Author Topic: Teen Movie Breakout Thread  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Teen Movie Breakout Thread
« on: April 03, 2006, 03:31:53 pm »
I decided to break this out of the thread about IMDb having the movie because it's a fun topic:

Can't Hardly Wait is playing on HBO again....  Nobody has puppy dog eyes like Ethan Embry did in that film.  The rest of it was the usual teen silliness.

Another one I haven't seen! I have HBO though so will look for it.

Some of my favorites: Ferris Bueller, Sixteen Candles, Adventures in Babysitting, -- I even liked American Pie! LOL

Heh... the John Hughes era was my generation, having graduated in 1985.  Of course, my high school experience was absolutely nothing like any teen movie.

Of course these movies all poke at the same feelings of missed opportunities that BBM did for me, so it soaks you in angst while enjoying the film.  Can't Hardly Wait has one female character that resembles me personality-wise - Embry's best friend.  She was probably the only well-developed character in the whole film anyway.

Most amusing line for me: "You're a stripper.  An angel stripper." -- Embry, to an uncredited Jenna Elfman, playing an exotic dancer(!)
Weirdest Moment: Realizing that you grew up hating metal/hard rock music and hearing Guns n' Roses "Paradise City" for the first time and realizing you like it.
Wrongest Moments: References to Barry Manilow (and two songs from him in the soundtrack!) and Scooby-Doo by supposed teenagers.  The 20-something writers are outing themselves.

The movie that has the closest tone to my Sarcastro-like sense of humor (which I don't show too often on here because I am Lewis Black-like cynical and that would not be positive  ;)) has to be Heathers.

Most amusing line for me: Just about EVERY line in the film.
Weirdest Moment: Realizing several characters in this movie also showed up in the equally entertaining Beetlejuice.
Wrongest Moment: Christian Slater - my first exposure.  The Jack Nicholson impression wore out within 30 seconds.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 03:34:30 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
Re: Teen Movie Breakout Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:35:48 pm »
Heathers was extremely funny, especially the funeral for the two football players!
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 03:40:28 pm »
Well, showing everyone my age, my favorite teen flicks have two things in common - they came from the 80s and contained James Spader in all of his blond, snotty, sneering 80s glory! 

Once I heard the immortal Spaderism - "The girl was, is, and will always be NADA!"  in Pretty in Pink I was hooked!  lol 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 03:46:26 pm »
I am sort of an 80s teen movie phreak too (odd, since I was a teen in the late sixties/early seventies, must have been doing a re-living my youth sort of thing). I liked the movies that movie a little beyond teen--St. Elmo's Fire, comes to mind, and also Madonna's first movie (with Aidan Quinn and ....) blanking on the name, help me out here, people!

Aidan Quinn was also in another movie I remember watching several times...he had a motorcycle, came from the wrong side of the tracks, there was a scene with a swimming pool? Also having sex in the rich girl's parents' bedroom? Anyone...?

Splash probably fits in here (LOVE that movie) and of course, Dirty Dancing.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 03:48:31 pm »
Phillip, I like Heathers and Can't Hardly Wait too!

(Sorry to be off topic already, but I LOVE Lewis Black! My dad and his friends had a theatre company in college, and Lewis Black was one of them. My mom met him too. Whenever my dad sees him on TV he's like "yep, that's Lou.")

OK, back to teen movies...

I love Dirty Dancing Leslie (is that really considered a teen movie?), and I think the only thing I've seen Aiden Quinn in is Benny and Joon (with Johnny Depp, mmm).

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 03:49:10 pm »
I beleive you're thinking of "Desperately Seeking Susan" Leslie?

With the 2 mega hits "Crazy for You" and "Into the Groove".
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 03:49:21 pm »
Heathers was extremely funny, especially the funeral for the two football players!

Thank you, I'm so glad you love Heathers!!!  I posted John Twist as saying "I love my dead gay son!" on the "Lines you'll never hear in BBM" thread, but I feared I was the only person who saw it or knew what it was from!!!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »
LOVE teen movies!
Sixteen Candles
Breakfast Club
13 Going On 30
Weird Science
Pretty in Pink
Say Anything
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 03:53:44 pm »
I beleive you're thinking of "Desperately Seeking Susan" Leslie?

With the 2 mega hits "Crazy for You" and "Into the Groove".

Yes, that's it. Thanks Paul!

And I just looked up the other one, "Reckless" (1984) with Aidan Quinn and Darryl Hannah--who was in Splash! I'm playing my own 6 degrees game here, all by myself.  :)

And, to show you how pathetic my guilty pleasure of teen movies is: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Love it! I actually own it!! LOL (I will admit, it was only $4.99 at Best Buy, how could I resist?)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 03:56:34 pm by lnicoll »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 03:54:09 pm »
Aidan Quinn was also in another movie I remember watching several times...he had a motorcycle, came from the wrong side of the tracks, there was a scene with a swimming pool? Also having sex in the rich girl's parents' bedroom? Anyone...?

Reckless, with Daryl Hannah.  It was his first film - I was obsessed with it.  He danced with her to Romeo Void's Never Say Never at the school dance and caused a ruckus!!  lol  I LOVED THAT FLICK!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 03:56:01 pm by amy7769 »