Author Topic: Teen Movie Breakout Thread  (Read 7802 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Teen Movie Breakout Thread
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 03:55:21 pm »
I'm so glad someone on here loves James Spader as much as I do! That man rocks my world!

my all time favorite 80s movie insult? "You are a neo maxi zoom dweebie..."  Anyone know what it's from?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 03:59:24 pm »
my all time favorite 80s movie insult? "You are a neo maxi zoom dweebie..."  Anyone know what it's from?

That would be The Breakfast Club.  I went through a thankfully brief Judd Nelson stage as well, but the nostrils got the better of me ... and then Spader came along.  Actually Spader had already arrived, somehow i discovered Tuff Turf around the same time!  LMAO!  i wonder if they have that flick on DVD.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 04:01:02 pm »
but the nostrils got the better of me

LOL

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 04:06:03 pm »
Anyone know whatever happened to Molly Ringwald? She was so pretty in Sixteen Candles but seemed to evaporate when her teen movies days ended.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 04:09:55 pm »
Speaking of Reckless, I just found this on IMDb

"As an angst-ridden teen in the 80's and a fan of alternate music, "Reckless" with Darryl Hannah and Adian Quinn had everything that films like Foot Loose and Top Gun were missing - a true kick a** soundtrack featuring great 80's tunes from artists like Kim Wilde, INXS, and the excellent Romeo Void (read: NO theme song from Kenny Loggins!). The film wasn't going to win any Oscars but it wasn't meant to! Reckless is a great little flick about the guy from the wrong side of the tracks going after, and getting (maybe!) the girl. In 2005, Reckless is a perfect 80's time-capsule! Sad that the studio had such little faith in the film at the time that they never even released a soundtrack CD. And to date, it's never been released on DVD! Both Hannah and Quinn are still viable stars today (see: Kill Bill and Empire Falls), and this is a nostalgic snap shot of both stars in earlier days. A note to the studio execs out there (and those fantastic folks at Rhino!) - the 80's are back and HOT so give us this DVD, will ya?"
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 04:54:22 pm »
The frightening thing is they DON'T have Reckless on DVD, but, after I checked Amazon, they DO have both Tuff Turf (early Spader) and the even MORE obscure Judd Nelson debut film - Making the Grade, on DVD, a film which I ALSO saw back in the day - plot described as thus:  Lazy preppie Palmer Woodrow hires street-smart Eddie Keaton to go to school for him while he lives it up in Europe.  Think of it as The Talented Mr. Ripley meets Porkys.   Very scary.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Empire Records, with spoilers
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 11:46:39 pm »
Thanks for video-on-demand on the premium channels, I have continued my journey through Teen Movies I Have Missed, which now includes Empire Records.

This forgotten movie from 1995 was hardly a commercial success.  It evidently came towards the end of the angst-ridden Seattle grunge scene, yet before the retro-revival 1980s teen movie style highlighted by Can't Hardly Wait which came a few years later.  Both have Ethan Embry in them (although not under the 'Embry' stage name he would develop by the time 'Wait' came out) but that's where the commonality ends.  BTW, Embry is barely recognizable in the film thanks to his freaky hair.  The eyes always give him away though.

In fact, I spent a good part of the movie trying to stop feeling distracted by Rory Cochrane's appearance in Empire, recognizing him from something else, but not being able to put my finger on it.  Then it finally hit - he's on CSI: Miami.  Cochrane appears to land jobs based on his ability to brood, which he does a lot in both instances.  Anthony LaPaglia from Without A Trace (but with far more hair here) was also a major distraction for me.

I came away from Empire Records with a boatload of mixed feelings.  More character stereotypes, without not enough time to give any particular character much depth in development.  In fact, this movie could have lost at least two characters with no loss whatsoever to the story.  It could have also lost about half the songs, but what would that have done to the soundtrack sales?

That an independent record store could serve as a halfway house for wayward teen souls, with the father figure LaPaglia is a nice thought, but that is a concept that lives exclusively in the movies.  I wasn't buying it, nor was I his surprising tolerance of the theft of a day's proceeds to be gambled away by Cochrane at the opening of the film.

I wasn't sure I could connect with any of the characters.  Unlike some of the better teen movies, nobody in this thing was really developed sufficiently to the point where you could see something of yourself in any of them.  I'm also not sure what the ultimate message is here - let's join forces to buy the record store so it doesn't become the equivalent of a mall CD chain store so that we can keep our crappy low paying job but still be part of the "family."  Ugh...  Or how about "don't sleep with the Fabio-looking pop star who is shallow and sleazy."  Gee, you think? 

It didn't really matter because the movie fell into an endless array of movie cliches by the end.  Impromptu fundraiser asking for cash so that someone else can buy a record store (hardly the Red Cross) was bad enough, but the idea that a disaffected shoplifter who would return to the store with a gun to seek revenge, but ultimately get talked down by LaPaglia and, wait for it, HIRED (presumably after his jail time) to work there made me fall out of my chair. 

WHAT IS THIS MOVIE???

I wonder if you could do the same thing for your local grocery store filled with disaffected teen employees.  Brad from the produce department is sleeping with Liv at the customer service desk and they blast tunes late night during restock to fill the soundtrack... and Noah OD's in the pharmacy section and they all have to rescue him.  And the Night Manager just rolls his eyes at the crazy antics of those nutty teens.  Argh...

Stick to Clerks.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 07:06:16 am »
Come now Amy.  Footloose did have a kickass soundtrack, it was just a kickass pop soundtrack.

Tangent topic, speaking of Footloose:  1984 was the only year in which all of the Best Song nominees were #1 hits;  Footloose, Let's Here It For the Boy, Ghostbusters, Against All Odds (my favorite), and I Just Called To Say I Love You (which won).

The Breakfast Club - the only movie I've seen more times in a theatre than BBM.

Loved Heathers

As far as teen movies long after my teens, Clueless was great.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 07:35:39 am »

Tangent topic, speaking of Footloose:  1984 was the only year in which all of the Best Song nominees were #1 hits;  Footloose, Let's Here It For the Boy, Ghostbusters, Against All Odds (my favorite), and I Just Called To Say I Love You (which won).

Kirk--
Since you are our resident musician(one of them at least)---I had a request from a friend as to what songs would people be singing at weddings circa 1984? Any thoughts? For some reason, I am drawing a blank on this...

Leslie

Offline scottf.

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 11:17:49 am »
Pleeeaaaase, someone be older than me. When you said "teen flick," I thought of

Because They're Young (1960)

and

Palm Springs Weekend (1963)

Actually, I was a teen in the late 60s/early 70s, but I was a retro teen.