Author Topic: What movies besides Brokeback, have you seen multiple times  (Read 5961 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
What movies besides Brokeback, have you seen multiple times
« on: September 08, 2006, 06:25:08 pm »
This is a "spin off" thread from another thread, which I thought might be interesting......when it was mentioned, about how many other movies made you want to go see them over and over again.....

I have never seen a movie as many times as I have seen Brokeback, but there are a few that either I enjoyed so much, I wanted to see them again, or a few that were so close to my own personal feelings, that I needed to see over again.

Bridges of Madison County....saw that quite a few times and read the book the same amount of times. (personal feelings)

Rocky....didnt watch it when it first came out, cause I thought it was just "a boxing movie", but was so rapt in the love story in it, and "feel good" theme, that I enjoyed watching it several times.

Sound of Music......a classic.

Grease.....another classic, and I loved the music.

Tombstone....one of the best western movies, with great actors, Kurt Russell, and Val Kilmer (outstanding)

The Shawshank Redemption....everyones favourite movie

Unfaithful....Richard Gere, Olivier Martinez, Diane Lane.....hot, sexy, and some personal similarities.

Officer and a Gentleman....Richard Gere, because the way he kisses in this movie, well, lets just say, it was hot.

Ok, now lets hear your favourites......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: What movies besides Brokeback, have you seen multiple times
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 06:29:27 pm »
It's and olde and likel;y now much remembered and it has been many years since I have seen it but "Dove" from about 1974 staring Debora Raffin (most recently played the alcholic aunt on '7th heaven) and Joseph Bottoms.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 06:42:23 pm »
I have a few I have returned to multiple times.

The two really big movies of my early adolescence, the ones over which I obsessed to a degree that only now Brokeback Mountain has superceded, were The Rocky Horror Picture Show and A Clockwork Orange. I still think on these movies often, and have not tired of analyzing and discussing them, but, while I still retain some nostalgic affection for Rocky Horror (while now conceding it is a deeply flawed film), I now find A Clockwork Orange problematic and dubious. I also feel that my former obsessions for these movies were more than a little puerile (I like to think that I have engaged with BBM in a more mature manner ::)!). Barry Lyndon has replaced A Clockwork Orange as my favorite Stanley Kubrick film.

The one preeminent example of this category of a movie that I never tire of watching and rewatching would have to be Vincente Minnelli's 1944 classic Meet Me in St. Louis. I have seen this wonderful film countless times on television, and I treasure my one exposure to it on the big screen as one of my top movie-going experiences. The film is a milestone in the articulation of the theme of nostalgia within the wider American culture, and I think the movie has a lot to say about how and why nostalgia affects us. Succinctly, I see it more as a film about nostalgia rather than a nostalgic film. Furthermore, I consider this my favorite movie musical, though I wouldn't necessarily claim it as the best. The movie is like a little magic box I can open at any time, finding the pleasures within as fresh and life-affirming as the first time I encountered them.

These can serve as the most salient examples for me of movies that I have revisited multiple times.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:57:36 pm by moremojo »

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 06:48:36 pm »
If I'm having a terrible day, or am really bored I'll put in the same cycle of movies.  "The American President", "The Wedding Singer", "50 First Dates" are examples of these.  Just cute movies that I can repeat all of the lines too and that will make me smile.

Then there are the category of movies that are my all time favorites like:  "Brokeback Mountain", "Apollo 13", "Forest Gump" and "Walk the Line" among others.  "The Libertine" has recently joined the list.  These are movies I watch when I really want to enjoy a well acted, superb movie.  They may not make me smile at the end, but I feel as though I've watched quality and that always makes me feel good as well.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 07:06:00 pm »
To Kill a Mockingbird

Shawshank Redemption

The Birdcage

Planes Trains and Automobiles

Your Mine and Ours (the original)

Ruthless People

Gone With The Wind

Miss Congeniality

Murder in the First

Mississippi Burning

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:10:35 pm by JakeTwist »
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 07:32:18 pm »
Too many to mention.  If I enjoy a movie, I usually go see it again.  If I REALLY like a movie, I'll go see it multiple times.  If I ADORE a movie - somebody stop me!!!!!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 09:42:21 pm »
The Wizard of Oz -- every year during my childhood. I recently got the big DVD of it, though, and haven't watched it yet.

Spirited Away -- I've only watched it twice so far, but I think it will be worth repeated viewings in the future.

The Lord of the Rings movies (only the theatrical releases, please)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Spinal Tap

I've seen the original three Star Wars movies several times, because I'm the right age to have seen them when they first came out, and I am a geek. But really, they aren't very good.

And E.T. was the first movie I saw more than once.

Looking at my list... you know, I'm not particularly fond of reality. ;D Brokeback Mountain is really a departure for me, in that sense.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 09:59:13 pm »
These are "in the theatres" counts...

BBM = 44 times

Prarie Home Companion = 4 times

Moulin Rouge! = 19 times

eXistenZ = 5 times  (countless times on DVD)

Lost Highway = 5 times

Contact = 8 times

The Fifth Element = 12 times

and going waaaay back

Less Than Zero = 10 times (estimate)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 10:03:28 pm by sfericsf »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 10:01:21 pm »
Not counting favorite movies that I've re-watched on TV, these are some I saw multiple times in the theater or bought on tape or DVD so I could watch at home:

A Hard Day's Night

Barry Lyndon

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

All 3 Lord of the Rings movies

Master and Commander

Everything Is Illuminated

Brokeback Mountain
Ich bin ein Brokie...

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 10:08:21 pm »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 10:42:12 pm »
It Happened One Night

Casablanca

Holiday (Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn - my husband and I watch it every year on New Year's Eve)

Dr. Strangelove

Kind Hearts and Coronets (Alec Guinness playing something like 16 different roles)

Airplane!

Clueless

Raising Arizona

Fargo

The Princess Bride

Shakespeare in Love

Quiz Show

The Shawshank Redemption

The Player

This is Spinal Tap!

Grosse Pointe Blank

Donnie Darko

No more beans!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 11:05:44 pm »
Well, all right! :D :D :D

I think I remember our agreeing on Barry Lyndon on an earlier thread, too, Scott.  I love that movie because it's just like curling up with a favorite novel and having a good read.  And it's one of the most beautiful films ever--each scene is like a painting.  Love the period music, too.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Katie77

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 11:09:04 pm »
Wow.....I only started this thread this morning, and I have just enjoyed reading thru the posts that have all ready come in.......

Not only, have some movies, that I had forgotten that I had liked so much, have been mentioned.....it is also interesting to see the kind of movies that you all liked enough to see several times.....an obvious reflection on the kind of person you are, or on the other hand, maybe the kind of person you would like to be.....doesn't matter which....the magic of film, can take us anywhere we want to go....

So thank you, all you romantics...sci fi's....adventurers....sentimentalists....music buffs.......so glad you dropped by....

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 08:46:15 am »
I forgot a few.

Blade Runner

Sense and Sensibility

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Brazil

Amelie

Central Station

The Silence of the Lambs

The Limey

Memento
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:48:52 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 12:29:32 pm »
Orlando, a Sally Potter film based on a book by Virginia Woolf about a man who becomes a woman and lives for 400 years without aging.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 05:27:13 am »
Hmmm.... The ones I can think of that I've seen in cinemas multiple times over the years... ie. 3 times or (much) more. If the list was to include video / DVD films it would be much longer and with many more "well-known" movies thrown in, including Sense and Sensibility, the Ice Storm, Donnie Darko, A Knight's Tale to name a very few.

This is really a walk down memory lane!

Disney's Robin Hood  (When I was a small kid. First film I ever saw multiple times in the cinema, to my parents' consternation!)

Excalibur

The Emerald Forest

Merry X-mas Mr. Lawrence

Lady Jane

White Nights

Dances With Wolves

Ladyhawke

Branagh's "Much ado about nothing"

Baz Luhrman's "Romeo+Juliet"

4 Weddings and a Funeral

All 3 Lord of the Rings movies
(Fellowship of the Ring at 14 viewings is the one I've seen the most times in the cinema, but BBM would have surpassed that by a wide margin if it had stayed just half the time that Fellowship did in the cinemas)

and..

of course, Brokeback Mountain. If it was in cinemas now I'd still go see it regularly. There's no other film I've convinced so many others to see - or have invited them along to see. 

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 07:20:33 pm »
Counting DVDs and TV broadcasts, here's my list:

15 times, more or less:
  • Brokeback Mountain
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Sound of Music
  • The Lion King, The Iron Giant, Snow White, Toy Story (though not always with my full attention -- can you tell I have children?)

Three times:
  • The Royal Tennenbaums
  • Memento
  • Napoleon Dynamite
  • Big, Close Encounters, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark (can you tell I'm trying to introduce my kids to movies I used to like?)
  • probably some others that don't come immediately to mind

Counting theater viewings only:

Eight times:
  • Brokeback Mountain
  • probably Gone With the Wind

Twice:
  • Too many to list, but actually not that many -- I rarely am interested enough to see movies twice in the theater, and NEVER three times

Offline Katie77

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 07:44:57 pm »
Yes it certainly is a trip down memory lane.....I've just seen one here that I forgot I have seen many many times.....Back to the Future.......one of the cleverest movies and loved all the fifties tunes in it, and of course the great acting of Michael J Fox......

I have never seen Gone With the Wind....I have heard so much about it, obviously the classic of all classics, but I have never seen it....I must get it out on dvd and watch it......

And, oh yes, it is easy to see who has kids or grandkids.....some movies I would never have watched if not for my grandkids, Toy Story, (my absolute favourite), Lion King, Schrek......the first time I ever sat down and saw snippets of Toy Story, I couldnt believe how far childrens "cartoon" movies had come, since my own boys were toddlers, absolutely amazing and clever...after watching bits and pieces of it, a million times, I finally sat down and watched it alone, and then  I also got my husband to sit with me to watch it.....we love it...