Author Topic: The Brokie Connection (a game)  (Read 72468 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
The Brokie Connection (a game)
« on: December 06, 2009, 01:09:38 pm »
In this new game, one person posts something - the name of an actor, a picture, a concept, anything, and the next person who comes along finds a way to tell us why that thing is Brokieish.  These first two examples are both by seriouscrayons.  The game's name is by Penthesilea.

(One person posts something.)
Judy Garland

(The next person explains one way Judy Garland is Brokieish.)
Judy Garland starred in The Wizard of Oz, in which the Wicked Witch of the East wore striped socks.  Heath Ledger wore striped socks.  Thus, Judy Garland is Brokieish.

(Then that person posts.)
Next: Weight Watchers

(The next person explains one way Weight Watchers is Brokieish.)
Well, my son really likes these red velvet bars I buy at Weight Watchers (one point each!). atz75 and cellardweller both love red velvet cake.  So there you go, Weight Watchers is Brokieish.

(Now here's one more example by me that will take us into the next post.)
Next: Diamonds

Offline Ellemeno

Re: The Brokie Connection (a game)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:13:27 pm »
Diamonds are known for their hardness.  In BBM, Jack says, "Shit that's hard."  Thus, diamonds are Brokieish.

Next: a fish bowl

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »

Alma says "And you know how me and the girls like fish."  Thus, a fish bowl is Brokieish.

Next:  The Sahara Desert
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 01:29:00 pm »

The lyrics to Pink Floyd's song "Wish You Were Here" remind a lot of Brokies of Jack and Ennis. One line in that song goes, "We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year." Thus, a fish bowl is Brokieish.

Oops, Meryl beat me! Is this one of those games that if you miss it you miss it, or can more than one person answer?

Well, rather than post a new challenge and make this too confusing, I'll work on Meryl's challenge.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 01:37:24 pm »
Oops, Meryl beat me! Is this one of those games that if you miss it you miss it, or can more than one person answer?

Well, rather than post a new challenge and make this too confusing, I'll work on Meryl's challenge.

I think you chose the best possibility. I'd say it's fine if more than one person post an answer, but only one person (the first, normally) posts a new challenge. Otherwise it's gets too confusing.

Elle, you started the game. Feel free to set the rules differently.

Still thinking about Meryl's Sahara Desert.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:44:29 pm »
I think you chose the best possibility. I'd say it's fine if more than one person post an answer, but only one person (the first, normally) posts a new challenge. Otherwise it's gets too confusing.

Elle, you started the game. Feel free to set the rules differently.

I agree, Ch. It's fun to see the different paths people take to make a connection.

Next:  The Sahara Desert

The Sahara Hotel, named after the Sahara Desert, is the only remaining hotel in Las Vegas that hosted the Rat Pack. Dean Martin was a member of the Rat Pack. Dean Martin's show-biz persona was a heavy drinker. Jack, as Lureen explained on the phone to Ennis, drank a lot. Thus, The Sahara Desert is Brokieish.

Next: The Rorschach test.

P.S. What a fun game, C! Thanks for starting it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:58:21 pm »
The Rorschach Test is Brokieish, because the images are mirrored ink-blots. Our movie has tons of examples where it is build just like that, its structure is ink-blot like and many scenes mirror another.

Next: Phil Collins

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 03:36:02 pm »
Phil Collins was in the group 'Genesis'

Jack and Ennis' time on Brokeback has been compared to the creation myth in the Book of Genesis.

Phil Collins is sooooo Brokeish.

Next: Citizen Kane

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 03:39:47 pm »
“In 1938, a young Orson Welles makes history when he performs a radio play he wrote based on Brokeback Mountain. His use of voices and sound effects is so convincing, thousands of listeners actually believe they are hearing two cowboys falling in love. Legend has it that dozens of people committed suicide fearing a wave of gay cowboyism. Three years later, Welles and his cowriter Herman Mankiewicz work a Brokeback Mountain joke into Citizen Kane but RKO insists that their reference to ‘stemming the rose’ be changed to ‘rosebud.’” ...

;D

Next: Cranberries

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 03:52:20 pm »
“In 1938, a young Orson Welles makes history when he performs a radio play he wrote based on Brokeback Mountain. His use of voices and sound effects is so convincing, thousands of listeners actually believe they are hearing two cowboys falling in love. Legend has it that dozens of people committed suicide fearing a wave of gay cowboyism. Three years later, Welles and his cowriter Herman Mankiewicz work a Brokeback Mountain joke into Citizen Kane but RKO insists that their reference to ‘stemming the rose’ be changed to ‘rosebud.’” ...

Good one, BCJ!

Next: Cranberries

A 2003 album by the rock band the Cranberries is titled Wake Up and Smell the Coffee. Coffee pots are an important symbol in BBM, and the substance itself is invoked in an important scene. Because the Cranberries are from Ireland, not Texas, they probably even drink coffee. Thus, Cranberries are Brokieish.