Author Topic: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today  (Read 31752 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 09:22:39 pm »
People can be cruel idiots.

Irwin would have been appalled and very disappointed.  The poor shy creatures are maimed and left to die slowly.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2006, 12:13:49 am »
I hate to have any connection to this stupid idiotic event, but this happened at my local beach, which is 30minutes from where i live.....

The local authorities, are doing there best to find the culprits, and I'm sure they will be treated with the disdain they deserve....

A statement from Steve's manager and family today, said Steve would be disgusted with what has happened.....as the manager said, Steve was in their territory, and his motto was, "when in another animal's territory, you play by their rules"......the manager said, when crocodiles or sharks were hunted after they had attacked and killed people,  it used to make Steve angry and upset.....

I dont know if you know, but a private funeral was held for Steve last monday night, in the bush at his zoo...there are not too many details, but it has been told that his family and friends had a campfire outdoors, and talked about Steve, before laying him to rest.....a public memorial service is to be held next wednesday at the zoo......it was a first thought that memorial was going to be held in Brisbane which is 70 miles south of the zoo, but is the capitol city of the state, but today it was announced by his wife, that the most fitting place would be to hold it at the zoo....

I believe it is going to be telecast live to many countries over the world....it will be 9am wednesday morning......dont know all the time zones over in america, but I know Florida.....9am wednesday morning here, is 7pm tuesday night over there.....

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Katie77

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2006, 05:53:48 pm »
Just to let you all know......There is a memorial event being held this morning in Australia for Steve Irwin......it will be screened live around the world, so if you are interested, look for it on your television stations......

It will begin at 9am Aussie time, this morning......that is 7pm Florida time....not sure what time in other parts of the country......

From what i have seen of the preparation, it will be sad, but also have some humour...it is taking place in the crocodile arena of steves zoo....tickets were given out free....and large screens have been set up all over the country for people to watch it....

Steves manager said, it was the family's way of thanking the public  of the world for the respect and messages they have received since steve's death......

I have no doubt, the whole of Australia will cry today, and remember a bloody good bloke......

Offline Katie77

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2006, 08:31:39 pm »
Just to let you all know......There is a memorial event being held this morning in Australia for Steve Irwin......it will be screened live around the world, so if you are interested, look for it on your television stations......

It will begin at 9am Aussie time, this morning......that is 7pm Florida time....not sure what time in other parts of the country......

From what i have seen of the preparation, it will be sad, but also have some humour...it is taking place in the crocodile arena of steves zoo....tickets were given out free....and large screens have been set up all over the country for people to watch it....

Steves manager said, it was the family's way of thanking the public  of the world for the respect and messages they have received since steve's death......

I have no doubt, the whole of Australia will cry today, and remember a bloody good bloke......

The memorial service for Steve has just finished here on TV, and all of australia and a lot of the world will be wiping tears from their eyes.......

They were true to their word, the service was a combination of sadness and humour, very respectfully done. Whoever produced it, should be commended...

I hope you all get the opportunity to see it.............

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2006, 11:05:33 pm »

The memorial service for Steve has just finished here on TV, and all of australia and a lot of the world will be wiping tears from their eyes.......

They were true to their word, the service was a combination of sadness and humour, very respectfully done. Whoever produced it, should be commended...

I hope you all get the opportunity to see it.............

I missed it.   >:(   I'm hoping the 'Animal Channel' will run a repeat of it this weekend.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 01:33:28 am »
I believe the memorial was to be screened at 9pm EST america, tuesday night.....on the Animal Planet channell......i know its too late for that, but it is sure to be repeated......

Giancarlo

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 01:35:34 am »
I'm deeply saddened that he is gone. I'm sorry I did not say anything before. He truly was the only one that could interest me in what he did, and he should be commended for expanding our understanding of animals. Some may not like his tactics, but those people really are not worth the time. I was shocked to hear how his death happened... but I knew he was truly doing something he loved, and that's the most imporant thing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:38:22 am by Giancarlo »

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2006, 02:20:24 am »
I found this today. It was a tribute read by Steves daughter Bindi at his memorial service.
Fond farewell to a 'true natural'By staff writers
September 20, 2006 10:40am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
BINDI Irwin has taken centre-stage at Steve Irwin's memorial service, calling the Crocodile Hunter "the best daddy in the world".

Thousands of fans cheered the eight-year-old's appearance at the family's Australia Zoo today as Bindi's mother Terri and brother Bob, two, looked on.

"My daddy was my hero - he was always there for me when I needed him," she said, reading from a piece of paper.

"He listened to me and taught me so many things, but most of all he was fun.

"I know that Daddy had an important job. He was working to change the world so everyone would love wildlife like he did."

She said her father built a hospital and bought land to give animals a safe place to live and she wanted to continue his legacy.

"I don't want Daddy's passion to ever end," she said.

"I want to help endangered wildlife just like he did."

Bindi said she would miss her father.

"I have the best Daddy in the whole world and I will miss him every day," she said.

"When I see a crocodile I will always think of him and I know that Daddy made this zoo so everyone could come and learn to love all the animals.

"Daddy made this place his whole life and now it's our turn to help Daddy."

Earlier Steve's father Bob said: "On behalf of Terri, Bindi and Bob, and my two girls Mandy and Joy, I would like to thank all of you for your kind thoughts, letters, flowers and sympathy.

"Please don't grieve for Steve, he's at peace now. But I would like you to grieve for the animals. The animals have lost the best friend they had, and so have I."

Irwin died on September 4 when a stingray barb struck him in the chest as he was filming off Queensland.

His death at 44 sparked a huge outpouring of grief and today celebrities and dignitaries, including Prime Minister John Howard, lined up to pay their own tributes at a service beamed live to millions of fans across Australia and around the world.

Russell Crowe appeared on a TV screen to deliver his own message to "my friend Steve".

"I know, as humble as you are, you would still be pleased that the world sends its love," he said.

Mr Howard said: "We are here to celebrate the life of a remarkable man and a remarkable Australian.

"Steve Irwin touched the hearts of Australians and touched the hearts of millions around the world in a very special way."

He said he had the quality of being genuine and authentic and had a great zest for life.

"As we share this celebration and honour this life can I say to Terri and the rest of your family, there are 20 million pairs of Australian arms reaching out to you today."

Australian music star John Williamson sang True Blue, the Crocodile Hunter's favourite song, earning a standing ovation from the crowd.

There were also tributes from Anthony Field of The Wiggles, actor Hugh Jackman, singer Justin Timberlake, Environment Minister Ian Campbell and actress Cameron Diaz, as Terri watched with son Bob on her knee and Bindi by her side.

Diaz said: "People were just taken by him, they were just inspired and in awe of his energy and how he actually went about putting himself forward and what he represented.

"Every kid was in love with the idea of being able to be him."

US TV host Larry King said he had interviewed Irwin, who was a big star in America, to impress his own children.

"To Steve's wife Terri, my sincere condolences, to his kids - Bindi, Bob - your dad was a great man."

Australian actor David Wenham paid his tribute by reading a poem by Rupert McCall.

"My daughter broke the news to me - my six year-old in tears.
"It was like she'd just turned old enough to show her honest fears.
"I tried to make some sense of it but whilst her Dad was trying
"His little explained it best...she said: 'The Crocodiles are crying'.
"Their best mate's up in heaven now - the crocs up there are smiling!"

Wes Mannion, the director of Australia Zoo, broke down in tears as he tried to honour his mate.

"His love and passion for wildlife was so enveloping that at the time I found it hard to breathe," he said.

"Over time, we continued to grow closer and closer and shared so many exciting times."

He said Irwin was a great dad: "His love and dedication has been inspiring. He was a true natural.

"To the world he was a hero. To me he was my hero. He saved my life. I'll miss you mate."

The numerous tributes were mixed with footage of Irwin in his element, working with animals and teaching his fans about some of the world's most dangerous creatures.

Best friend and business manager John Stainton also introduced out-takes from Steve's shows.

The crowd was shown footage of Irwin falling out of boats, getting bitten by crocodiles and lizards, messing up his lines and being chased by cassowaries.

Animal researcher Professor Craig Franklin revealed the University of Queensland was about to make Irwin an adjunct professor for his work in studying crocodiles when he died.

"While not formally trained as a scientist he had all the qualities of a great scientist," he said.

"He was driven by curiosity and he had an endless list of questions that he sought answers to."

Towards the end of the service, men dressed in khaki laid out yellow flowers to spell out Steve's catchphrase "Crikey".

A single, empty seat was left in the zoo's Crocoseum in memory of the much-loved environmentalist and TV star.

It was marked with the wildlife warrior's favourite Australia Zoo cap.

At a press conference following the service, Bob Irwin said his son had remained an "ordinary bloke" even when his fame and influence grew.

"I'm probably one of the most fortunate fathers in the wold to have been able to spend 44 years (with Steve) ... he was just an ordinary Aussie bloke. "

He also spoke of his fears for his grandchildren.

"The way I feel about it is, I think it is going to be harder for Bindi and Bob to grow up with a father as famous as he was. There are going to be hurdles in their path."

But Mr Irwin said Terri Irwin was such a good mother, she would guide them through any difficulties.

"I think the fact that Bindi has been very, very strong throughout, it has encouraged Terri to keep up as well.," he said.

"Little Robert keeps them level."

Mr Irwin said Terri was pleased with the event, which was organised by Mr Stainton and Australia Zoo staff.

"Terri was very pleased, firstly because that's where Steve would have wanted it to be held," he said.

"John had done such a great job putting it all together and the people involved obviously loved Steve.

"I think today has come to a peak and I think I will probably fall apart from here on in probably for some time to come," he said.

Mr Stainton said the family had not thought any further ahead than getting through today.

"I think we got to today like getting to the cliff, and then falling over it. "

When asked what his highlight of today's service had been, he said: "Just getting through it."

Mr Stainton said the documentary Irwin had been working on when he was killed had been completed just a few days ago.

I,ve sat here this morning, all the way over in the UK, crying my eyes out. I,ts just so damn sad. What a bloody good bloke he was. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Giancarlo

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2006, 01:14:17 pm »
If there were more people like him in the world, this world would be a different place.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2006, 04:27:03 pm »
 Re: Katie77....just an aussie sheila
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2006, 04:07:37 pm »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stood so proud today, watching the Steve Irwin Memorial...just proud that I was an Aussie......

It got me to thinking, about what it was like growing up here....I can remember when we first got television in Australia, that was in 1956...it probably took a year or so, before everyone had a tv set....we used to sit and watch all the American shows, and had this unbelivable picture of what life must be like over there in that country of movie stars, big big cars, people who talked with a great accent....Every kid wanted to go to America...but back then, that was just a dream...To me, all families in America were like the Cleaver family, all kids had a phone beside their bed like Gidget, (when a lot of us here, didnt even have one phone in our house), and everyone it seemed was a movie star.....

As I got older, and started watching shows that gave us pictures of your great country, it always seemed (and it was), that America had the longest rivers, the deepest canyons, the highest mountains, the biggest sky scraper buildings...

Australia went to war, along side Americans, in the 60's, and even if we didnt agree with that war, the slogan our then Prime Minister phrased was "All the Way with LBJ"...I guess most aussies figured, it was far better to be allies with "those yanks" than to be their bloody enemy.....

Then in the 70's, 80's, and 90's we started to see our rock stars, and movie stars go over there to get "their break in the States"....and when they started succeeding , we were so damn proud....it just seemed so funny to see an Aussie on an American talk show, it was a bit like, "gee, these people who we had been seeing here for years, had finally made it"....and we were all so proud at the thought that the yanks knew about some of our Aussies...

We always seem like the little brother, and America always the big brother...and we can cop that, when i think of your population and ours, we are definately the "little brother".....

Today, was different.......Today, I felt like I was eight feet tall.....today, I have never been so proud, that one of our own, was the type of bloke he was.......today, I saw the world, sit up and salute a great Australian......I am so glad that we were able to share him with you, so glad, that I dont have to explain who this Steve Irwin is......

Today, (if you watched the memorial service), you will have seen us at our saddest, you would have also seen us sing along to "Give me a Home Among the Gum Trees"...you would have seen one of our favourite singers sing "True Blue"....today you watched as we farewelled a bloody good bloke.

His work must continue.....Please help where you can.....Rest in Peace, STEVE IRWIN.....