Author Topic: Jack's adolescence is a blank page...  (Read 14257 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Jack's adolescence is a blank page...
« on: September 12, 2006, 09:01:39 am »
From the film, we know Ennis dropped out of high school and spent the rest of his adolescence being a ranchhand/cowboy depending on your perspective with his brother.

However, Jack who is the talker, never says anything except we get the impression that he and his dad weren't close while he was growing up. Do you think he says nothing of his adolescence (did he finish h.s., we know Ennis didn't) because it was uneventful and dull or because it was emotionally painful? Or maybe it wasn't in Jack's nature to talk about the past. Being a dreamer, he always had his eyes on the future.  Hence the writers avoided Jack discussing his time before Ennis.  But I wanta know. :)    He was isolated, given where he lived and no doubt the region was very sparsely populated. Did he hang out with other adolescence males discussing how the wanta get their own spread when they come of age...?  I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. 

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jack's adolescence is a blank page...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 10:04:46 am »
Well, we can infer some things from his parents' ranch and his bedroom: that his early years were lonely and isolated and bleak, that he dreamed of being a cowboy (the little statue) and that he probably spent time looking out the window and planning how he would escape. His dad was a good rodeoer, and though he never taught Jack a thing, Jack somehow managed to learn it anyway -- he learned to rebel against authority and figure out a way to improve his situation. We are mostly left to imagine how he came to terms with his sexuality, but his ability to reject his dad's authority probably helped him feel more about comfortable breaking society's "rules." From a completely pragmatic perspective, I'd say the fact that we don't hear much more than that about Jack's adolescence means it wouldn't add to our understanding of his character or the story, so I'm assuming it was fairly uneventful.

Hearing about Ennis' earlier years -- parents' death, unfinished high school, losing the ranch, $24 in a coffee can, siblings getting married and leaving him behind -- does add to our understanding of his character. He's used to being abandoned, he's used to being poor, he's used to accepting whatever life hands him without complaining or hoping for improvement. His teen years were probably even harder than Jack's, which sets up the economic inequality that follows them all the way through the movie.

On the other hand, we don't hear much about Ennis' relationship with his father at first, beyond a couple of offhand, positive comments. This sets us up for shock when the Earl story comes along. We are forced to figure out for ourselves how Ennis felt about his father despite Earl, as well as to imagine what it must have been like on a day-to-day basis, being a gay kid with that kind of dad. But it's not surprising that, growing up with a dad scary enough to be capable of torture/murder, Ennis is less willing to rebel against authority.

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 10:10:43 am »
In Annie's original story, Jack, like Ennis, is a high school dropout. Early on in the text, we read the description "both high-school dropouts" (or something very close, I don't have the story in front of me at the moment). In the same section, both boys are described as having come from similar backgrounds, though in different corners of the state (Ennis hailed from Sage, Jack from Lightning Flat), and with the significant difference of Ennis having been orphaned while Jack's parents still live.

In the film, Jack seems to come from a slightly (but just barely) more affluent background than Ennis. He has a vehicle, for example (or access to one), while Ennis must hitch a ride to Signal. He is more worldly than Ennis, which I attribute to his having had exposure to the rodeo circuit, but seems to have roughly the same educational level--I think the implication here is that Jack, like Ennis, did not finish high school.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:28:09 am »
I've been figuring Jack got "initiated" in the summer of '62. I doubt he was up there on Brokeback by himself, even if Joe Aguirre did blame him when the lightning killed those 42 sheep. Too dangerous--to the herder and the sheep--to have one man up there by himself. (If he falls off his horse and breaks his leg, he could die before anyone finds him, and coyotes would get the sheep.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 12:39:36 pm »
I've been figuring Jack got "initiated" in the summer of '62.

I've always figured that, too.

Quote from: moremojo
In the film, Jack seems to come from a slightly (but just barely) more affluent background than Ennis.

And Jack's parents still own their ranch, whereas Ennis's parents had two mortgages on theirs already when they died. Jack's parents' ranch isn't very prosperous, but Jack's parents still own their own property, even in the 80's, and that makes a difference.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 01:14:41 pm »
I aways felt that Jack's childhood was very lonely, no brother or sisters, no other kid would come all the way to LF to play, especially with  lots of chores to do.

In the short story Anne implies that they are both virgins. However if Jack was not I felt he had only been with women,Ennis still his first so to speak. I realize that I may be alone in that camp.

I also think Jack was alone on brokeback 1962.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 01:18:16 pm »
I have thought that Jack must have had some experence before, and in the movie how he was sizing up Ennis at the first meeting it is almost as if he is thinking: "This summers guy". No mention is made of anyone else up there with him, but it make sense someone would have been.

Also in the story, Ennis recalls Jack telling him about a time when he was four or so, when his father pissed all over him and beat him. This and Ennis's observation that the road to the house was the only road he would have known growning up are about all I see of his childhood.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

moremojo

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 01:53:45 pm »
Also in the story, Ennis recalls Jack telling him about a time when he was four or so, when his father pissed all over him and beat him. This and Ennis's observation that the road to the house was the only road he would have known growning up are about all I see of his childhood.
Yes, these are some of the meager details the story affords us of Jack's childhood--the anecdote about the abuse is also pertinent in that, through Ennis's reminiscence of it, we learn that Jack was circumcised, unlike his father.

The film, through its necessary reliance on a real physical environment and accoutrements to depict the story, gives more fodder for inference of what colored his childhood world (e.g., the little wooden riding figure, Jack's boyhood shoes, etc.) and how.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 02:09:54 pm »
These same thoughts went through my mind and I ended up writing about it.

If you're interested, please see my LiveJournal entries at
http://coffeecat33.livejournal.com/2006/08/12/

I am still trying to figure out how to organize on LJ, but that is the link to the first page on Young Jack. let me know what you think. - Coffeecat33 (Leslie)
Young Jack

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 02:13:39 pm »
The circumcision bit Proulx included, I think that played into an on going debate about the practice. I was circumcised at birth and while I would not want it for a son of mine, it has never really been an issue for me. But Jack, like many others, read a lot into it. In Jack's case he gets the sense he is less of a man than his father, with no way to ever get it right. It is one way she picks up on a topic that is timely to invite our feelings, prejudices, etc. into the mix.  
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."