Author Topic: getting hit hard by offhand revelations (story discussion)  (Read 151942 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
getting hit hard by offhand revelations (story discussion)
« on: September 07, 2006, 12:34:21 am »
Katherine asked this question ages ago, when we were discussing the brief reference to Jack's post-divorce drive ("twelve hundred miles for nothing"):

Tell me, though, why did that particular line devastate you for a week? You mean because you were haunted by the image of Jack driving all that way, full of hope, for nothing?

And I know this sounds like a book-club question, but: What do you suppose Annie's reasoning was, from a storytelling perspective, for mentioning things like the phone call and the punch in such a SEEMINGLY offhand way, long after their actual occurence?

I know it's taken me a long time to answer the question. Not four f'ing years, but long enough.

My first response is: you know, that isn't the only time in the story that important information, particularly important emotional information, comes out in an off-hand kind of way, at the end of a sentence or a paragraph that, at first glance, appears to be about something else.

The first example is in the prologue, in the first paragraph:

"...Again the ranch is on the market and they've shipped out the last of the horses, paid everybody off the day before, the owner saying, "Give em to the real estate shark, I'm out a here," dropping the keys in Ennis's hand. He might have to stay with his married daughter until he picks up another job, yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Here's this entire paragraph that's about -- what? Rural poverty, the loss of Western land to developers, and the lifestyle of a guy who's more than a little rough around the edges, peeing in the sink, hanging his clothes from a nail or something? It's not just unromantic -- it's anti-romantic.

And then, at the end of the paragraph, there's that little half-sentence. ...he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream. And there, almost hidden at the end of run-on sentences and bleak descriptions, is the most important detail in the entire prologue.

It's... well, it's a surprise, I guess. Here I, the reader, have been lulled into thinking that I understand this character and his situation, and then suddenly, in half a sentence, everything I understood is turned on its head. It's not the way I would structure, say, a scientific argument, but I think there's something powerful about forcing a sudden change in perception. It's like... I don't know, like a Zen koan, or like suddenly waking up. It draws attention to the detail that's out of place.

And it's a particularly appropriate structure for characterizing Ennis. I mean, if you didn't pay that close attention to Ennis, you might see a guy who works hard, has earned enough respect to be responsible for the keys to the ranch, but who hasn't earned enough money to own a ranch himself. And a guy who... well, he doesn't quite seem the cocktail party type, does he? But the surface appearances don't even begin to tell the story of Ennis del Mar, and the real story slips out only at the end, only if you're paying attention.

And that's not the only time that the end of a sentence or paragraph contains something unexpected, something apparently unrelated, a kind of revelation:

"They never talked about the sex, let it happen, at first only in the tent at night, then in the full daylight with the hot sun striking down, and at evening in the fire glow, quick, rough, laughing and snorting, no lack of noises, but saying not a goddamn word except once Ennis said, 'I'm not no queer,' and Jack jumped in with 'Me neither. A one-shot thing. Nobody's business but ours.'"

"Years on years they worked their way through the high meadows and mountain drainages...[snip]...but never returning to Brokeback."

The whole paragraph in which Ennis and Jack talk about other affairs, but which ends with:

"Ennis laughed a little and said he probably deserved it. Jack said he was doing all right but he missed Ennis bad enough sometimes to make him whip babies."

"Ennis didn't know about the accident for months until his postcard to Jack saying that November still looked like the first chance came back marked DECEASED."

And the sentence I was thinking about, right after it:

"He called Jack's number in Childress, something he had done only once before when Alma divorced him and Jack had misunderstood the reason for the call, had driven twelve hundred miles north for nothing."

I guess the structure of the whole story also hides the main point until the end. Lots of people have pointed out that, after the reunion at least, Jack and Ennis seem to talk about their attraction to each other a lot:

"'Christ, it got a be all that time a yours ahorseback that makes it so goddamn good.'"

"'Sure as hell seem in one piece to me...'"

"'...I sure wrang it out a hunderd times thinkin about you.'"

"'That's one a the two things I need right now...'"

But you know what? All that time, they're talking about sex. So they seem to accept the sex, and unlike on the mountain, they even talk about it.

But the emotional depth of the relationship isn't apparent... until the flashback to the dozy embrace.

And then the offhand mention of the twelve hundred drive for nothing.

And then learning that Jack wanted his ashes spread on Brokeback Mountain, that it was "his place."

And then Old Man Twist's revelation that Jack had talked about bringing Ennis up to Lightning Flat, at least until that last visit.

And then the description of the punch, mixed together with the discovery of the shirts.

It's like being slammed, over and over, with the realization that these weren't just two guys who enjoyed having sex with one another -- this was an incredibly profound love. And we don't learn the depth of it until Jack's dead.

I know enough about the short story form to know about O. Henry's stories, and about the way the plot always goes off in an unexpected direction at the end. I guess, in a way, Brokeback Mountain follows that form. But it isn't Jack's death that's the surprise, or at least, it isn't the biggest surprise. It's the discovery of the love we had missed noticing all along. Love, not just sex -- that's the twist.

And I think the whole story structure is part of the characterization of Ennis, as well. We're never allowed too deeply into Ennis's mind. We're allowed to see some of the events, and we're allowed to see the sex. But the love... the details that point to it are mentioned in offhand comments, as if they are pushed out of mind, until Jack's dead and the realization all comes together.

And then, going back and reading the story again, all those details that add up to the love start to stand out. Pawing the white out of the moon. The headlong, irreversible fall. Trying to puke in the whirling snow. "Little darlin." "This ain't no little thing that's happenin here." Reading the story for a second time is like dreaming with Ennis.

And those shirts were there, all along, in the second sentence of the story.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:36:41 pm by nakymaton »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: getting hit hard by offhand revelations (story)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:45:14 am »

What a genius of a post, wish I could write like that!  good work Mel!   :-* :-*

J

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
Re: getting hit hard by offhand revelations (story discussion)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 01:08:08 pm »
Well, I wish I could write like Annie Proulx.

Though I don't know if she had to make the story so completely anti-romantic. It sets up a really powerful contrast with the love symbolized by the shirts, yeah. But a more subtle balance might have been possible.

(In particular, the story about Jack's father abusing him during toilet training seems... I don't know. Like a deliberate counterbalance to all those emotional revelations, like Annie Proulx had to prove that she wasn't one of those sappy romantic woman writers, despite writing an image as powerful as those two shirts like two skins. I've never heard anyone explain or defend the toilet episode.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:39:49 pm »
See, I'm not a writer, and I wasn't an English major, and ...  (I'm) somebody who, honestly, sucks at this kind of thing.

Could have fooled me. And I AM a writer. And a former English major. And like to think I have some grasp of why stories work. Mel, if you hated English lit in high school, yet you can write something like this, you must be a f'in genius as a geologist. I burst into tears about five paragraphs in, partly because it reminds me of the sad story, partly because I wish I could have read it this well.

Tell you what, I've never been big on the short story, compared to the movie. But I don't think I ever completely "got" it, despite the fact that I actually did  first read it in a book club, years ago. This is the best appreciation of it I've ever seen. (And I should add that last week, I spent several days and about 100,000 words on imdb, arguing with someone smart about a single sentence -- the one about Ennis being reluctant to hold a man in the dozy embrace -- and still didn't improve my appreciation of that one sentence as much as this has improved my appreciation of the whole story.)

I hate the peeing scene, too, though. I think this

Annie Proulx had to prove that she wasn't one of those sappy romantic woman writers, despite writing an image as powerful as those two shirts like two skins.

is a perfect way of explaining not only that scene but a lot of the story. But excluding the peeing, and maybe the embrace from behind (I'm still on the fence about that one), that's exactly what makes the story great, hunh?

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 02:29:55 pm »
Nicely stated, Mel! I never thought of it in the way that you have presented it ... well done!

As for OMT peeing on Jack ... it is, IMO, a glimpse into Jack's life ... what he endured as a child and what he had to overcome.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 02:33:31 pm »
I echo Katherine's thoughts. Wow. Just wow. I'll forevermore look at the story a different way. Perhaps it has to do with me reading it without the prologue (but I doubt it). And here's my copy of the story that I carry everywhere with me, the pages dogeared beyond recognition and out of order, peppered with highlighted words, crossed out words, and notes, with coffee stains and wine stains and burns from being too close to a hot computer...now I think in your honor I will have to make a whole new copy from the original New Yorker pages that I keep enshrined by my bed, or better yet, get a copy that has the prologue. When I do, would you autograph it please??  :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 02:56:01 pm »
Bravo, Mel, bravo!

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 03:07:26 pm »
It's not the new revelations that are hitting me, but new layers of the same ones.  The implications of those precious moments from BBM continue to create new ripples in my understanding of who I am and where I fit in this world.  It's sort of like chronic fatigue syndrome...one day fine, maybe for weeks or months fine, then all of sudden, wham...I'm down for th count again.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 03:43:49 pm »
Mel, this is extremely perceptive and wonderfully written. Thank you.  :-*

I think it describes perfectly how (and why) I was reading through the short story back in November and in all honesty wondering a bit what the fuss was all about....... and then, how upon reaching the last page it hit me full force  like a freigth train. Whereupon I had to re-read obsessively and got the full impact of all those little deceptively unobtrusive half-sentences that give away the love and the full extent of the tragedy.

In particular, the story about Jack's father abusing him during toilet training seems... I don't know. Like a deliberate counterbalance to all those emotional revelations, like Annie Proulx had to prove that she wasn't one of those sappy romantic woman writers...

I do find that little story very Proulx'ish. It would have fit directly into any other Close Range story. (I find several of them so depressing that I won't be re-reading them any time soon. I'm sure they're nothing but realistic and keenly observed, but there's such an overwhelming bleakness to the depiction of human nature). So I'm not certain she did it to specifically prove she's not sappy - I see it more as Proulx just being Proulx.

Plus, I see the peeing incident as a testament to the hardships (Ennis and) Jack endured and seemingly took pretty much for granted that they'd just have to endure during their formative years. Such a horrible abuse story, - and the anatomical difference was what made the most impression on Jack, not his father's horrible mistreatment of him.....?

I'm not certain of the placement of the abuse story in the narrative, if accepting that it had to be in the story at all. I think the film shows how much more of an impression, how much more tense the scene in the Twist household becomes without any detours to Jack's murder or to Jack's childhood. But I suppose it makes sense that Ennis would feel the need to be reminding himself that he *knew* OMT was a horrible bastard, so shouldn't be surprised he'd tell Ennis what he just did. Perhaps Ennis is trying to convince himself OMT was lying about the ranch neighbor specifically to hurt Ennis? Wouldn't hold it past a guy who could treat his little son that way.

despite writing an image as powerful as those two shirts like two skins.

That *is* powerful. And then the film has managed to increase the power in several ways, I think. Not only in switching the shirts at the end (And I bow down to Heath for suggesting that), but in making Jack steal Ennis's shirt, and creating this 2-shirts symbol of his love for Ennis, as early as that last day on Brokeback.   As far as I read the short story, Jack preserved his own shirt with Ennis's blood as a memory - but then didn't steal Ennis's shirt to be able to create the symbolic "two skins " until some (much) later time. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 04:16:14 pm by Mikaela »

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 04:02:09 pm »
So I'm not certain she did it to specifically prove she's not sappy - I see it more as Proulx just being Proulx.

I don't know if I see these as very separate things. I think Proulx typically goes out of her way to de-sentimentalize her prose, probably in all her stories but especially when they threaten to veer toward a tone that might otherwise be regarded as sentimental or sappy.

Another example is that sentence in the dozy embrace scene about Ennis not wanting to embrace Jack face to face (and believe me, I am not bringing this up in order to revitalize the debate over that sentence, which I am thoroughly sick of at this point, but ...). Here she's describing the sweetest scene in the story, and she undermines the mood with that sentence. She may have other reasons for it, but I think in part it's a deliberate effort to yank the prose back from the precipice of sentimentality.

BTW, Mel, I sure am glad I encouraged you to write this -- and even more glad that you actually did! You really have changed my view of the story. I still like the movie better, but I can now appreciate the value of those "seemingly offhand" remarks, and realize that in their own way they may be just as effective, at least in print, as the movie's more head-on way of depicting the same events.

At the same time, I also think the movie makes an effort to preserve some of that seemingly offhand approach. My favorite example is Old Man Twist. Just as you note in the paragraph about Ennis, you form an impression of him and then discover something significant and apparently contradictory about him practically as an afterthought. You get that OMT is a jerk, but only later do you notice, wait a minute, he's a jerk but he's not an overtly homophobic jerk.