Author Topic: Correct Time to Drink Water - Some Tips  (Read 7191 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Correct Time to Drink Water - Some Tips
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:34:58 pm »
A friend emailed this info to me today. I'm not sure how correct it is, but I forward it onto you all here in good faith and in a spirit of better health for us all:

Correct timing to take water, will maximize its effectiveness to the human body.

Two (2) glass of water - After waking up -  Helps activate internal organs

One (1) glasses of water  - 30 minutes before meals - Helps digestion

One (1) glass of water - Before taking a bath - Helps lower blood pressure

One (1) glass of water - Before sleep  - To avoid stroke or heart attack

Please pass this on . . . .

Perhaps Paul or Leslie could advise if this is correct, or just another trashy email I've received. If the latter, I would be pleased to delete this thread. In the meantime, it may perhaps help to improve the health of us all. I am a great believer in water. I love it! Not your fancy bottled stuff. Nope! I love it straight from the tap and drink lots of it every day. We are blessed with lovely, sweet tap water here in Sydney. I probably wouldn't be so keen to drink tap water in many other parts of the world, where they recycle sewage, such as in London.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Correct Time to Drink Water - Some Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:13:50 pm »
If we had to manually 'activate' our internal organs, I daresay the majority of absent-minded people would be dead.  ;D ;)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:15:25 pm »
Drinking a glass of water before going to bed also induces getting up in the middle of the night to relieve oneself.  ;D Not exactly a good thing.

I also think drining water in the morning and before meals helps decrease overeating.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:18:28 pm »
Drinking a glass of water before going to bed also induces getting up in the middle of the night to relieve oneself.  ;D Not exactly a good thing.

I also think drining water in the morning and before meals helps decrease overeating.

I think it's best to drink water in the morning because you're dehydrated from going many hours without water while sleeping.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:23:05 pm »
A friend emailed this info to me today. I'm not sure how correct it is, but I forward it onto you all here in good faith and in a spirit of better health for us all:

Correct timing to take water, will maximize its effectiveness to the human body.

Two (2) glass of water - After waking up -  Helps activate internal organs

One (1) glasses of water  - 30 minutes before meals - Helps digestion

One (1) glass of water - Before taking a bath - Helps lower blood pressure

One (1) glass of water - Before sleep  - To avoid stroke or heart attack

Please pass this on . . . .

Perhaps Paul or Leslie could advise if this is correct, or just another trashy email I've received. If the latter, I would be pleased to delete this thread. In the meantime, it may perhaps help to improve the health of us all. I am a great believer in water. I love it! Not your fancy bottled stuff. Nope! I love it straight from the tap and drink lots of it every day. We are blessed with lovely, sweet tap water here in Sydney. I probably wouldn't be so keen to drink tap water in many other parts of the world, where they recycle sewage, such as in London.

Since you asked, Kerry, in my humble opinion, I would say that it's probably not "correct", as in "proven science", but rather vague and idiosyncratic, and essentially harmless.  Hydrating is certainly a good thing in general. 

For instance, your internal organs, whichever ones they mean, aren't inactive while you sleep!

Water helps digestion, but, I'm not sure the timing is that important.

The bath thing is strange.  A hot bath will cause vasodilation, and thus, lower your blood pressure whether or not you drink water.

There may be an association between severe dehydration and an increase in thrombosis (MI, stroke), but I doubt a glass of water at bedtime significantly changes the risk.  I'm with the Sheriff--you're more likely to trip over something on the way to the bathroom!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:01:42 am »
Since you asked, Kerry, in my humble opinion, I would say that it's probably not "correct", as in "proven science", but rather vague and idiosyncratic, and essentially harmless.  Hydrating is certainly a good thing in general. 

For instance, your internal organs, whichever ones they mean, aren't inactive while you sleep!

Water helps digestion, but, I'm not sure the timing is that important.

The bath thing is strange.  A hot bath will cause vasodilation, and thus, lower your blood pressure whether or not you drink water.

There may be an association between severe dehydration and an increase in thrombosis (MI, stroke), but I doubt a glass of water at bedtime significantly changes the risk.  I'm with the Sheriff--you're more likely to trip over something on the way to the bathroom!

Many thanks for your professional feedback, Paul.  I will forward your comments to the friend who originally sent them to me.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to drink the large amounts of water I already drink at present. I feel the better for it, especially after the long walk I've just returned from, on such a humid, summer day as this. I feel quite out of sorts and dehydrated if I don't get my daily water hit. And I must be a very heavy sleeper, because when I put my head on the pillow at night, I don't wake up again until morning.

Ta muchly, Paul.  :)   

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:12:14 pm »
Along these same lines, I was resarching 'natural' ways to control hypertension yesterday and I ran across more than one source on the web advocating large amounts of water.

Evidently, a 200 lb person should drink 100 oz of water a day.  This is quite a bit more than the 64 oz advocated by people like Weight Watchers.

I am going to try to increase my water - I'm always under at 32 or 48 ounces - I've mostly cut out caffeine entirely - but that's a helluva lot of water.  I'll be spending all day long in the bathroom.   :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:59:33 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 01:55:18 pm »
Directions for how to drink water?  This would be a perfect piece for the Onion.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 09:45:13 pm »
I am going to try to increase my water - I'm always under at 32 or 48 ounces - I've mostly cut out caffeine entirely - but that's a helluva lot of water.  I'll be spending all day long in the bathroom.   :laugh: :laugh:

I'm sure you'll feel better for it, Lynne. I do. And just think how much your freshly irrigated kidneys will thank you for it. They'll be positively jumping for joy! Yee-Haw!  :D

Re the bathroom thing, yes, certainly, it can be inconvenient at times. I get around it, however, by only drinking water when I know it's convenient to do so. It's a lot easier for me to do that, now that I'm retired. I no longer find myself stuck in meetings and peak-hour traffic jams. Nowadays, about the only time I find myself in an inconvenient situation is when I go to the theatre or cinema. On those occasions, I modify my behaviour by not drinking for a couple of hours before hand. Easy-peasy! Otherwise, I drink to my heart's content. It doesn't worry me to make lots of comfort stops. I figure my kidneys are healthy and functioning to their optimum efficiency and even my skin seems to be more fresh and healthy when I drink lots of water.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν