Author Topic: BBM didn't win Best Picture Oscar - but not to fret!  (Read 8925 times)

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: BBM didn't win Best Picture Oscar - but not to fret!
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 08:11:09 pm »
The best reward? As much as watching this film hurts, it also makes me feel better. When you figure out why, please let me in on the reason.

You know, I feel the same way when I watch this movie.  I don't know why either.  It even helps me lower my blood pressure!  To me, maybe this movie has some hidden tranquilness that secretly affects us, maybe it's the subject matter that finally hit the mainstream and becomes more visible, or maybe constant pain these characters express is something we all can relate to, but I know either.  This movie has an impact on me more than any other movie that I loved.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 02:10:59 am »
I'm going to do one of my favorite tricks and copy this from the main stats page on imdb about our beloved Brokeback.

Awards: Won 3 Oscars. Another 68 wins & 57 nominations

I love that.  It always makes me feel better when I get to worrying about the whole Oscars debacle.  The list posted in the first post of this thread is also amazing to consider in light of what happened to Brokeback.  In a similar vein, I wonder how many other movies have ever won this many awards/ nominations?

All of these things never fail to make me feel better.

The sad thing about how imdb records this is that they highlight the Oscars as if they're really all that much more important than those other "68 wins."  Within those 68 are some hugely prestigious awards, including the Venice Golden Lion (as mentioned previously), the Golden Globes, etc., etc.   

And of course the MTV Best Kiss.   ::) :-* 8)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 02:14:16 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline JT

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 01:10:49 pm »
I don't know but another 68 wins and 57 nominations sound pretty darn good to me for a movie that didn't win oscar's best pictures.  Now anyone here know how many other awards and nominations the oscar best picture "winner" actually won?  Or do we care?

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 03:34:56 pm »
In spite of the real truth that Academy Award winners are, generally, a result of massive politics, money, and favoritism (what isn't?  >:() , I am "fretting" about the unfair lose BBM suffered at the awards.

The Acadamy almost always plays it safe for the mass audience and their bread and butter. Midnight Cowboy was really the only time they awarded a truly breakthrough film the top honor. Often, the academy awards the so-called mainstream, popular films while allowing the more true-to-the-art awards be handled by film festivals, guild associations, etc.

In spite of this, BBM deserved on every level to win. Crash was only, if at all, partially breakthrough or innovative. There have been many great and award winning films on the theme of race relations, but no other film has effectively broached the subject matter of BBM previously.

And by the by, only one other time in its entire history has the academy awarded a film best picture without winning the director/writing double play or any acting awards at all. Only ONCE!

Offline JT

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 01:18:29 am »
32 wins, 55 other nominations

Less than have the wins BBM got?  The Oscars were indeed playing favoritism.  I guess we all know that with out looking at all those wins.