, and had this unbelivable picture of what life must be like over there in that country of movie stars, big big cars, people who talked with a great accent....Every kid wanted to go to America...but back then, that was just a dream...To me, all families in America were like the Cleaver family, all kids had a phone beside their bed like Gidget, (when a lot of us here, didnt even have one phone in our house), and everyone it seemed was a movie star.....

As I got older, and started watching shows that gave us pictures of your great country, it always seemed (and it was), that America had the longest rivers, the deepest canyons, the highest mountains, the biggest sky scraper buildings...

Australia went to war, along side Americans, in the 60's, and even if we didnt agree with that war, the slogan our then Prime Minister phrased was "All the Way with LBJ"...I guess most aussies figured, it was far better to be allies with "those yanks" than to be their bloody enemy.....

Then in the 70's, 80's, and 90's we started to see our rock stars, and movie stars go over there to get "their break in the States"....and when they started succeeding , we were so damn proud....it just seemed so funny to see an Aussie on an American talk show, it was a bit like, "gee, these people who we had been seeing here for years, had finally made it"....and we were all so proud at the thought that the yanks knew about some of our Aussies...

We always seem like the little brother, and America always the big brother...and we can cop that, when i think of your population and ours, we are definately the "little brother".....

Today, was different.......Today, I felt like I was eight feet tall.....today, I have never been so proud, that one of our own, was the type of bloke he was.......today, I saw the world, sit up and salute a great Australian......I am so glad that we were able to share him with you, so glad, that I dont have to explain who this Steve Irwin is......

Today, (if you watched the memorial service), you will have seen us at our saddest, you would have also seen us sing along to "Give me a Home Among the Gum Trees"...you would have seen one of our favourite singers sing "True Blue"....today you watched as we farewelled a bloody good bloke.

His work must continue.....Please help where you can.....Rest in Peace, STEVE IRWIN.....

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2006, 08:54:38 pm »
Katie  -

That was beautiful. Thank you for posting it!

Australia is about as far away from the U.S. as is possible. But Americans have always been extremely fond of "Aussies". We are also very fond of the British. I have never met a fellow American who did not love Australia or the Australian people. And yes, you should be proud. Some of the greatest actors and actresses are Australian. Even my most favorite actor, Heath Ledger, is from the great country of Australia. Your country lost a great entertainer and a great man, when Steve Irwin died. We loved Steve here in the U.S. too. I have watched Steve's "The Crocodile Hunter" for years. He was immensely popular in this country. He will be greatly missed here in the United States too.  :'(

Thanks again for that wonderful post Katie!   :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2006, 02:19:32 pm »
I came back form a relaxing holiday where I never lifter a newpaper or looked at the news once to the news Steve Irwin had tragically died. I was sooo sad. Not that I watch every one of his programmes but he was just a thoroughly nice bloke wasn't he? And Ozzie through and through.

His little girl doign that little speech. OMG - how gorgeous and heart rending was that?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2006, 01:14:35 pm »
I,ve just watched a video clip on my Yahoo where Steves widow spoke out for the first time since his death. She said their 2 year old son Robert is finding it very hard and really misses his daddy. Apparantly he said to her" I wish I could get sick mummy" she asked him why on earth he wanted to do that he said "so I can go to heaven and be with my daddy"  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Katie77

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2006, 04:32:57 pm »
I watched the interview with Terri Irwin, and I came away knowing that those kids are in good strong hands.....At the same time, I hope the public dont make a martyr of this lovely woman, she is doing what any mother would do with her kids, if they lost their father...She has good people around her, and above all she has the spirit and the memories of a great guy like Steve to help her along the way.

Some of the things she said about Steve "he showed me how to walk out in the rain, jump in the puddles"....what a wonderful time she had with this man, and what a wonderful wife and partner she was to him.

There is no doubt, that Steve's work will continue, and his kids will grow up as he had planned.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2006, 05:39:02 pm »
Katie77
Brokeback Got Me Good

I Swear, Brokeback got me good

Re: Katie77....just an aussie sheila
« Reply #134 on: Today at 07:28:01 am »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crikey what a day yesterday was......

We were up at 5am...still dark outside, left an hour later to make the drive to Brisbane, which ended up a 3 hour trip, to the airport, to pick up our 10 yr old grandson Dylan.....we all ready had 6yr old grandson Jai, with us...

Made the usual stops at Mcdonalds for breakfast on the way, and even though i am still on my diet, I couldnt resist a bacon and egg m'cmuffin....Picked up Dylan, and he hadnt had breakfast yet, so first KFC we saw, fixed that problem up.

We were heading up the Bruce Highway towards Australia Zoo, about an  hour from the airport.( even though, after 10 minutes, the kids were all ready saying "When are we gonna get there???)..

The Zoo is situated in the hinterlands about half hour from the Coast (we call it the Sunshine Coast)...was probably once a sleepy little village, when Steve's dad opened up his little reptile park there years ago, but not now....Roads have been expanded to cope with the traffic to the zoo, and when we got to the turn in to the zoo, there were thousands of cars.

First think as we drove in car park, were the flowers, the memorial signs and floral tributes on the old entrance....although, I had seen this many times on the t.v., to see it "live" made me fall apart....i unashamedly let the tears flow, as we drove past and made our way to the main car park.

Greeted by a camel, at the entrance, we walked thru the beautiful gardens into a wonderland of peaceful gardens and animal homes, first the koals, then aligators, then tasmanian devils, then dingos, then crocodiles, following a path that made us feel like we had stepped into someone's dream.....and we knew it was, it was Steve's dream.....We knew this was gonna be good, but we didnt expect it to be this good, the surroundings and animal enclosures would put any other zoo to shame, the cleaniliness of the place was unprecedented and the atmosphere was amazing.....

We moved in to the Crososeum, to wait for the crocodile show at 11.30...first show was a snake exhibition, not only was it educational, but as Steve would have it, there were also some comedy things in it too......then the bird show....these beautiful birds flying around us, from one side of the crocoseum to the other, landing near us, so we got what you might call "a birds eye view"....Then the "Crikey" call out competition....wow, did that echo thru the arena when everyone called out "Crikey"....and then the crocodiles....wow, never been so close, and now I have been, can see the beauty and the wonderment of these wonderful, albeit, dangerous, animals.

Of course there was the souvenir shop....laden with dols, tee shirts, key rings, you name it, they had it...and we spent a fortune there.

After the day was done, and we had seen everything, the kids had played on everything they could, was time to get going, we still had another hour and half drive home....

Bob went with the kids to get the car, and I went alone to the floral memorial....I walked along reading the messages, and thinking of Steve, and what a great bloke he was, and how I wished he could still be there to enjoy this wonderful place....I signed the condolence book, and read some of the loving messages that were in them, took a few more photos, then bid farewell to this happy wonderous place.

If there was ever a monument to this great man, then this place is the ultimate.

I took lots of pics, and I will send some thru each day.....the first ones today, are of the memorial tributes, later on I will send you some of the animals. 

I have copied this from my own blog, to share with you on this thread too....

moremojo

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2006, 06:32:30 pm »
Sue, what a beautiful, heartfelt memorial is to be seen there for Steve. Here in the States, he seemed to be regarded as a figure of fun, with people doing double takes at his death-defying dances with critters strange and fearsome. He obviously touched many, many people on a much deeper level than that, and perhaps some did not realize that until his death awoke that understanding. Though he will be missed, his inspiring example will hopefully live on, and I feel that Steve would have wanted no higher honor than having instilled a love for the earth and all its myriad creatures in young hearts, the custodians of the future.

Shine on, Steve, shine on...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2006, 08:00:21 pm »
Your post and that memorial really choked me up, Katie.   :'(  Thanks so much for posting.

Steve, your dream will live on.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2006, 10:46:26 pm »
I was in the Seattle area when I read the news of Steve Irwin's death.  I was so shaken by that news that I removed myself from the room where I was visiting, went outside to a quiet spot, and shed many tear of love for the man who has done so much for the animals of this planet.  If we have learned anything by his presence in this world, I hope it would be that we, as guardians of this planet, have the responsibility to protect it.  But it is man who is doing the most damage to our home, so it is, now, that each of us must find a way to change that.  It is my greatest hope that Bindi Irwin will become her father's spirit in preserving the natural world, and that we each contribute what we can (I already do) to support her endeavors.  "...and a child shall lead them..."
l
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 11:29:28 pm by [email protected] »

Offline Katie77

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2013, 01:18:47 pm »
Thought I would add this photo to this section......

Look how Bindi has grown into such a beautiful young lady........

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2013, 02:37:21 pm »
Wow. Bindi has grown UP.

She has continued her father's work and I hope she does this the rest of her life.  The animals need her.

Steve would be so proud.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2013, 09:22:42 am »
It's good to see her as an adult, and that her father's death hasn't scared her from animals.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!