Author Topic: The Academy trying to prove it's not homophobic?  (Read 14049 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
The Academy trying to prove it's not homophobic?
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:48:24 pm »
After last years debacle of Academy members saying they weren't going to view BBM because they didn't want to see two males having sex (45 seconds or so of it), maybe the Academy is trying to prove something. It's rather early for the Academy to annouce a host, isn't it. Of course, it will give DeGeneres time to prepare for the big event. The movies that have been talked about as potential nominees coming out latter in the year indicate a rather violent line-up. Remember last year, they said the line-up was so political, i.e. Capote and BBM's characters had so many discussions of gay marriage, don't you remember. ;)

DeGeneres To Host 2007 Oscars

Ellen DeGeneres will host the Oscars for the first time in 2007. The comedienne-turned-US talk show host will take charge of the 79th Academy Awards on February 27 at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood. DeGeneres hasn't even appeared on an Academy Awards telecast, but ceremony producer Laura Ziskin is convinced she's the perfect choice to take over from this year's host Jon Stewart. Ziskin says, "Ellen DeGeneres was born to host the Academy Awards. There is no more challenging hosting job in show business. It requires someone who can keep the show alive and fresh and moving, as well as someone who is a flat-out great entertainer. Ellen completely fits the bill. I can already tell she is going to set the bar very high for herself and therefore for all of us involved in putting on the show." Emmy Award winner DeGeneres didn't waste any time in accepting the chance to host the Oscars. She says, "When Laura Ziskin called, I was thrilled. There's two things I've always wanted to do in my life - one is to host the Oscars. The second is to get a call from Laura Ziskin. You can imagine that day's diary entry." DeGeneres isn't new to show business' biggest stages - she has twice hosted the Primetime Emmy Awards telecast and co-hosted the show in 1994. She also earned acclaim for her first solo Emmy stint, which took place shortly after the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: The Academy trying to prove it's not homophobic?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 07:36:00 pm »
I just heard this.  I also think it's damage control.  Do everything BUT give an award.  Too late.  For me anyway.  The Academy has earned my contempt. 

I liked Jon Stewart actually.  I thought he was one of the best since Crystal.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 07:44:01 pm »
I'm kind of sad, actually. Because I like Ellen DeGeneres -- I think she's very likable and charming and cute and funny. Unfortunately, I won't be watching her host the Academy Awards.

(Though as for Jon Stewart, he's even more likable and charming and cute and funny than Ellen is. In fact, there are few people on earth more L, C, C and F than he is.)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 07:45:05 pm »
Yes, too late. I don't care who they trot out to lead the show, I'm not watching. The AMPAS does not deserve my time or attention, they sure saw to me realizing that last year. So be it.

ETA: Actually, I'm sorry that Ellen DeGeneres accepted to host the thing. She's got to realize part of the reason why she was asked to do so is the damage control factor. I like her - I'd rather she not be associated with the AMPAS putting on makeup trying to make themselves look less homophobic. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:50:27 pm by Mikaela »

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 07:48:08 pm »
It's still a milestone that an openly homosexual person has signed up for this prestigious gig. And like Katherine, I think Ellen DeGeneres is wonderful, both as an entertainer and as a human being. But it would just feel like a betrayal of Jack and Ennis to watch next year's show...I'm feeling, as of now, that I can only bow out of that one. I still wish Ellen the best.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 08:41:21 pm »
It figures.  I've been saying for *years* that they should tap Ellen Degeneres to host the Oscars.  And *now* they do it.  As my 12th grade Physics teacher said the day Tom Simbari threw up all over his desk while he was giving a lecture on momentum, that's just perfect.   :P

I don't care if Jesus Christ hosts the show.  Or even Jake.  Naked.  I won't be watching it.  Ever again.

A part of me is sad I'll miss Ellen hosting it.  Another part of me is sad that she even accepted the gig knowing full well (and she must) that, as you've all said, it's damage control disguised as the obvious common sense choice of the best person on the planet for it, which she has always been.  But most of me is just sad that those rat bastards did what they did last year and are still largely getting away with it.

And you may or may not have heard it here first, folks, but here's my prediction for nominee and very likely winner of the Best Supporting Actor Oscar this year - Steve Carell, in "Little Miss Sunshine," for playing a gay man (and a liberal professor one at that) who only *talks* about being gay but who never kisses another man or *gasp* has implied anal sex with one.

Screw the Academy and the horses they rode in on.
No more beans!

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 09:05:11 pm »
  I will never watch it.

I wish we could send Ellen postcards or letters expressing how we feel.   I don't know if she is aware of how the awards show and its obvious homophobia had affected us, and for that reason, there will be fewer viewers.  It probably won't make a difference, but maybe she could address it in one of the many interviews she'll have between now and then.

A member of another forum said that we should get one of the LA movie theaters, maybe the Aero Theater in Santa Monica, to run BBM on the very night of the academy awards (small a's) broadcast!  Wouldn't that be a hoot?!

Adrian

There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 09:07:57 pm »
I don't care if Jesus Christ hosts the show.  Or even Jake.  Naked.  I won't be watching it.  Ever again.

Jake . . . . . . . . naked??  Hmmm.  That's a tough one ednbarby.  I might have to think that one over.  ;)
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 10:30:09 pm »
Jake . . . . . . . . naked??  Hmmm.  That's a tough one ednbarby.  I might have to think that one over.  ;)

OK, in that case, maybe, just maybe, I'd check out the hosting highlights on youtube after the fact.  But that wouldn't be the same as actually watching it, would it?  ;)
No more beans!

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 12:05:58 am »
Not watching the Oscars until the Irving Thalberg goes to Heath Ledger for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar, and the academy delivers a formal apology for discriminating against Brokeback Mountain and gay people in the film industry.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 12:09:53 am »
OK, in that case, maybe, just maybe, I'd check out the hosting highlights on youtube after the fact.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Barb, if there were a skeptical smiley icon, I'd be lining them up all across the top of the page to comment on your post that you wouldn't watch even if Jake were hosting naked. But I'm perfectly willing to believe that the ONLY way you would ever watch the Oscars is under those conditions.

;) :laugh:

It's still a milestone that an openly homosexual person has signed up for this prestigious gig.

Which reminds me of something I'd love to post. Lately I've been watching "The View." (Hey, so it's while I'm working out, OK??!) Anyway, Rosie O'Donnel started as a host and, although formerly I was never much of a Rosie fan, I'll have to say that she's been great: funny, charming ... and completely casual about being gay. It is SO refreshing. I don't watch Ellen regularly, but according to the NYT review of Rosie, Ellen never refers to her sexuality. Not that viewers are in the dark about it, obviously. But why be secretive? It feels like Rosie is taking aytime TV up a notch, to where it's not even an issue, let alone a secret.

UPDATE: LOL, Flashframe, the first time I read your post I thought you said you weren't watching the Oscars until the ACTUAL Irving Thalberg, the long-dead 1930s producer, goes to Heath Ledger and ... But then, what's the difference? Both that and your scenario will probably happen at about the same time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 10:41:15 am by latjoreme »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 08:39:03 am »
Not watching the Oscars until the Irving Thalberg goes to Heath Ledger for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar, and the academy delivers a formal apology for discriminating against Brokeback Mountain and gay people in the film industry.

Yep.  Or when pigs fly.  That will seriously be the time I ever watch that show again.

This year and every year here on out, I'll be watching the BAFTAs and the Independent Spirit Awards.  Both of those are done in the spirit in which these things should really be done.  I don't always agree with their choices, but I like their style.  I'm seriously considering writing off the Golden Globes, too.  They used to be irreverent and fun, but now they're getting more like the Oscars all the time.  Stupid presenter speeches, cutting off acceptance speeches, spending too much time doing tributes that no one cares about and not enough time focusing on the performances and movies being honored.  The Emmys are the same damn way.  I'm tired of all of it.  I guess the time was gonna come eventually.  The AMPAS just took them all out for me with a single shot instead of prolonging the agony.
No more beans!

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 03:40:33 pm »
 :-\ well Barb I am inclined to agree with you - I already quit watching the Emmy's since I do not watch network television any more - there just is no point to seeing who won for what show, when I could care less.  Unfortunately, the Oscars were always the one night of the whole year that I would definitely be glued to the tv.  Now it too seems irrelevant, not just because BBM lost for Best Picture when we all know it was the best to come along in many years, decades even, but also because there just isn't anything worth seeing this year so far - maybe the next few months will bring some new films that are Oscar worthy.  Do you think BBM ruined us for other movies for awhile?  I know that personally, I never had a movie touch me like this one did and I have seen hundreds of them.

I did see Superman Returns and it was good and entertaining, but not an Oscar calibre film except maybe special effects or something like that.  Where are the good movies these days?  Ones that make you think and draw your own conclusions, ones that make you smile or laugh at life's absurdities, ones that blow your mind with improbabilities and twists, ones that tear your heart out and leave you wilted and emotional - the kind of movies that I remember and lost myself in for most of my life. Do they exist or has Hollywood settled for the least common denominator and foisted a plethora of Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Rob Schneider, Jack Black and various other 30-somethings on the film-going public who do the same movies over and over again?  I know they can't all be BBM or even on par with it, but give us something that has a hint of intelligence or wit in the writing, enough acting to forget it is a movie, a director who knows how to get actors to make mediocre roles better, and maybe a soupcon of atmosphere or ambiance to tide us over till the next "great" movie comes along.  Too much to ask??

I don't know,  but I think the Oscars need revamping before they ever see the kind of audience that they apparently want.  First the voters will have to become honest and actually see the movies nominated - that alone will go a long way into making the Academy Awards worth my time to watch again.  It's not the fact that BBM lost to Crash, it's that the voting was so skewed by those who never took the time to watch it and therefore were dishonest in their voting, causing an imbalance that was unfair to both films as well as the 3 other nominees.

<-------------off my soapbox now...................... :)
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 03:56:08 pm »
There you go - that's what I'd have said, If I'd had the words!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 02:16:22 am »

Don't forget everyone, Ang Lee will be presenting the Best Director's award.

injest

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 02:45:11 am »
Just FYI here is Ellen's email address for comments...

I sent one telling her we are boycotting the Oscars and I am disappointed to hear she is allowing herself to be used by them...

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/show/dearellen/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 09:10:58 am »
Don't forget everyone, Ang Lee will be presenting the Best Director's award.

Too bad I'll have to miss that.

Funny thing.  I don't feel the least bit torn.  And I swear I still wouldn't even if Heath and Jake were nominated again, which I'm sure they will be sometime in the near future, if not in the same year.  Not watching the Academy Awards ever again was really one of the easiest decisions I've ever made.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 09:13:27 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 01:48:28 pm »

Not watching the Academy Awards ever again was really one of the easiest decisions I've ever made.

Ditto.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 08:09:12 pm »
Ang Lee presenting the best director award?  I hope he says something to the fact that after last years fiaco, BBM and all, the Academy Award doesn't mean as much.  Well I know that's not going to happen. Ironic if he presents the award to Clint Eastwood for his new WWII movie.  I wouldn't reckon Clint even bothered to watch BBM, much less vote for it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 08:37:31 pm »
I wouldn't reckon Clint even bothered to watch BBM, much less vote for it.

Hmm. Hard to tell. I guess I don't know if Clint is homophobic or not (maybe you saw some quote I missed), but you'd think he'd be interested simply because he's a pretty good director himself.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 09:16:22 pm »
Did Clint present the award to Ang Lee? (I didn't watch the broadcast. I don't have TV. So I can't really promise never to watch the Oscars again, because I've never actually watched them. And promising to never sit on the computer waiting for a friend to tell me the results via YIM just doesn't sound the same...)

Ang Lee seems too gracious to decline to present, no matter how he felt.

If Clint Eastwood and Paul Haggis win for something else they collaborate on, though, I will barf up my breakfast the next morning when I hear the news on the radio.

And I'm planning not to watch any movie nominated for any of the big awards (acting, directing, or picture) between the nominations and the awards, and I'm not going to watch whatever movie wins Best Picture, period. (Unless, by some bizarre circumstance, it turns out to be some movie that friends recommended before my nominations period movie blackout.)

Score winners, yeah, I'll check them out. I've tended to like the score choices better than the picture choices in recent years, and score is obscure enough that it isn't an annoying promotional tool.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 10:41:41 pm »
And I'm planning not to watch any movie nominated for any of the big awards (acting, directing, or picture) between the nominations and the awards, and I'm not going to watch whatever movie wins Best Picture, period. (Unless, by some bizarre circumstance, it turns out to be some movie that friends recommended before my nominations period movie blackout.)

Wow. Now THAT'S a boycott.

In that case, here's what I would recommend seeing between now and then: Little Miss Sunshine, The Illusionist (which probably won't be nominated for any big awards anyway) and Hollywoodland (which might be).

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 10:52:46 pm »
Well, it's not that impressive of a boycott. I mean, I only see maybe five movies a year in theaters, at most. I just don't have time, and I hate wasting three hours on something that I'm not going to love. (Little Miss Sunshine and The Illusionist are both in town, but they probably won't be here for long, and I owe the kid a lot of time with him to make up for doing field work last weekend. So... no movies for me for a while. I'll see them on DVD. And I'm not the least bit worried that the Academy will pick something worth seeing as Best Picture. Their track record is just so dismal.) This year, the only movies I've seen in the theater have been Brokeback Mountain, Good Night and Good Luck (very highly rec'd by a friend, so that wasn't an Oscars sale), An Inconvenient Truth, and, ummm, Miami Vice. (Miami Vice was hubby's choice. Not mine. Honest.)

Edit: Also, Zodiac should be playing right around that time, if the release date is right, and it won't be eligible for this year's Oscars. So I'll have one movie I can see in good conscience, if I make time to see anything.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:10:03 pm by nakymaton »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 10:48:45 am »
I plan on doing a similar boycott, actually.  And I do see a *lot* of movies, and in the theater to boot.  It's my hobby and my passion.  What used to be part of that passion was seeing all five of the Best Picture nominees, which I did last year like I do every year, before the awards ceremony.  Wasn't too tough to do last year - I'd already (unfortunately) seen Crash when it came out in May of 2005, Capote and of course Brokeback before they were even nominated.  The challenge was finding Munich after the nominees were announced and when I could make time for it around my repeat viewings of Brokeback, which I finally did at a dollar (now 3 dollar) theater - what fun sitting in that nasty, hard-ass seat for 3 hours it was!

I've seen Little Miss Sunshine and Hollywoodland already.  And I'll continue to see any movie that seems of interest and has potential to be good in my estimation between now and March.  If they happen to be Oscar nominees, I don't care.  Because I won't be going out of my way to learn of the nominees (I used to watch them live every year, and work an hour or two later to make up for the time I missed at work), nor will I care one way or the other what they are.  And I certainly will not ever again make sure I see all five of the nominees.  If I happen to, it won't matter a lick to me.  But I doubt that will be the case - they generally have at least one crowd-pleaser in there that I wouldn't see on a bet.

I will tell you what I absolutely will always boycott - any movie made by Lions Gate.  When I see that a movie is playing at my favorite theater that I want to go see, I check the production company.  If it's Lions Gate, I pass.  And that stands.  Forever.  I don't care if the movie is "Jake Gyllenhaal Naked" - I won't be seeing it.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 02:12:50 pm »
I don't care if the movie is "Jake Gyllenhaal Naked" - I won't be seeing it.

Wow, that's even more impressive than Mel's boycotting determination!

Tell you what, though, I don't blame Lion's Gate -- or even Paul Haggis, for that matter. They just put out a movie. It's not their fault the Academy members are idiots and homophobes. I suppose the noble thing to do would have been to reject the Oscar and admit they're unworthy, but ... well, I guess that's more than I would expect, given human nature.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 03:18:47 pm »
Wow, that's even more impressive than Mel's boycotting determination!

Tell you what, though, I don't blame Lion's Gate -- or even Paul Haggis, for that matter. They just put out a movie. It's not their fault the Academy members are idiots and homophobes. I suppose the noble thing to do would have been to reject the Oscar and admit they're unworthy, but ... well, I guess that's more than I would expect, given human nature.

Actually, that's not true.  Here's a little blurb from an article I just found, a link to which is posted below, that mentions what Lions Gate did to win the Oscar:

To bring it to the attention of the Academy, Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. spent nearly $4 million promoting "Crash," sending out multiple screeners of the film.

"This was by and large a triumph of marketing," said film critic Richard Crouse.

"They spent almost as much money in marketing this film strictly to the Academy Awards and the SAG Awards...as the movie cost to make."

Shot on a $6.5-million budget, "Crash" became a box-office success, grossing $55 million domestically.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060306/oscar_follow_060306/20060306?s_name=oscars2006&no_ads=

My understanding, and maybe Flashframe or someone else here can corroberate this, is that they sent a screener of "Crash" to all 130,000+ members of the Screen Actors Guild, planning to parlay a "Best Ensemble" win there into a Best Picture award at the Oscars.  There was also talk of some underhanded things they did back on the old IMDb board (ads they took out that were vaguely homophobic was one of the things talked about) during the voting period to sway Academy voters against it.  Because let's face it - everyone knows (now, anyway) that many of the voters, if not most of them, don't even bother to see the films nominated, so their votes are completely politically-based.

Some people hate Miramax for the "Shakespeare in Love" win over "Saving Private Ryan" in 1999 because the former "bought" the Academy by sending out slick screeners to every member, blah blah blah.  But here's the difference - critical opinion was pretty evenly split between SiL and SPR leading up to the awards, and each had won a variety of the big critics' circle awards and Golden Globes, BAFTAs and SAG awards.  And in my opinion, SPR was seriously flawed.  The ending went on for 20 minutes longer than it should have, and the movie lost a lot of steam after the thrilling first 20 minutes.  I was thrilled when SiL won because I thought it actually deserved to.  I'm sure there are a handful of people who would say the same of "Crash."  But pretty much everyone I talk to, for what it's worth, thinks SiL deserved to win but Crash did not.

Funny thing.  When SiL won and there was all that backlash against Miramax afterwards, my husband, who *had* seen both movies, and in the theater to boot, said, "Well, you can't polish a turd."

Then, when Crash won in March and I was so livid I was nearly hyperventilating, he said, dumbstruck himself, "It turns out you *can* polish a turd."

I will never watch another Lions Gate movie again.  I do blame them.  They took advantage of the Academy's (and our society's) homophobia just so their crappy ass movie that shouldn't have even been nominated could take the big prize.  I put them in the same category as the Bush Administration's taking advantage of the 9/11 attacks to start a war they were chomping at the bit before they were even put into power to start.  Shame on them.  They can all pucker up and kiss my lily white ass.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 03:54:25 pm »
Hmm... Well, I can understand your anger and you are absolutely entitled to act on it in any way you like, and I'm really reluctant to set myself up as the defender of Crash, a film I found mildly entertaining at best.

But I guess I still don't fault the studio for promoting its own movie. Even for spending a lot of money doing it. It might be crass, and shame on the Academy if its members were swayed by it, and if any of the marketing was even vaguely homophobic it's unforgivable.

But unless I'm missing something I don't find self-promotion intrinsically immoral on the order of the Bush Administration exploiting 9/11 to start a war. And I can't condemn some filmmakers for failing to back off or to acknowledge that a competitor's film was better. Again, underhanded marketing is another matter entirely.

In any case, feel free to boycott! That's just my 2 cents.  :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 04:38:48 pm »
Hey, you - get offa my cloud!

Lookit.  If I wanna boycott an entire movie studio for silly, completely subjective reasons, that's MY business!  Never underestimate spite.  Mine keeps me warm at night.  (Hey - I'm a poet and I don't even know it.)  I try not to let the truth get in the way of a good Spite Fest.  Now leave me be!

;D
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 05:09:49 pm »
Hey, you - get offa my cloud!

Lookit.  If I wanna boycott an entire movie studio for silly, completely subjective reasons, that's MY business!  Never underestimate spite.  Mine keeps me warm at night.  (Hey - I'm a poet and I don't even know it.)  I try not to let the truth get in the way of a good Spite Fest.  Now leave me be!

;D

You are right. Sorry! I'm just so argumentative I'm willing to jump in and defend a movie I hold in contempt myself! (I'm not much for astrology, but it's classic a Libra trait of mine.)

::)  :-*

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 05:17:05 pm »
Let's face it, homophobia is the reason Bush got re-elected.  His "manipulation machine" worked overtime appealing to the religious idiots to come out and vote AGAINST gay mariiage by voting FOR them.  This worked, and frightened all the poor "sheep" of middle American right into their web.  Now, most Americans feel, by recent polls, that they made a terrible mistake, and will probably try to correct it in November.

Well, this tactic worked again in Hollywood, but in a slightly different way.  As you we all know, the gay cowboy jokes were rampant.  Critics loved the movie but it slowly became unpopular to support this 'homosexual' film.  So, Lion's Gate pushed their film as the one that supported all minorities, with a moral that 'healed' relations between all peoples, except gays of course, as there were no gay characters represented.  Funny, being that it took place in Los Angeles.  Anyway, their appeal to the older more conservative voters, the silent homophobic members and those on the fence, worked like a charm.  We know Crash was the worst of the five nomimated for best picture, yet it took the prize.  All that says to me is that the majority of this Academy is out of touch, and llike the Presidential election, voted for a movie that didn't deserve to win.  Well, I am not, and never have been, "sheep", and like the voters will do in the November elections for the House and Senate, the Academy is trying to do now by inviting Jake and Heath to join the Academy and asking Ellen to host next year.  

TOO LATE.

-Adrian

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 05:51:31 pm by adrian.delmar »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 05:28:14 pm »
All that says to me is that the majority of this Academy is out of touch, and llike the Presidential election, voted for a movie that didn't deserve to win.

Good analogy, Adrian. The feeling I had after the Oscar broadcast was eerily like the one I had the day after the last presidential election. It wasn't just the disappointment over the outcome, but the dismay of realizing that my fellow citizens could be so closeminded and stupid.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 05:30:13 pm »
Let's face it, homophobia is the reason Bush got re-elected.  His "manipulation machine" worked overtime appealing to the religious idiots to come out and vote AGAINST gay mariiage by voting FOR them.  This worked, and frightened all the poor "sheep" of middle American right into their web.  Now, most Americans feel, by recent polls, that they made a terrible mistake, and will probably try to correct it on November.

Well, this tactic worked again in Hollywood, but in a slightly different way.  As you we all know, the gay cowboy jokes were rampant.  Critics loved the movie but it slowly became unpopular to support this 'homosexual' film.  So, Lion's Gate pushed their film as the one that supported all minorities, with a moral that 'healed' relations between all peoples, except gays of course, as there were no gay characters represented.  Funny, being that it took place in Los Angeles.  Well their appeal to the older more conservative voters, the silent homophobic members and those on the fence worked like a charm.  We know Crash was the worst of the five nomimated for best picture, yet it took the prize.  All that says to me is that the majority of this Academy is out of touch, and llike the Presidential election, voted for a movie that didn't deserve to win.  Well, I am not, and never have been, "sheep", and like the voters will do in the November elections for the House and Senate, the Academy is trying to do now by inviting Jake and Heath to join the Academy and asking Ellen to host next year.  

TOO LATE.

-Adrian

Amen, Adrian.  And in this same vein, I'd like to post yet another one of the theme songs of my life written by Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day:

Minority

I want to be the minority
I don't need your authority
Down with the Moral Majority
'Cause I want to be the minority

I pledge allegiance to The Underworld
One nation under dog
There of which I stand alone
A face in the crowd
Unsung, against the mold
Without a doubt
Singled out
The only way I know

Down with the Moral Majority

Stepped out of the line
Like a sheep runs from the herd
Marching out of time
To my own beat now
The only way I know

One light, one mind
Flashing in the dark
Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts
"For crying out loud" she screamed unto me
A free for all
F*** 'em all
You are your own sight

Down with the moral majority

8)
No more beans!

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2006, 05:42:50 pm »

WOW ednbarby, that's uncanny.  I've never seen those lyrics, yet that's how I feel.  Thank you for that.

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2006, 05:46:41 pm »
Good analogy, Adrian. The feeling I had after the Oscar broadcast was eerily like the one I had the day after the last presidential election. It wasn't just the disappointment over the outcome, but the dismay of realizing that my fellow citizens could be so closeminded and stupid.

That's funny, I remember what Jake said in the BBM dvd extra's.  He mentioned, while working with the sheep in the movie, how stupid they were.  That all he had to do was raise both his arms, and they all went running.  "Closeminded and stupid" just like them sheep!

adrian

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2006, 07:23:38 pm »
I will probably boycott movies made by Lion's Gate, not so much because I'm mad about last year's Oscars, but because Lion's Gate makes bad movies. (I mean, what do they make -- low-budget horror movies and Crash? I'm not giving up a heck of a lot, and I'm saving the money I would spend on tickets and popcorn.)

And I'm boycotting Paul Haggis because he's a lousy screenwriter.

And I'm boycotting the Academy because they choose what movies they call "best" through politics and bias, rather than by actually watching movies. And because I would rather get advice from people who have good taste in movies. (Or who share my taste in movies, given how much I like really deliberately bad comedies and cheesy sci-fi. Bad comedies can be entertaining; bad trying-to-be-serious dramas are really hard to take.)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2006, 08:32:08 pm »
Bad comedies can be entertaining; bad trying-to-be-serious dramas are really hard to take.

Ain't dat the truth?  That's exactly why I can't watch most of what's on TV these days.  I'm sorry, but I could poop a better story than most of what's on any of the hospital or cop dramas out there.  I have to wonder if any of the people behind these shows have actually ever been in a hospital or precinct or courtroom.  OK, some of them probably have those last two covered, but they must be the ones writing the hospital dramas.  Blech.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 08:47:24 pm »
Speaking of bad, I don't see how anyone could stand to watch that "docudrama" that ABC is airing. It made me jittery just listening to snatches of it from the next room. Even my die-hard Republican husband didn't watch it all! Knowing it's on again tonight is keeping me at my desk so I won't have to even hear it!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 02:56:57 pm »
Speaking of bad, I don't see how anyone could stand to watch that "docudrama" that ABC is airing. It made me jittery just listening to snatches of it from the next room. Even my die-hard Republican husband didn't watch it all! Knowing it's on again tonight is keeping me at my desk so I won't have to even hear it!

I had no intention of watching it, or listening to it, or even allowing it to flitter across my TV screen.  I sent emails to ABC protesting the airing of it.  I'm considering not watching ABC ever again, which really *really* sucks for me, because that means I'll have to wait for Season 3 of "Lost" to come out on DVD (and I had thought waiting until October 4 was bad enough).  Then again, I TiVo "Lost" and fly through all the commercials anyway, so am I really watching it to ABC executives' satisfaction anyway?  Hmmmmmm.  Methinks I've found a loophole...
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2006, 03:00:25 pm »
WOW ednbarby, that's uncanny.  I've never seen those lyrics, yet that's how I feel.  Thank you for that.

You're quite welcome, dear Adrian.  I find pretty much all of their songs uncanny these days, especially everything on their "American Idiot" and "Warning" albums, the latter being where "Minority" was first recorded.

Glad you enjoyed it.  :)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 03:05:41 pm »
I'm considering not watching ABC ever again, which really *really* sucks for me, because that means I'll have to wait for Season 3 of "Lost" to come out on

Now I especially take back everything, Barb. With all these boycotts, you've found a great way to simplify your life!   There's just way too much to do/read/watch/hear/pay attention to these days. :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 03:34:42 pm »
Now I especially take back everything, Barb. With all these boycotts, you've found a great way to simplify your life!   There's just way too much to do/read/watch/hear/pay attention to these days. :D

I hear ya.  I should just take that final step and say, "You know what - I'm just never gonna watch anything on TV again."  Now if I could just find some arbitrary reason to boycott this site, I'd finally have time to get caught up on all my reading.   ;)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2006, 03:54:33 pm »
Now if I could just find some arbitrary reason to boycott this site, I'd finally have time to get caught up on all my reading.   ;)

Good idea, but I think you have it backwards. Find an arbitrary reason to boycott all books, magazines and newspapers, so you can devote all your time to this site!  ;D

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2006, 06:26:49 pm »
Good idea, but I think you have it backwards. Find an arbitrary reason to boycott all books, magazines and newspapers, so you can devote all your time to this site!  ;D

Boycotting other things is how I stay sane.

(I boycott TV because 1) I can't get any broadcast stations, and 2) satellite is awfully expensive for something I'm not really going to watch. I've spent my whole adult life either with no television set or, later, with no TV reception. And it's given me a lot more time to hang out on the computer. ;D )

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2006, 06:33:41 pm »
Find an arbitrary reason to boycott all books, magazines and newspapers....

Well, the fact that they do not go on endlessly about the wonder and awe of Brokeback Mountain and everyone and everything contained therein, could be an arbitrary reason good as any, IMO. ;)

If they add insult to injury through instead including content a la this ABC "docudrama", or films a la Crash or from Lions Gate instead of a steady stream of Heath and Jake films - well there's a bunch of other reasons right there.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 06:35:54 pm by Mikaela »