Author Topic: The Academy trying to prove it's not homophobic?  (Read 14186 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Academy trying to prove it's not homophobic?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 12:09:53 am »
OK, in that case, maybe, just maybe, I'd check out the hosting highlights on youtube after the fact.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Barb, if there were a skeptical smiley icon, I'd be lining them up all across the top of the page to comment on your post that you wouldn't watch even if Jake were hosting naked. But I'm perfectly willing to believe that the ONLY way you would ever watch the Oscars is under those conditions.

;) :laugh:

It's still a milestone that an openly homosexual person has signed up for this prestigious gig.

Which reminds me of something I'd love to post. Lately I've been watching "The View." (Hey, so it's while I'm working out, OK??!) Anyway, Rosie O'Donnel started as a host and, although formerly I was never much of a Rosie fan, I'll have to say that she's been great: funny, charming ... and completely casual about being gay. It is SO refreshing. I don't watch Ellen regularly, but according to the NYT review of Rosie, Ellen never refers to her sexuality. Not that viewers are in the dark about it, obviously. But why be secretive? It feels like Rosie is taking aytime TV up a notch, to where it's not even an issue, let alone a secret.

UPDATE: LOL, Flashframe, the first time I read your post I thought you said you weren't watching the Oscars until the ACTUAL Irving Thalberg, the long-dead 1930s producer, goes to Heath Ledger and ... But then, what's the difference? Both that and your scenario will probably happen at about the same time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 10:41:15 am by latjoreme »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 08:39:03 am »
Not watching the Oscars until the Irving Thalberg goes to Heath Ledger for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar, and the academy delivers a formal apology for discriminating against Brokeback Mountain and gay people in the film industry.

Yep.  Or when pigs fly.  That will seriously be the time I ever watch that show again.

This year and every year here on out, I'll be watching the BAFTAs and the Independent Spirit Awards.  Both of those are done in the spirit in which these things should really be done.  I don't always agree with their choices, but I like their style.  I'm seriously considering writing off the Golden Globes, too.  They used to be irreverent and fun, but now they're getting more like the Oscars all the time.  Stupid presenter speeches, cutting off acceptance speeches, spending too much time doing tributes that no one cares about and not enough time focusing on the performances and movies being honored.  The Emmys are the same damn way.  I'm tired of all of it.  I guess the time was gonna come eventually.  The AMPAS just took them all out for me with a single shot instead of prolonging the agony.
No more beans!

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 03:40:33 pm »
 :-\ well Barb I am inclined to agree with you - I already quit watching the Emmy's since I do not watch network television any more - there just is no point to seeing who won for what show, when I could care less.  Unfortunately, the Oscars were always the one night of the whole year that I would definitely be glued to the tv.  Now it too seems irrelevant, not just because BBM lost for Best Picture when we all know it was the best to come along in many years, decades even, but also because there just isn't anything worth seeing this year so far - maybe the next few months will bring some new films that are Oscar worthy.  Do you think BBM ruined us for other movies for awhile?  I know that personally, I never had a movie touch me like this one did and I have seen hundreds of them.

I did see Superman Returns and it was good and entertaining, but not an Oscar calibre film except maybe special effects or something like that.  Where are the good movies these days?  Ones that make you think and draw your own conclusions, ones that make you smile or laugh at life's absurdities, ones that blow your mind with improbabilities and twists, ones that tear your heart out and leave you wilted and emotional - the kind of movies that I remember and lost myself in for most of my life. Do they exist or has Hollywood settled for the least common denominator and foisted a plethora of Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Rob Schneider, Jack Black and various other 30-somethings on the film-going public who do the same movies over and over again?  I know they can't all be BBM or even on par with it, but give us something that has a hint of intelligence or wit in the writing, enough acting to forget it is a movie, a director who knows how to get actors to make mediocre roles better, and maybe a soupcon of atmosphere or ambiance to tide us over till the next "great" movie comes along.  Too much to ask??

I don't know,  but I think the Oscars need revamping before they ever see the kind of audience that they apparently want.  First the voters will have to become honest and actually see the movies nominated - that alone will go a long way into making the Academy Awards worth my time to watch again.  It's not the fact that BBM lost to Crash, it's that the voting was so skewed by those who never took the time to watch it and therefore were dishonest in their voting, causing an imbalance that was unfair to both films as well as the 3 other nominees.

<-------------off my soapbox now...................... :)
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 03:56:08 pm »
Not watching the Oscars until the Irving Thalberg goes to Heath Ledger for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar, and the academy delivers a formal apology for discriminating against Brokeback Mountain and gay people in the film industry.
There you go - that's what I'd have said, If I'd had the words!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 02:16:22 am »

Don't forget everyone, Ang Lee will be presenting the Best Director's award.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

injest

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 02:45:11 am »
Just FYI here is Ellen's email address for comments...

I sent one telling her we are boycotting the Oscars and I am disappointed to hear she is allowing herself to be used by them...

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/show/dearellen/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 09:10:58 am »
Don't forget everyone, Ang Lee will be presenting the Best Director's award.

Too bad I'll have to miss that.

Funny thing.  I don't feel the least bit torn.  And I swear I still wouldn't even if Heath and Jake were nominated again, which I'm sure they will be sometime in the near future, if not in the same year.  Not watching the Academy Awards ever again was really one of the easiest decisions I've ever made.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 09:13:27 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 01:48:28 pm »

Not watching the Academy Awards ever again was really one of the easiest decisions I've ever made.

Ditto.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 08:09:12 pm »
Ang Lee presenting the best director award?  I hope he says something to the fact that after last years fiaco, BBM and all, the Academy Award doesn't mean as much.  Well I know that's not going to happen. Ironic if he presents the award to Clint Eastwood for his new WWII movie.  I wouldn't reckon Clint even bothered to watch BBM, much less vote for it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 08:37:31 pm »
I wouldn't reckon Clint even bothered to watch BBM, much less vote for it.

Hmm. Hard to tell. I guess I don't know if Clint is homophobic or not (maybe you saw some quote I missed), but you'd think he'd be interested simply because he's a pretty good director himself.