Author Topic: Ennis and Jack in H.O. Scale  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Ennis and Jack in H.O. Scale
« on: September 05, 2006, 09:11:32 am »
Just wanted to share this.  :)

My copy of the October issue of Model Railroader magazine arrived in the mail just before I left town to visit my dad for the Labor Day weekend.

The cover photo is of a model of a Union Pacific Railroad freight train. On a bluff above the train, watching it pass, are two figures of cowboys on horseback.

Since the Union Pacific traverses Wyoming ... Ennis and Jack in H.O. scale?  ;D

While I was visiting my dad, I managed to hit a couple of the model train shops in my home town. No little figures of cowboys on horseback.  :(

I'll be on the lookout, though. I've already got H.O. scale sheep, now all I need is Ennis and Jack!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Ennis and Jack in H.O. Scale
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:58:13 am »
Can you post a picture??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 12:08:26 pm »
Can you post a picture??

Best I can do is a link to an image of the magazine cover at the magazine's web site. For what it's worth. ...

(Hope it works.)

http://www.trains.com/mrr/objects/images/mrr061001lrg.jpg

Edit: OK, I just tried it and the link worked for me.  :D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 01:17:35 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 07:00:26 pm »
Heh.  Now if only the background was more green and fertile looking...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 06:01:54 pm »
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 10:18:13 pm »
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sure enough, Ennis and Jack and a train. Some high class entertainment!  :D

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 10:22:17 pm »
Ennis, Jack, and a train? That's kinky.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 10:59:20 pm »
Ennis, Jack, and a train? That's kinky.

That depends.  ::)

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 11:14:27 pm »
Heh.  Now if only the background was more green and fertile looking...

It actually looks a lot like the country between Grand Junction, Colorado, and Price, Utah. The Book Cliffs, they're called. The Green River basin near Rock Springs, Wyoming, looks like that, too.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 09:05:50 am »
It actually looks a lot like the country between Grand Junction, Colorado, and Price, Utah. The Book Cliffs, they're called. The Green River basin near Rock Springs, Wyoming, looks like that, too.

Maybe they're on one of their fishin' trips and stopped to watch the train go by. "Years on years," Annie has them horse-packing all over Wyoming.  :D

Offline David

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 08:19:37 am »
Damn!   I used to love getting Model Railroading magazine!

but I was always disappointed my layout never looked as good as the ones featured.   LOL.     

Like Jimmy stewart said in "it's a wonderful life".   The best sounds in the world are Train Whistles and steam ship whistles".  (or something like that).    :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 10:08:34 pm »
Damn!   I used to love getting Model Railroading magazine!

but I was always disappointed my layout never looked as good as the ones featured.   LOL.     

Mine either, David, though for starters because I don't have a permanent layout!  :laugh:

But then I decided--I run these trains for my pleasure and recreation, and that's all that matters!  ;D

All aboard for Riverton!  :laugh:

Offline David

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 08:55:16 am »
Jeff,  ya need to have a recreation on your layout with the train running past Aguirres trailer like in the begining of the movie.     A trailer with the church behind it,  Jacks truck, Aguirres Rambler and a small Ennis trying not to get caught peeking at Jack shaving.     ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 11:26:47 am »
When Ennis and I went up to Estes Park to check out the site for our BBQ next May, we passed a loooooong coal train on its way south from the Powder River Basin of Wyoming. It was a beautiful sight, even though it was, after all, a coal train. Winding snakelike alongside the river through the valley. The Powder River Basin, or PRB as it's called, has the finest coal in North America (sorry if I'm insulting you, Mr. Pennsylvania) and it's up where Lightning Flat is in the northeastern corner of the state, also in Montana. 

I have a picture on my other computer that I'll hunt up and post...

I read a great, tho long story in The New Yorker this summer called "Coal Train" written by the incredible author John McPhee. I recommend it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 06:17:11 pm »
Jeff,  ya need to have a recreation on your layout with the train running past Aguirres trailer like in the begining of the movie.     A trailer with the church behind it,  Jacks truck, Aguirres Rambler and a small Ennis trying not to get caught peeking at Jack shaving.     ;D

Well, churches I got more than enough of, and they do make HO scale house trailers.

I can't believe they couldn't scare up an old caboose somewhere to tie onto the end of that train for that shot where the train recedes into the distance as Jack's pickup comes up the street. In 1963, a freight train in the U.S. would have had a caboose, not one of those infernal E.O.T. ("end of train") devices.  >:(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 06:21:11 pm »
I read a great, tho long story in The New Yorker this summer called "Coal Train" written by the incredible author John McPhee. I recommend it.

I love McPhee's pieces. I read that story, too. Probably should have kept that issue, except that I give my New Yorkers to a colleague at work when I'm done with them.

I hate to think what's being done to the Powder River Basin, though.  ???

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 07:36:23 pm »
I kept mine...learned my lesson with Brokeback Mountain. I kept that issue for several years, but then ripped out the pages and threw away the magazine in a fit of spring cleaning. Of course, the pages are squirreled away and my most precious possession now, along with love letters from my children.