Author Topic: 9/11 The Anniversary.. What Did You Do Today?  (Read 7685 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
9/11 The Anniversary.. What Did You Do Today?
« on: September 11, 2006, 05:49:30 am »

I sincerely hope nobody finds a topic like this offensive.  I'm just curious how those on this board spent this 5 year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Are there memorial services in the States today?

I was at school with my kids and spoke to them about the anniversary.  Most of them were less than 2 years old when it happened and didn't really know a lot about it.  I insisted on quiet time after they came back in after lunch out of respect for what happened. Actually I didn't really have to insist, most of them fell quiet all by themselves.   :-\

Others?
Chut up!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: 9/11 The Anniversary.. What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 10:40:04 am »
I very much remember what was happening to me on 9/11.  I was at Strong Memorial Hospital with my mom for a follow-up appointment after her liver transplant in 2001.  We were in the waiting room and saw early coverage of the event in NYC but the assumption at that point was that it was a commuter plane so we did not think much about it.  When we did go upstairs to the doctor's office, I started fiddling with the television to get it off the silly radio station it was playing and managed to get our local ABC station.  People in the office, as well as doctors and staff, started sticking their heads into the waiting room and watching the coverage.  We were all stunned when Peter Jennings asked "the whole building collapsed?"  The reaction of many of the people in the waiting room seemed more numb than anything.  One woman kept right on knitting, which I thought was surreal at the time.

After the first tower collapsed, most people started getting on the hospital phones and that led to an announcement on the PA system telling people to get off the phones because nobody could make or receive calls.  On the way out of the hospital, most people had televisions, radios, or cell phones trying to figure out what was happening.  We heard Dan Rather on the radio tell us in a resigned tone the second tower had collapsed while we in the parking garage on the way out.

Most of the rest of the day was spent watching television.  Most cable networks signed off and started relaying their parent company's network broadcasts.  The shopping channels shut down.  For the remainder of the week, most networks seemed to be staying with the story 24/7.

I remember later that day when I was out on my daily walk that everything had effectively changed that day.  It would be, in a sense, the first war I would be living through (I was too young to really comprehend Vietnam).

Of course, the thing that would later upset me is the unity we had in the country squandered by an administration that would seek to use the event for political purposes, and that a neocon thought experiment would get us into a quagmire in Iraq, a country that had nothing to do with 9/11 and a limited, at best, involvement in the greater war on terror.

Today will be a largely normal day for most Americans.  Although events are taking place around the country, I think most Americans will be dwelling on 9/11 primarily through the saturation media coverage, documentaries and dramas that the television networks are dropping on us.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 10:42:34 am by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:35:03 pm »
Of course, the thing that would later upset me is the unity we had in the country squandered by an administration that would seek to use the event for political purposes, and that a neocon thought experiment would get us into a quagmire in Iraq, a country that had nothing to do with 9/11 and a limited, at best, involvement in the greater war on terror.

I am feeling embittered by this today when I should be feeling nothing but sadness (and perhaps resolve).  We should feel united today of all days, but instead we're more divided than we've been since Vietnam (maybe moreso) and the Civil War before that.  And I blame the Bush Administration for that.  There is no one else to blame.  They did it singlehandedly by, as Phillip said, using the event to further their own war-mongering, oil-hungry agenda.

I really believe that Al Gore, if he had used it for anything, would have used it to rally the American people around the notion of becoming much less dependent on foreign oil, and therefore less intricately involved in the affairs in the Middle East - the affairs of a region that wants no part of us except our money.

I do feel sad for the families and loved ones of the victims, and they are on my mind today.  They must mourn innocent victims of religious extremism and bad policy, just as the families and loved ones of the fallen in Iraq (on both sides) must mourn them.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 12:37:13 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:40:11 pm »
Our governor ordered flags to be flown at half-mast today, in remembrance. But then he spoiled the gesture by expanding it from a remembrance of those who died on 9/11/01 to a statement of support for the war in Iraq.

It's hard to mourn honestly, at this point, because for the past five years, the tragedy has been used over and over as a political tool. "If you aren't with us, you are against us." At this point, the politics really seems disrespectful to the memory of the people who died.

One thing that's cool -- my local public radio station's fall fund drive is going on, and today businesses are matching all donations to the station with their own donations to local volunteer emergency services -- one rural ambulance service and another rural fire and rescue service -- in memory of all the emergency service workers who died.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 02:54:06 pm »
Yesterday I waded through the many articles in the Sunday papers about 9-11. The only one that really captured my attention was the follow-up article about 6 children who were born on 9-11-01. That article really got it: the way to stamp out terrorism and extremism is to start at birth. The article really could have been improved if some middle eastern, European, Asian, and African children could have been included.

The way that I personally have responded to the tragedy of 9-11 is by supporting an organization that builds schools for girls in the Himalayan countries. The more girls in these cultures that can be educated, the fewer unwanted children will be born, and those children who are born will be wanted, loved, and nurtured. That's the only real way to wage war on terrorism, IMHO.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 03:45:46 pm »
It was about 3 in the afternoon when we heard about 9/11 here in the UK. I remember a bloke called Dave from one of the adjoining offices (we had no internet access on our PCs) racing in with his eyes out on stalks clutching a page he'd printed from the NBC website showing the towers ablaze. At the time I was working for an organization attempting to get compensation for victims of the Holocaust and their families who had lost property and all other assets during the occupation. I'd spent all day reading terrible stories of families being torn apart, and I remember being oversome with sadness and bursting into tears at the thought of the children of the people killed in the towers, having read first-hand accounts by the children of the Holocaust victims of what it had meant to them to lose sometimes entire families under such circumstances.

All the terristrial channels in the UK are running 9/11 documentaries tonight and I'm crying all over again... :'(
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 05:05:46 pm »

It was very late at night on the 11th that we here in Australia heard about it, around 11pm, from memory.  I was just walking past my parents bedroom when the show that was on television stopped and a "Special News Bulletin" cut in. It reported that a passenger aircraft had struck the North Tower of the World Trade Centre in New York. I remember feeling hollow - but not comprehending at that point that this was an act of terrorism. I went to bed, shocked and saddened by this terrible "accident". As I awoke the next morning, something felt very wrong. I remember the plane "accident" and then it dawned on me, quite horribly, that New York is restricted airspace and an "accident" couldn't happen because planes don't fly over there.  I leapt out of bed and oh my god, it was everywhere.  Some 6 or so minutes after I'd gone to bed that previous night, the other tower had been hit. By that time, they'd both collapsed, the Pentagon had been hit and United 93 had gone down in Pennsylvania.

I cannot describe the fear I felt looking at the television screen. There was a surreal automaticity with which the items were being chronicled. I remember thinking to myself "This world is never going to be the same after this". I was morbidly transfixed to those images of the planes hitting the buildings, as though just one more viewing would make it sink-in; make it real to me. But here we are, five years later and I still can't quite grasp it.

America will never forget. But trust me, neither will the rest of the world.   :'(
Chut up!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 05:28:12 pm »
mwah, Sheyne! That's what boggles my mind: the U.S. had the cooperation and well wishes of the entire world, and we squandered it!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 05:30:30 pm »
The way that I personally have responded to the tragedy of 9-11 is by supporting an organization that builds schools for girls in the Himalayan countries. The more girls in these cultures that can be educated, the fewer unwanted children will be born, and those children who are born will be wanted, loved, and nurtured. That's the only real way to wage war on terrorism, IMHO.
I like your way of thinking, Lee. The battle to heal and eradicate hatred always begins and ends within our own hearts.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 06:10:12 pm »
There were observances all over the country, Sheyne.  Different areas had moments of silence, memorials, etc.  My company, of course, did nothing in remembrance, not even a memo.  Personally. I wore all black today in memorial.  I've been doing this every year since 9/11 on this day.

On 9/11, I was in the same office, but we had a much more laid-back atmosphere back then and a woman kept a TV under her desk to watch her soaps.  I saw the net story online, but couldn't log onto it because it was getting so many hits.  Then word spread around the floor that this woman had it up on her TV.  We didn't know it was a large plane until the 2nd one hit.  We were all standing around this woman's cubical in shock.  We wandered back to our desks, then word came back round about the rumors of the plane that hit the Pentagon.  First they weren't sure it hit, then they said it was just a bomb going off in the parking lot, then it came back again and then again that it was another plane hitting the Pentagon.  We continued to work, but oh, you wondered at what might come at you out of the clear blue sky.

The TV was on all day, and we wandered over whenever we had the chance or listened to our radios to keep abreast of any more attacks.

When I left work that day, I drove numbly over to DFW airport, realizing never in my lifetime have I *not* seen or heard an airplane in the sky.  There was a silence I'd never heard before.  The skies were clear.  Totally.

I do know I started every time I heard a siren after that for weeks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 07:30:48 pm by delalluvia »

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 07:37:14 pm »
Firstly, I offer the the appropriate respect and solemnity for the event itself.  And secondly I will offer the thought that at this point it seems almost self-indulgent to consider the anniversary of this tragedy a somehow greater cause for sorrow than the very real tragedies everywhere on this precious planet.

I'm sure I've said something similar somewhere at BetterMost before: the suffering and pain of this event is the suffering of famine in the Sudan, war in Iraq, genocide in Rwanda, earthquakes in Pakistan, bombs in India, poverty in North Korea, suicide in France, child abuse in Russia, political corruption in Brazil, economic devestation in Congo, pollution in the Arctic...

That we are united in our sorrow and grief and tragedy is at least to be united.  There is no story more important - no sorrow worse than your own.  For me the anniversary is a reminder of what Golda Meier said: "There will be no peace in the Middle East until the Arabs love their children more than they hate the Jews."

Tragedy can only end when love is more powerful than hate ~ in our own hearts, minds, words, actions, relationships, philosophies, politics, and policies.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 07:43:36 pm by YaadPyar »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 09:25:39 pm »
I dont think anyone will forget the first sight of the Towers after the first plane went into it....Yes it was late at night, here in Aussie, I was in bed...my hubby was surfing the channels before he too was coming to bed, and he happened on the news bulletin, and came in and woke me up, and then we saw the second plane hit......we sat there dumbfounded....and then sat there all night, watching proceedings.....

The other night, my hubby and  I watched a documentary on 9/11...actually it was about the man they photographed, jumping out of the building.....we saw so many pictures that we had never seen before.....

When it was over, my hubby said, "When we all get a bit complacent about those bastards, we should be forced to watch something like that, so we dont forget, and we dont stop trying to get rid of them".....

I guess thats what we all should be feeling today, five years later.....we MUST NOT forget, and we must destroy terrorism.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 10:46:00 pm »
Firstly, I offer the the appropriate respect and solemnity for the event itself.  And secondly I will offer the thought that at this point it seems almost self-indulgent to consider the anniversary of this tragedy a somehow greater cause for sorrow than the very real tragedies everywhere on this precious planet.

I'm sure I've said something similar somewhere at BetterMost before: the suffering and pain of this event is the suffering of famine in the Sudan, war in Iraq, genocide in Rwanda, earthquakes in Pakistan, bombs in India, poverty in North Korea, suicide in France, child abuse in Russia, political corruption in Brazil, economic devestation in Congo, pollution in the Arctic...

That we are united in our sorrow and grief and tragedy is at least to be united.  There is no story more important - no sorrow worse than your own.  For me the anniversary is a reminder of what Golda Meier said: "There will be no peace in the Middle East until the Arabs love their children more than they hate the Jews."

Tragedy can only end when love is more powerful than hate ~ in our own hearts, minds, words, actions, relationships, philosophies, politics, and policies.

Thanks, Celeste, that's what I've been feeling all day and not realizing it.  I stayed away from the TV because I couldn't watch those poor families dragged once again through those long memorial services downtown, reciting all the names of the victims, reliving the grief, reopening the wounds.  I didn't want to see the politicians looking solemn and making patriotic speeches--tomorrow is a primary election, and they were all out making themselves very visible.  I hate the pageant that this has become.   No one is about to forget what happened.  Pounding it into the ground only feeds the hate.  Let be, let be. 
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 02:46:36 am »
I too avoided any documentary/news programs regarding 9/11.  I just couldn't handle it - it both makes me sad and just angers me.  Especially knowing like meryl posted above, that it's an election year and the politicians were going to be out in full force.

Instead I spent a few quiet moments thinking about the day, how things have changed for the nation since the day and how I have changed since that day.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 06:05:45 pm »
so, what were people doing that day?

Me, I was doing a weeks unpaid work experience in a small advertising & animation agency in Irvine. I was due to go back to do my final year at uni the next week.

Only 2 guys and me in the office

Someone along the corridor in this business centre told us the news that a plane had hit the trade centre. I didn't realise how much of a big deal it was until later - probably not till I saw the tv footage. This was just after 2pm so not long after the first plane hit. We put the radio on and listened, tried to get online to see what was happening, but couldn't. Everything was down.

When I got home, well to my sisters, we just sat and watched the news all night.

There was nothing in the newspapers I saw today re: Sep 11. maybe there will be tomorrow.

(Most were focussing on Maddie McCann and also about a huge murder case in Scotland which got thrown out due to lack of evidence when its clear the guy is as guilty as hell, (he is already in prison for natural life for other murders, etc etc) but given the murders of the 2 teenagers took place in the 70's the DNA evidence is not enough.  >:()

I was out tonight so didn't see the news to see if there was anything.

I did think about it when I was in my trainnig session today and realised the time.

RIP.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

moremojo

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 06:23:28 pm »
I had called in sick that day--I don't think I really was sick, just taking a "mental health" day to relax at home and get a little tidying up done. I slept late, and after rising, spent about an hour or so doing some cleaning in the bathroom. When I turned on the TV, I think it was early afternoon, and I was puzzled by the coverage on some event at the World Trade Center that was dominating almost every channel. At first I thought I might be watching some kind of commemorative footage of the bombing that took place there in 1993, I believe, but very soon I realized that this was a new event, and of a very major scale. It took me a while to get my bearings and understand what exactly had happened--I wondered if we were now at war, and if so, with whom?

Later that afternoon, my sister returned home from work, and I asked her what conditions were like on the streets. She said life was going on pretty much as normal, though everyone knew of the attack and was at least somewhat skiddish as a result.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 06:43:25 pm »
Today when I said Morning Prayer, I added a prayer commending to God all those who died on that terrible day--and all their friends, families, and loved ones left behind to mourn.

:'(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 01:05:28 pm »
a bump.. I was reading some of the survivor stories today - harrowing.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 09:47:41 pm »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 05:08:33 am »
I can't believe its 8 years.. there was few documentaries on at the start of the week, and I watched the ones I could (I have some sort of morbid fascination with it.  :-\

Its still as heartbreaking.. the thing that gets me is hearing all the recordings of people in there on the phone to loved ones or to the emergency servies, and especially the police and firemen, running up those stairs, giveing their crewmates updates and just wanting to will them to stop going up, to stop running to their deaths & to stop being brave and just get out.

There is one that always gets me which is a fireman called Orio Palmer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orio_Palmer

This guy was so fit he reached the 78th floor of the south tower (the actual impact zone) with all his gear on and found a stairway that had not been totally breached and if only he had time he would have probably saved lots of lives of the people above the impact zone.

Most fireman within the time should probably only have reached about the 40th floor but he was up there in the thick of it and gave orders to crewmates to get up there only seconds before the building collapsed.  :-\ :'(