Author Topic: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life  (Read 158980 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2007, 07:05:21 pm »
Scrooge mode OFF:

I didn't celebrate Christmas, now I can relax with everyone who didn't enjoy it and pretend I suffered along with all of you!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2007, 06:07:23 pm »
Well, the cold is now in my ears which is driving me crazy.  I hate the plugged ear thing, but I always get it.  This is one of the more rotten colds I've had.

And goody, another big winter storm is on the way here for tomorrow.  Another foot of snow to go with the 30+ inches we got during December.  Argh...
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #192 on: December 31, 2007, 06:15:18 pm »
Sorry you're sick for the holidays, Phillip. Hope you feel better ASAP!!

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2008, 11:19:38 am »

Hope you and John have a wonderful and prosperous New Year.  I hope you and all of your
family as well, have a healthier and more  comfortable year also.

Beautiful mind

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2008, 09:46:49 am »
Happy \new Year Phillip - I hope it brings what you need and want and health for the family - thanks for creating BM!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2008, 07:32:40 pm »
Phillip, thank you for all you give us here.  Happy New Year, Friend! 

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2008, 08:11:17 pm »
Phillip, thank you for all you give us here.  Happy New Year, Friend! 

I send the exact same thoughts back in your direction!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
I've been heartened to see the banner ad from time to time today inviting me to "Ski Banff!"  That immediately brought up some great memories from this past July, and I finally finished uploading and cropping and captioning all of my pics from our great Alberta filming location trip on Walgreens website and have about 400 prints waiting for me to pick up tonight!  I am too much a perfectionist, carefully having to label and crop everything and organize it.  These should have been printed ages ago.

Walgreens allows you to "share" photo albums to let friends have the opportunity to review -and- obtain prints their own (and at 10c each until 1/12 using the coupon code JOY - for in store pickup or by mail).  If anyone wants me to "share" my albums with them, just send me a PM with your account info on Walgreens (the e-mail address you have used to register with them online) and then you'll have access to my uploaded full resolution pictures, which can be printed at any desired size by Walgreens.  I suppose I should probably get some mousepads and other goodies made up, but if you can't wait for me....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 09:58:01 pm by Phillip Dampier »

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #198 on: January 06, 2008, 09:51:55 pm »
I just picked up the photos ... all 440 of them!  I kept Walgreens busy today.  This was my first experience doing online photo developing for in-store pickup, so I learned a few things:

1) All of my pics are in the raw original hi res format.  You will want to manually crop the ones you select - you can move them side by side or up and down (the vertical ones need you to manually center them the way you want from right to left and the horizontal ones need to be moved up or down slightly because of the variations in 4x6 photos vs. their current digital resolution).  Cropping is real easy.  You can zoom in and re-center whatever in the pictures you want to keep.

2) The cropping is not exact.  I cropped mine very tightly and it turned out to be too much on a few where the tips of trees or edges of signs I zoomed in closely on got cut off.  It's not awful by any means, but you should always leave some leeway on the sides because when the pictures print, they will be slightly smaller than the cropped image you work with online.  I selected the entire album to print and then choose the option to review my pictures in the order, which let me crop them one by one.  I learned to save my work every 20 pictures or so, because if Walgreens website has a problem, you lose all of your unsaved cropping work.  You can select as few or as many pics to print as you like.

3) Walgreens only prints on glossy paper for in store pickup - matte finish is also available if you want home shipped delivery.  I chose mine with no borders on the edge.  You may want to use borders if you are used to pictures having them.  Glossy paper looks fine, although it's slightly thinner paper stock than traditional film paper.

4) The images print slightly darker than the on screen version, but only slightly so.

5) I spent oodles of time carefully attaching captions to every picture.  Some photo places print your captions on the back of the photo, which is what I was hoping for here.  No go with Walgreens - argh... lots of time spent working on that, too.

6) The images are organized by date order, and in most cases, are chronological.  They are numbered.  All of these pictures were posted in the Alberta Pilgrimage mini-forum, so if you want to use another processor to print copies, you can download each picture from there in a high resolution format.

7) The estimates Walgreens provides for completion of your order was very conservative.  I wasn't anticipating having all of my orders finished before Tuesday, but they were all done early this afternoon, within 12 hours of placing the order.

8) Don't forget to use the coupon code JOY in the box towards the bottom of the online order form and then hit the box to retotal your order.  You should receive the discount immediately for all orders of 30 prints or more.  The coupon is good for up to five uses per account and expires 1/12/08.  It's one of the lowest prices (10c per 4x6) of the year for Walgreens and a lot of people are taking advantage of it.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2008, 08:32:18 am »

3) Walgreens only prints on glossy paper for in store pickup - matte finish is also available if you want home shipped delivery.  I chose mine with no borders on the edge.  You may want to use borders if you are used to pictures having them.  Glossy paper looks fine, although it's slightly thinner paper stock than traditional film paper.

And don't forget, if you want to put pics in frames, it's usually best to choose to have borders, and trim them if necessary, so that the frame does not cover part of the pic. :)

Rob