Author Topic: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today  (Read 31719 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 08:24:34 pm »
I think we have all learned a lot more about Steve Irwin, since yesterday.....

His work for conservation,his generosity with the money he earned and the time he gave to wildlife preservation.......

I guess we had all heard at different times about the work that he was doing, but it seems different hearing it now, because we know he will not be here to continue with it......I guess its like a lot of things that we just accept and take for granted, until it is gone, we dont appreciate it like we should have.

Thank God, he was not like that, that he didnt just accept things as they were, and that he didnt take things for granted, he worked to change things, and he realized that if we didnt take care of our environment and wildlife, that they too would disappear from our lives.

I guess he was proably more popular and well known in America,because us Aussies, just accepted him as "another" aussie, with an infectious personality, and an adventurous spirit.....like our kangaroos and koalas, we thought of Steve, as just another Aussie icon......

How proud I am today, that we had such a fine bloke in our midst, and how sad I am, that his life has been cut so short....I am absolutely gutted, and I have cried many tears, over this terrible terrible loss.

On the same news bulletin in Australia today, there was a report on the arrest of two fishermen, who last week, shot and killed 40 seals, who were living in their natural habitat in southern Australia......(need I say more of the irony and the anger i was feeling).....

Today, this planet, is one good bloke short, may we all take something positive out of this, and use it to make things better.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 06:47:23 pm »
So sad about those seals Katie. Why does man enjoy killing so much? That is one thing I'll never understand. And note: I don't mean all mankind. But killing seems to be second nature to many.

It's so sad about Steve Irwin.  Not really surprising as most of the time I watched him I was a nervous wreck. He would get so close to these dangerous and poisonous animals that I would have to look away. Especially when he would be right next to a hissing snake and turn and talk into the camera. I would find myself screaming "watch what your doing! your crazy!!" Well in words close to that anyways. But he always scared me. It was worse than watching a horror flick because you knew these were real animals and anything could happen at any moment. I guess just like it did in the end.

.But the good thing is... he lived more in 44 years than most do a whole lifetime. God Bless.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 08:28:05 pm »
Go to:

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/1401993295

to see the below:

Animal Planet, and the entire Discovery Communications family, suffered a crushing loss this week when Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray while filming in Australia. Our thoughts are with his wife and children and the people who worked with him to bring conservation to the attention of people around the globe. The world will miss you, Steve!

The Steve Irwin Memorial Message Board
(Please note that due to the incredible volume of people posting to this message board, access may be slow.)

The Main Memorial Page

Statement from Billy Campbell, President, Discovery Networks, U.S. Discovery Communications, Inc.

Steve in Pictures

Steve Irwin, in His Own Words

The Wildlife Warrior

Special Programming Schedule: Steve on Animal Planet

Where to Make a Contribution

From Discovery News: Stingray Injuries Are Rarely Fatal

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Irwin family refuse offer of a state funeral
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 01:51:50 am »
It's a pitty really, because [IMHO] funerals are for the people left behind, not the person who died, and there are a lot of people who would have liked to pay their respects (unlike that awful Germaine Greer).  But I don't understand why the media keep asking his family what Steve would have made of all the fuss...  Jesus people!  They're traumatised enough already, what do you expect them to say?  Anyway, I guess those closest to him deserve their privacy and time to grieve.

One thing though, as endearing as it may be for his dad to say that Steve was "an ordinary bloke", well love him or hate him (yes I'm looking at you Germaine) that's just not how the world saw him and it's certainly not the impression that he has left on the planet.  What's going to be hard for us is that there are still many hours of footage of him that are yet to be aired, but apparently will be.  Bindi's television series will go ahead next year, and there are quite a few episodes that will have Steve in them.  There's even a advertising campaign that was about to start in Australia next month that also will go ahead.  It's going to be strange watching them, like coming back from the dead (like Brandon Lee in The Crow).

But for now...

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1319652006

Irwin family refuse offer of a state funeral
DENNIS PASSA IN BEERWAH, AUSTRALIA

"CROCODILE Hunter" Steve Irwin would not have wanted a state funeral because he wanted to be remembered as "an ordinary bloke," the television star's father said yesterday.

In the first public comments by Irwin's family since the hugely popular naturalist was killed by a stingray, Bob Irwin thanked his son's fans for their messages of support, and said his son had died doing what he loved.

The 44-year-old was being filmed for a new programme as he snorkeled with a stingray on the Great Barrier Reef, when it lashed out with its tail, plunging a poisonous barb into his chest. Irwin died minutes later.

John Howard, Australia's prime minister, said a state funeral was appropriate, calling Irwin a great ambassador for Australia.

But Bob Irwin said: "He's an ordinary guy, and he wants to be remembered as an ordinary bloke. The state funeral would be refused."

Mr Irwin, who started the wildlife park that his son turned into a major tourist attraction added: "Both of us have had some very close shaves and we both approached it the same way, we made jokes about it. That's not to say we were careless. But we treated it as part of the job."

Michael Hornby, the head of one of Irwin's wildlife charities, Wildlife Warriors, said Irwin's wife, Terri, was considering the state funeral offer, but ABC radio later said she had already decided against it.

Mr Hornby said Mrs Irwin was also thinking about having a smaller, private ceremony at an Outback location, and approving a separate event at a stadium in the state capital, Brisbane.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline acoustic man

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2006, 06:40:12 pm »
Steve Irwin was one interesting dude. The way he handled those croc's was unbelivable .I have always been a fan of Animal Planet. Steves show was always my favorite. He would make me LMAO most of the time.

At least he lived his life doing something he loved. Not everybody gets to do that..There will never be another like him thats for sure. We will all miss him. Rest in peace Crocodile Hunter.
"Night after night he'll treat you right baby it's the guitar man"
www.myspace.com/tulliodellaquila

Offline Katie77

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 06:52:18 pm »
At a news conference yesterday, Steve's dad said there would be no state funeral, as steve was an "ordinary bloke" and would like to be remembered that way.

A private funeral will be held within the week, and a memorial service for the public will be held within the next two weeks.

His Austrlian zoo, where he lived and worked, has become a shrine, and thousands of people have left messages and flowers and just visited there, to feel a little closer to his family and to the animals that Steve loved and cared for so much.

Respect and privacy to his family has been the primary concern, they have themselves thanked the public for their messages, and have been overwhelmed by the support.

Australia and the world are in sadness, we have lost an irreplaceable bloke, he was one of a kind, but I'm sure he had many many people working with him on his projects, and I have no doubt, that they will keep his work going.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 12:47:36 am »
When I heard about his death, I was really torn up about it and I don't know why! I haven't seen any of his shows in a long time or anything like that, but it really struck a chord with me. I called everyone I knew and told them and they all had the same reaction. I think it was because he seemed like a really genuine, kind hearted, happy soul. And you so rarely see that nowadays.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 09:18:51 am »
I found this poem posted on a message board I use. Thought you might like it..I think it,s very fitting. :( :( :(

THE CROCODILES ARE CRYING

Endless visions fill my head - this man - as large as life
And instantly my heart mourns for his angels and his wife
Because the way I see Steve Irwin - just put everything aside
It comes back to his family - it comes back to his pride

His animals inclusive - Crikey - light the place with love!
Shine his star with everything he fought to rise above
The crazy-man of Khaki from the day he left the pouch
Living out his dream and in that classic 'Stevo' crouch

Exploding forth with character and redefining cheek
It's one thing to be honoured as a champion unique
It's one thing to have microphones and spotlight cameras shoved
It's another to be taken in and genuinely loved

But that was where he had it right - I guess he always knew
From his fathers' modest reptile park and then Australia Zoo
We cringed at times and shook our heads - but true to natures call
There was something very Irwin in the make up of us all

Yes the more I care to think of it - the more he had it right
If you're going to make a difference - make it big and make it bright!
Yes - he was a lunatic! Yes - he went head first!
But he made the world feel happy with his energetic burst

A world so large and loyal that it's hard to comprehend
I doubt we truly count the warmth until life meets an end
To count it now I say a prayer with words of inspiration
May the spotlight shine forever on his dream for conservation

...My daughter broke the news to me - my six year old in tears
It was like she'd just turned old enough to show her honest fears
I tried to make some sense of it but whilst her Dad was trying
His little girl explained it best...she said "The crocodiles are crying"

Their best mate's up in heaven now - the crocs up there are smiling!
And as sure as flowers, poems and cards and memories are piling
As sure as we'll continue with the trademarks of his spiel
Of all the tributes worthy - he was rough...but he was real

As sure as 'Crikey!' fills the sky
I think we'll miss ya Steve...goodbye

RUPERT McCALL 2006
Australian Poet

He was a bloody good bloke... RIP Steve.... the world will miss ya mate. :( :( :( :(

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 09:52:28 am »
Thanks souxi, that helps.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Katie77

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 06:57:08 pm »
Souxi........thank you for posting that poem "The Crocodiles are Crying".....

While it made the tears flow once again, it also gave me the words, that I have been trying to say, myself.

The author of that poem Rupert McCall, is a wonderful Australian poet, he writes poems on many topical and sentimental things that are Australian.He has brought many a tear to those who have read his poems, or listened to them on cd's, as well as some humour......he always seems to find a way, of mixing that humour with the utmost respect to whoever or whatever he is writing about.

Most of his poems are obviously more relevant to us Aussies, but I know this one, about Steve, is a reflection, of what all the world is feeling and thinking today....I hadnt seen or heard of the poem, until I saw it here this morning....someone from the other side of the world, sending me a poem, written by an aussie, about an aussie...thank you.