Author Topic: The Brokie Connection (a game)  (Read 72392 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokie Connection (a game)
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2009, 01:34:46 am »
Okay, friend, I will take you up on that. In the song Dream On, sung by Aerosmith, someone is definitely regretting the passage of time and opportunities left unrealized:

Every time that I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

Yeah, I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life
Is in books' written pages
Lived and learned from fools and
From sages
You know it's true
All the things come back to you

Even though Ennis said he didn't want to s-a-a-n-g, he knew the salty words to Strawberry Roan, and maybe his salty tears fell as he sat in the Mint Bar that night and watched two cowboys playing pool with each other, thinking these words:

Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laugh, sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good lord will take you away, yeah

Yeah, sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laugh, sing for the tear
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away

Dream On Dream On Dream On
Dream until the dream come true
Dream On Dream On Dream On
Dream until your dream comes true

Next: Dale's Pale Ale
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2009, 02:38:10 am »
Dale's Pale Ale

Brewed by:  Oskar Blues

Need I say more?

Dale's Pale Ale is very Brokeish.

Next:  january 6

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2009, 03:02:51 am »
January 6 is Epiphany, and Ennis indeed had some moments of epiphany towards the end of the story (lake scene argument, bus station, Twist house). Sadly, it was too late. :(

Thus, January 6 is clearly Brokieish.

Next: Lions

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2009, 03:22:29 am »
January 6 is Epiphany, and Ennis indeed had some moments of epiphany towards the end of the story (lake scene argument, bus station, Twist house). Sadly, it was too late. :(

Thus, January 6 is clearly Brokieish.

YES!  i was thinking of this:

Epiphany on Brokeback Mountain
Dr. David Jenkins, Candler School of Theology, Emory University, in Atlanta.

I wonder as I wander at the foot of Brokeback Mountain if the church has the capacity and courage to declare a Jubilee? – or an Epiphany? -  a time and space in which it would listen to the sacred love stories of Jack and Ennis or any of its members, setting aside worn-out labels such as “homosexual” for words we understand: son, daughter, friend, neighbor, sister, brother, partner. Could we listen well to the flesh-and-blood stories of fear and desolation, joy, discovery, liberation, belonging, and love?  Like the Truth and Reconciliation hearings in South Africa, could we bear to hear our own stories of crucifixion? Could we go to those places which have been off-limits to pulpits and pot-luck-suppers?

Listening to sacred stories is what we Christians are called to do. Perhaps if we listen well, we will be transformed both by the stories and by the Epiphany hope that with unexpected people God continues to surprise us   -   shock us  -   and continues to call us to off-limits places, continues to do A NEW  THING  in the world.

So how do I know when this new thing is of God?  When the story is true. When the news is good. When the light shines in the darkness and the darkness cannot overcome it. At the moment we call Epiphany, while Herod’s death-dealing decree echoed through the land, the magis  -  excluded from the promise  -  arrived at the stable in the hills near Bethlehem and took their place beside the shepherds.

http://www.covenantnetwork.org/sermon&papers/jenkins.htm

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2009, 03:26:44 am »
Good ones, everyone!

As originator of the game, I decree that if you come on a bear this thread, and no one has posted a Next: in the last 5 minutes, if you don't see the person in the thread, you can go ahead and post the Next:.  Folks, try to remember that part of posting an answer is also posting the Next:!

And feel free to just look around the room you're in to get an idea of what challenge to post.  You don't have to have a pre-determined right answer.  I saw a paper clip, chose it as the challenge, and southendmd gave a beautiful response I never would a thought of.

Now - what's Dale's Pale Ale and Oskar Blues?  I'm ignernt.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2009, 09:21:43 am »
Now - what's Dale's Pale Ale and Oskar Blues?  I'm ignernt.

It took me a minute, too. At first, I thought it was some arcane bit of Brokieana and thought, wow, I'm way out of my league here. But it's not arcane, just very clever. (I may still be out of my league!  ;D)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2009, 09:36:16 am »
Next: Lions

Jack and Ennis were always lion to their wives about their fishin trips.

Also, Lions Gate Films is based in Canada, a country where much of BBM was filmed. Its films include Jake Gyllenhaal's new movie Brothers (oh, and also Crash).

So for numerous reasons, Lions are clearly Brokieish.

Next: Dr. Peter Fox, a scientist formerly at the National Center for Atmospheric Research.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:42:34 pm by serious crayons »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2009, 12:07:23 pm »
Before he launched his Tetherless World Constellation devoted to the science of the World Wide Web, Dr. Fox was in charge of the High Altitude Observatory at NCAR. Jack and Ennis were in charge of a coupla High Altitude f**ks a year.

Plus, Jack wandered tetherless through the deserts of Texas for four years before he reunited with Ennis.

So Dr. Fox is very Brokeish!!

BTW, Oskar Blues in Lyons, Colorado, is where friend Chrissi first tasted Sweet Potato Fries, on our way to the Sweet Life at the Second Brokeback BBQ in Estes, Park, Colorado!! We didn't have enni Pale Ale on that trip. However, Dale's Pale Ale is my ale of choice as an ingredient in making the batter for a delish food that serious and I, and other Brokies, very much enjoy!

NEXT: Erick OK
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2009, 12:40:05 pm »
So Dr. Fox is very Brokeish!!

Yes, he was High Altitude's Fox!

BTW, Oskar Blues in Lyons, Colorado, is where friend Chrissi first tasted Sweet Potato Fries, on our way to the Sweet Life at the Second Brokeback BBQ in Estes, Park, Colorado!! We didn't have enni Pale Ale on that trip. However, Dale's Pale Ale is my ale of choice as an ingredient in making the batter for a delish food that serious and I, and other Brokies, very much enjoy!

I'm liking these multifaceted answers. Who knew how many different ways things could be Brokieish?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2009, 12:56:44 pm »

Yes! That was exactly my train of thoughts: from Oskar Blues, Lyons (where we had lunch) to Venice, where Ang Lee/BBM won the Golden Lion, and where the whole Brokie experience began.

I'm liking these multifaceted answers. Who knew how many different ways things could be Brokieish?

Yes, I'm also enjoying the different answers :).

Next is still: Erick OK (from Lee)