Author Topic: what in the h*** happened to August?  (Read 10507 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
what in the h*** happened to August?
« on: September 09, 2006, 03:27:01 pm »
There was snow above treeline this morning. Today, it looks like another storm's comin in from the Pacific, worse than that one was.

The cottonwoods and the oak brush are starting to turn yellow and orange.

It was cold enough that I needed a sweater yesterday.

And it's dark when I wake up now.

Last time I was paying attention, I swear it was still summer. What happened?

Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
Re: what in the h*** happened to August?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 03:49:18 pm »
I was just thinking of that today. I don't even remember August. It seemed to come and go so fast. Whats really scarey is it's already September ninth! That means at the rate time is flying by it will be Christmas before we relize that too. :o

It seems like I just put the Christmas decorations away! At this rate I might as well just leave them up year round!  :-\
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 03:52:01 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 04:55:07 pm »
Tell you what, I hate it when I have to get up before sunrise. Guess I would never have made a rancher.  ;D

On the other hand, here in the Northeast--Pennsylvania is generally considered part of the Northeast--October is my favorite month. The summer humidity is generally gone, the air is clear and sometimes crisp though the sun can still be warm, the trees turn color, the sky can be the purest blue of any time in the year, and the sunset views from my condo can be spectacular--often just after the sun has dipped below the horizon, the whole sky can seem like a rainbow, from deepest dark blue overhead to deepest red right along the horizon. It's not too hot, it's not too cold, it's often just right.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 08:02:49 pm »
I hear you, Mel. Thank God for Indian summer--a last chance to enjoy summer. It's my favorite season too.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 10:38:57 pm »
Tell you what, I hate it when I have to get up before sunrise. Guess I would never have made a rancher.  ;D

On the other hand, here in the Northeast--Pennsylvania is generally considered part of the Northeast--October is my favorite month. The summer humidity is generally gone, the air is clear and sometimes crisp though the sun can still be warm, the trees turn color, the sky can be the purest blue of any time in the year, and the sunset views from my condo can be spectacular--often just after the sun has dipped below the horizon, the whole sky can seem like a rainbow, from deepest dark blue overhead to deepest red right along the horizon. It's not too hot, it's not too cold, it's often just right.

Sounds good when you say it. :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 10:40:52 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 10:49:19 pm »
Yes, good attitude, Jeff.

I used to love fall. My birthday is in October, so that was once my favorite month. I used to really like 60-something temperatures. I used to actually prefer fall to spring and summer.

Now I get starting getting depressed in late August. It has something to do with school starting, the annual reminder that my kids are getting older. It has something to do with the idea that in fall we are supposed to get all crisp and efficient and busy, after being lazy and relaxed and hedonistic all summer (my preferred mode). It has something to do with the days getting shorter (remember, they're now about the length they were in early April), and I am a SAD sufferer who unwisely lives in the north. It has something to do with my absolutely hating winter.

And at some subconscious level it probably all adds up to fear of death and aging (not necessarily in that order).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 10:53:42 pm »
Well, thanks, friends. That's how I feel about October.

November? Let's not go there. ...  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 11:02:18 pm »
Jeff, what is this "humidity" of which you speak? ;)

Fall used to be my favorite season, too. (Though growing up northeast of the Northeast, "fall" ended sometime before Halloween, and was followed by "stick season," which was grey, dark, and cheerless.) And fall is incredibly beautiful out here, too, with snow up high and blue skies and aspens turning gold.

But it's also beautiful in a sad kind of way, and for some reason, over time, the sadness has seemed to grow compared to the excitement of that crisp feeling in the air. Maybe it's because fall never seems to last long enough any more. (Or maybe it's because my current job gives me all kinds of freedom during the summer, and then when September begins, every moment of my time is spoken for at least once. Which explains the getting-up-before-sunrise thing.)

It also could be that I don't live in a place with humidity any more. I wouldn't be able to stand an East Coast summer these days... I've gotten accustomed to living without sweat. ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 11:51:12 pm »
But it's also beautiful in a sad kind of way, and for some reason, over time, the sadness has seemed to grow compared to the excitement of that crisp feeling in the air.

Exactly.

I wouldn't be able to stand an East Coast summer these days...

What I can't stand is a Northern winter. Seven years in New Orleans reset my internal thermostat. And yet, somehow, I live in the north.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 01:19:01 am »
I'm certainly now fan of winter either.  I like the transitional seasons - spring/fall- because each feels like a relief (a primarily a relief from extremes of being either too cold or too hot).  I love living in a place where we get the full range of the seasons... a long spring, a long fall, etc.  And, I can't imagine living in a place where it doesn't snow in the winter (even though snow can be a pain).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 01:29:43 am »
Well, admittedly, New Orleans was not ideal in that respect (let alone in August!). I like having four seasons, too. But my preference would be for a nice long summer, long springs and falls, and a short mild winter.

I've always thought somewhere midway between north and south would be ideal: Kentucky, West Virginia, Colorado, Maryland, Deleware ... I'm guessing on some of these, because I'm not totally familiar with all of these climates.

The thing is, you wind up establishing ties and roots in places that aren't necessarily the places you'd pick if you were being completely objective. That's how me ended up in Minneapolis (and missing it since my move to Chicago).

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 09:24:02 am »
This is so funny - I said this last week at work not even meaning to quote the movie, then realized what I'd done and had to smile.

Here in South Florida, May through November all sort of blend together.  It's just hot, hotter, and hottest.  Then back to hotter, then hot.  But I swear, that whole month just completely got away from me.  When I look at work I did that's dated in August, it's like that month never really happened - it was all just a dream.  And July?  Forget about it.  That might as well have been in a different century.

Oh my, I feel old.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 10:11:41 am »
Jeff, what is this "humidity" of which you speak? ;)

Fall used to be my favorite season, too. (Though growing up northeast of the Northeast, "fall" ended sometime before Halloween, and was followed by "stick season," which was grey, dark, and cheerless.) And fall is incredibly beautiful out here, too, with snow up high and blue skies and aspens turning gold.

But it's also beautiful in a sad kind of way, and for some reason, over time, the sadness has seemed to grow compared to the excitement of that crisp feeling in the air. Maybe it's because fall never seems to last long enough any more. (Or maybe it's because my current job gives me all kinds of freedom during the summer, and then when September begins, every moment of my time is spoken for at least once. Which explains the getting-up-before-sunrise thing.)

It also could be that I don't live in a place with humidity any more. I wouldn't be able to stand an East Coast summer these days... I've gotten accustomed to living without sweat. ;D

Stick season? Ugh. sounds like November--but here, add rain.  :P

What's northeast of the Northeast? Canadian Maritimes?

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 10:40:44 am »
Stick season? Ugh. sounds like November--but here, add rain.  :P

What's northeast of the Northeast? Canadian Maritimes?

Rural northern Maine. (When I say "the Northeast" to people out here, they think "New York City" or "Boston," and rural northern Maine is an entirely different world from those places. Closer culturally and physically to the Canadian Maritimes than to places that people in the US think of as the "Northeast," actually.)

And, yeah, there was usually plenty of rain in October and November. Snow in December was such a relief -- the water feels drier when it's frozen. Until it melts. But for a kid, being outside long enough for snow to melt usually means doing something really, really fun, like building snow castles or sledding or something, so the wet feels like the price you pay for having fun. November rain is... well, from a New England Puritan kind of perspective, I guess it's like being punished without even getting to sin first.

Snow in Colorado is always really dry. :D And when it melts, it just MELTS, it doesn't do that horrible freeze/thaw thing for months on end. (A long spring is one thing. A long mud season... I don't miss April in Maine, that's for sure. April and November. Such miserable months back East. Pretty nice out here, though.)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 11:29:46 am »
I think the climate of Colorado would be great. One thing I missed about fall in the west, though -- at least in Idaho, the little time I spent there in the fall; and maybe Colorado is the same -- is red leaves. Lots of yellow. But a lack of oaks and maples.

OK, maybe I'm getting too picky now. But you get attached to these things.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 12:41:20 pm »
We have maples!! But they are more like bushes than trees. You have to know where to find them. I'll be glad to show U Katherine!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 01:27:32 pm »
U BET.  ;)

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 01:32:18 pm »
I went to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery for an outdoor screening of "The Apartment" last night (great film btw), expecting great balmy summer evening weather. I was freezing. Where did August go? Sitting there on the cold grass, I was wishing I had Jack to cuddle up with. [sigh]
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 01:35:32 pm »
I'm sorry, Nipith, but I have limited sympathy for climatic complaints from someone who lives in Los Angeles. (The Jack part, though, I can understand.)

;)

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 01:53:22 pm »
I'm sorry, Nipith, but I have limited sympathy for climatic complaints from someone who lives in Los Angeles.

ha ha ha. yes, I know. I wasn't really complaining nor looking for sympathy. I was just commiserating. Even here in LA, the loss of August made me sad and lonely too.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 12:45:46 pm »
Great quote from Calvin & Hobbes posted by a friend of mine on her livejournal:

Calvin: The days are getting colder. Yes. BUGS ARE DYING BY THE TRUCKLOAD! HA HA HA! GOOD RIDDANCE TO 'EM ALL! I like fall.

(There aren't really bugs here, but as a former New Englander, I can appreciate the sentiment.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 11:40:23 pm »
The last blast of summer is here (in the Northern hemisphere, anyway). There will be a cold snap in September, and then, glorious Indian summer! The Farmer's Almanac is predicting a "wet and wild" winter. Are you ready?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 12:16:16 am »
The Farmer's Almanac is predicting a "wet and wild" winter. Are you ready?

No. I hope the FA is as wrong about this winter as they were about the last one.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 08:59:54 am »
The college students are back. They've been moving back into the University of Pennsylvania this week, and I've seen several cute artboys, from the University of the Arts, which is in my neighborhood, ths past week.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 10:44:15 am »
Temps were in the 60s this morning when I got up.....brrrrrrr!

Fall is on the way!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 10:48:20 am »
Fall is on the way!

I suspect an early fall, because of the changeable nature of the weather right now.

I noticed one thing, though. Ordinarily, by this time of year, the oak trees near my office would be dropping acorns like mad, but not this year. Mustn't have been a good year for acorns.  :(

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 10:53:01 am »
No. I hope the FA is as wrong about this winter as they were about the last one.

Hope they're right about the "wet" part; not sure what the FA would define as "wild."

Right now we have our fingers, toes and eyes crossed that Isaac heads up our way with at least a few inches of rain.

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »
Here in Alberta the weather is still warm, in the 20 degrees celsius for the next 15 days at least according to weather forecast. The first snow fall was on August 24 and a very small one that barely lasted an hour. I have never seen snow so late and so sparse in 6 summers in Alberta. Not a white patch in site on Moose Mountain yet.  If J&E had met in 2012, they would not have been cut off a month of... pay

Here is Whatever happened to August on 25 August:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 03:08:15 pm »

I remember standing right there at Lake Kananaskis!!

...The first snow fall was on August 24 and a very small one that barely lasted an hour....

Why, that snow barely stuck an hour!! The time to kick sticks and munch on grass stems is coming later and later every year!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 05:23:44 pm »
Here in Alberta the weather is still warm, in the 20 degrees celsius for the next 15 days at least according to weather forecast. The first snow fall was on August 24 and a very small one that barely lasted an hour. I have never seen snow so late and so sparse in 6 summers in Alberta. Not a white patch in site on Moose Mountain yet.  If J&E had met in 2012, they would not have been cut off a month of... pay

Gorgeous photo!

Thanks mouk!   :-*

I love the report on the Alberta weather, and esp Moose Mountain!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre