Author Topic: How many times...  (Read 14133 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
How many times...
« on: April 03, 2006, 12:55:33 am »
I know we have a lot of experts here, but I'm curious about how many times you made it to the theatre to see the movie.

I personally spent the first month being bullsh*t because I needed to drive 3 hours to see it, trying to figure out who to write with my complaints; I eventually figured out it was a distribution plan and not necessarily a censorship issue....so I managed 19 times in the theatre (gave up sleep for many late showings).  And I have every ticket stub saved to be worked into a BBM montage with the movie poster at a future date.

But since I'll have access to the DVD within 48 hrs - yippee !!!! I thought now was a good time for this poll.

Please respond if you feel moved to do so...

Peace,
Lynne
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 07:02:06 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
Re: How many times...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:48:27 am »
Er...I think I'm at an even 40 for theater viewings...

No, I'm not institutionalized. Why do you ask?

;D
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 12:54:48 am »
Holy cow!  You win, hands down!  Now I can reference you as a true extremist when I'm mumbling '19'...for awhile I was dissembling to the non-brokies...now I've decided they can just think me peculiar - I stopped 'justifying' around 9 viewings...
-Lynne
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:15:17 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 01:13:32 am »
Paul/Montferrat, we are still at a 1:2 ratio!  I'm at (roughly) 20.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:33:13 pm »
I've seen it 32 times in the theatres, and I'm just about to watch my DVD.  I will be back to the theatres this Thursday, and will keep seeing it in the theatres until it's gone.  (let's see if I can make it to 40...)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:16:20 am »
I have a lot of catching up to do, it seems.

8th time yesterday on Heaths birthday!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 03:37:07 pm »
Seen it 9 times in the theatre.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 04:46:55 pm »
BTW, you can change your vote on here if you now fall into a new category.  Now that the DVD is out, I have a feeling that 30+ category is going to get higher.

This movie is going to be a cult favorite.  Rocky Brokeback Mountain Picture Show!
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 10:16:48 am »
I saw it only two times in the theatre, and a third time when I got my DVD.  The DVD came on Thursday, and I resisted temptation and didn't watch it that night cuz I knew a friend was coming over to watch it with me Friday.

I saw it the first time December 30.  I couldn't bear going again until about 3 weeks later.  I remember posting (on IMDB) about my fears of seeing it a second time...  Brokeback Fever had hit me so hard:  walked around like a zombie, couldn't concentrate, would unexpectedly burst into tears, lost a lot of sleep.  And my fears came true:  my symptoms spiked after the second time.

How in the world could anyone stand so many viewings?!?  I wudda ended up institutionalized, for damned sure.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 02:19:11 pm »
Update:  I am up to 35 theatre viewings.   :)

I've watched my DVD once, and will wait to do so again until it is completely gone from the theatres.  ;)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 04:45:02 pm »
I changed the poll to remove 'in the theatre' so we can keep up with total viewings.  I'm stopping my personal count with 19 theatre viewings.

...Brokeback Fever had hit me so hard:  walked around like a zombie, couldn't concentrate, would unexpectedly burst into tears, lost a lot of sleep.  And my fears came true:  my symptoms spiked after the second time.

How in the world could anyone stand so many viewings?!?  I wudda ended up institutionalized, for damned sure.

We've been talking some in the Ladies' Corner about the need to be institutionalized. :) Seriously, this has worked its way into my subconscious and my dreams in a way nothing else I can ever remember.  I have had all the symptoms you mention plus the Brokeback evangelism problem where I'm nearly desperate for someone I know to understand this (and they do not - so you can add disappointment and frustration to the list).  I'll think I'm over the evangelism once and for all, and then something will spark an idea and I'm off again.

I've made a pact with myself that I WILL NOT visit this board during work hours.  The past few weeks, if I ever get here, the next thing I know, hours have elapsed....probably not a good career move.

For me it's not a matter of 'standing' so many viewings, but more of a compulsion to see it again.  I think I am only really processing my feelings about it a little bit at a time and being engrossed there on Brokeback is giving me the space to work on them.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 01:23:28 pm »
hey, I'm in the top six..always nice to be in the top six...I think I'll go watch my lousy DVD on my lousier DVD player...ya got somethin', it's better'n nothin'

CLICK TO ENLARGE...and--you can slide it around, too (gee, I usually post the other one..)The others are also among o my favorites:

I never said: 25 times in the theater, and my fantastic laptop will be home tomorrow aftrer a trip to Ohio, AND I get to see it on a huge, magnificent Sony, with the best DVD equipment in the country tomorrow too-made a convert.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 06:00:12 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 02:21:33 pm »
I saw it 5 times in theatres. Before BBM, I had never seen a movie more than twice in theatres.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

moremojo

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 11:23:41 am »
I saw this very great film five times in the theatre. I would have gone even more, if the last theatre in the area showing it had not pulled the film the weekend before the DVD was released.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:17:56 pm by moremojo »

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 04:51:24 pm »
Update:  I made it to 38 theatre viewings.   ;D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 07:41:22 pm »
I've only seen it 4 times believe it or not....including both theaters and DVD...

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 10:11:40 am »
I've only seen it 4 times believe it or not....including both theaters and DVD...

Me too.  Twice in the theatres and twice at home.  Brokeback Mountain is now filed away in my collection cabinets.

There are two reasons:  1) my symptoms of Brokeback Fever spike after every viewing; and 2) I fear that seeing it too often  within too little time between viewings will make it lose its magic.

Each time I've seen it, there are new things to discover and other things I've forgotten about, and this helps me keep it all fresh.
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

TJ

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 02:48:26 pm »
I could only afford to see the movie in a theater only once. But, I have viewed the DVD Movie 3 times at home. I am going to take the DVD back up to my friend Ken's next week because he wants to see it again and see what he missed the first time.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 02:06:58 am »
Lynne -

>30 for me! Have you ever seen that sign with the thermometer and the liquid is splurting out of the top? This would be me when it comes to this question. It's off the charts (and actually I am a little embarrassed to admit it). I just love this movie!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 01:29:01 pm »
David,

No need to be embarassed ;)  You're among friends, believe me.  19 was my magic number in the theatre.  Then I stopped counting.  I stopped mentioning it to most other folks in my life when they started giving me sideways looks and suggesting therapy. ::)

I'm glad you're here!

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 05:01:17 pm »
Well thank you Lynne. I appreciate it! :)

Offline pgcatz

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 08:12:17 pm »
I am almost at 100, still watching and still crying

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 10:33:14 pm »
I am almost at 100, still watching and still crying

100? That's pretty good! Yeah, that is pretty good. I think I still have you beat.... but 100 is definately good! ;)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 12:46:39 pm »
23 theatre viewings, and I enjoyed every minute! 

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 01:15:06 pm »
I have watched it 4 times. I try to watch it once a month. I know that does not sound like I really love this movie,I do very much, and it's because I love this movie I limit watching it too much. I don't want it to loose it's magic for me by overkill .I'm due real soon to watch it again on one of my Sunday movie marathons.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 01:05:11 am »
17 times in the theatre. Believe it or not, but I've only watched my DVD once, so 18 times total.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 05:00:14 pm »
Update:  I stand at 44 Theatrical viewings. :D    Only 3 times on DVD though.

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 12:33:08 am »
I missed it in the theater all togheter.  One of the worst decisions I ever made.  I've seen it countless times on DVD though - but that's just not the same.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline JT

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2006, 02:13:25 pm »
I'm extremely ashame that I did not watch it in the theater.  I could kick my ass for that, but I watched it over 70 times in DVD.  If there ever was a re-run in my theater, I will definately go see it, even if I have to quit work to do it.  Dumb ass me!

moremojo

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 08:33:35 pm »
Update: I have watched the film once all the way through on my DVD copy. That's right--only once so far! It's hard to explain, but watching the movie in my home is unusually heart-wrenching--it was one thing to experience the movie in the theatre and take the memory of it and all its attendant emotions  home with you, it's quite another to have that happen directly in your abode. The movie is somehow too powerful for that space.

So I revisit the boys via the DVD in increments, very rarely venturing past their departure from the mountain. In my heart, that's where I want to think of them being always.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 08:46:07 pm »
Update: I have watched the film once all the way through on my DVD copy. That's right--only once so far! It's hard to explain, but watching the movie in my home is unusually heart-wrenching--it was one thing to experience the movie in the theatre and take the memory of it and all its attendant emotions  home with you, it's quite another to have that happen directly in your abode. The movie is somehow too powerful for that space.

So I revisit the boys via the DVD in increments, very rarely venturing past their departure from the mountain. In my heart, that's where I want to think of them being always.

Ditto here.  I've yet to watch it all the way through at home.  I made it through lucky 13 viewings at the theaters and was just emotionally trashed each time.

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2006, 11:22:30 am »
It has now been three weeks since I last saw BBM, I haven't even seen ONE scene. It's hard, but it's for a good cause, I was getting tired of it, to be honest, and I NEVER want that to happen. All in all, I have seen the movie in the cinema 4 times and twice on DVD, but I have watched seperate scenes a more than that I guess.

I made it through lucky 13 viewings at the theaters and was just emotionally trashed each time.

I felt the same way, I couldn't communicate properly anymore!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2006, 02:05:56 am »
I just upgraded my vote to over 30....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2006, 12:42:56 pm »
I just upgraded mine to 16-20.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline JT

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 07:46:21 pm »
I can no longer upgrade since last time.  I'm approaching 100 I think.  Still produce tears in me.  I don't watch it everyday anymore, but I'll never get tired of it.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 12:27:40 pm »
I've seen it an even dozen times in the theaters, counting the trip to Bay City.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 08:13:26 pm »
Following my two viewings at the BBQ I am up to 20.

I watched it once in a big room full of Brokies, which everybody sat in reverent silence. Then the next night I watched with about half a dozen other Brokies, and we stopped the DVD every couple of minutes to comment on symbolism, subtexts, double meanings, bloopers, subtleties, favorite observations and everything else we could think of. It took us five hours to get through 134 minutes!

Both were peak Brokie experiences.

:D  :-*

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 01:03:44 pm »

It would be interesting to see how this poll might change for some of us old-timers at this stage, over 2 years out.

Do folks still keep track of their numbers-of-times-viewed?  I really stopped keepin track a long time ago.  But, on average I'd say I watch about once every 2 months.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 01:32:45 pm »
Good question. I haven't watched it since the five-hour annotated viewing at the BBQ, last Memorial Day weekend. So it's been more than a year!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

It really surprises me to realize that.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2008, 01:37:30 pm »
We'll be watching in high-definition on Tuesday night from our perch in the Tetons, starting around 9:30 pm Mountain Daylight Time at the Wyoming Roundup. Join in with us, everyone!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 04:58:20 am »
Good question. I haven't watched it since the five-hour annotated viewing at the BBQ, last Memorial Day weekend. So it's been more than a year!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

It really surprises me to realize that.

That was true for me until I saw it a couple of weeks ago when Eric came to town, and he and Lynne and Mr. Meno and I saw it in a theater here.